PDA

View Full Version : The Drafting Game sign up thread.

Jose Slaughter
07-04-2004, 03:09 AM
Clever name! :rolleyes:

I posted this idea in late April & went back & dug out the thread. Heres a link if you care to review at home.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=35418&highlight=#35418

This is the original post .....

I've been thinking about doing this for a couple years now but I finally decided to give it a go this summer.

Since it's going to be a little slow in here for about a week & I wanted to get a feel for the responce to the game, I figured I'd throw this out to see what kind of reaction I get.

I don't have all the rules written in stone yet so this is kindda a work in progress type thing. I'll fine tune these as we get closer to the actual start of the game but here is what I have so far.

The idea of the game.....

To draft a 12 player roster of any basketball player you desire. Any player that has ever played the game is eligible. Living or dead, played in the past, is playing now or even a highschooler you might think will be the next big thing.

The start of the game will be August 1st & it will run until it is finished. That means we arn't rushing to get this wrapped up in 2 or 3 weeks. If it takes until the end of September, so be it.

The size of the draft will depend on how many wish to play. Due to the large pool of players to select from I don't want to limit the number of people that would like to join our game.

The draft order will be determined by me. It will be done by a blind drawing, I'll probably have my son pull the names out of a hat or something. The draft order will be the same for all 13 rounds. That 13 is not a typo!

In the 13th round each "team" will select a head coach. The same rule applies here as with the players, any person that has coached anywhere at anytime is eligible.

No delay of game & no *****ing. Just like in the NBA, I don't want to deal with either one. If you want to play, make sure you are ready when your turn comes up. If your playing & someone is a little slow in making a selection, I'll deal with it. I don't wanna hear any whinning!

It's your team, draft who ya like. If you want to draft 12 small forwards go ahead. I would prefer a more balanced team & you might look a little foolish without a hall of fame center & an all star point guard, but hey, who am I to judge?

Any ideas, suggestions or complaints will be considered.

If you think you might be interested in the above game, post your name on this thread.

Thanks

Back to my new post now,

The following expressed an interest in playing.

Athem
Burnzone
Will Galen
Indy Geezer
Hicks
Displaced Knick
MSA2CF
Roaming Gnome
TheSauceMaster

Burnzone came up with a site that would work well for this little game. It's called whatifsports.com, this is what he had to say about it.........

Jose, we could use the whatifsports.com website, and everyone would have to register if they haven't already, but it's free.

I was just looking at it, and if you go to SimMatchup - NBA - My Favorite Teams - Build Your Own NBA Team - and then make sure the 'Public' box is checked, you can make an entire 'dream team' of all the past NBA players.

You're only allowed to create one team with the free membership, but you can use it in a simulation, so if everyone has a team created, we can simulate them in a created tournament, on paper, of whatever style you choose.

It's only 10 players on a team, and I know you said 13, but it's the closest thing out there that will generate stats for a fantasy style simulation game.
I guess you could still pick a coach, and say if the team won, the coach gets points as well, or something.

Anyway, take a look at it, I'm sure you've seen this site before, but see what you think about using it to simulate your fantasy draft team tournament. It might work out ok, and if you like it, I would be happy to help keep track of the teams, stats, and bracket, if you need it.

So we are gonna alter the draft to 10 players per team & drop the coach idea.

I think the best way to do this is to limit the first darft to 16 teams. That way we can have a single elimination tournament, much like the NCAA.

If we have a large enough interest & we wrap up the first game quickly enough we could always to another.

Thought?

Ideas?

Who's in?

Hicks
07-04-2004, 03:44 AM
I'm in.

burnzone
07-04-2004, 03:53 AM
Count me in, I would like to play.
As I mentioned before, if you need any help keeping stats, or anything, I would be glad to help.

able
07-04-2004, 05:49 AM
count me in pls :)

MSA2CF
07-04-2004, 11:46 AM
I'm in, but you may have to explain the rules to me again, and probably another time after that. Yes, I'm that slow. :blush:

dipperdunk
07-04-2004, 12:53 PM
I'll join in. :)

SkipperZ
07-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Count me in plz

Jose Slaughter
07-04-2004, 01:53 PM
The list of 16

Hicks
Burnzone
Able
MSA2CF
Dipperdunk
SkipperZ

MSA2CF
07-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Jose, perhaps your custom title name should be "The List Guy."

