PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else go to Pacers open house?

Smoothdave1
05-30-2009, 08:44 PM
I got an email a week ago or so asking if I was interested in attending an open house at Conseco Fieldhouse for prospective season ticket holders. Wasn't sure if anyone else from PD attended?

It was pretty cool event as you started in the Best Locker Room with soft drinks and snacks. You were also able to walk back and take a tour of the Pacers locker room. Plus, there was a guy taking pictures of you for free next to a life size cut-out of Brandon Rush and you were able walk around and see their locker room and individual lockers. I was also able to go out on the floor and shoot free throws (I was 1-3) and look at available seats. You were also given some Fever tickets too, if interested, for the game on 6/9 against Seattle. Overall, a pretty cool event. Seemed like a pretty good crowd and hopefully it only helped increase interest in the Pacers.

Must be an NBA kind of day, because I stopped at a convenience store on the way home near my house and ran into Zach Randolph of the Clippers. He lives in the northside Indy suburbs during the summer and couldn't have been nicer. We talked some NBA and summer plans for a few minutes and he let me take a picture on my cell (too big to upload). He mentioned he just got into town a few days ago and would be spending all summer in Indy working out and spending time with family and friends. As much as people like to take shots at Zach, he was a really cool and friendly guy to me.

idioteque
05-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Interesting Randolph story, interesting how he would come back to Indy for the offseason while playing and living in LA otherwise, not a lot of people would do that.

Does he even have a record or is it just the stigma associated with those Jail Blazers teams?

Mr. Sobchak
05-31-2009, 11:17 AM
He's at least been arrested for a DUI.

BRushWithDeath
05-31-2009, 02:53 PM
He got into trouble in high school for some gun related charge or something. Which is probably why he didn't win Mr. Basketball. And the pro-IU media bias in this state gave it to the far less talented Jared Jeffries.

bambam
05-31-2009, 03:05 PM
He got into trouble in high school for some gun related charge or something. Which is probably why he didn't win Mr. Basketball. And the pro-IU media bias in this state gave it to the far less talented Jared Jeffries.

Well his brother got in toruble for gun issues here in Anderson at Ollies...Zach was there, but he had nothing to do with the situation.

Kemo
05-31-2009, 08:50 PM
Well his brother got in toruble for gun issues here in Anderson at Ollies...Zach was there, but he had nothing to do with the situation.

That's crazy ... My boy lives down the road from ol' Ollie D's ..lol

Nice to see a fellow A-Town poster up in here ...

Pacers13Colts12
05-31-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry but didn't Jared and Zach face off in the Finals? If anything, it just went to whoever won that game, which was Jared. Both had outstanding high school careers, but Zach was in trouble from time to time, and Jared was squeaky clean. I think it just came down to the finals really.

Smoothdave1
05-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Actually, Zach's Marion team beat a Bloomington North team that had Jeffries (Mr. Basketball that year) and a future Indiana Mr. Basketball, Carolina Tar Heel and Charlotte Bobcat in Sean May. I actually attended the game as my younger brothers were classmates with Jeffries and May.

By the way, I re-sized the picture of Zach and attached it. Like I said before, he was one of the nicest NBA players I've met and an overall cool guy. I think he likes being back in Indy as his family lives not too far away in Marion and still has a lot of connections to Indiana.

Big Smooth
05-31-2009, 11:30 PM
I sent my RSVP and got a message saying the Pacers ticket people would get back with me and they never did. I was really disappointed and looked forward to attending. :(

joeyd
06-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I went to the open house. It was fun, and I took advantage of the opportunity to take a shot on the court to get back up to a .500 free throw percentage! They had a couple of cheerleaders (Seazun and Jarin) on the court signing autos and posing with anyone that wanted a pic. And we took the tour of the locker room, which is always interesting.

I didn't see Zach Randolph, but I did see Eli Manning yesterday at the airport. He was just a few feet behind me on the escalator going down to the baggage claim area. I didn't even know he was behind me until a friend pointed out that there was a limo driver at the bottom of the escalator with a sign that read "Eli Manning!" So we waited at the bottom of the escalator and 5 seconds later, Manning is coming off of it and walking toward the driver. He was alone and carrying his own stuff---looked just like a normal guy until he was besieged by autograph requests. He obliged everyone that came up to him, then walked off to claim his bags. Seemed like a nice guy. But I guess Peyton was too busy to pick him up!