PDA

View Full Version : Violet Palmer to leave the NBA

Basketball Fan
05-28-2009, 03:37 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30986759/

First female NBA referee leaving for college job

updated 7 minutes ago
SAN BRUNO, Calif. - Violet Palmer is leaving the NBA after 12 years officiating games to become coordinator of womenís basketball officials for the West Coast Conference.

Her hiring was announced Thursday.

Palmer became the first woman to officiate a major U.S. professional sport when she made her NBA debut on Oct. 31, 1997. She has spent the last 12 seasons in the NBA, and officiated four playoff games and more than 700 regular season games. She also worked in the CBA and WNBA.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement | your ad here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before working in pro basketball, Palmer spent nine seasons officiating in the womenís college ranks. She worked five NCAA womenís Final Fours, and officiated in the West Coast Conference, Pac-10, WAC, Big Sky and Big West.

Shade
05-28-2009, 03:39 PM
:dance: :fireworks :dance:

BillS
05-28-2009, 03:40 PM
I hope she has great success in her new career and does not find it necessary to return.

aceace
05-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Good luck Violet... can't say that I'm really sad right now but I wish you the best.

Coop
05-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Sweet Jesus..this coupled with all the UK controversy, and just so happening to run into Tom Crean yesterday. Things are looking up around here! :D

duke dynamite
05-28-2009, 03:47 PM
WOO HOO!

http://sarcasticgamer.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/woohoo.gif

Jonathan
05-28-2009, 03:49 PM
I am just worried she will be replaced with a worse official.

Unclebuck
She just wasn't a very good ref. Although I did see her doing a first round playoff game a few weeks back, so she must not grade out too poorly

Sollozzo

Not possible

Trophy
05-28-2009, 03:51 PM
If Dick Bavetta retires, it'll all be good.

BillS
05-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Not possible

Never, never, never, NEVER challenge Worse. <i><b>Never</b></i>.

count55
05-28-2009, 04:10 PM

If there's nothing my professional life...and the years of 2004-2007 as a Pacer fan (and roughly 1977-1983)...has taught me, it's that it can always get worse...

but...

for now...

:dance::buddies::buddies::buddies::buddies::dance: :dance::dance::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: :jump::dancingba:dancingba:dancingba:brilliant::da ncingsager::ohyeah:

Hicks
05-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Can't complain.

ChicagoJ
05-28-2009, 04:21 PM
I wish her the best of luck in her new job and hope she has a long, satisfying career there. Really long.

jhondog28
05-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Maybe they could get Hakeem to take over. Ya know instead of him calling a goal tend he could just swat the ball away shake his finger and say, " Na Na dats goaltending"

Major Cold
05-28-2009, 04:38 PM
I just wish the first female ref was incredible, so that the next time the next girl doesn't have to be in such a negative light.

count55
05-28-2009, 04:49 PM
I just wish the first female ref was incredible, so that the next time the next girl doesn't have to be in such a negative light.

I think part of the problem was there was no place for her to hide. All of the guys just kind of blur together, but you knew every call she made.

I thought she was bad, but I always thought Donaghy and Garretson were the worst, and that was before the Donaghy scandal.

I also was very unimpressed with Haywoode Workman this year.

Naptown_Seth
05-28-2009, 04:55 PM
I honestly wonder if there was any internal pressure for her to move along. They had to know how much she was struggling, and while she might have gotten that 1st round gig this year her resume clearly indicates generally poor grading that kept her playoff games extremely limited. I mean 4 games in 12 years. Yikes.

Gamble1
05-28-2009, 04:55 PM
:dance: :fireworks :dance:
Now she can spend more time with Shade.:happydanc

maragin
05-28-2009, 05:01 PM
First move for the best offseason ever?

JB24
05-28-2009, 05:11 PM
espn are claiming that the Associated Press was wrong. She will continue to referre in the NBA.

Really hope they're wrong.

Kuq_e_Zi91
05-28-2009, 05:21 PM
If this is true, 1 down, many more to go.

TMJ31
05-28-2009, 05:23 PM
HALLE-FREAKIN-LUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aero
05-28-2009, 05:26 PM
there is a god. yes there must be. thank the above.

BillS
05-28-2009, 05:29 PM

Not possible

espn are claiming that the Associated Press was wrong. She will continue to referre in the NBA.

See? SEE? :censored::muttering

Shade
05-28-2009, 05:35 PM

I knew it was too good to be true. I've been having a really crappy day, so it was obvious that nothing good would stick.

TMJ31
05-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Awwww man...

Say it ain't so ESPN!

Kemo
05-28-2009, 08:02 PM
I wish her the best... but as the old saying goes....................don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you ........... lol

Kegboy
05-28-2009, 08:22 PM
I'll never say she's good, but I remember a lot of refs that were worse, including Dee Katner. Two things in her defense:

- I never saw her target a player, which is really saying something, because she got a lot of ****.
- I saw her stand up to Dale Davis when he was in a full-on seething rage. That takes major cojones. Grace was convinced he was gonna snap her neck.

