PDA

View Full Version : Wells & Bruno, both have updates on Lorbek and Barac

Will Galen
05-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Bruno's update is post #8.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2009/05/an_update_on_lo.html

May 26, 2009
An update on Lorbek and Barac (http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2009/05/an_update_on_lo.html)

Posted by Mike Wells
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/mugs/mwells.jpg
THE `BURG - Some of you have asked about Erazem Lorbek and Stanko Barac, who were drafted in the second round by the Pacers in 2005 and 2007, respectively.

Lorbek averaged a career-high 14.6 points and 5.0 rebounds while shooting 60 percent from the field and 44 percent on 3-pointers in helping CSKA Moscow make the EuroLeague title game.

"He can shoot from the elbow and he's a smart offensive player," Pacers director of scouting Joe Ash said. "He can play in the NBA."

Lorbek is under contract with CSKA Moscow for another year. The Pacers will have to decide if they want to bring him over to the NBA after that.

Barac didn't have as much luck as Lorbek this season.

Barac, who played on the Croatian Olympic team last summer, averaged 4.0 points and 3.6 rebounds with Tau Ceramica. Barac broke a bone in his foot late in the season and currently has a broken bone in his hand. He's under contract with Tau for two more seasons.

President Larry Bird, general manager David Morway, coach Jim O'Brien and the scouting department are heading to Chicago this week for the pre-draft combine.

They'll then split up and go watch group workouts in Minnesota, Golden State and New Jersey.
The Pacers won't work out potential draft picks at Conseco Fieldhouse again until June 11.

Here are some of the names of players expected to be at the fieldhouse at some point before the draft.:

--Jeff Teague (Wake Forest)
--Ty Lawson (North Carolina)
--DeJuan Blair (Pittsburgh)
--Wayne Ellington (North Carolina)
--Robert Vaden (UAB)

There will obviously be more than that, including the possibility of Stephen Curry working out for the Pacers.

owl
05-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Curry in some ways reminds me of Reggie. They look similar in the face but Curry is much shorter. Both are scorers from deep. I could see Curry dropping to 13. I am not sure
the Pacers need him.

cramerica
05-26-2009, 09:58 PM
What was the point in drafting these two?

Will Galen
05-26-2009, 10:02 PM
What was the point in drafting these two?

I don't think Bird thinks to much of second rounders. He probably just took flyers on the Euro's he thought had potential.

count55
05-26-2009, 10:05 PM
I don't think Bird thinks to much of second rounders. He probably just took flyers on the Euro's he thought had potential.

We also didn't have any money to spend at the time, so he was just parking somebody overseas for awhile.

pacergod2
05-26-2009, 10:22 PM
I think we had just come off of two seasons where we paid the luxury tax and that 2005 draft was the last year (05-06) we were in LT land. Those two players did not therefore count against our salary cap to hold their rights overseas.

ChicagoPacer
05-27-2009, 01:41 AM
Financial issues aside, how many college players picked in the second round actually turn into anything? From the last 10 drafts, these are the guys with career averages of over 10 points picked in round 2:

Michael Redd, Gilbert Arenas, Mo Williams, Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver, Ryan Gomes, Ramon Sessions, and Mario Chalmers. Keep in mind Arenas was picked 30th overall (= to last pick of first now).

From a smaller pool of guys: Ginobili, Scola, Navarro, Okur. Keep in mind it takes a lot of Euros 3 to 5 years to come over, so we're only working from maybe 6 drafts for these players rather than 10. The actual odds of getting a contributor are maybe 2-3 times higher going with the best Euros available in round 2 rather than college players.

Or rather the odds were 2-3 times higher. With the exchange rate, it might be harder to convince these guys to come over now.

Will Galen
05-27-2009, 05:04 AM
http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5800025948

Bruno, Lorbek, Barac still on Pacers' radar (http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5800025948)
May 26, 2009
The Pacers' two European prospects are still on the radar, albeit in different vectors.

