PDA

View Full Version : SportsGuy's officiating manifesto

Kegboy
05-29-2009, 12:55 PM
The disappointing thing is he builds to this really great crescendo, then blows it with pushing the solution off on others to do the work. I tried to chart the officials vs. the daily line for the Pacers years ago, got through the season, but then I lost the list of officials before I could compile it all.

Still, an entertaining read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090528&sportCat=nba

count55
05-29-2009, 01:02 PM
I read this yesterday, and meant to post it, but got distracted. He actually articulates a lot of the complaints I have about the way the game's changed over the last 15-20 years relatively well.

After you read this article, check out the following from 2003 (I think).

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/030226.html

A lot of the same themes.

Unclebuck
05-29-2009, 01:43 PM
I agree with some of what he has to say, although I'm not really sure what his solution is.

Of the things I disagree with is this - I can't think of another profession that works quite this way: No accountability, no repercussions, nothing. Whenever they make a crucial mistake -- such as all three refs missing J.R. Smith's jump ball violation that helped decide Game 2 last week -- the league invariably pulls its Frank Drebin routine and stands in front of a burning warehouse with fireworks exploding.

The refs are graded on every call they make - I think there is too much scrutiny - the refs are afraid to make calls. And missing the call on Smith had no impact on the outcome of that game or the outcome of that particular play. Today the league is very quick to criticze the refs and admit bad calls

Most of all the refs of today do not have the feel of the game that refs did 20 years ago. And that to me is the biggest problem.

LoneGranger33
05-29-2009, 01:46 PM
You do appreciate the Naked Gun reference though, right?

Shade
05-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Great article. Lots of truth in there.

Major Cold
05-30-2009, 07:08 AM
It is time for David Stern to move on. He is out of touch and micro-manages the game.

I have to agree with the sentiment that the NBA's reaction to the brawl has fueled the micro-management. They swung the pendulum completely the other way. But as Pacer fans we have done this with the types of players we want on our team.

We want nothing to do with guys with a checkered past, even if they have been genuinely rehabilitated (Chris Anderson). People were talking about not wanting OJ Mayo on the team because of what he did as a stupid high school kid.

granger
05-31-2009, 12:45 AM
Bill Simmons: The Cavs have the best team - they can play D, they can shoot 3's, they can post up Z, and they have LeBron. They have an answer for everything. Watch what they do to Orlando. They're going to single-team Howard (which Boston should have done), stay home on the 3-point shooters, swarm high screens and drive the shooters away from the basket ... and Orlando is going to flounder offensively. You watch. Dwight Howard couldn't score 40 points in a game if he was going against Yi Jianlian's chair.That's how you beat Orlando - make Howard score 40 to beat you and shut down their shooters. [...]

Dwight Howard (Ohio): Who is guarding me 1 on 1? Please don't say Ben Wallace who might actually be a mummy at this point. And if you mention the guy with the glass feet or the crazy hair I am coming to find you.
SportsNation Bill Simmons: Dwight, you have no moves other than that Sling Hook that is going to break a backboard soon. The FG stats for you when Orlando posts you up are BRUTAL.

7:37 -The Magic are on the clock with the first pick. If they're smart, they take Emeka Okafor. If they're dumb, they take Howard. It's that simple.
7:39 -- They go with Howard. Of course they do. He's the third high schooler taken overall in the past four years, as well as the first top pick with braces since Pervis Ellison. Not a good sign. "Praise the Lord!" screams Dwight Howard Sr., who didn't realize that the Lord had Okafor going first in his mock draft

7:49 -- Bobcats GM Bernie Bickerstaff seems woozy from landing Okafor; he's making my dad seem lively right now. You can't blame him -- they just ended up with a possible franchise center
lol

kester99
05-31-2009, 01:04 AM
This is the current link for that article. It's been moved.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090528&sportCat=nba

He mentions Jeff VanGundy's idea of a 'penalty box' a couple of times, and bemoans the choppiness of the game as foul calling becomes more strict. He also cites inconsistency as an issue. And, yes, he does offer one solution, or at least a suggestion: that the NBA invest some money in a referee development system. Not a bad long-term solution.

I don't think the solution we may get to the inconsistency...more instant replay...is going to cure the choppiness.

quinnthology
05-31-2009, 03:20 AM
The refs are graded on every call they make - I think there is too much scrutiny - the refs are afraid to make calls. And missing the call on Smith had no impact on the outcome of that game or the outcome of that particular play.

It was an obvious violation on one of the biggest plays in the game, it doesn't matter if what he did had an effect on the outcome. Waiting for the refs to make a mistake that actually matters is addressing the problem too late - they should address problems when they happen regardless of the outcome so they don't happen again in the future. And it DID matter, the Nuggets got the tip. I'm not familiar with the rules here, but I know for a fact that it would either have been a) a rejump, or b) Lakers ball. That means it wouldn't have certainly been the Nuggets ball like it was.

Also, Simmons predicted Yao Ming would be a flop, too. His Dwight Howard miscall was no surprise, and it wasn't like a lot of us didn't think Emeka would be great, too. Howard's offensive game is as shaky as Simmons describes it, and it's proven when 60-70% of his points are from dunks.