PDA

View Full Version : If you could pick a starting lineup consisting of any players in history who whould the be?

vnzla81
05-20-2009, 08:40 PM
I was watching TNT and Reggie asked this question to the other guys and I thought about opening a thread whit this question,

count55
05-20-2009, 08:44 PM
PG Magic
SG Jordan
SF Bird
PF Duncan
C Russell

Peck
05-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Pg John Stockton
Sg Michael Jordan
C Wilt Chamberlain
Sf Julias Erving
Pf Dal....er Karl Malone

MillerTime
05-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Magic
Jordan
Lebron
Duncan
Shaq (back in 1996) or maybe Hakeem the Dream

Kemo
05-20-2009, 09:01 PM
My ULTIMATE team would consist of the following
STARTERS and their BACKUPS

PG Pete Maravich / Magic Johnson
SG Michael Jordan / George Gervin
SF Larry Bird / Julius Erving
PF Charles Barkley / Dennis Rodman
C Wilt Chamberlain / Kareem Abdul Jabbar

BlueNGold
05-20-2009, 09:07 PM
PG - Magic
SG - MJ
SF - Lebron
PF - Duncan
C - Wilt

I think Lebron is actually the best player here followed by Jordan and Wilt.

billbradley
05-20-2009, 09:08 PM
pg oscar robertson
sg michael jordan
sf julius erving
pf charles barkley
c hakeem olajuwon

LG33
05-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Stockton's passing and overall dirtiness
Reggie's shooting and off-ball movement
LeBron's power and drive
Hakeem' rebounds and blocks
Kareem's ability to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes

Not the best at all positions, obviously, but a team with specialized players.

vnzla81
05-20-2009, 09:26 PM
My dream team would be
starters: Pg Magic
Sg: Jordan
Sf: Oscar
Pf: Duncan
C: Will

Bench
Pg: Stockton
Sg: Kobe
Sf: Lebron
Pf: Hakeem
C: Shaq

sorry about the mistake in the thread title, I did not see it. can somebody fix that? please

Hicks
05-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Kidd
Jordan
Bird
James
Russell

Kaufman
05-20-2009, 11:54 PM
I pretty much agree with count's line up so I thought I'd mix it up and see if anyone would bite for discussion sake:

is there anyone who would disagree on the best Pacer lineup being the following?
Mark Jackson
Reggie Miller
Danny Granger
Jermaine O'Neal
Rik Smits

I'm sure a few arguments could be made that Danny doesn't have enough body of work yet over someone like say Chuck Person

I don't think we really have ever had an outstanding center but Rik wasn't bad

Some might say Detlef Schrempf instead of JO...

cinotimz
05-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Give me the team of guys recognized by their first names:

Michael
Kobe
Lebron
Hakeem
Wilt

good luck scoring against this team.

ChicagoPacer
05-21-2009, 12:39 AM
is there anyone who would disagree on the best Pacer lineup being the following?
Mark Jackson
Reggie Miller
Danny Granger
Jermaine O'Neal
Rik Smits

I'm sure a few arguments could be made that Danny doesn't have enough body of work yet over someone like say Chuck Person

The old timers are going to jump on this.

Jackson
Miller
Brown
McGinnis
Daniels

Granger definitely doesn't have the body of work (yet). You could have made a similar post back in 1985 and replaced Granger's name with Clark Kellogg's and we know how that turned out. Until a guy can do it injury-free for a good 6-7 years, I wouldn't want to jinx it.

MrSparko
05-21-2009, 12:45 AM
I pretty much agree with count's line up so I thought I'd mix it up and see if anyone would bite for discussion sake:

Mark Jackson
Reggie Miller
Danny Granger
Jermaine O'Neal
Rik Smits

I assume you're going by NBA only? If so then yes. ......Unless of course you count McGinnis who did technically play for the Pacers in the NBA as well.

rexnom
05-21-2009, 12:48 AM
The old timers are going to jump on this.

Jackson
Miller
Brown
McGinnis
Daniels

Granger definitely doesn't have the body of work (yet). You could have made a similar post back in 1985 and replaced Granger's name with Clark Kellogg's and we know how that turned out. Until a guy can do it injury-free for a good 6-7 years, I wouldn't want to jinx it.
I don't know about that. Isn't Granger, in 2009, already the most talented scorer the Pacers have had in their NBA-days?

MrSparko
05-21-2009, 12:49 AM
I don't know about that. Isn't Granger, in 2009, already the most talented scorer the Pacers have had in their NBA-days?

He's second in threes at least.