Slovenian Erazem Lorbek, the former Michigan State forward drafted No. 46 overall in 2005, is coming off the best season of his career, while Croatian Stanko Barac (taken at No. 39 in 2007) struggled before breaking a bone in his foot in April.

http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/lorbek_240_raptors.jpgThe 6-9 Lorbek averaged a career-best 14.6 points and 5.0 rebounds in helping CSKA Moscow reach the EuroLeague title game (falling 73-71, ironically, to Sarunas Jasikevicius and Panathinaikos).

Lorbek shot .600 from the field and .444 from the 3-point line in 21 EuroLeague games. He was named the league's MVP for March and April (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/48243/180/item) (the NBA equivalent of Player of the Month) and earned second-team All-EuroLeague honors after the season concluded.

"He's only 25, he had a very good year, he's getting better and he's been playing at the highest level of European competition for several years," said Joe Ash, the Pacers' Director of Scouting, who watched Lorbek closely during the EuroLeague Final Four earlier this month in Berlin. "This was probably his best year. He had excellent talent around him and an excellent coach in Ettore Messina.

"In previous years he played more around the elbow but this year they used him inside and he showed a lot of effectiveness."

Lorbek has one year remaining on what Ash described as a "very good" contract with CSKA Moscow. After that, the Pacers must decide his NBA future.

"I think he's an NBA player," said Ash. "He's a very good passer. He can make the elbow jumper and deeper and he's just a smart player.

"He isn't a high-flying shot-blocker type. He rebounds his position and he has gotten stronger, although they don't lift like we do."

http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/barac_240_bogut.jpgBarac, who turns 23 in August, averaged 4.0 points and 3.6 rebounds in 14 games with Tau Ceramica before injuring his foot and missing the rest of the EuroLeague season. He is expected to compete once again with the Croatian national team.

Barac has two more seasons remaining on his contract with Tau Ceramica.

"Stanko had a tough year," said Ash. "He was playing behind Tiago Splitter and Will McDonald so his minutes were scattered. I still think there's a lot of potential there."

The Pacers are hoping to add at least one more solid big man to the frontcourt rotation this summer but neither Lorbek nor Barac factor into those plans. It's not unusual for teams to stash second-round picks overseas, hoping they develop into stronger prospects with experience. Houston has the rights to seven international players, Portland six.

Lorbek has grown into a legitimate NBA prospect. Barac, an athletic 7-footer, is still tracking in that direction. There are no guarantees but there are possibilities.

"We think they're still good assets," said Ash.

rexnom
05-27-2009, 06:47 AM
this thread makes me very happy

Noodle
05-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Lorbek sounds like a possiblity. Not to be negative, but I remember his bio described him as a scorer and a defensive liablity. Do we really want that? This team needs defense.

Slick Pinkham
05-27-2009, 08:02 AM
I hope that the Pacers can draft Nick Calathes in the 2nd round this year and let him play in Greece for a few years while retaining his rights. In principle this route is a good way to take a flyer on marginal players and not commit a roster spot, while hoping they develop elsewhere (ala Antonio Davis, now perhaps in a smaller way Lorbek). Everyone seems to think Calathes has the skill set and great size to be a good NBA PG but needs maturity and to work hard on his shot. A few years in Greece should do both for him.

Jonathan
05-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Pacertom- I believe the this the year the Pacers draft an upperclassman out of college and give him a year shot to play Dionte Christmas or Jodie Meeks are worth the 52nd pick. They might pan out.

OakMoses
05-27-2009, 11:16 AM
--Jeff Teague (Wake Forest)
--Ty Lawson (North Carolina)
--DeJuan Blair (Pittsburgh)
--Wayne Ellington (North Carolina)
--Robert Vaden (UAB)

What does everybody think? Are the good players refusing to work out for us, or are we just not inviting them?

naptownmenace
05-27-2009, 12:18 PM
What does everybody think? Are the good players refusing to work out for us, or are we just not inviting them?