JOneal7
07-04-2004, 02:34 PM
i'm game...set me up

SoupIsGood
07-04-2004, 06:50 PM
I wanna play. Pretty please.

LouisvilleLip
07-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Im in

SoupIsGood
07-04-2004, 08:51 PM
That site is quite possibly the greatest invention ever... I just simulated a game between the 2003-04 pacers and the 99-00 pacers. That is so awesome

MSA2CF
07-04-2004, 08:56 PM
That site is quite possibly the greatest invention ever... I just simulated a game between the 2003-04 pacers and the 99-00 pacers. That is so awesome

Yeah, but every time I simulate a game with Reggie in it, he only gets like 8-13 points. They must put something in there that shows how selective he is, but we all know he's not THAT tentative.

SoupIsGood
07-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Yeah i agree with that, and also Mehmet Okur will score 20 points almost every game.

Hoop
07-05-2004, 01:45 AM
I'm In.

Jose Slaughter
07-05-2004, 01:48 AM
The list of 16

Hicks
Burnzone
Able
MSA2CF
Dipperdunk
SkipperZ
JONeal7
Soup is Good
Louisville Lip

9 down, just 7 spots remain.

mr oven cover
07-05-2004, 03:29 AM
I'm in. And also, before the rest are taken, put another user in for me, because he's gone. Dr Huxtable Md. Stank ya very much.
other user's name wrong ^_^

SoupIsGood
07-05-2004, 03:46 AM
I'm sorry to say I think i need to withdraw from this. I dont think ill be on enough

wickedstick
07-05-2004, 06:26 AM
I'm interested in joining

Roaming Gnome
07-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Sign me up, Jose!

pacerwaala
07-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Jose

Please sign me up my man

SycamoreKen
07-05-2004, 12:31 PM
I'lm in.

Jose Slaughter
07-05-2004, 02:05 PM
The list of 16

Hicks
Burnzone
Able
MSA2CF
Dipperdunk
SkipperZ
JONeal7
Louisville Lip
Hoop
Mr. Oven Cover
wickedstick
Roaming Gnome
Pacerwaala
Sycamore Ken
Dr Huxtable Md.

One more spot available!

Just a reminder......

The game will begin August 1st

There will be a total of 160 players drafted so you will need a fairly good size list to select from.

Please check out the guidlines that I posted at the beginning of the thread & if you think of anything that might need to be tweeked a little, I'm all for it.

I'll post the "offical" rules & draft order about a week before the start of the draft.

On August 1st, a Sunday, I will start the draft.

Any comments, questions, complaints or ideas are welcome.

Good luck.

JOneal7
07-05-2004, 03:36 PM
I Am predicting now I will have the best team!
my all star center i got my eyes on is that beast ostertag. I want Rick Brunson as my PG, Harold Miner as my SG. Pervis Ellis will be a great addition. JR Rider And Len Bias round out the top. Oh and my sixth man? Todd Fuller! BEAT THAT!

MSA2CF
07-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Whoops; guess I needed to read the fine print. :blush:

I didn't see the August 1st part; Thanks for saying that again, Jose.

I'll be in Cincinnati July 29, 30 and August 1 for some baseball games, but right after the August 1 game, I'm headed back home.

You can either scratch my name off the list and replace me or you can push back the draft until later in the day or the next day.

Sorry, Jose.

Jose Slaughter
07-05-2004, 06:55 PM
MSA2CF

You're still in.

There is no set time table between picks.

I'm not gonna wait around forever for someone to make their selections but this is gonna be about as laid back as I can get away with.

Besides you might not draft until later in the round, so you might not be on the clock until the 2nd or 3rd.

MSA2CF
07-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Gracias, Jose. By the way, how are you going to set up the draft order?