GO!!!!!
05-21-2009, 12:53 AM
So tough, hard to do

Magic/Stockton
Jordan/Robertson
Bird/West
M.Malone/Rusell
Kareem/Wilt

Slight tweaks but I like it...

ChicagoPacer
05-21-2009, 12:56 AM

It's hard to say. He's certainly a versatile scorer, but it's one thing to be a big scorer on a mediocre/bad team and another to be a 24ppg game guy on a stacked team.

In terms of sheer talent at scoring, the best scorer the Pacers have had on an NBA roster was Adrian Dantley. His best work wasn't here, but technically, he had the talent when we had him even if no one had any idea how good he would become. English and Miller would rate up there too. Too bad we gave two of them away.

rexnom
05-21-2009, 01:03 AM
The five best players of all time are, in my opinion, Magic, Jordan, Bird, Russell and Wilt. That's a decent lineup too.

If I want an actual basketball lineup, I'm going out there with Kidd, Jordan, Pippen, Duncan and Hakeem.

That's an absurdly good defensive lineup with no alpha dog issues and a couple of guys inside and outside who Jordan can find as he slashes into the paint.

ChicagoPacer
05-21-2009, 01:13 AM
If I had to pick the best lineup, I'd go with Chamberlain, Duncan, Bird, Jordan, and Magic.

If I had to pick the most fun lineup, with guys who can run the floor and play multiple spots, I'd go with Russell, Garnett, Erving/James, Jordan, and Magic.

MillerTime
05-21-2009, 01:24 AM
I love fun topics like this :D

JayRedd
05-21-2009, 01:41 AM
Starters

PG - Stockton (cause you need a dead-eye shooter for spacing and Magic doesn't bring that)
SG - MJ (cause...yeah)
SF - Larry (cause he's the best passing forward ever, will knock-down Js and his D liability would be minimal with this surrounding cast)
PF - Russell (cause who needs points when you got these other three?)
C - Kareem (cause I never saw Wilt but I know Kareem has the least guardable move of all time...and would avoid Hack-a-Wilt late)

Bench

PG - Walt Clyde (total package: D, playmaking, scoring)
SG - Reggie (knockdown jumpshooter)
SG - West (scorer for when MJ's resting...can be the shooting SF when we go small...not Kobe)
SF - Scottie (for D and ability to play point forward when we go huge with MJ/Pip/Dirk/Russell/Dream)
PF - Dirk (match up problems galore with his treys...opens the paint for Dream and/or Kareem)
PF - Charles Oakley (grimey glass eater...saner than Rodman...MJ's best friend)
C - Dream (to anchor the best D lineup ever when we go Clyde/MJ/Pip/Russell/Dream)

duke dynamite
05-21-2009, 01:46 AM
Is this another one of those top-5 quizzes on facebook?

heh, I wouldn't know who all to pick, if not already given.

Unclebuck
05-21-2009, 09:42 AM
I always make things more difficult than they need to be. But I must ask -0 are we to pick the best player at each position or are we to pick the best team

idioteque
05-21-2009, 09:50 AM
I would say best team, Buck.

Now I am sticking with guys from the 90's here because frankly, I haven't seen the earlier guys play all the much.

PG John Stockton/Mark Jackson
SG Michael Jordan/Mark Price
SF Larry Bird/Bruce Bowen (during his peak as a lock down defender)
PF Karl Malone/Dennis Rodman
C Hakeem Olajuwon/Shaq

nerveghost
05-21-2009, 10:55 AM
PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Lebron James
PF - Larry Bird
C - Hakeem

Also thought it would be fun to see the lineup by most MVP's won:

PG - Magic Johnson (3)- Bob Pettit (2)
SG - Michael Jordan (5) - Steve Nash (2)
SF - Larry Bird (3)
PF - Moses Malone (3) - Karl Malone (2) - Tim Duncan (2)
C - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (6) - Bill Russell (5) - Wilt (4)

rexnom
05-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Wow, Seth has effectively destroyed Scottie Pippen's rep on this board.

BRushWithDeath
05-21-2009, 11:21 AM
PG: Magic Johnson
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: LeBron James
PF: Larry Bird
C: Bill Russell

Bench:
Isaiah Thomas
Oscar Robertson
Julius Erving
Moses Malone
Wilt Chamberlain
Hakeem Olajuwon
Kobe Bryant

Jonathan
05-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Is this another one of those top-5 quizzes on facebook?

heh, I wouldn't know who all to pick, if not already given.

