PDA

View Full Version : Great read on Rush!

pianoman
05-29-2009, 12:29 PM
If there is one thing that Brandon has inherited from Danny, it's his work ethic. This guy wants to do great. I think he will be a huge part of our team next year. I only hope Roy can do the same! enjoy

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/may/29/ready-start/?mens_basketball

NuffSaid
05-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Good to know BRush's putting in lots of off-season work. Hopefully, he comes back next year and picks up right where he left off.

Hicks
05-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Encouraging.

naptownmenace
05-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Here's a video clip of Brandon's workout routine from the Kansas City Star.

http://videos.kansascity.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=4311773

Trophy
05-29-2009, 03:18 PM
He's only gonna get better that's all I can say and I'm sure everyone can agree.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVrMO1V_0Ds&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVrMO1V_0Ds&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Putnam
05-29-2009, 03:44 PM
At the end of naptownmenace's video, Brandon seems to say it is harder to work for himself than for the trainer. The article in pianoman's OP, though, explains the name of the other personal trainier is Bill Self, so the question was which of the two personal triners is running him harder. I may be the only one who was perplexed by that statement, but if you read the article is is all clear. Anyhow, the Pacers got a fine player there.

I wonder if anyone is going to use the quote from O'Brien. . .

“He (O’Brien) told me to go home, work on stuff off the dribble and get stronger in the weight room,” the Kansas City native noted. “He said I have everything else. I’m able to shoot the ball. The main focus is for me being stronger and working on my ballhandling.”

. . . as evidence that the coach has no interest in defense. Or that Rush's defense is already as good as O'Brien expects it to be. Or perhaps that strength is all Rush needs to improve his defense.

count55
05-29-2009, 03:50 PM
At the end of naptownmenace's video, Brandon seems to say it is harder to work for himself than for the trainer. The article in pianoman's OP, though, explains the name of the other personal trainier is Bill Self, so the question was which of the two personal triners is running him harder. I may be the only one who was perplexed by that statement, but if you read the article is is all clear. Anyhow, the Pacers got a fine player there.

. . . as evidence that the coach has no interest in defense. Or that Rush's defense is already as good as O'Brien expects it to be. Or perhaps that strength is all Rush needs to improve his defense.

Bill Self is the head coach at Kansas.

Trophy
05-29-2009, 03:52 PM
I always like hearing why players pick their numbers.

His story is because JaRon wore 4 in college and Kareem wore 21 in college so added together comes out to be his #25.

OakMoses
05-29-2009, 03:55 PM

First, the reporter asks Brandon to compare his current personal trainer to Bill Self, his college coach. That's pretty reasonable since it's a KC paper and Self is still coaching at Kansas.

Second, I hope no one uses that quote in that manner because I think it would be a bit silly.

Third, and I probably show my own ignorance here, but how exactly does a player improve upon his defense via solo work with a personal trainer during the offseason. Added strength will certain help Brandon become a better defender, but that seems to be about the only physical tool that Brandon can add to his defensive arsenal via this kind of workout. The other aspects, such as maintaining focus and an increased understanding of the team concept, can't really be worked on apart from the team.

GrangerRanger
05-29-2009, 04:07 PM
First, the reporter asks Brandon to compare his current personal trainer to Bill Self, his college coach. That's pretty reasonable since it's a KC paper and Self is still coaching at Kansas.

Second, I hope no one uses that quote in that manner because I think it would be a bit silly.

Third, and I probably show my own ignorance here, but how exactly does a player improve upon his defense via solo work with a personal trainer during the offseason. Added strength will certain help Brandon become a better defender, but that seems to be about the only physical tool that Brandon can add to his defensive arsenal via this kind of workout. The other aspects, such as maintaining focus and an increased understanding of the team concept, can't really be worked on apart from the team.

As a former player myself, I can tell you that ball handling drills (specially at the pace shown in this vid) don't give you that much cardio. Ray Allen, Reggie, Kobe, all the greats are good because they still have something in the tank at the end of the fourth. To not only be a great player, but a defensive stopper you need stamina and fitness.

OakMoses
05-29-2009, 04:14 PM
As a former player myself, I can tell you that ball handling drills (specially at the pace shown in this vid) don't give you that much cardio. Ray Allen, Reggie, Kobe, all the greats are good because they still have something in the tank at the end of the fourth. To not only be a great player, but a defensive stopper you need stamina and fitness.

The article implies that Brandon's working out 3 times a day. I'm just guessing that it's not all ball-handling and shooting drills. I'd be willing to bet he's doing quite a bit of cardio work as well.

I know there's always room for improvement, but I was actually very impressed with Rush's stamina last year. He had several games with 40+ minutes and averaged 34 mpg in April. I very rarely remember that Brandon looked tired on the court.

Unclebuck
05-29-2009, 04:18 PM

You can certainly improve your individual defense via solo work. By getting quicker, stronger, by improving lateral quickness, you can also work on some individual defensive drills by yourself that can help

Smoothdave1
05-29-2009, 04:55 PM
For those curious or wondering, Roy has spent most of the off-season in Indy working out with the Pacers and their trainers. Same thing for Josh McRoberts too. Hopefully the off-season willingness and hard work will pay off for Brandon, Roy and Josh this fall.

rexnom
05-29-2009, 05:49 PM
I wanna say something that will make Shade mad. Instead, I'll wait five years and collect what's coming my way then.

pianoman
05-29-2009, 06:39 PM
For those curious or wondering, Roy has spent most of the off-season in Indy working out with the Pacers and their trainers. Same thing for Josh McRoberts too. Hopefully the off-season willingness and hard work will pay off for Brandon, Roy and Josh this fall.

source? where did you hear this?

Putnam
05-30-2009, 08:05 AM
I hope no one uses that quote in that manner because I think it would be a bit silly.

I do too.

MyFavMartin
05-30-2009, 08:48 AM
How do you hit the weight room to add strength without it affecting your shooting? Don't go for bulk, just strength?

Los Angeles
05-30-2009, 05:15 PM
How do you hit the weight room to add strength without it affecting your shooting? Don't go for bulk, just strength?

Good question.

This is only a guess, but I imagine that you must work on your strength and shooting at the same time.

I can only say this based on my own life but last summer I toned up quite a bit and my drawing ability (of all things) suffered. My pool game and dart game also went wacko until I was able to get used to the "fitter" me.

Of course, I've been working non-stop since January, so all that progress has been reversed. :unimpress

GrangerRanger
05-30-2009, 05:31 PM
After your done lifting you just go and shoot. You don't necessarily practice shooting, just shooting around will keep strength training from affecting your shot.

jeffg-body
05-31-2009, 12:45 AM
Nice, nice article. This just shows how good of a deal we got last year with the trade.