Roaming Gnome
07-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Hey MSA, If you ended up with a high draft pick... trade your pick down to a couple lower ones. Just like they do in reallity.

This is gonna rock, I can feel it!

LouisvilleLip
07-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Im still in

MSA2CF
07-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Hey MSA, If you ended up with a high draft pick... trade your pick down to a couple lower ones. Just like they do in reallity.

:laugh:...:confused: Are you serious? :disturbed:

SycamoreKen
07-06-2004, 01:14 PM
There will be a total of 160 players drafted so you will need a fairly good size list to select from.

Time to go pick up that NBA encyclopedia.

Gyron
07-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Is there still one spot left? If so, I'll give it a whirl.

MSA2CF
07-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Okay, two questions.

1) How is the order being decided?
2) I know that we are using whatifsports.com and so on...but how does it guage the players? Like if I chose Shawn Kemp, would I be getting the Seattle Shawn or the Orlando Shawn? Fill me in, I'm a little confused.

Jose Slaughter
07-06-2004, 03:17 PM
The list of 16

Hicks
Burnzone
Able
MSA2CF
Dipperdunk
SkipperZ
JONeal7
Louisville Lip
Hoop
Mr. Oven Cover
wickedstick
Roaming Gnome
Pacerwaala
Sycamore Ken
Dr Huxtable Md.
Gyron

1) How is the order being decided?

I'm going to put everyones name in a hat & draw them out. Since I'm not playing this round there will be conflict of interest. I'll post the draft order about a week before the start of the game.

I don't think I added this to the origianl rules but, trades are not permitted. I don't want to get into that whole thing of trading James Worthy & John Stockton for Jordon, or whatever.

2) I know that we are using whatifsports.com and so on...but how does it guage the players?

To be honest, I went to the site & put it on my favorites list but I havn't really had time to get into it yet. There are a few others on here that are far more familiar than I am with how the site works............ a little help here guys.

Hicks
07-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Why are we waiting for the next 25 days to start this?

Any reason we can't just start soon?

able
07-06-2004, 04:34 PM
you ARE bored :)

MSA2CF
07-06-2004, 04:47 PM
I've been signed up at whatifsports.com for a while and sometimes go there to play with simming games between teams of different eras, but I have yet to try the "Fantasy Team" thing...

I just want to know if it's going to go by the career averages or something, if someone knows.

Thanks for answering what you could, Jose. :thumbsup:

burnzone
07-06-2004, 05:32 PM
I believe on the whatifsports.com site, we will need to pick players from specific years, for example;

PG: Magic Johnson 85-86 season

SG: Reggie Miller 94-95 season

SF: Larry Bird 84-85 season

PF: Kevin Garnett 03-04 season

C: Bill Russell 60-61 season

Now, the simulation on the site will use the players' actual averages from the season you pick.
So let's just say, if you were hypothetically picking the team of players I listed above, you wouldn't want Larry Bird from 1991, over Bird from 1984, or Reggie from 2003, over Reggie from 1994, because it will use the players actual averages from that year.

So, in essence you will need to have an idea of what year/season you would like your players to be from.

I think it will all work out, we still have a few weeks to prepare before the draft starts.

Just try to get a rough idea of what 10-20 players you might want, and then look on the web to find their best seasons, statistically, and begin your lists that way.

MSA2CF
07-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Gracias senor burnzone.

Jose Slaughter
07-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Why are we waiting for the next 25 days to start this?

Any reason we can't just start soon?

1. The free agent & trading flood gates will be opening next week & this place will be a lot busier.

2. Summer league play begins shortly as well. That should take us close to the end of the month.

3. August has a rep for being the longest, boringest month in all of basketball.

SycamoreKen
07-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Plus, I'm out of town for two weeks this month. August is great. It will let you look up all of those past greats that you never knew about.

MSA2CF
07-25-2004, 10:21 AM
So, in essence you will need to have an idea of what year/season you would like your players to be from.

And there's no picking two different eras of the same player, right Jose? Like, you pick Reggie of 2000, so no one else can have any Reggie of any year. Right?