Duke, You would choose Danny Granger

DrFife
05-21-2009, 11:27 AM
I've long held that in order for a good-vs-evil movie to work, one has to fear and respect the enemy.

When I think of college ball through the years, one of my favorite teams to watch* was UNLV; rather, my favorite team to watch was the one locked up in fear while playing UNLV. Watching sports should invite an element of drama, and man, that was great drama.

Just to add a little spice, then, I'll offer an all-defensive team:

PG: Gary Payton
SG: Michael Cooper
SF: Ron Artest
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Dikembe Mutombo

(* Extreme offense can be delicious, too, of course. Other favorite teams in history, include Phi-Slamma Jamma and the emotion-laden Loyola Marymount run. Tears of joy were streaming down my face when they destroyed pompous Michigan. :cloud9:)

Unclebuck
05-21-2009, 11:36 AM
OK, here is mine

Hakeem
Garnett
Bird
Jordan
Magic

I'd like to see a team try and score against KG and Hakeem (they two best interior defenders I have seen. Yeah that is my team - I think they would beat any team anyone else could field. Puts a lot of pressure on Jordan to defend either a great point guard or a great small forward or shooting guard, but KG can guard small forwards. Magic and Bird are good team defenders.

Since86
05-21-2009, 12:36 PM
PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Lebron James
PF - Larry Bird
C - Hakeem

Also thought it would be fun to see the lineup by most MVP's won:

PG - Magic Johnson (3)- Bob Pettit (2)
SG - Michael Jordan (5) - Steve Nash (2)
SF - Larry Bird (3)
PF - Moses Malone (3) - Karl Malone (2) - Tim Duncan (2)
C - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (6) - Bill Russell (5) - Wilt (4)

You have Nash as a SG, and Pettit was a PF.

naptownmenace
05-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Starters:

PG - Magic
SG - Jordan
SF - Lebron
PF - KG
C - Hakeem

Picking a Power Forward was really tough. It was either going to be KG, Barkley, Malone, or Duncan. Since I knew Hakeem was going to be my Center, I went with KG because he can play in the high post, pass, and is an excellent on the ball defender - better than the others mentioned. Each of my starting 5 can pass, score, run, and defend very well.

Kid Minneapolis
05-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Magic
Jordan
Bird
Malone
Olajuwon

God, that team would own.

Spirit
05-21-2009, 03:43 PM
John Stockton
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Tim Duncan
Wilt Chamberlain

count55
05-21-2009, 03:59 PM
PG - Malik Jamal Truth
SG - Setshot Bufford
SF - Moses Guthrie
PF - Bullet Haines
C - Rev Grady Jackson

Noodle
05-21-2009, 04:06 PM
PG- Magic
SG- Jordan
SF- Lebron
PF- Larry
C- Hakeem

No other team constructed could defeat this team. All world everything in every facet of the game. Could you imagine the ball sharing, it would be epic.

Diamond Dave
05-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Best All-Time

PG Stockton/Magic
SG Jordan/Kobe
SF Lebron/Bird/Barkley
PF Malone/Duncan
C Wilt/Kareem/Shaq

Best Pacer Squad

PG Mark Jackson/Freddie Lewis
SG Reggie/Roger
SF Danny (yeah I'm saying it)/Artest (unfortunately I'm saying it)/Clark Kellog
PF Big Mac/Dale Davis
C Mel Daniels/Rik/Herb Williams

count55
05-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Best Pacer Squad

PG Mark Jackson/Freddie Lewis

Agree

SG Reggie/Roger

Reggie/Billy Knight

SF Danny (yeah I'm saying it)/Artest (unfortunately I'm saying it)/Clark Kellog

Roger/Chuck (that one's for you, J)

PF Big Mac/Dale Davis

Agree

C Mel Daniels/Rik/Herb Williams

Mel/Rik

(Danny's not there yet, but a repeat of this year puts him ahead of Chuck.)

pig norton
05-21-2009, 07:15 PM
PG: Tinsley
SG: Iverson
SF: Artest
PF: Antione Walker
C: Rasheed Wallace

Okay, that's not even close to the best team ever, but they'd be fun to watch. Just so long as you weren't actually rooting for them.

NapTonius Monk
05-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Magic Jordan
Bird
Malone
Olajuwon

God, that team would own.

:ding::iagree::ding:

BobbyMac
05-21-2009, 08:28 PM

Mark Jackson
Reggie Miller
Danny Granger
Jermaine O'Neal
Rik Smits

Well you got one of the best 4 Pacer players on your list.

