PDA

View Full Version : Who has impressed you in these playoffs?

Kid Minneapolis
05-26-2009, 12:11 AM
I've watched most of the games so far in this year's playoffs... which, btw, has been one of the best playoffs in recent memory, in my honest opinion...

There's always the big-name stars like Kobe/'Melo/Billups/Howard/LeBron that are performing as expected, but there's been some impressive play by other guys that I thought deserved mention:

Mickael Pietrus (such solid play on both sides of the ball; wish he had been a part of the GS trade, lol)
Turkoglu (when he's on, Orlando is extremely tough.. needs to address the seldom spurts of wtf plays)
Rashard Lewis (such versatility, seems to have stepped up his game quite a bit for the playoffs; his shot is so unorthodox, but so effective)
Courtney Lee (impressive for a rook, seems unfazed by playoff basketball)
Trevor Ariza (clutch defensive stops, he makes championship-type plays)
JR Smith (his shooting stroke beyond the arc is freakin gorgeous)

*notice the number of Orlando players on that list* (then realize they also have a guy named Dwight Howard, who's just doing his normal thing)

As a side note: I feel like the two best teams top-to-bottom in the playoffs have been Orlando and Denver... although I'm sure the league would love a LA/Cleveland matchup to showcase Kobe/LeBron.

VF21
05-26-2009, 12:58 AM
I think the single player I'm most impressed with has been Chris "Birdman" Anderson. For someone who spent two years out of the league on a drug suspension, he has shown a lot of dedication and talent ... and he leaves it all out there on the court every single night.

It's nice to see someone turn their career around from something like that. Generally once they go down the drug road, they never find their way back to playing at an elite level.

I think I also have a warm spot in my heart because he reminds me more than a little of Samurai Scot Pollard.

:)

Coop
05-26-2009, 01:14 AM
They've both been mentioned, but Courtney Lee and Birdman have both impressed me.

On the other hand, I actually dislike Pietrus more after watching him play. He just comes across extremely arrogant.

kester99
05-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Yeah. Birdman. Add Luis Scola, Aaron Brooks, and Battier from Houston. I also second the vote for Pietrus....nice pick-up there. I don't care about the arrogant bit. He plays clean, hard and well. Let him strut.

Also add Glen Davis from Boston. If either Cleveland or L.A. could get that level of performance out of one of their 'supporting cast,' then the media would have the finals they're hoping for.

Gortat and our erstwhile Pacer, Anthony Johnson, have turned in very solid workmanlike performances for Orlando.

Nice little thread idea.

_The_Future_
05-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Easy answer for me. Hands down Lebron James. He is just absolutely ridiculous. I will always remember that 3-pointer he hit after Turkoglu made the would-have-been game winning shot at the other. Simply amazing.

Pacemaker
05-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Courtney Lee.

carpediem024
05-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Chris Andersen is a definite one... but another one that has impressed me is Nene. Turkoglu also impressed me a bit.

Kuq_e_Zi91
05-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Pietrus has been great. He fits that energy role off the bench perfectly.

I can see where some people might see it as being arrogant but he's just a fun dude. It's not like he's DeShawn Stevenson out there. He just enjoys his job.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A8hRBjhM_T0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A8hRBjhM_T0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BKK
05-26-2009, 02:08 AM
ahhhhh this Elie Seckbach guy always makes me smile :)

on the topic I agree with every player being mentioned so far. special kudos to the Orlando supporting cast who's really made a big difference in important games. hope they keep going like that.

as for Pietrus it's not arrogance, he's just French :D

kester99
05-26-2009, 02:16 AM
...as for Pietrus it's not arrogance, he's just French :D

Good one.

(Nice to hear from you, BKK.)

PostArtestEra
05-26-2009, 03:30 AM
Wow. No mention of Derrick Rose. I thought he was absolutely stellar in that series against the Celtics. I know he only played one series, but I think he took his game to the "next level" in that series.

I would also add Rondo and Josh Smith to the names that have already been mentioned.

The only player named in this thread who did not impress me is Glenn Davis. The guy is a PF who can't play interior defense or get a rebound to save his life. Yes, his offensive production increased, but that is mostly a result of his increased playing time. With KG out, he logged 36 mpg in the playoffs, as opposed to 21 in the regular season. I simply did not see anything from him in the playoffs that changed my opinion of him. JMO

kester99
05-26-2009, 04:04 AM
Rose played mighty well...an oversight on my part, perhaps, but he was expected to shine, no?

Big Baby did play more minutes, from 21 minutes to 36 for the playoffs...from 7 pts per game to 15.8, and from 44 percent fg percentage to 49 percent. Fewer than twice as many minutes; more than twice as many points. The performance over that many more minutes compared to the regular season is laudable in itself. I'll stand by my thought that Cleveland or L.A. could benefit from such performance. If Wally or The Machine had similar output increases, how happy would their teams be?

