PDA

View Full Version : Year in Review: Al Harrington

Hicks
07-04-2004, 03:58 AM
Regular Season: Second in voting for 2003-04 Sixth Man of the Year, he averaged 13.3 ppg and 6.4 rpg, both of which ranked third on the team. ... Posted 12 double-doubles, second most on the team ... Had 11 double-doubles as a reserve, second most in the NBA to Drew Gooden's 13 ... His 22 points against the Bulls in the season finale, 4/14, gave him a career-high 1,048 points this season and he has scored 1,000 or more points in each of the last two seasons. ... Including a season-high 27 points vs. the Lakers, 2/2, he led the team in scoring in three straight games from 1/28 to 2/2…in those three games, he averaged 24.0 ppg and shot 27-51 FGS (.529). ... Led Indiana in scoring a total of eight times, three times as a starter ... Made 15 starts and the Pacers were 12-3 in those games. ... Averaged 14.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 2.1 apg and 1.27 spg as a starter. ... Was third on the team with a career-high 80 steals this season ... Handed out 131 assists, his most ever in one season ... Shot 46.3 percent from the floor, the second best mark of his career and the best since shooting 47.5 percent FGS in 44 games in 2001-02 ... Had 163 offensive rebounds this season, topping the career-best 159 he had last season. ... Connected on a career-high 21 3-pt FGM this season, including a career-high tying two on three occasions.

Playoffs: Broke through his personal postseason wall (23 points on 9 of 46 shooting in nine previous postseason games), appearing in all 16 games, including two starts, and averaging 9.5 points and 6.4 rebounds ... Averaged 24.2 minutes, 8.0 points and 5.2 rebounds in the conference finals but shot .373 ... The leading scorer off the bench and the fifth leading scorer in the second-round series with the Heat, he averaged 7.7 ppg and shot 17-42 FGS (.405) ... The only reserve to score in double figures in the series with the Heat, he scored 13 points in Game 3 at Miami ... Was a major force in the first round against Boston, averaging 14.5 ppg, including a team-high tying 19 points in Game 3 at Boston. ... Also averaged a team-best 9.8 rpg and led the team with 15 offensive boards. ... Scoring in double figures for the first time in his playoff career with 14 points, he also had 10+ rebounds for the first time in his postseason career with 10 boards in Game 1 vs. Boston, notching his first postseason double-double. ... Making his first career playoff start in Game 2 vs. Boston, he snared a playoff career-high 13 rebounds to go with 12 points and five steals.

Plus-Minus: Ranked eighth during the regular season at +0.9 but improved to fifth in the postseason at +3.1

Contract Status: Signed through the 2005-06 season

Analysis: Though he continues to pine for a starting role, Harrington does everything but that for the Pacers. Was third on the team in scoring, rebounding and minutes played and more often than not was on the floor at the end of close games. Consistent contributions to an elite team earned him long-deserved national recognition as the runnerup in the Sixth Man voting. After three seasons in the 13-point, 6-rebound range, appears poised to take his game up a level next season, although it remains to be seen where. His name is bound to surface in numerous trade rumors due to the Pacers' glut of small forwards. His combination of youth, athleticism, versatility and potential make him a very valuable commodity.

===================

I for one think Al's days as a Pacer are over. I wish him well wherever he winds up. He had a good year for us, even if he didn't pass or attack the basket as often as I'd like.

PacerMan
07-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Don't trade Al.
You'll be sorry. :cry:

SoupIsGood
07-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Harrington for Q Rich would be awesome

MSA2CF
07-04-2004, 06:45 PM
I've always liked Al.

It's just with all the reports of him not wanting to be here if he can't start that I have change my opinion of keeping him here long-term. You'd think Jermaine could convince his friend to stay and just put up with spot starting.

Peck
07-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Al is a good solid basketball player. He has weaknesses, but who doesn't?

The biggest crime Al seems to commit that everybody can't seem to stand is that he wants to be a starter & a regular contributer.

BTW, it's a spot that Al earned prior to the trade that brought in Artest.

My gut reaction is this.

1. They better make up thier mind what is going to go on with Ron. If Ron is traded then Al will become the starter.

2. They better be 100% convinced that Jon Bender is ready to be a contributer all season long.

3. If all else fails & Ron sticks, I still would feel better keeping Al just in case Ron implodes before the trade deadline.

Grant
07-07-2004, 09:33 AM
:shudder: Peck, you gotta do something about that avatar. We need to impose some deccency standards or something.

I think that Al's value in our minds has been plummeting since the season ended.

On one hand I agree with you Peck.

1) I'm not convinced that Bender can step in at SF let alone PF backup positions (and I'm a Bender optimist). This is my single greatest concern in trading Al.

2) Harrington really has the best post-up game outside of O'Neal - the only other guy that can post-up consistently is Artest.

3) Harrington is also a very good rebounder. There's actually not much of a drop-off to Croshere at the PF position, but Bender does not rebound as well as he should with his height and athleticism (Proof that rebounding is mainly about attitude and effort).

On the other hand...

1) The Pacers are unbalanced with too many SF's (in particular if you are a JB optimist).

2) I think that if Bender moved into Harrington's spot, he would take the next step. He may not ever be a great defensive player, and I'm not convinced he can play anywhere other than the SF for now, but with health and a consistent role, I think he will fill Harrington's offensive shoes nicely.

3) We need a shooter, and it would be nice to get a big man. Unfortunately, Harrington has the most trade value, and he wants a starting spot. I think the Pacers would trade Artest, but I don't think they could get value for him.

Harrington is young, works hard, can play two positions well, plays offense and defense and has no character issues that I'm aware of. He's not overpaid, doesn't have a long contract and his trade value will probably never be higher than it is right now.

It would not suprise me if the Pacers kept him for another year and maybe tried to trade him before the trading deadline.