Kraft
05-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Yeah, she's keeping her NBA gig to go along with the WCC job. Read it on the wire at work.

Shade
05-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Great. She already did a terrible job when her attention wasn't divided. :rolleyes:

pianoman
05-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Well, if this changes, and she leaves the nba totally, the pacers will add 8 games to the W column. I hate to blame losses on refs, but she really called some terrible games. Some people should never referee, and she is one of them.

Bball
05-29-2009, 01:38 AM
What a roller coaster ride. I'm glad I read the entire thread before replying.

IMO the problem teams like the recent Pacers had with a ref like Violet Palmer is that the team was rarely good enough to overcome bad officiating/calls. Let alone inconsistent calls.

A really good team can usually find a way to rise above bad officiating and come out on top regardless... but a so-so team having a great game can be totally derailed with a couple of bad calls or missed plays.

Coop
05-29-2009, 01:53 AM
Well said, Bball. I also agree with whoever made the comment about how she is identified a lot easier. That's a great point I haven't thought of before.

Major Cold
05-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Do we have links that might lead to a title change. I would hate for another poster, like Bball, to go through a roller coaster.

jhondog28
05-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Can anyone look at see what our record was when VP was officiating games this season.

BillS
05-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Can anyone look at see what our record was when VP was officiating games this season.

I don't think it matters - she isn't biased, she's just bad.

NuffSaid
05-29-2009, 01:01 PM
It's not that I hated Violet Parker as an NBA ref, it's just that I can recall only one time where she officiated a Pacers game that they actually won! Everytime I see her referring a Pacers game I automatically chaulk it up as a loss.

I attribute her as a jinx for the Pacers. It's for that reason alone that I'm glad I will never see her officiating in the NBA again...'least not a Pacers game anyway.

Good Luck, Violet.

NuffSaid
05-29-2009, 01:04 PM
What a roller coaster ride. I'm glad I read the entire thread before replying.

IMO the problem teams like the recent Pacers had with a ref like Violet Palmer is that the team was rarely good enough to overcome bad officiating/calls. Let alone inconsistent calls.

A really good team can usually find a way to rise above bad officiating and come out on top regardless... but a so-so team having a great game can be totally derailed with a couple of bad calls or missed plays.
The latter could have been what happened to the Nuggets in Game 6 against the Lakers. A few bad, questionable or non-calls and they couldn't recover no matter how well they played throughout.

special ed
05-29-2009, 01:27 PM
I would agree with those statements that she was more noticeable, therefore her bad calls were too. Ted Bernhardt was a decent ref, IMO, did a number of playoff games, but quietly, with no fanfare, just disappeared. Donaghy had the high profile criminal disappearance. Haywood is stumbling, learning OJT. Meanwhile the old guys still seem to be the best.
When does the new blood take over?

grace
05-29-2009, 02:26 PM
For all of you who are thrilled that she's leaving there's a pretty good chance she's going to be replaced by someone just like her or worse. Personally, I didn't think she was all that bad. Yes, she had a way of calling the game. Every ref does. She's been around long enough that teams should be able to adjust.

- I saw her stand up to Dale Davis when he was in a full-on seething rage. That takes major cojones. Grace was convinced he was gonna snap her neck.

Yes, I remember both of us yelling, "Don't do it Dale!"

I do have a rather humorous Violet story. Last season I was watching a Bucks game in which she was working. She made some call against the Bucks and I heard Scott Skiles scream "Violet no!" She gave him a tech. I called Kegboy and said "Obviously she thought he said Violet is a 'ho."

Bball
05-31-2009, 04:21 AM
For all of you who are thrilled that she's leaving there's a pretty good chance she's going to be replaced by someone just like her or worse. Personally, I didn't think she was all that bad. Yes, she had a way of calling the game. Every ref does. She's been around long enough that teams should be able to adjust.

Yes, I remember both of us yelling, "Don't do it Dale!"

I do have a rather humorous Violet story. Last season I was watching a Bucks game in which she was working. She made some call against the Bucks and I heard Scott Skiles scream "Violet no!" She gave him a tech. I called Kegboy and said "Obviously she thought he said Violet is a 'ho."

Ummm... Do you have too many posters on ignore or did I miss something? ;)
When I last left this thread it was being reported she'd ADDED a job to her resume but would continue her NBA gig as a ref... :sad:

-Bball

grace
05-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Ummm... Do you have too many posters on ignore or did I miss something? ;)
When I last left this thread it was being reported she'd ADDED a job to her resume but would continue her NBA gig as a ref... :sad:

-Bball

As far as I'm concerned I don't have enough people on ignore.

Bball
05-31-2009, 11:31 AM
As far as I'm concerned I don't have enough people on ignore.

:rimshot:
:lol: