PDA

View Full Version : The "Bite Me BillS, I'm Not Going to Call it the PD Mock Draft, no matter what you say" Mock Draft Thread

OakMoses
05-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Call it what you will, it's what you all signed up for. Here's the draft order with the PD drafter listed next to it.

1. Clippers - MillerTime
2. Grizzlies - Jose Slaughter
3. Thunder - BRushwithdeath
4. Kings - Major Cold
5. Wizards - Mourning
6. Timberwolves - Mellifluous
7. Warriors - Hibbert Laugh
8. Knicks - TroyMurphy3
9. Raptors - dcpacersfan
10. Bucks - CableKC
11. Nets - PostArtestEra
12. Bobcats - DrFife
13. Pacers - Duke Dynamite
14. Suns - avoidingtheclowns
15. Pistons - Wetbob
16. Bulls - Count55
17. 76ers - LoneGranger33
18. Timberwolves - Mellifluous
19. Hawks - Rommie
20. Jazz - pacergod2
21. Hornets - iPacer
22. Mavericks - binarysolo
23. Kings - Major Cold
24. Blazers - Pwee31
25. Thunder - Brushwithdeath
26. Bulls - Count55
27. Grizzlies - Jose Slaughter
28. Timberwolves - Mellifluous
29. Lakers - Peskoe97
30. Cavaliers - UncleReg

We've got about a month until the draft, so we'll give each person 24 hours to make their pick.

As of now, the Clippers are on the clock. That's you MillerTime.

OakMoses
05-20-2009, 11:24 AM
#1 - LA Clippers - Blake Griffin, PF, Oklahoma
#2 - Memphis Grizzlies - Ricky Rubio, PG, Spain
#3 - Oklahoma City Thunder - James Harden, SG, AZ St.
#4 - Sacramento Kings - Brandon Jennings, PG, Roma
#5 - Washington Wizards - Jordan Hill, PF, Arizona
#6 - Minnesota Timberwolves - Hasheem Thabeet, C, Connecticut
#7 - Golden State Warriors - Stephen Curry, PG, Davidson
#8 - New York Knicks - Demar Derozan, SG, USC
#9 - Toronto Raptors - Tyreke Evans, G, Memphis
#10 - Milwaukee Bucks - Jrue Holiday, PG, Minnesota
#11 - New Jersey Nets - Earl Clark, F, Louisville
#12 - Charlotte Bobcats - Gerald Henderson, SG, Duke
#13 - Indiana Pacers - Tywon Lawson, PG, North Carolina
#14 - Phoenix Suns - Terrence Williams, G/F, Louisville
#15 - Detroit Pistons - James Johnson, F, Wake Forest
#16 - Chicago Bulls - DeJuan Blair, PF, Pittsburgh
#17 - Philadelphia 76ers - Eric Maynor, PG, Virginia Commonwealth
#18 - Minnesota Timberwolves - Jonny Flynn, PG, Syracuse
#19 - Atlanta Hawks - Jeff Teague, G, Wake Forest
#20 - Utah Jazz - Sam Young, G/F, Pittsburgh
#21 - New Orleans Hornets - BJ Mullens, C, Ohio St.
#22 - Dallas Mavericks - Austin Daye, F, Gonzaga
#23 - Sacramento Kings - Tyler Hansbrough, PF, North Carolina
#24 - Portland Trailblazers - Chase Budinger, G/F, Arizona
#25 - Oklahoma City Thunder - Patrick Mills, PG, St. Mary's
#26 - Chicago Bulls - Wayne Ellington, SG, North Carolina
#27 - Memphis Grizzlies - Gani Lawal, PF, Georgia Tech
#28 - Minnesota Timberwolves - Danny Green, G/F, North Carolina
#29 - Los Angeles Lakers - Omri Cassipi, F, Europe
#30 - Cleveland Cavaliers - Jeff Pendergraph, F, Arizona St.

count55
05-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I'm goin' to hell for this one.

BillS
05-20-2009, 12:22 PM
:lmao:

:tongue:

OakMoses
05-20-2009, 02:44 PM
MillerTime has already made the obvious pick in the other thread. Jose PM'd me and made his pick, saying he'll have no PC access for a bit.

So far no surprises.

#1 - Blake Griffin
#2 - Ricky Rubio

Now that we're getting out of the obvious picks, it would be nice to get a little insight into the why of the picks instead of just the who.

Brushwithdeath is now on the clock for the Thunder.

maragin
05-20-2009, 03:15 PM
I'd advise avoidingtheclowns to sell the pick for cash considerations.

OakMoses
05-20-2009, 03:28 PM

If I were a Suns fan I'd be furious that we sold the rights to Rondo and Rudy Fernandez.

avoidingtheclowns
05-20-2009, 04:27 PM

If I were a Suns fan I'd be furious that we sold the rights to Rondo and Rudy Fernandez.

Yeah, though this would probably be a year to sell or trade down. Honestly, my thoughts about the Suns are very similar to my thoughts about what the Pacers should do this time around.

MyFavMartin
05-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Heard Rubio's contract has an $8 mil buyout and that the NBA team that selects him can only pay for $0.5 mil and thus Rubio has to pay for the buyout via his own money. His contract was written this knowing the NBA cap and salary restrictions for draft picks. Anyone heard this too?

MillerTime
05-21-2009, 03:37 AM
Heard Rubio's contract has an $8 mil buyout and that the NBA team that selects him can only pay for $0.5 mil and thus Rubio has to pay for the buyout via his own money. His contract was written this knowing the NBA cap and salary restrictions for draft picks. Anyone heard this too?
Heres something from HoopsWorld

Tuesday's NBA Draft Lottery didn't answer any questions about Spanish sensation Ricky Rubio's future. In fact, it may have added to them.

With the Los Angeles Clippers expected to use the first pick on Oklahoma's Blake Griffin (according head coach and general manger Mike Dunleavy), there is some real concern that the 18-year-old's buyout from Spain's DKV Joventut could push him out of the second spot.

Complicating matters is the fact that the Memphis Grizzlies, owners of that pick, drafted a point guard two years ago (Mike Conley).

"We're at a spot with the second pick and we are going to try and determine who the second best player is," said Memphis Coach Lionel Hollins after the lottery.

But what if the Grizzlies determine that Rubio is in fact the draft's second best player? Is his $8 million or so buyout going to stop a team from drafting him?

"I have no idea," responded Hollins. "I haven't talked to anybody about that."

One reason team representatives are trying to stay clear of the Rubio talk is because of the complicated nature of his buyout.

Rubio's signature is allegedly not on his current contract. As a 16-year-old, Rubio's parents signed his deal with DKV Joventut in his place. That distinction lends favor to Rubio and agent Dan Fegan.

However, DKV Joventut does have Rubio's signature on last season's addendum to the contract which gave the mop-topped point guard a pay raise. The team is trying to leverage that signature into either 6 million euros this season or as much as 10 million euros next season.

That's right. Rubio's buyout actually goes up next season, which means if the situation doesn't get resolved this year, it probably won't be resolved next season either. There is a remote possibility that Rubio doesn't arrive in the NBA until the 2011-2012 season.

According to one NBA agent "teams could definitely back off… The buyout itself is sticky."

MORE BY ALEX RASKIN

NBA Breakout Stars 2009: Alex Raskin takes a look at six NBA players who could take the next step...
HOOPSWORLD's Week in Review: Joel Brigham asks if Ricky Rubio is ready for the NBA, Yannis Koutroupis...
Magic Look to Make Boston History: Boston has never lost a series after leading 3-2. in 32 opportunities, the ...
View Alex Raskin Archive
Rubio and Fegan still fearlessly entered the draft this season and seem confident that a deal can be worked out. NBA rules stipulate that teams can only contribute $500,000 to a foreign player's buyout, which means Rubio will be paying the rest out of pocket. A lucrative marketing deal could soften the blow for the would-be rookie, but shoe deals have lulled with the economy.

Regardless, sources close to Rubio have told HOOPSWORLD that he will gain his release and remain in the draft class past the June 15 deadline for all withdrawals.

If Memphis does decide to pass on Rubio, the Oklahoma City Thunder could be a possibility at No. 3.

"I've only watched him a few times," said Thunder Head Coach Scott Brooks. "I know that he's a very smart player who knows how to play the game, makes his teammates better but there are a lot of good players in the draft. We're happy today (because) we're going to get a good young player who is going to make us better."

When asked about Rubio's potential buyout, Thunder G.M. Sam Presti was as non-committal as everyone else at the NBA Entertainment Studios, Tuesday.

"All those things are so relative," he said. "I don't have all the necessary information, and that's something that, leading up to the draft, should become more clear."

One thing that is clear though is that the Thunder have the ability to make room for Rubio. Despite drafting UCLA's Russell Westbrook last year, Brooks can envision starting two point guards right next to each other.

"I played (Westbrook) at both spots (this season)," said Brooks. "He has improved every month. He understands that he has the ability to play both spots. He thinks like a point guard."