I think more players will be doing the combined workouts this year to cut down on all the traveling.

The article said that the Pacers will be going to Chicago this week for the pre-draft combine. They then might invite more players after they watch the group workouts in Minnesota, Golden State and New Jersey to get a second look at the players that really shined at the combine and group workouts.

Jonathan
05-27-2009, 12:22 PM

Projected top ten players are refusing to work out for the Pacers. Griffen, Hill, Rubio, & Harden will be long gone before the Pacers pick. I do not believe Clark, Evans, Jennings, and Derozen are even realistic options for teams outside of the top ten. These players have nothing to gain by working out for any team outside of the top ten.

OakMoses
05-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Projected top ten players are refusing to work out for the Pacers. Griffen, Hill, Rubio, & Harden will be long gone before the Pacers pick. I do not believe Clark, Evans, Jennings, and Derozen are even realistic options for teams outside of the top ten. These players have nothing to gain by working out for any team outside of the top ten.

But what about Holiday, James Johnson, Eric Maynor, Terrence Williams, Gerald Henderson? I know some of those guys will be at the big workouts, but I'd like to see us bring them in individually as well.

On that list of guys, there's only one who I won't be angry with them for drafting, and that's Blair. If they pick him I'll just be in "wait and see" mode.

Jonathan
05-27-2009, 12:30 PM
I would be very suprised if Holiday works out with a team oustide of the top ten. The Pacers will get Henderson, Williams, & James Johnson for an individual work out.

count55
05-27-2009, 12:39 PM

I think:

There's a decent chance the Pacers will have trouble getting some of the better prospects to come work out for them because they'll fall in the "dead zone", and players won't think they'll fall all the way down to 13...Guys like Evans and perhaps Holliday.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showpost.php?p=886308&postcount=10

:cool: ;)

Since86
05-27-2009, 01:39 PM
I hope that the Pacers can draft Nick Calathes in the 2nd round this year and let him play in Greece for a few years while retaining his rights. In principle this route is a good way to take a flyer on marginal players and not commit a roster spot, while hoping they develop elsewhere (ala Antonio Davis, now perhaps in a smaller way Lorbek). Everyone seems to think Calathes has the skill set and great size to be a good NBA PG but needs maturity and to work hard on his shot. A few years in Greece should do both for him.

There is no way he will go for that. He didn't hire an agent for a reason. He still has two years eligiblity at Florida.

If that were going to happen, he would go back to school, then he could sign as a free agent with any team at any time, ala Morris from Kentucky a few years ago.

count55
05-27-2009, 02:01 PM
There is no way he will go for that. He didn't hire an agent for a reason. He still has two years eligiblity at Florida.

If that were going to happen, he would go back to school, then he could sign as a free agent with any team at any time, ala Morris from Kentucky a few years ago.

Calathes has already signed with Pathaninadfionasdlfkjalskjdfakos

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bk-calathes-turning-pro-greece-052309,0,5121197.story

Since86
05-27-2009, 02:07 PM
WHAT!? How did I miss that?

I understand the money but damn......

Kuq_e_Zi91
05-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Panathinaikos is dominating in Europe. I can see why Calathes made the choice to play over there. It also doesn't hurt that he has Greek citizenship.

I'm more interested to see the influence Spanoulis and Jasikevicius have on him. It should be great to see Calathes apprentice under them.

Since86
05-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Panathinaikos is dominating in Europe.

He played for their Jr. National team, and has said he didn't like being over there.

The 2010 draft is deeper, so it doesn't help his draft stock for atleast two years. Also, unless he keeps signing one year deals, he will have a buyout clause.

He would have found a fit in the NBA this year. He is an amazing player. He is very bland, so he doesn't turn many heads, but when you look at his stats they really pop out even if you didn't notice him during the game. He wouldn't just have made a roster, he would get some burn from the get go.