Still, we all focus on different things. I saw him as a stand-out. I'd never thought of him in those terms before.

Josh Smith? I'd put him in the category of 'assume he's going to shine.' Like Lebron, Kobe, etc....I was just focusing on the guys that were a surprise to me to some extent. Rondo? He played his butt off, but I got so mad at him for what I considered dirty play that I couldn't name him as impressing me. He impressed and disappointed at the same time.

Justin Tyme
05-26-2009, 05:30 AM
The players that have impressed me the most are on the teams that have impressed me the most... Denver and Orlando.

Courtney Lee has validated why I wanted him with the #17 pick. Gortat is another Magic player. He's anything, but the lumbering 3 pt shooting big Euro.

On Denver it has been Anderson and Nene. Nene really has come into his own this year with the trade of Camby. I have stated in the past I think Anderson would be a great PF for the Pacers, but due to his past the Pacers just can't afford to have him. He's the type PF I would like for the Pacers to be able to find... keeping fingers crossed.

vnzla81
05-26-2009, 06:41 AM
The Players that have impressed me are Big Baby(of course;))The Birdman, Scola, Perkins(defense on Howard), Rondo, Rose, Gordon, Hinrich(good D and good decision making), Lebron, Lewis, Melo.

Major Cold
05-26-2009, 07:39 AM
In the playoffs you need bigs to come off the bench. Anderson and Gortat were major factors in their teams' wins. Seeing Gortat swat Lebron twice really made my night Saturday night.

Also Pietrus is the James Posey of this years playoffs. I really think Marquis Daniels can be that for a team next year.

owl
05-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Gortat---think Jeff Foster but can finish at the hoop. He would be a great big as
a back up for the Pacers next year.

Unclebuck
05-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Gortat---think Jeff Foster but can finish at the hoop. He would be a great big as
a back up for the Pacers next year.

Yeah, I wish he wasn't playing so well - because I'd like to have him on the Pacers. But he is well known now - if he wasn't before

Kid Minneapolis
05-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Easy answer for me. Hands down Lebron James. He is just absolutely ridiculous. I will always remember that 3-pointer he hit after Turkoglu made the would-have-been game winning shot at the other. Simply amazing.

Ya, it was a great shot... what most people will forget is how many bad plays he was involved in leading up to that shot. He almost single-handedly lost the game for them down the stretch before he made up for it with a single shot. Which was great shot, I won't deny.

ABADays
05-26-2009, 12:05 PM
There's playoffs going on?

PacersRule
05-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Besides from the usual Lebron, Kobe, Howard, I have to say DRose, Carmelo, Birdman (big time), Scola, Ariza, and KMart.

LoneGranger33
05-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Marcin Gortat was a staple of the Pepsi Pro Summer League (which I'm sure most of you watch) these past two off-seasons and at that point he was just trying to make a roster. Congrats sir.

JayRedd
05-26-2009, 02:24 PM
I think I like Trevor Ariza better than my dad.

LoneGranger33
05-26-2009, 02:25 PM
I think I like Trevor Ariza better than my dad.

Me too. Mine hasn't been around a lot lately.

PR07
05-26-2009, 02:45 PM
-Melo: Always knew he could score, but his willingness to defend Kobe and the tough points in the paint have made me think he's more than just an athletic Big Dog Robinson (prime).
-Aaron Brooks: Emerged as one of the better young PG's in the league. The kid is lightning quick and is a great shooter.
-Mickael Pietrus: Great athleticism, and pretty good stroke, a willing defender. Type of 6th man any team could use.
-Rashard Lewis: A matchup nightmare at the 4 for many teams. Has the big contract, but is finally in the basketball spotlight after being under the radar in Seattle.
-Hedo Turkoglu: I knew he was good, but I didn't know he was THIS good. One of the top point forwards in the game, and he's clutch.
-Marcin Gortat: Surprisingly athletic, good defender, rebounds; and he has a decent touch around the rim.
-Dahntay Jones: Some of the plays he's made have been dirty, but to think this guy spent last season playing for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, makes me raise eye brows at the GM's of the NBA. I mean could the Pacers not use an active and willing defender like this guy? A nice player to have on any bench.
-JR Smith: Instant Offense. When uses his head, he can be very good.
-Shane Battier: Mr. Can Do It All. I wish our team could have 10 of him.
-Birdman: Game changer with his athleticism in the paint.

Major Cold
05-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Me too. Mine hasn't been around a lot lately.

He is calling you out Jerry Springer style Jay.

Doddage
05-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Aaron Brooks - Had a great game against the Lakers in Game 4 and has really stepped into the role of starting PG for Houston.