If the Thunder do decide to pass on Rubio as well, it is unlikely he would slip past the owners of the fourth pick, Sacramento.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12698
Alex Raskin

BillS
05-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Does the buyout of another league's contract count against the salary cap for that year?

count55
05-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Does the buyout of another league's contract count against the salary cap for that year?

No...Rubio will just count as his NBA contract.

Rubio has to buyout the contract, not the NBA team. The team can give a small amount (less than $500k), and but the rest has to come out of Rubio's pocket. (This is why it's tough for top Euros to make the leap...the rookie contracts often are not necessarily less than what they can earn in Europe, but less than the buyout it would take to get out of their contracts.)

I don't know how the $500k counts, but it's not a material amount.

Major Cold
05-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Rubio can get endorsements to pay off the buyout. I read that he was going to do this but I can't find a link.

Sanhez, for the Jets, is reporting to receive 10m in endorsements primarily because of his Hispanic background.

It should be no problem for Rubio to get the money.

He is going to need a agent that will help him in finding revenue to cover what he is going to lose. If he really wants to be in the NBA and get that huge pay check on down the road, he is going to have to sacrifice a few years Euro pay scale.

Imagine if Rudy Fernadez waited to jump a few more years. He would be in a 3-6 million dollar contract during his prime, and thus never getting the $8-$12M he might get if he continues to get better.

BRushWithDeath
05-21-2009, 11:13 AM
If I'm Sam Presti I try to trade both my first round picks to the Clippers who clearly need multiple players for the chance at Blake Griffin. But I'm not. So for me it comes down to two needs. A legit scorer on the wing to pair with a soon to be superstar in Kevin Durant or a big to take some pressure off of Nenad Krstic and Nick Collison. Krstic and Collison. That's how bad they are inside. Seriously. So for pick 3 it comes down to James Harden or Hasheem Thabeet in my opinion. I believe a big is a larger need for the Thunder but I just don't think Thabeet is that good. Hopefully, I can find a big with our 25th pick. Thus my pick is...

James Harden, SG from Arizona State.

Major Cold
05-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Is everyone sold on Jason Thompson being a starter on a playoff team? I know they need a PG, but is Evans or Jennings that guy? I really think that they can get a quality PG later in the draft at 23 (Patrick Mills?). And if I were to select a front court player it sure would have to be Jordan Hill, but I am not sure if he is a starting PF on a playoff team two years from now either.

So with the 4th selection the Kings select Brandon Jennings.

His quickness should help him in the West (Parker, Nash, Billiups) but I think he comes off the bench early in the year. And to utilize his skill set the Kings need another shooter. But I can see Jennings flourishing in the pick and roll with Hawes.

OakMoses
05-21-2009, 11:34 AM
BRush and Major Cold - Thanks for the explanations. They're exactly what I was looking for.

Mourning and the Washington Wizards are now on the clock.

OakMoses
05-21-2009, 11:36 AM
If I'm Sam Presti I try to trade both my first round picks to the Clippers who clearly need multiple players for the chance at Blake Griffin. But I'm not. So for me it comes down to two needs. A legit scorer on the wing to pair with a soon to be superstar in Kevin Durant or a big to take some pressure off of Nenad Krstic and Nick Collison. Krstic and Collison. That's how bad they are inside. Seriously. So for pick 3 it comes down to James Harden or Hasheem Thabeet in my opinion. I believe a big is a larger need for the Thunder but I just don't think Thabeet is that good. Hopefully, I can find a big with our 25th pick. Thus my pick is...

James Harden, SG from Arizona State.

This is probably where I'd go with this pick. I keep thinking that Presti is too smart to waste this pick on Thabeet. He'd be a good fit for the Thunder, but I think you'd have to pass up some far more talented players to take him #3. I have read, however, that the Thunder have been doing a lot of homework on Thabeet.

OakMoses
05-21-2009, 11:49 AM
And by the way, you guys just took the two guys I was hoping were there with my Minnesota pick at #6.

Mourning
05-21-2009, 12:31 PM
The Washington Wizards select Jordan Hill who fits their team and team needs a lot better IMO compared to Thabeet. Granted Thabeet would give them more inside toughness and defence, but I think the Wizards might be willing to part with one of their existing big-3 if they get a player who could replace one of them with this draftpick if he pans out, making a trade of particularly Jamison a lot more possible hopefully for future picks, an expiring and who knows what.

Hill still has enough upside, can rebound, score and athleticism, etc. He's my Wizards pick.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

OakMoses
05-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Well, now I'm on the clock for Minnesota and it's obvious that you guys are trying to screw me.

The only thing I'm really happy with on my team is my Jefferson/Love dual-PF tandem. Conventional wisdom says that Thabeet would be a good defensive force to pair with either guy and give me an excellent 3 big rotation. I'm really not a Thabeet fan, however. I'm very interested in Evans, Holiday, and Derozan - all of whom have the potential to become far better players than Thabeet will ever be, and fill bigger holes on my roster.

I'm definitely entertaining offers from anyone who wants to trade up for Thabeet, but in the end I'm forced to pull the trigger.

The Timberwolves will take Hasheem Thabeet.

OakMoses
05-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Hibbert Laugh and the Warriors are now on the clock.

Major Cold
05-21-2009, 02:31 PM
I enjoy the evaluations. And melli, I agree that I would not pick Thabeet. But the Wolves really want to get Jefferson in his natural position, PF.

We should all draft according to what the team would do. And I would never expect the THunder drafting Harden over Thabeet. But BRush certaintly convinced me and made me think twice. I think because of Swift, Petro, and Sene they would pass on Thabeet.

OakMoses
05-21-2009, 03:43 PM
HibbertLaugh PM'd me his pick.

With the 7th pick of the draft, the Golden State Warriors select Stephen Curry.

TroyMurphy3 - you're on the clock for the Knicks and your Golden Boy and biggest LeBron lure has just been taken.

BRushWithDeath
05-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Just for future reference I believe the Grizzlies will actually pick Thabeet leaving Rubio for the Zombie Sonics.

Rubio
Westbrook
Durant
Green
Krstic

Playoffs.

Though my lineup isn't half bad either I guess.

Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Green
Krstic

And for the record: Gerald Henderson is the best 2 in the draft. The Thunder would be better off with him than with Harden. Just too early.

Major Cold
05-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Playoffs.

Atlanta Hawks?

Major Cold
05-22-2009, 08:40 AM
BRush I just have to disagree. Rubio is horrible at shooting from the perimeter, as is Westbrook (a little better than Ricky). So teams will sag and cheat more than before on Durant. This will slow their offense immensely. Sefolosha is not a great outside shooter as well, and teams do no have to worry about him draining threes on them.

I see no improvement from the Thunder if they draft Rubio next year. And maybe they win 5 more, but that just means they are lottery bound again.

This team lacks a shot blocking low post defender in the worse way.

OakMoses
05-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Well, the next two picks have been submitted via PM.

With the 8th pick, TroyMurphy3 selects Demar Derozan for the Knicks.

With the 9th pick, dcpacersfan selects Tyreke Evans for the Raptors.

dcpacersfan says:

Yes there are some questions about his size but every player at this point of a weak draft is going to have at least one big question mark after their name. Not only is he best player available at this point but he also has the ability to play two positions, which is great for the Raptors because they have one of the worst benches in the NBA. He brings the Raptors some thing that they really need: athleticism, aggression, defense, and physicality. I think he has the potential to be a good starting NBA SG who can also play PG duty when necessary. If Toronto has a guy on staff who can help him with his jump shot all the better. I think he's actually an excellent fit for the Raptors.

OakMoses
05-22-2009, 09:58 AM
CableKC and the Bucks are on the clock.

Feel free to post your own picks, there's really no need to PM me with them unless you want to.

idioteque
05-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I haven't boarded my plane yet, melli, but thanks for posting!

Now that I have made my pick I'll issue a press release and say to you all that I think I got a huge steal, and I can't believe DeRozan and Curry were picked before Evans. The good people of Toronto are going to be holding a parade for me in a few years. :dance:

And like I've said before it is going to be realllll interesting to look at this thread in a few years and see who was and was not smarter than the GMs.

BRushWithDeath
05-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Other than swapping Tyreke Evans and Brandon Jennings positions, through nine picks we have the exact Mock as Sports Illustrated's Ian Thomsen. Weird.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/05/20/mock.draft/index.html

Major Cold
05-22-2009, 12:38 PM
You know it could go this way of that. Mock drafts never really have it down pat. So I don't think we are too far off. Thabeet and Curry are really what is going shake up the draft board.

pacergod2
05-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I think our mock will be comparable to most "experts" picks. These things are almost a dime a dozen now and everybody has an opinion.

Plus, the people who know less about what they are doing we can compare to the Clippers. And Golden State for that matter. The Clippers might have a hard time screwing this one up. But they will find a way to let him develop into Zach Randolph II.

Can't wait for my Jazz pick at #20.

MyFavMartin
05-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Next up: Blair, Lawson, Henderson, Flynn, Earl Clark, TWill, Holiday, James Johnson, Maynor or "Surprise Me"?