How about:

pg. Mark Jackson
sg Reggie Miller
sf Roger Brown
pf George McGinnis
c Mel Daniels

Pacers
05-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Stockton
Jordan
Bird
Barkley
Erving

vnzla81
05-21-2009, 08:38 PM
my best Pacers team would be:
Mark Jackson/
Reggie/ Mullin
Danny/ Clark
JO/ Dale Davis
Anthonio Davis/ Rick

Putnam
05-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Compliments to Kemo for putting Pistol Pete on the list. And Dr. J.

aceace
05-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Any best team list would have to include Lebron,Kobe and MJ. IMHO 3 best players ever.
Bill Russell was on great teams throughout his career and he was the best player. My PG would be Magic. Lebron could play PF and stop anyone.

My best Pacers team would be McGinnis, Reggie, M.Jackson, Mel Daniels, Roger Brown

Young
05-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Very tough but I will say the following.

Magic, Jordan, Oscar, Bird, and Kareem.

That team doesn't have the traditional SF or PF but it's who I pick.

Leaving so many off the list like Wilt, Dr J, Jerry West, Russell, and the list goes on.

BRushWithDeath
05-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Just because he's had the anti-Midas touch on everything after his playing days were over shouldn't devalue Isaiah Thomas so much as a player. He was way better than Stockton ever was.

PacersRule
05-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Jamaal Tinsley
Stephon Marbury
Latrell Spreewell
Zach Randolph
Marcus Camby

yeah, this team will go deep...

rexnom
05-21-2009, 11:57 PM
(Danny's not there yet, but a repeat of this year puts him ahead of Chuck.)
This makes no sense to me. Wasn't the Danny of 2008-2009 better than Chuck at any point of his prime? You seem to agree because "a repeat" would indicate the same level of performance. How does consistency factor into whether he'd be on the "all-Pacer" team or not?

Peck
05-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Just because he's had the anti-Midas touch on everything after his playing days were over shouldn't devalue Isaiah Thomas so much as a player. He was way better than Stockton ever was.

I dispute that with every fiber of my being.

To me, there was no one way better than Stockton ever was at the p.g. position.

You could argue that maybe Magic or Oscar were better but neither was way better.

To me John Stockton is the most under rated player in the history of the NBA. There was nothing at the position on the floor he played that he could not do.

pwee31
05-22-2009, 02:55 AM
Magic
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
Russell

xtacy
05-22-2009, 05:12 AM
PG MAGIC / STOCKTON
SG JORDAN / KOBE
SF LEBRON / BIRD
PF DUNCAN / MALONE
C SHAQ / CHAMBERLAIN

MillerTime
05-22-2009, 05:15 AM
PG MAGIC / STOCKTON
SG JORDAN / KOBE
SF LEBRON / BIRD
PF DUNCAN / MALONE
C SHAQ / CHAMBERLAIN
:D I had the same starting 5...good picks

Will Galen
05-22-2009, 09:52 AM
PG Stockton
SG Oscar
PF Bird
SF Magic
C Sobonis(s?)

Best passing team

ChicagoJ
05-22-2009, 11:34 AM
G - Oscar
G - Magic
F - Julius
F - Duncan
C - Wilt

Pacers:

G - Mark Jackson
G - Reggie
F - Rifleman
F - McGinnis
C - Daniels

ChicagoJ
05-22-2009, 11:39 AM
This makes no sense to me. Wasn't the Danny of 2008-2009 better than Chuck at any point of his prime? You seem to agree because "a repeat" would indicate the same level of performance. How does consistency factor into whether he'd be on the "all-Pacer" team or not?

No. In '87, '90, and '91, Chuck led teams into the playoffs when the Eastern Conference (and especially the Central Division) was VERY strong. Isiah and Dumars in Detroit were in championship mode, Jordan and the Bulls were knocking on the door, Dominique and the Hawks were a great team when there happened to be two legit contenders in their division, and Bird's Celtics weren't washed up yet. The expansion in the late '80s had not yet diluted the talent pool of the contenders.

EDIT - or to put it another way, Danny has not yet put the team on his back and carried them anywhere. Chuck may not have ever been able to carry them out of the first round, which is what he gets villified for, but that's still better. Until Danny gets into the playoffs, he's going to have the "Clark Kellogg/ merely the best scorer on a bad team" tag to overcome. Don't get me wrong - I love the progession Danny is making. Its not his fault the team is losing. But he's not carrying them to the playoffs yet so don't get ahead of yourselves.

BKK
05-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Oscar
MJ
Larry
Duncan
Russel

WetBob
05-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Oscar/Magic
Lebron/Jordan/Kobe
Bird