PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Win A Title First: Fever of Pacers?

NuffSaid
05-29-2009, 10:45 AM
I was reading the Fever's '09/10 season primer (http://www.wnba.com/features/preview2009_fever.html) and in it is some title talk. So, I began to wonder which team would win a title first, the Fever or the Pacers?

I'd have to say the Fever because they have the shorter season and the fact that they've gone alot farther in retooling than the Pacers have to date. That's not to say the Pacers aren't working towards making themselves more competitive. They'll get there and by that I mean hopefully it will be this upcoming NBA season, but for the here and now I'd say the Fever are in a better position to better compete than the Pacers simply because they've answered some of the questions that hurt them last year, i.e., having all of their players available to start training camp, addressing their PG problem, strengthing their front court AND adding depth to their bench. But one of the biggest additions IMO has to be adding veteran talent in Yolanda "YoG" Griffin and Tamecka Dixon. I think their winning veteran leadership will bring a new winning attitude to the Fever lockerroom.

Good Luck, Ladies!

Shade
05-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Hard to say, but probably the Fever, because they're currently closer. They'd be even closer with a different coach.

duke dynamite
05-29-2009, 12:28 PM
I choose Myself. I win.

NuffSaid
05-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Duke,

There's no "I" in basketball. Sorry...no championship for solo acts. :D

grace
05-29-2009, 08:21 PM
If the Fever are going to win it all they better do it this year because I'm not sure how long they or the league are going to be around.

Roaming Gnome
05-29-2009, 10:56 PM
If the Fever are going to win it all they better do it this year because I'm not sure how long they or the league are going to be around.

Odds say the Fever because there are fewer teams in the WNBA to compete against, but Grace's point is nothing to sneeze at.

ABADays
05-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Hard to say, but probably the Fever, because they're currently closer. They'd be even closer with a different coach.

Yep!

BillS
05-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Technically the Pacers already won a title or three in the ABA, but I get what you mean...

Trophy
05-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Probably the Fever. Other than that I second Duke's response.

duke dynamite
05-31-2009, 09:52 PM
Probably the Fever. Other than that I second Duke's response.
:dance:

idioteque
06-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Probably the Pacers, because I don't think the Fever will exist much longer. Women's basketball just is not that popular and the NBA can't lose money on this venture forever.

Natston
06-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Did they explain how the women's good fundamentals make up for their inability to dunk?

Trophy
06-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Did they explain how the women's good fundamentals make up for their inability to dunk?

I remember there was a woman that was 7-2 in the WNBA. I don't know if she ever dunked but she definatly could've.

http://www.bigfrog.net/archives/capt.nygb10408030156.sun_liberty_nygb104.jpg

Mr_Smith
06-02-2009, 11:17 PM
The fever are more fit to win a championship right now better than the pacers. Anybody who thinks otherwise is smokin' crack.

Roaming Gnome
06-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Probably the Pacers, because I don't think the Fever will exist much longer. Women's basketball just is not that popular and the NBA can't lose money on this venture forever.

Eventhough I do agree with your assessment, the NBA isn't financially vested in the WNBA as you are suggesting. When the WNBA first started, it was owned and operated by the NBA and the parent teams of the franchises. In 2002 Rich Uncle David Stern cut the funding to the league. With this being done, many teams that were owned by parent NBA clubs sold off their WNBA franchises to local independent ownership. The ownership structure of the league changed from that point. The NBA has been offering help in on-site support, ticket sales, sponsorship sales, and marketing, but not in areas of cold hard cash.

Yes, Sterns influence has probably done a lot to keep the league afloat by getting the right people investing in the concept of the WNBA. He's given the WNBA enough legitimacy to continue to breathe life into the league, but it doesn't go as deep as keeping the books in the black.

grace
06-03-2009, 05:22 PM

The weight of the uterus precludes females from getting enough vertical lift to get the ball over the rim and into the basket.

Explain to me how dunking a basketball is good fundamental basketball.

ABADays
06-06-2009, 09:27 AM
The weight of the uterus precludes females from getting enough vertical lift to get the ball over the rim and into the basket.

Explain to me how dunking a basketball is good fundamental basketball.

Touche