CableKC
05-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Sorry guys I'm at disneyland now for the memorial day weekend. I will submit my pick later tonight.

Major Cold
05-23-2009, 10:24 PM
No big deal I think most of us realize that it is memorial weekend.

CableKC
05-24-2009, 04:46 PM
With the 10th pick in the 2009 "Bite Me BillS, I'm Not Going to Call it the PD Mock Draft, no matter what you say" Mock Draft, the Milwaukee Bucks pick........

Jrue Holiday, from UCLA.

Sorry it took so long to respond.....I finally got back from driving home from Disneyland. I was thinking about who the Bucks should pick since yesterday night. Honestly, I think that the Bucks will try to trade either Redd or ( more than likely ) RJeff for some SalaryCap relief sometime before the Trade Deadline......so I suspect that they will be in "rebuilding" mode much sooner then they would like.

I wasn't going to draft based off of "need".....but since it's difficult to nail down a "no-brainer" pick over any other since most of them have been picked.....it was hard to pick one player over another. Just like last year, I figure that John Hammond would go for another player with a "rising stock" that would fit the type of PG that can provide the decent-to-solid defense that Scott Skiles likes to have in his backcourt. For me, it was pretty much down to Holiday, Blair and Flynn. Despite having 2 FAs to resign......I suspect that CV would be easier to sign over Session.....so I figure that Holiday would be insurance for Sessions.

PostArtestEra
05-24-2009, 08:27 PM
With Holiday off the board, this is a much tougher decision for me. However, I think the Nets have to go with Earl Clark in this spot. While I think Holiday and Harris would make a scary good backcourt, Clark is the next best option. Clark would have a great chance of becoming the long term replacement for Carter, and could even play down low with Lopez against certain teams. The next step for the Nets would be to upgrade the shooting guard position. They could look to ship out Yi and, possibly, Simmons for a two with good range. Regardless, the trio of Harris, Clark, and Lopez is a pretty solid foundation for the future.

MyFavMartin
05-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Next up: Blair, Lawson, Henderson, Flynn, TWill, , James Johnson, Maynor or "Surprise Me"?

Interesting picks by both Cable and PostArtest. I like this exercise to see how and what others think. I like both of those players, but it'd be interesting to be at the team workouts to figure out if we would really like them. Both guys have lots of potential being younger... Holiday reminds me of a Westbrook/Rondo and Earl reminds me of a lesser MarvinWilliams/Jeff Green-type potential-wise.

Major Cold
05-24-2009, 09:28 PM
I don't think Jrue is like Westbrook. He is shifty and depends more on his jump shot. He is mediocre at best with his pull up jumper. Westbrook is better at the pull up. Jrue is less active with his hands on defense than both Rondo and Westbrook. I see Jrue like a poor mans Chris Paul. He finishes well, but not at the height of WEstbrook.

DrFife
05-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Dear Mr. [Michael] Jordan,

Since Commissioner Mellifluous has appointed me General Manager of the Charlotte Bobcats, I am writing to you my intentions for whom I would like to select in this year’s upcoming NBA draft. I have read the rumors about you perhaps becoming the next owner of the team (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/bobcats/story/740926.html), so I’m asking you to give serious consideration to my thoughts and intended decision.

I also want to confess two things: 1) While I consider you the greatest player I ever saw, the inordinate amount of phantom calls that were made in your favor absolutely drove me up a wall, and 2) It was a thrill to see you and Charles Oakley in the Ritz-Carlton in South Beach a few years ago, but ever since, I’ve been curious who that blonde was; you know, the one tugging on your sleeve all the way into the elevator.

Okay, now that that’s off my chest …

… Eleven picks have already been made and I have been thwarted in my attempts to trade up for DeMar DeRozan, whom I believe you would have enjoyed trying to mold in your image. For example, I thought that New York (at #8) would go for a pick swap that would include Eddy Curry and Boris Diaw, since they still could land Stephen Curry or another preferred PG at #12, but no dice. Too bad, because a healthy and motivated Curry (big if, I know) would be a great way to move Okafor to PF. Daggone deadweight Nazr Mohammed … and those New York Knicks. May (Knick GM) TroyMurphy3 lose his remaining paltry vertical!

Therefore, to make my decision I will review, for all positions, the players still available and worthy of consideration at #12, and lay them over our current roster:

PG - Ty Lawson, Jonny Flynn, Jeff Teague, Eric Maynor (Ray Felton, DJ Augustin)
SG – Gerald Henderson, Terrance Williams, Wayne Ellington (Raja Bell)
SF – James Johnson, Austin Daye, Chase Budinger (Gerald Wallace, Vladimir Radmanovic)
PF – DeJuan Blair (Boris Diaw, Sean May)
C – BJ Mullens (Emeka Okafor, DeSagana Diop, Alexis Ajinca)

Let’s start at point guard. While our esteemed PD colleague and expert talent evaluator, Tbird, recently has given a qualified endorsement of Lawson (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=47027), I believe that Jonny Flynn will be selected sooner. Still, Lawson may be the best remaining player available (even though he just creeps me out as a hyperactive mini-Tinsley. I don’t despise Tinsley; I’m just permanently tired of his on-court deficiencies.) In turn, much has been made of the team’s openness to trading Ray Felton. However, our coach, the great Larry Brown (whom I respect greatly, but who drives me nuts … kind of like my dear ol’ mother does), gives me the feeling that he would like to keep Felton (http://www.nba.com/bobcats/090420_video_brown.html), if possible. With DJ Augustin performing well in his first year, I’m not inclined to go with any of the remaining point guards.

At shooting guard, I consider both Gerald Henderson and Terrence Williams very solid prospects with limited ceilings; Wayne Ellington, less so. (Gorgeous running catch-and-shoot motion, but he’s not nearly as good a defender, from what I’ve seen and read.) The distinction is that I see Henderson developing into a decent, defined-role fifth man; Williams, an excellent, versatile sixth man. Raja Bell’s done well for us, but it’s time to address this position. Larry Brown is buggin’ the ***** out of me about the perfect Tar Heel (Ellington) waiting for us, but unless I can work out a draft-day trade, pick up another asset and move down a little … .

Small forward, frankly, is not a direction I want to go at this time. I see James Johnson as a ‘tweener who doesn’t excite me, Austin Daye as a bust candidate (only from what I’ve read, though, I admit), and Chase Budinger as a role player. Whether we keep Gerald Wallace or not, any small-forward needs we have will not be addressed at #12 under my watch.

Power forward and center. Hmmm … . If I could put DeJuan Blair into BJ Mullens’ frame, I’d have made the pick already. However, I’m left with a short, stout, long-armed, knee-repaired enforcer (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeJuan-Blair-5049/) and an athletic, immature star-wannabe (http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/videos/2009/05/22/bj-mullens-i-can-get-compared-to-garnett-nowitzki-or-amare/). DeJuan Blair – like Jrue Holiday, incidentally – exhibits oodles of power, but not much explosiveness. I’m just not comfortable with him; I just can’t risk Sean May II. As far as center is concerned, I’m holding out hope (foolishly?) that Ajinca will develop into an athletic back-up. And anyway, Mullens? No. Just … no.

Ohp! My 24 hours are almost up. The commish is waiting – time to send in my pick!

“With the 12th pick in the 2009 ‘Bite Me BillS’ Mock Draft, the Charlotte Bobcats select …

… Gerald Henderson from Duke University.

“The Indiana Pacers are now on the clock.”

Disclaimer: It was only after I made this choice that I happily caught up on Tbird’s latest analysis (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=47044):

“I also think an extraordinarily fascinating decision will be Charlotte's selection. Henderson would fit Larry Brown and his system perfectly defensively, but I also suspect Brown will be looking for someone to run plays for off screens to shoot jump shots, and Henderson isnt that guy....quite frankly Wayne Ellington probably is the closest to that type in this draft. … Ultimately, I think the Bobcats end up signing Allen Iverson to fill that scoring role, so I think Henderson gets picked ahead of us by Charlotte and we never are able to pick Henderson. Time will tell if I am right.”

CableKC
05-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Good pick....drafting a SG makes sense. Assuming that the Bobcats do not make any major moves with Gerald Wallace at the SF spot.....it would seem that they need some further depth at the SG spot. Henderson does appear to be the best SG on the board....that arguably happens to be the best player available.

duke dynamite
05-26-2009, 12:07 AM
For the 13th Pick in the I Hate BillS PD Mock Draft , on behalf of the Indiana Pacers, duke dynamite selects Guard Ty Lawson of North Carolina.

Ty Lawson is the best available player in the draft. I honestly think that if this same scenario arises in the real draft, TPTB will actually go with him.

pwee31
05-26-2009, 12:21 AM
For the 13th Pick in the I Hate BillS PD Mock Draft , on behalf of the Indiana Pacers, duke dynamite selects Guard Ty Lawson of North Carolina.

Ty Lawson is the best available player in the draft. I honestly think that if this same scenario arises in the real draft, TPTB will actually go with him.

In my opinion he's not even the best PG available at this pick.