Rajon Rondo - Triple double machine in the playoffs and has proven he can be an impact player for Boston when called upon.

J.J. Barea - Was a pleasant surprise for Dallas and started a few games for them. Played some surprisingly good defense against Tony Parker and provided not only an offensive punch at various stretches, but did a great job of running the offense whenever he did.

Will Bynum - Was good for Detroit prior to the playoffs, but stood out for me in the playoffs as Detroit's hardest worker.

Last but certainly not least, Carmelo Anthony - Seems to have the perfect team around him that's bringing out the best in him both offensively and defensively.

Trophy
05-26-2009, 03:59 PM
I really wouldn't be surprised now if it's a Denver/Orlando finals matchup.

Since86
05-26-2009, 04:24 PM
I don't know why so many of you are so high on Ariza. He's dumber than a box of rocks, who just happens to make a defensive play that sticks out inside of his god awful mistakes that he made throughout the game.

His first steal off an inbounds pass, game 2 I think it was, I'll give him full credit for. BUT, the "steal" from KMart trying to get it to Melo could have been made my Helen Keller. That pass couldn't have been any worse.

There have been a few games where he's made some timely 3s, but more often than not, he takes bad shots. Either contested jumpshots, or foces something in the middle. His decision making has not been good in any series.

LeBron just doesn't surprise me anymore. At this point in time, he could pull up from the opposite FT line and hit the shot and I wouldn't blink.

I think I'm most impressed by Courtney Lee. I've been a fan of his since the IHSAA finals in '02 when he was a soph playing for Pike against Gary West Side. He just hasn't looked like a rookie. He hasn't been jaw dropping spectacular, but he has been solid and not intimidated at all by the stage of the event. His defense against House, when he came back, was very good.

Andersen would be the only other one.

McKeyFan
05-26-2009, 04:49 PM
They've both been mentioned, but Courtney Lee and Birdman have both impressed me.

On the other hand, I actually dislike Pietrus more after watching him play. He just comes across extremely arrogant.

Seconded. Never liked the guy.

Didn't like him at Golden State because he seemed to brick all his threes. Then, when he moved to a team I DON'T like, he hits a bunch of his threes.

It's not rational. I just don't like the guy that much.

Kemo
05-26-2009, 05:09 PM
I don't know what you all are seeing in Melo , He has played HORRID the last 2 games I have watched him play .. granted he did play good the previous few back from them..

But ya Birdman is the shiznit ..

heh

I think McRoberts could be our Birdman in due time... He reminds me of him alot ..

edc
05-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Luis Scola- clever post moves.....

Artest- he can now control his temper

Aaron Brooks- good penetrator

Rondo- good defender, not a turnover prone point guard...

Big Baby Davis- improve offensive game...

Denvers bench play-- they really are a team....

Trophy
05-26-2009, 05:48 PM
I think McRoberts could be our Birdman in due time... He reminds me of him alot ..

I can just picture it, Josh getting all those tattoos and growing out his hair and spiking it up in a mohawk and fly down the court and block everyone's shot.

Maybe not even a bird. He can be another animal.

Kemo
05-26-2009, 09:21 PM
....and our erstwhile Pacer, Anthony Johnson, have turned in very solid workmanlike performances for Orlando.

http://haveadayeveryday.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/beetlejuice_closeup.jpg

http://images.everyzing.com/episodes/0021/0021832/0021832467/21832467-images/thumb.jpg

Long lost brothers?
heh

But on a serious note, AJ has been playing well for Orlando..
Glad he is doing good for himself there..

Kemo
05-27-2009, 03:32 AM
I also have been impressed with Courtney Lee . He is out there playing like he has been there before (playoffs).. NOT what you'd expect from a rookie ..

Since86
05-27-2009, 01:11 PM
I don't know what you all are seeing in Melo , He has played HORRID the last 2 games I have watched him play .. granted he did play good the previous few back from them..

He was throwing up before game 5 and was getting IVs at halftime. Eventhough MJ could go for 50 with the flu, I think it's a pretty easy pass to give to Melo for his performance in game 5, eventhough he brought it when they needed it.

_The_Future_
05-27-2009, 01:38 PM
I know I already posted talking about Lebron. But, how about Rafer Alston? He killed it last night with 26 pts on 10-17 shooting with 6 3's, and has had 2 20+ point games, and has had 12 games of which he has scored 11 or more. Also remember the great game he had against the 76ers in game 6 when they won by 25 and he had 21 pts. and 10 assists? He has had a great playoffs, with the exception of slapping Eddie House.

Or, has anyone mentioned Ray Allen? He had been the most clutch 3-point shooter in the playoffs I've seen since, well, you know.:-p