OakMoses
05-27-2009, 02:39 PM
The 2010 draft is deeper, so it doesn't help his draft stock for atleast two years. Also, unless he keeps signing one year deals, he will have a buyout clause.

He would have found a fit in the NBA this year. He is an amazing player. He is very bland, so he doesn't turn many heads, but when you look at his stats they really pop out even if you didn't notice him during the game. He wouldn't just have made a roster, he would get some burn from the get go.

From what I've read, he had a couple of reasons for going. The first is that he's making about the same as he would have if he had been a late lottery selection in the NBA. The second is that he's got a pretty low buyout clause. The thought is that he will still get drafted this season and then play a couple years in Europe before coming to the NBA.

Trophy
05-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Sometime in our future we'll bring Lorbek to us. Still thinking about Stanko playing for us and how well he can do.

Major Cold
05-27-2009, 09:47 PM
I am not expecting neither of these two to come over. But if they do, I hope they are prepared. How long did it take for Prysbilla and Scola to get over here?

count55
05-27-2009, 10:02 PM
I am not expecting neither of these two to come over. But if they do, I hope they are prepared. How long did it take for Prysbilla and Scola to get over here?

Well, Scola was drafted in the 2nd round of 2002, and didn't come to the NBA until the 2007-2008 season.

Przybilla, a native of Minnesota, was drafted 9th in the 2000 NBA Draft out of the University of Minnesota by Milwaukee, and has been in the league ever since...playing for the Bucks from 2000 to 2004, when he was traded to Atlanta, then he was signed by Portland.

Pacers
05-27-2009, 10:16 PM
What are the rules for drafting international players? Do they actually have to declare, or can you just draft whomever? Why would Scola declare for the draft and not play in the NBA for five years?

Chewy
05-28-2009, 06:49 AM
If they don't declare they are automatically eligible for draft at certain age (22 or 24) i think, don't remember.

sloopjohnb
05-28-2009, 08:50 AM

I think the Pacers are looking into trading out of the lottery based on the players they have worked out or scheduled so far. According to everyone with much more knowledge on the draft prospects than myself, this draft is filled with future role players, so maybe Bird is hoping to trade the 13 for a later pick and maybe an additional 2nd rounder.

sloopjohnb
05-28-2009, 09:45 AM

But didn't he trade two second rounders to Miami for the rights to Barac?

Still, I get what you mean. Most second round selections don't pan out. I also think some fans have a bitter taste in their mouth from the lack of success the team has had in developing and scouting international talent. The proof is in the team's history (Bruno Sundov, Primoz Brezec, Sarunus--remember Bird brought him over on a chariot). On top of that we have watched other teams successfully draft and develop international talent (Ginobli with San Antonio, Turkoglu with Sacramento and now Orlando, Okur in Detroit and Utah, just to name a few).

Will Galen
05-28-2009, 10:17 AM
But didn't he trade two second rounders to Miami for the rights to Barac?

If my memory is correct he just traded this years second rounder to Miami for Barac.

You are probably thinking about James White. Bird did trade two for him. Still he wasn't afraid to cut him. I liked that!

count55
05-28-2009, 11:40 AM
If my memory is correct he just traded this years second rounder to Miami for Barac.

You are probably thinking about James White. Bird did trade two for him. Still he wasn't afraid to cut him. I liked that!

You're right, Will...it was just this year's second rounder.

Trophy
05-28-2009, 03:15 PM

Maybe not us bringing them over. Maybe another team will have some interest in a trade with us for one of their rights.

Lance George
06-25-2009, 03:50 PM
The hated John Hollinger mentioned Erazem Lorbek...

INSIDER LINK (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=EuropeanProspects-090623)

Erazem Lorbek (Pacers) has put together reasonably good seasons before, but this one was his best to date by far. He plays the NBA's least scarce position, power forward, so there may not be as much urgency to bring him over. But looking at his track record of the past few years, he's clearly an NBA player, and possibly a pretty good one.

Just one man's opinion, but it's nice to hear nonetheless.