And since you're the GM, I'm curious what else you have planned with a possible 5 PG's under contract. Ford, Jack (if resigned), Diener (PO), Tinsley, and Ty Lawson?

duke dynamite
05-26-2009, 09:26 AM
In my opinion he's not even the best PG available at this pick.

And since you're the GM, I'm curious what else you have planned with a possible 5 PG's under contract. Ford, Jack (if resigned), Diener (PO), Tinsley, and Ty Lawson?
I am wondering the same thing. Honestly, I was hoping for this to drag on a lot longer than it did up until my pick. I've been at the track all weekend, and didn't want to leave you guys waiting for my pick.

As for picking another PG, I would assume a trade would ensue.

OakMoses
05-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Busy weekend. I finally got around to updating the draft post at the beginning of this thread.

Thoughts on recent picks:

I really like the Holiday and Clark picks. My heart told me to pick Holiday at #6 for the Wolves, but Thabeet represented too much value to pass up at that point. I like the Rondo comparison for Holiday better than the Westbrook comparison. Holiday doesn't have Westbrook's elite athleticism, nor does he play with as high of an energy level. He's also more of a true PG than Westbrook. Holiday is a much better shooter than Rondo was coming out of college, and will likely develop into a very good shooter, which Rondo will never be. I see Holiday becoming a player who's good to very good at nearly every aspect of the game, but not outstanding in any one area.

Earl Clark is possibly the best player left on the board and fits a need for the Nets.

Henderson fits in well with both Larry Brown and the Bobcats roster. He also fits in with their history of drafting local players.

I don't like Lawson for the Pacers (I haven't read Tbird's analysis yet, so that could change). I'd rather roll the dice on Jonny Flynn or Eric Maynor. In this scenario I'd probably go a different direction than PG and look at guys like James Johnson, DeJuan Blair, and Terrence Williams. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if this was the actual pick.

OakMoses
05-26-2009, 10:34 AM
The Phoenix Suns and avoidingtheclowns are now on the pick.

I'll give you $0.50 for it.

Pacers
05-26-2009, 10:41 AM
I am wondering the same thing. Honestly, I was hoping for this to drag on a lot longer than it did up until my pick. I've been at the track all weekend, and didn't want to leave you guys waiting for my pick.

As for picking another PG, I would assume a trade would ensue.

Could you give a bit of explanation as to why you took Lawson over everyone else, and/or why you think he is BPA?

count55
05-26-2009, 11:21 AM
I don't like Lawson for the Pacers (I haven't read Tbird's analysis yet, so that could change). I'd rather roll the dice on Jonny Flynn or Eric Maynor. In this scenario I'd probably go a different direction than PG and look at guys like James Johnson, DeJuan Blair, and Terrence Williams. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if this was the actual pick.

I pretty much agree with this. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but DraftExpress and WalterFootball both had Jrue Holliday coming to us. I'd like that or Evans.

Failing that, I might go with Blair, if (and it's a big if) I could be convinced that his weight would not hurt his quickness. Failing that, I like Maynor, Johnson, Henderson, and Williams all better than Lawson.

duke dynamite
05-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Could you give a bit of explanation as to why you took Lawson over everyone else, and/or why you think he is BPA?
Did I just not explain that? I said I felt he was the best player available. Sure, looking at our PG situation, but I was in a crunch.

pacergod2
05-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Count,

That is the list of players I realistically would like to see us draft.

"I like Maynor, Johnson, Henderson, and Williams"

They are all mature players. Johnson is the guy I would like to see us draft the most. He would provide athleticism and strength in the front court. I see him as a PF in this league. He is not a SF, IMO. I love Maynor. He reminds me of Deron Williams. Just not as flashy or strong. I see his career resembling Billups. Struggling to find playing time and once he gets his opportunity he becomes a great player. Henderson is a three year playter at Duke. He is athletic and strong defensively. He seems like he understands the game well. Terrence Williams has huge upside if his shot comes around. I think he could be an excellent NBA player and possibly a borderline All-Star if he has the work ethic.

I also wouldn't mind seeing us taking Blair. He is a terrific rebounder. If you lead the Big East in rebounding, that kind of thing translates to the NBA. He is big and would fit well next to Hibbert who is excellent at boxing out. They would complement one another well. Within those five picks I will be happy. If they go a different direction like Lawson or Flynn I will be less happy only because that is a mixed message to where they want to go. Short PG, who we already have two of on the roster? I just don't get that unless we deal Ford before the draft.

Naptown_Seth
05-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Luckily the Pacers won't actually take Ty Lawson, at least not with that pick.

Of course to be honest I think they could trade down in a 1 for 2 (or a 2 for something where you improve your 2nd pick and reduce your first pick) because it's looking like they might still get Blair and TWill or maybe better yet TWill and then Pendergraph if they had later picks. I also still really like Budinger's game.

I really don't like where the Pacers are falling this year in the draft; it's an awkward point full of reaches. All the guys worth getting are slotted later than the Pacers position. The big hope is some slipping on other guys. And of course to me TWill is worthy of this pick, but it would appear he's tracking lower now. Since he's not really a jump shooter at this point I'd say he's very likely to slip during tryouts full of drills and weak on actual gamesmanship and awareness which are his strong points.

Melli - I agree quite a bit with your last post. I will say that to me Flynn is a Lawson clone. Those 2 bring the same issue in my book. Great fit as a college floor leader, very little of the NBA skill set and PG tricks to survive in the NBA.

I've grown to like Harden, but I still can't shake a sense of him underwhelming when he comes out. He swings from explosive to almost unathletic within just a matter of possessions in game. But he's still likely to go top 5.

I think Hill is pressing past Thabeet just as you guys took them.

Trophy
05-26-2009, 04:07 PM
I like what Duke is saying. Lawson is one of the best PGs still available in our mock draft. Either him or Flynn would be probably the best PGs probably still available at 13.

CableKC
05-26-2009, 04:17 PM
I like what Duke is saying. Lawson is one of the best PGs still available in our mock draft. Either him or Flynn would be probably the best PGs probably still available at 13.
That's the problem with this draft......I speculate that after the 9th or 10th pick......Lawson or Flynn maybe considered the "best PG available"....but who would be considered the "best player available" is debateable at the 13th spot.

avoidingtheclowns
05-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Sorry for the delay. I’m sitting in a Pittsburgh airport hotel courtesy of the mechanically challenged folks at US Airways with an oddly spotty wireless connection. You might wonder why, as the GM of a professional basketball team, am I traveling coach instead of say a team plane? Believe it or not, Sarver is actually that cheap. Dude is on the board of directors for SkyWest Airlines but I still have to use Priceline? B*st*rd.

Let’s take a look at the returning lineup, shall we?

PG Nash / Dragic
SG Richardson / Barbosa / Tucker
SF Dudley
PF Stoudemire / Amundson
C O’Neal / Lopez

There are two schools of thought going into the draft for the us: franchise-caliber PG or defensive oriented wing. I would certainly explore trades to gain multiple picks (those are my digits on your caller ID melli) but failing that I would slip Sarver several of Gob’s Forget-Me-Nows and try to purchase an additional pick in the (Nola perhaps? One of Minny’s two late firsts… ANSWER THE PHONE MELLI!).

What franchise-caliber PGs are available? Jonny Flynn and Eric Maynor are the only two candidates of the remaining first rounders (not a fan of Teague, I know Seth hates him but I think Collison will make a solid backup but he‘s not a franchise guy). There are clearly things to like about Flynn and Mayor, but they both have limitations that concern me.

The PG I was most interested for this team was Nick Calathes - maybe not a franchise guy but someone that would work for our uptempo style. But dude went to Greece so he’s dead to me.

I do like Flynn’s court vision and certainly his leadership in the Big East / NCAA tournaments was impressive. But he’s got a spotty jumper and in general he seems a bit erratic. Maynor seems to do a bit of everything well and clearly is clutch but he seems equally limited. I don’t see Dragic as a PG of the future and other than John Wall, there are very few interesting PG prospects in the 2010 draft. And at his age, how much longer can Nash contribute? Could he give a few more years like a Stockton or will he nose dive like Sam Cassell? He wants a two year extension at the moment. Can we actually get away with trading Nash?

Then there is the defensive-minded wing. Really there are two guys that apply to this spot: Terrence Williams and Sam Young. I like both of these guys, but it’s too early to grab Young. If I were to trade down, he’d definitely be at the top of my list. If I acquire an additional pick and go with a PG at #14 I definitely take Young. I really like Williams too, mostly for defensive reasons but his court vision is impressive too. I could probably bring Grant Hill back cheaply but dude is old (not sure about Barnes). Besides the SF slot is the easiest to fill on the floor and taking a defensive-minded wing in the lotto with a real need at PG is a little strange.

So where does that leave us? Failing to make a trade for an additional pick or two slightly lower picks…

With the 14th pick the Phoenix Suns select…Terrence Williams from the University of Louisville.

He rebounds tremendously well can defend three positions and has improved his range over the last year. He has good handles and has very good court vision. He won’t be expected to contribute regularly to the offense with Richardson, Amar’e, Shaq and Nash on the floor so that won’t be much of an issue. I’m not sold on Dragic being the PG of the future but playing a combo of Dragic/Barbosa/Williams should give enough pseudo-PG skills to cover for that. After selecting Williams, I’d start bribing my way into an additional pick in hopes of grabbing a PG (Maynor, Collison depending on position of pick) with my 2010 and the two 2nd rounders I have this year. If I can’t jump up for a PG I’ll probably make a play for Jeff Pendergraph in the second round (Seth keeps talking about him as a late first rounder but most mocks have him going in the bottom 2/3 of the 2nd, right?).

For the record, I’m thinking that Kerr will likely go with Flynn because others seem to like him way more than I do. I kind of feel like an idiot for not going PG here but I just don't trust any of 'em to not bust like I do with Williams.

Also apologies if this doesn't make any sense. Kinda rushing to type this up so I can finally catch my flight to St. Louis. I'll be back sometime to translate this into English for y'all.

OakMoses
05-26-2009, 04:51 PM
GM Wetbob and the Detroit Pistons are on the clock.

Major Cold
05-26-2009, 05:33 PM
You know the Suns need a Raja like player. TWill or Sam Young can be that. And I can see Young being selected this early. I mean they picked Robin Lopez ahead of a player like Hibbert.

Trophy
05-26-2009, 06:00 PM
You know the Suns need a Raja like player. TWill or Sam Young can be that. And I can see Young being selected this early. I mean they picked Robin Lopez ahead of a player like Hibbert.

They can use a backup PG.

pacergod2
05-26-2009, 06:48 PM
If WetBob PM's you melli, please let him know that I have formally offered Carlos Boozer to him for the number 15 pick. Thanks.

Ballerzfan
05-26-2009, 07:05 PM

Similar to the "Thanks" button, can we get a "WTF???" button please?

Pacers
05-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Did I just not explain that? I said I felt he was the best player available. Sure, looking at our PG situation, but I was in a crunch.

What about him makes you think he is the BPA? What is it that he does better than others? Strengths? Weaknesses?

MyFavMartin
05-26-2009, 08:17 PM
I like Lawson if we're trading Ford, which would give us something to couple with and trade away Tinsley, but I would go with Blair. He doesn't have the ideal height, but he's got strength.

Naptown_Seth
05-26-2009, 09:33 PM
I know Seth hates him but I think Collison will make a solid backup but he‘s not a franchise guy
As long as you like that Iverson style of PG without the scoring/foul drawing ability then he's your guy. Get 4 defense only guys to play next to him and jury rig your 24 second clock so it always looks like there are only 5 seconds left and you might see something productive out of him.

I'll go out on a limb and say that his first sponsership deal is going to be with the good folks that bring you SuperGlue, or perhaps velcro, staples, or Scotch tape.

Obviously I do like the TWill fit there. They want some more defense, check. He's mentally quick enough to keep up with what Nash is doing on offense, but they won't have to count on him as some jump shooting ace.

However Sam Young there isn't a bad idea either. I can't get over how far down some mocks have him. Unless he's flopping on the tryout circuit I don't get it. He was THE MAN at Pitt. Blair was that nice, tough big that gave you an advantage, but when things got tough Young was far more likely to take over and get you that play no matter what.

I think Maynor is limited, but I still put him above Lawson and Flynn. He does have handles and if someone could expand his court vision or control of the court his tools do have the best potential to fit the NBA game, even more than Patty Mills.

I think Teague could be something too, but he really needed to stay in college one more year. I don't think he's ready and that could spell wash out.

WetBob
05-27-2009, 02:46 AM
It certainly looks like Joe Dumars has quite a bit of work ahead of him. It is somewhat of a mystery which current Pistons will be around for the start of next season, but I'm guessing that the plan is to dump salaries in wait for the free agent class of 2010.

However, what free agents will want to go to Detroit? Why would you?

In the draft I was hoping to get Gerald Henderson to pair with Rodney Stuckey as my backcourt of the future. My other hope was to get either on of the Louisville players. Since both of those players I'm stuck taking one of the few athletic bigs in the draft. James Johnson of Wake Forest.

Luckily though I've been given the opportunity to get a proven star in Carlos Boozer thanks to a strange offer from the Jazz. I will take him on for his last year of his contract and hope that he will accept a contract extension for the long term. He's a better player then I can hope to attract in 2010 anyway.

With the 15th pick in the draft, the Detroit Pistons trade the pick to the Utah Jazz for Carlos Boozer.

Dr. Awesome
05-27-2009, 02:52 AM
Luckily the Pacers won't actually take Ty Lawson, at least not with that pick.

Of course to be honest I think they could trade down in a 1 for 2 (or a 2 for something where you improve your 2nd pick and reduce your first pick) because it's looking like they might still get Blair and TWill or maybe better yet TWill and then Pendergraph if they had later picks. I also still really like Budinger's game.

I really don't like where the Pacers are falling this year in the draft; it's an awkward point full of reaches. All the guys worth getting are slotted later than the Pacers position. The big hope is some slipping on other guys. And of course to me TWill is worthy of this pick, but it would appear he's tracking lower now. Since he's not really a jump shooter at this point I'd say he's very likely to slip during tryouts full of drills and weak on actual gamesmanship and awareness which are his strong points.

Melli - I agree quite a bit with your last post. I will say that to me Flynn is a Lawson clone. Those 2 bring the same issue in my book. Great fit as a college floor leader, very little of the NBA skill set and PG tricks to survive in the NBA.

I've grown to like Harden, but I still can't shake a sense of him underwhelming when he comes out. He swings from explosive to almost unathletic within just a matter of possessions in game. But he's still likely to go top 5.

I think Hill is pressing past Thabeet just as you guys took them.
Larry Bird is very high on Ty Lawson if you remember last year.

count55
05-27-2009, 07:57 AM
I thought we weren't allowing trades, and if we are going to allow trades, shouldn't they at least be vaguely realistic?

WetBob
05-27-2009, 10:06 AM
I thought we weren't allowing trades, and if we are going to allow trades, shouldn't they at least be vaguely realistic?

If trades aren't allowed, the pick is James Johnson.

Noodle
05-27-2009, 10:09 AM
What you got count?

OakMoses
05-27-2009, 10:09 AM

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=46847&highlight=Alternate+Draft+Thread

Trades aren't allowed.

I like the pick. I've been wondering where he was going to go in this draft. He's one of the guys that gets significantly less attention on this board than he does on draft sites. He's also supposedly looked great in workouts, but I haven't read anything about anybody not looking great, so I don't know if that's worth anything.

count55
05-27-2009, 10:18 AM

It's not my call, but I would've offered 16 & 26 to move up to early 'teens.

But...if Chicago's on the clock, then they select:

DeJuan Blair - PF - Pittsburgh

We're thrilled that our #1 target was still on the board. He adds a nice physical presence, offers another post option, and shores up our rebounding. While we were pretty strong on the offensive glass, we were one of the worst teams in the league in terms of Defensive Rebounding percentage.

This also could be taken as a message that we are not sold on Tyrus Thomas.

Major Cold
05-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Well considering Maxiel's future is bleak I think it is a great pick.

OakMoses
05-27-2009, 10:25 AM
As long as you like that Iverson style of PG without the scoring/foul drawing ability then he's your guy. Get 4 defense only guys to play next to him and jury rig your 24 second clock so it always looks like there are only 5 seconds left and you might see something productive out of him.

I think Collison will make a fine backup PG. I'm thinking he'll have a career very similar to Jacques Vaughan.

OakMoses
05-27-2009, 10:25 AM
LoneGranger33 and the Philadelphia 76ers are on the clock.

Noodle
05-27-2009, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't be suprised if Chicago picked Blair, but they would be looking at wing players with that selection. Best player available.

1. Clippers - MillerTime - Blake Griffin
2. Grizzlies - Jose Slaughter - Ricky Rubio
3. Thunder - BRushwithdeath - James Harden
4. Kings - Major Cold - Brandon Jennings
5. Wizards - Mourning - Jordan HIll
6. Timberwolves - Mellifluous - Haseem Thabeet
7. Warriors - Hibbert Laugh- Stephen Curry
8. Knicks - TroyMurphy3 - Demar Derozan
9. Raptors - dcpacersfan - Tyreke Evans
10. Bucks - CableKC - Jrue Holiday
11. Nets - PostArtestEra - Earl Clark
12. Bobcats - DrFife - Gerald Henderson
13. Pacers - Duke Dynamite - Ty Lawson
14. Suns - avoidingtheclowns - Terrance Williams
15. Pistons - Wetbob - James Johnson
16. Bulls - Count55 - DeJuan Blair

count55
05-27-2009, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't be suprised if Chicago picked Blair, but they would be looking at wing players with that selection. Best player available.

1. Clippers - MillerTime - Blake Griffin
2. Grizzlies - Jose Slaughter - Ricky Rubio
3. Thunder - BRushwithdeath - James Harden
4. Kings - Major Cold - Brandon Jennings
5. Wizards - Mourning - Jordan HIll
6. Timberwolves - Mellifluous - Haseem Thabeet
7. Warriors - Hibbert Laugh- Stephen Curry
8. Knicks - TroyMurphy3 - Demar Derozan
9. Raptors - dcpacersfan - Tyreke Evans
10. Bucks - CableKC - Jrue Holiday
11. Nets - PostArtestEra - Earl Clark
12. Bobcats - DrFife - Gerald Henderson
13. Pacers - Duke Dynamite - Ty Lawson
14. Suns - avoidingtheclowns - Terrance Williams
15. Pistons - Wetbob - James Johnson
16. Bulls - Count55 - DeJuan Blair

DeJuan Blair is probably the BPA at this point. The others are PG's like Flynn Teague, and Maynor, while the wings available at this point: Buddinger, Daye and Young, I find less impressive than Blair.

pacergod2
05-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Well I actually think that trade was fairly realistic. The Jazz would like to be able to lock up Millsap for the long term and that will be considerably more difficult if Boozer doesn't opt out, which I hear he won't be. If he still is on the Jazz roster, they clear 12M with this deal. I would think that the deal would be more along the lines of the 15th and a second rounder and possibly a throw in developmental player like Amir Johnson. Then they are still clearing 8+M to help re-sign Millsap.

I would have taken James Johnson with the pick anyway, with the assumption that it was just the 15th for Boozer straight up. Sorry, I didn't realize there couldn't be trades.

pacergod2
05-27-2009, 11:03 AM
I am afraid of who Melli is going to take at 18. The Sixers and Hawks NEED outside shooting. BAD. I think the Hawks could go with a center at this point in the draft.

OakMoses
05-27-2009, 11:10 AM
I am afraid of who Melli is going to take at 18. The Sixers and Hawks NEED outside shooting. BAD. I think the Hawks could go with a center at this point in the draft.

It's not going to be a post player, I can tell you that much.

OakMoses
05-27-2009, 11:29 AM
A look into the Minnesota draft room as we wait for Philly to pick...

G - Randy Foye, Sebastien Telfair, Bobby Brown?
Wing - Mike Miller, Corey Brewer, Ryan Gomes, Brian Cardinal
Post - Al Jefferson, Kevin Love, Hasheem Thabeet, Craig Smith, Mark Madsen

Chad Ford's Best Available (That I'm considering):

#8 Jonny Flynn
#13 Jeff Teague
#17 Eric Maynor
#18 Austin Daye
#27 Sam Young

The obvious holes on my roster are for guards, and, luckily, the guards just happen to be the best players available right now. At PG it comes down to a choice between Flynn and Maynor. I don't think the fans really want to bring in another scoring guard and try to make them play PG like we did with Foye. Flynn and Maynor are both intriguing players. I think Flynn compares favorably to Aaron Brooks, TJ Ford, and other small PG's because he's a better, and more willing, passer. I love his leadership ability and killer instinct. It could be just what's lacking on this roster. Maynor is bigger and both a better shooter and defender, but doesn't have the handle, quickness, or passing ability of Flynn. He's shown some good leadership ability.

The sleepers are Austin Daye and Sam Young. Daye has the potential to be a top 10 SF. I'm a bit concerned about his motor. Young is just the opposite of Daye. He's got all the heart and desire you could ever want, but there are some questions about whether or not he has the athleticism to play at a high level in the NBA. He's also a bit of a reach at this point.

DrFife
05-27-2009, 11:35 AM
It's not my call, but I would've offered 16 & 26 to move up to early 'teens.

As the Charlotte GM picking #12, I would have accepted this offer.

Melli, I think I can safely say that we're all enjoying your version of this year's mock draft: thank you! :buddies:

While opening a mock draft to trades might be akin to opening a can of worms, however, may I suggest a modification for next year; namely, that:

1) Prior to the mock draft, the board (voting GMs, with Commish getting veto power) decide on a list of current NBA players who are likely to be traded during the real draft or ensuing off-season, and

2) GMs are allowed to PM one another to propose trades involving current picks, one pick from the following year and/or a player from the approved list. (Another really cool addition would be if all trade proposals were published after the mock draft was completed.)

I'm sensitive to creating more "work" for you than you want to take on, but I think some ability to trade would make things more thought-provoking as well as more enjoyable for all.

OakMoses
05-27-2009, 11:44 AM
As the Charlotte GM picking #12, I would have accepted this offer.

Melli, I think I can safely say that we're all enjoying your version of this year's mock draft: thank you! :buddies:

While opening a mock draft to trades might be akin to opening a can of worms, however, may I suggest a modification for next year; namely, that:

1) Prior to the mock draft, the board (voting GMs, with Commish getting veto power) decide on a list of current NBA players who are likely to be traded during the real draft or ensuing off-season, and

2) GMs are allowed to PM one another to propose trades involving current picks, one pick from the following year and/or a player from the approved list. (Another really cool addition would be if all trade proposals were published after the mock draft was completed.)

I'm sensitive to creating more "work" for you than you want to take on, but I think some ability to trade would make things more thought-provoking as well as more enjoyable for all.

I'm down with this.

avoidingtheclowns
05-27-2009, 12:43 PM
I would have gladly dropped to 16 and 26 for #14.

As a backup in the league, could he really be worse than Marcus Banks? Not likely.

I think Collison will make a fine backup PG. I'm thinking he'll have a career very similar to Jacques Vaughan.

Kind of what I'm thinking.

count55
05-27-2009, 12:46 PM
As it turned out, I didn't have to trade up...I got the guy I wanted all along.

pacergod2
05-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Your draft will be a very good one after getting Thabeet and one of the guards listed. Then having another pick at 28 on top of that. I think Minny could do a TON to get better in this draft. Unfortunately, they have a log jam of young players and not enough time for all of them.

I could see Minny really wheeling and dealing this draft. Assuming their new GM, David Kahn, gets working the phones ASAP. They have young talent and picks that could increase their overall talent level. I could see them trading 18 and 28 along with salary cap relief to another team to get in the top ten.

Imagine Minny giving up #6, #18, and #28 (or Ryan Gomes) for the number two pick to take Rubio. This would probably entice Memphis enough to forego the buyout issues and Minneapolis is a much bigger market. Memphis would still get a solid player with a lot of upside at 6. They need to fill out their roster with at least 5 guys and upwards of 7 so it would keep them well below the salary cap level to re-sign Gay and Mayo, Gasol, Arthur and Conley.

LG33
05-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Sorry for the delay gents. The GM of the 76ers made this decision during his lunch break, dedicating valuable work time to playing Minesweeper and creating a whole slew of Outlook rules that will never be utilized.

With the 17th pick in the PD Not Mock Draft, the Philadelphia 76ers select Eric Maynor of Virginia Commonwealth University.

This was a difficult decision for a team desperate for three point shooting, but our more pressing concerns right now are our lack of a coach, the potential loss of our floor leader (and team captain), and the lack of an identity that comes with such uncertainty. After the blockbuster off-season pick-up of Elton Brand, we now have two players locked up long-term in Brand and Iguodala (until 2012-2013). We have some young men up front in Sam Dalembert, Marreese Speights and even Jason Smith who can man the paint - even if Dalembert had an extremely disappointing season (especially at his salary) - and plenty of wings that can hit the mid-range shot and slash, including Iguodala and Willie Green (another guy who took a bit of a step back). Thaddeus Young, who Philly fans are quite fond of, can play a little of both. Our weaknesses clearly lie with our perimeter players. And while I like Louis Williams very much, I see him as more of a scorer (a small SG, combo-guard at best) than a playmaker. If Andre Miller bolts for free agency, then we'll be stuck starting Royal Ivey, who's serviceable as a backup but definitely not ready for primetime.

Ultimately, the decision to take Maynor (a guy better known for his short game than his long) is about the future but also about the present. Does Maynor have room to grow? Who can say for sure. We like what we've seen from him so far. More importantly for this franchise, we need an insurance plan in case we don't resign Miller (who's also getting up there in age) and someone who will, by season's end, hopefully be able to contribute in what we hope will be a long playoff run with a healthy roster. It doesn't hurt that he is among the best players available at this point in the draft, and certainly among the best true point guard prospects. (Wayne Ellington and Jeff Teague also both received a hard look).

Plus, we can get shooting from someone else. Kareem Rush wasn't that great for us, but I hear this Kyle Korver guy might be free again. Give the City of Brotherly Love a second chance?

Disclaimer: Obviously, this is just my opinion, but I should also say that this is a best guess based on what little I've seen of college basketball (two BC games and the championship) and the 76ers (only the games against the Pacers and in the playoffs). Let the criticism begin!

pacergod2
05-27-2009, 01:57 PM
I love this pick as long as you guys re-sign Andre Miller. Also, I could see the Sixers trading a few of their guys like Willie Green and Reggie Evans for a shooter who would be in the top 8 of their rotation with Young and Speights. Maybe Ben Gordon or mike Miller types come to mind.

OakMoses
05-27-2009, 02:04 PM
With the 18th pick, the Minnesota Timberwolves select Jonny Flynn, point guard from Syracuse University.

After holding out breath through the waiting time on Philly's pick, we're thrilled to get our #1 choice.

While there are legitmate questions about Flynn's size and ability to be an above average defender, there are no questions about his tenacity and leadership ability. I think he has Aaron Brooks+ potential. If Flynn can become a truly talented starting PG, we're looking like a talented young team.

Major Cold
05-27-2009, 03:17 PM
I personally think Maynor would fit better with the Wolves. Soley because Foye is an undersized SG and Telfair is another undersized PG. Add to that Jefferson being undersized at C and Mike Miller slow at SF, this team will continually have bad matchups on the defensive end.

Trophy
05-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Wow I'm surprised no one took Flynn yet.

OakMoses
05-27-2009, 04:07 PM
I personally think Maynor would fit better with the Wolves. Soley because Foye is an undersized SG and Telfair is another undersized PG. Add to that Jefferson being undersized at C and Mike Miller slow at SF, this team will continually have bad matchups on the defensive end.

You're right about the defensive liabilities. However, I do have Thabeet now so that should make up for a little bit. At this point I'm just grabbing as much talent as possible.

Rommie and the Atlanta Hawks are up with the 19th pick.

CableKC
05-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Hmmm.......I'm not sure, but I think that you're suggesting that the TWolves are.....undersized? :chin: :D

Major Cold
05-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Hmmm.......I'm not sure, but I think that you're suggesting that the TWolves are.....undersized? :chin: :D

I am by no means suggesting that they are undersized. I am noticing they are undersized.;)

Will Galen
05-27-2009, 11:58 PM
mellifluous,

You better watch it inviting someone to bite you, what if Bill takes you up on it? (grin)

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20090528/D98EUKI00.html
Police: Conn. woman bitten after 'bite me' remark

May 27, 9:35 PM (ET)

<style>p {margin:12px 0px 0px 0px;}</style>MERIDEN, Conn. (AP) - An analyst at the Connecticut Police Academy says a co-worker responded literally to her "bite me" remark and chomped on her. Former Waterbury police Capt. Francis Woodruff was charged Tuesday with disorderly conduct and released on a promise to appear in court. He's accused of biting academy license and applications (http://apnews.excite.com/article/20090528/D98EUKI00.html#) analyst Rochelle Wyler on April 24.
A police arrest report says Wyler had teeth marks and bruising on the back of her left arm.
Wyler's complaint alleges Woodruff was annoying her by calling her a clerk. She says she responded with "bite me" - and he did.
Woodruff also is a training coordinator with the 130-member police department in Meriden, just south of Hartford. He says he was joking around.

CableKC
05-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Wow I'm surprised no one took Flynn yet.
Someone is going to have to do some extensive analysis on him ( like what's been done on Lawson and...to a certain extent....Maynor ). I've only heard of him up until a few weeks back.

LG33
05-28-2009, 12:41 AM
I honestly did not give the kid much of a look because of what Cable said. What I've heard about him was that he was more of a scorer than a passer, but it appears he gets his fair share of assists as well, so I'm not sure what to think. I agree that the opinion of someone who has actually seen the 'Cuse play would be nice.

MyFavMartin
05-28-2009, 08:12 AM
This is NO: Looking to trade Chandler to a team with the cap space. Would only want draft picks back.

OakMoses
05-28-2009, 10:26 AM
I honestly did not give the kid much of a look because of what Cable said. What I've heard about him was that he was more of a scorer than a passer, but it appears he gets his fair share of assists as well, so I'm not sure what to think. I agree that the opinion of someone who has actually seen the 'Cuse play would be nice.

I can't provide a detalied, Tbird/NaptownSeth-type analysis, but I did watch Syracuse play at least 3 times this season. Flynn is a high risk/high reward type of player.

The downside is that he's small (5'11"), takes a fair amount of bad shots, and relies on his superior quickness and excellent ball-handling to create opportunities. He's small, however, and not a great finisher at the rim. He's also a bit turnover prone due to his penchant for making high risk passes.

The upside is that he just might be as quick as TJ Ford or Aaron Brooks. He's a better and more willing passer than Brooks, and he's a much better shooter than Ford was coming out of college and maybe better than Ford is now. He's a far better ball-handler than Ty Lawson.

Ford is actually a pretty good comparison for Flynn. They both have a tendency to dominate the ball, but both are excellent at creating their own shots and do not shy away from the big moment late in games.

CableKC
05-28-2009, 01:13 PM
I can't provide a detalied, Tbird/NaptownSeth-type analysis, but I did watch Syracuse play at least 3 times this season. Flynn is a high risk/high reward type of player.

The downside is that he's small (5'11"), takes a fair amount of bad shots, and relies on his superior quickness and excellent ball-handling to create opportunities. He's small, however, and not a great finisher at the rim. He's also a bit turnover prone due to his penchant for making high risk passes.

The upside is that he just might be as quick as TJ Ford or Aaron Brooks. He's a better and more willing passer than Brooks, and he's a much better shooter than Ford was coming out of college and maybe better than Ford is now. He's a far better ball-handler than Ty Lawson.

Ford is actually a pretty good comparison for Flynn. They both have a tendency to dominate the ball, but both are excellent at creating their own shots and do not shy away from the big moment late in games.
Why would we want to draft the College version of Ford if we have the NBA version of him?

I'm with many of you.....unless it's Evans, Holiday or Maynor ( with some other pick that we buy )....then I would prefer to stay away from any undersized PGs. At the 13th pick, there are no "no-brainers" at the PG spot that would sway me from picking up a GF ( like Henderson or TWill ) or even going with an undersized ( but strong ) Blair at the PF spot ahead of an undersized PG.

Major Cold
05-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Flynn is better shooting off of the dribble. I think he is better at that then most of the other PG in the draft and better than Ford coming out of college.

Is Flynn faster than most because he mainly faced zone defenses, allowing him to cut and slash unhindered at times? Or is he really faster cause his legs go quicker?:)

Trophy
05-28-2009, 03:31 PM
A mock draft website said that he can be best compared to a Damon Stoudamire type of player.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jonny-flynn

MyFavMartin
05-28-2009, 06:59 PM

Top guys left on the board:

Daye, Teague, Mullens, Hansbrough, Lawal, Budinger, Sam Young, Marcus Thornton, Patrick Mills, Casspi, Derrick Brown

Trophy
05-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Are we doing second round picks or is that too much?

CableKC
05-29-2009, 03:21 AM
Are we doing second round picks or is that too much?
Yes, that's too much....in a really weak draft where it will be hard to draft any one in the 20s.....digging around for some prospect at the 60th pick is going to be hard.

Major Cold
05-29-2009, 07:20 AM
I agree. Why select players that will, most likely, not play.

OakMoses
05-29-2009, 10:14 AM
How long do y'all think we should give Rommie to make his pick? We're not in any hurry since the picks have come fairly quickly, but he is over the initial 24 hour time limit. I'm all for waiting a bit longer, but I'm open to other opinions.

Major Cold
05-29-2009, 10:23 AM
He has not even read this thread.

count55
05-29-2009, 10:31 AM
How long do y'all think we should give Rommie to make his pick? We're not in any hurry since the picks have come fairly quickly, but he is over the initial 24 hour time limit. I'm all for waiting a bit longer, but I'm open to other opinions.

Give him until 2...that'll be 48 hours...then we need to get moving again, I think.

OakMoses
05-29-2009, 10:37 AM
I PM'd him yesterday. Is there anyway to tell when the last time he logged on was?

count55
05-29-2009, 11:03 AM
I PM'd him yesterday. Is there anyway to tell when the last time he logged on was?

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/member.php?u=6750

His profile says last activity was last night around 10 pm, but he hasn't posted for a week.

OakMoses
05-29-2009, 11:13 AM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/member.php?u=6750

His profile says last activity was last night around 10 pm, but he hasn't posted for a week.

That was after I sent him the PM, so he should know. I'll give him until 2.

How should we do the pick? We could do a poll, I could make it for him, or we could take volunteers from non-participating PDers.

Trophy
05-29-2009, 03:36 PM
The best player selected really late in a draft was Manu Ginobili at 59.

flox
05-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Flynn drops down to 18..-/

And Lawson goes to the Pacers..

BRushWithDeath
05-29-2009, 05:27 PM
There is no reason not to do the 2nd round.

CableKC
05-29-2009, 05:38 PM
For me there is, outside of the top 10 picks in the 2nd round ( basically solid prospects that have fallen out of the 1st )......you might as well put names in a hat and randomly pick players. I don't even know if I can name more then 10 players that I would want to draft in the 2nd round.

pacergod2
05-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Well... are we going to stick with the same teams or change if we were to do a second round. I would stick with the Jazz, which would give me a middle of the round pick. I am up for asecond round.

Trophy
05-29-2009, 09:14 PM

I agree. There's still some decent players in the 2nd round until you get past 50. Except our selection at 52.

count55
05-29-2009, 09:23 PM
There's not even a reason for the NBA to do the second round.

pacergod2
05-29-2009, 10:02 PM
That is an excellent point Count. But I will stick with a hope. Those are the players that make rosters and contribute. I would have been very disappointed in not being able to watch Carlos Boozer play. He is an excellent player who is tough and displays probably the most fundamentally sound front-court moves in the NBA. Footwork and smarts. I love it. Those are the types of players you get in the second round. I hope the Pacers will take a player who can eventually contribute again this year. I love the second round for that reason. Hope.

count55
05-29-2009, 10:20 PM
That is an excellent point Count. But I will stick with a hope. Those are the players that make rosters and contribute. I would have been very disappointed in not being able to watch Carlos Boozer play. He is an excellent player who is tough and displays probably the most fundamentally sound front-court moves in the NBA. Footwork and smarts. I love it. Those are the types of players you get in the second round. I hope the Pacers will take a player who can eventually contribute again this year. I love the second round for that reason. Hope.

Boozer would have found a roster spot in the NBA. Of the 446 players who played in the league this year, 101 were drafted between 31-60 (the current second round), and 70 were undrafted.

The good players will find a way to a roster spot, and the others won't. Actually, I would think a decent portion of the players would prefer being free agents to being drafted in the 2nd.

Over the last 29 years, only about 1 in 11 2nd rounders ever amount to anything. If you want to talk about guys who become bona fide starting quality producers, it goes to about 1 in 50. Over 1/3 never play a game in the NBA.

Right now, today, Stanko Barac and Erazem Lorbek could only be considered slightly below average for a 2nd round pick.

Trophy
05-30-2009, 12:00 AM
I just think the second round makes it more exciting and longer. It gives teams options to have players' rights and they can sign them when they want to and if the player wants to.

The second round can still make dreams come true to the players drafted no matter how bad they are.

LG33
05-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Boozer would have found a roster spot in the NBA. Of the 446 players who played in the league this year, 101 were drafted between 31-60 (the current second round), and 70 were undrafted.

Where did you find this information?

count55
05-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Where did you find this information?

The source data was from bbr, and I just linked and pivoted the data for 2009 based on draft position.

MyFavMartin
05-30-2009, 09:06 PM
So when is Rommie's time up and who do we give him?

Are Hawks needs at C or PG?

OakMoses
05-31-2009, 09:07 AM
With the 19th pick, the Atlanta Hawks select Jeff Teague.

OakMoses
05-31-2009, 09:08 AM
GM pacergod2 and the Utah Jazz are on the clock.

MyFavMartin
05-31-2009, 01:31 PM
GM pacergod2 and the Utah Jazz are on the clock.

Top players left on the board:

Daye, Mullens, Hansbrough, Lawal, Budinger, Sam Young, Marcus Thornton, Patrick Mills, Casspi, Derrick Brown

pacergod2
05-31-2009, 03:19 PM
With the 20th Pick in the draft, the Utah Jazz select Sam Young, SF, Pittsburgh.

MyFavMartin
05-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Well, here I am as the GM of NO, at about $6 million over the lux tax limit commited to 10 players and and 11th with a PO that will probably pick it up (Devin Brown). There's rumors we're talking to Jannero Pargo and that we're interested in Shaq. And there's also indication that we might be selling this pick...

We have expiring contracts in Antonio Daniels at $6.6 mil and Rasual Butler at $3.9.

We have our franchise player in CP3 that we won't be trading to Portland.

We tried to trade Tyson Chandler before the trade deadline to OKC but that got stubbed by a toe. I still could see the logic in salary dump of $13 mil to get under the luxury tax level. The only other player that fits the description on the roster like that besides the franchise player is Peja. And no one is going to trade for an overpaid, non-expiring, playoff-choking, non-defense-playing, injury-plagued shoot-aholic.

So we have:

1 Chris Paul
2 Peja
3 James Posey
4 David West
5 Chandler

2nd squad:
1 Daniels
2 Rasual Butler
3 MoPete
4 Julian Wright
5 Hilton Armstrong

We're a deep squad that doesn't have immediate needs on-the-court-wise. Season ticket holders are renewing at 80%, which is fantastic.

I won't be surprised if NO is not picking at #21, at least not for themselves. Either the pick will get sold or incorporated in a salary-dump trade. But if we move Chandler, we'll have a long-term need at the 5 spot - Armstrong has done well as the 3rd frontcourt rotation player. The signing of Pargo should give us some depth at both the 1 and 2 spots after we let Daniels and Butler expire.

I fully expect teams to be calling to trade up at this spot. A team like Sacramento or Portland might want to get ahead of Dallas to draft Hansbrough... and the guy we would take at #21 could still be there at #23 or #24. Later, and I'd be afraid OKC at #25 will select him:

With the twenty-first pick of the 2009 NBA draft, your New Orleans Hornets select:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/bj_mullens.jpg

B.J. Mullens from The Ohio State University

binarysolo
05-31-2009, 11:06 PM
Current Mavericks roster:

PG: JKidd (FA) / JJ Barea
SG: Wright / Terry
SF: Howard / Singleton
PF: Nowitzki / Bass (FA)
C: Dampier / Hollins (FA)

Kidd's status is currently uncertain -- if he leaves, PG becomes the obvious immediate need. I believe they will re-sign Kidd and devote their attention to another position.

I think what the Mavericks really need is some toughness in the frontcourt, preferably someone who could contribute immediately. I don't think there is such a player to be taken at this point in the draft. I'm going to go BPA instead, and take Austin Daye with the 22nd pick in the 2009 draft.

pacergod2
05-31-2009, 11:32 PM
Just a quick synapsis of why the Jazz took Young. He is a tough defensive player to pair on the wing with Brewer. Brewer is one of the better young defensive wings and to put Young next to him, that will be an excellent wing tandem. Young is very tough. He is smart and is a capable offensive player already. I wanted to go front court depth as well with the uncertainty of the futures of both Boozer, Millsap, and Okur. I feel as though Millsap and Okur will be around for a while. We took the other Ohio State center in Kosta Kufos last year and we have Krylo Fesenko and Matt Harpring to provide depth. Kirilenko will be a good player for Sam Young to learn some defensive techniques from as well. I just think his game will translate really well to the pros, especially on a very stable and intelligent overall team. Young fits a half court mold that the Jazz are very proficient in, especially with DWill at the helm.

PG-DWill
SG-Brewer
SF-Young
PF-Millsap
C-Okur/Kufos

Thats what the future of this team will look like.

Major Cold
06-01-2009, 09:11 AM
The front court depth is one of the worst in the NBA here in Sacramento. After the outstindaing starters of Hawes and Thompson, the Kings have Kenny Thomas, Calvin Booth, and Ike Diogu. I have asked the Maloofs to allow us to use the asset of Kenny Thomas' expiring 8M to add depth.

With this particular selection we are needing someone to come in and contribute some minutes. Ideally we want a backup C, so that Thompson and Hawes do not have to log in massive amounts of minuetes. Hawes' knee is a massive concern. For a player with his history with knee problems, a collision at the end of the season should worry us.

So the question is should we get a Hawes security player? If that is the case then Lawal should be looked at. We know that he would be a couple of years away from contributing, but he has upside in the front court that no one else has thus far. Getting a risky player this late in the draft is not as damaging, than say at the 4th selection. But we have major concerns with his foot work and intelligence of the game.

So we must address the needs of the team. And this team needs a player that can come in contribute and push the malecontents (Donte Greene and Diogu).

We are thrilled to announce that with the 23rd pick of the 2009 NBA draft, the Sacramento Kings select Tyler Hansbrough out of North Carolina.

OakMoses
06-01-2009, 10:11 AM
GM Pwee31 of the Portland Trailblazers, you're on the clock.

pwee31
06-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Well our season ended with an early exit out of the playoffs, which was disappointing, but we have a solid future ahead of us. We have a nice core to surround Brandon Roy, and seem to be a wing and point guard away from being a really good team. Though PG is a glaring lead, we're going to look at free agency and trades to try to bring in a veteran PG to help this team take that next step immediately.

Though Travis Outlaw has been a nice spark off the bench, and Batum is still growing into form, I look at the draft board, and to me the BPA is at a position we've been looking for the past few years, and will allow us to include a player like Outlaw or Batum in a deal to bring us that veteran PG if free agency doesn't work out.

So with the 24th pick, the Portland Trailblazers select Chase Budinger (Arizona)

OakMoses
06-01-2009, 11:16 AM
The OKC Thunder are now on the clock.

DrBadd01
06-01-2009, 11:25 AM
The front court depth is one of the worst in the NBA here in Sacramento. After the outstindaing starters of Hawes and Thompson, the Kings have Kenny Thomas, Calvin Booth, and Ike Diogu. I have asked the Maloofs to allow us to use the asset of Kenny Thomas' expiring 8M to add depth.

With this particular selection we are needing someone to come in and contribute some minutes. Ideally we want a backup C, so that Thompson and Hawes do not have to log in massive amounts of minuetes. Hawes' knee is a massive concern. For a player with his history with knee problems, a collision at the end of the season should worry us.

So the question is should we get a Hawes security player? If that is the case then Lawal should be looked at. We know that he would be a couple of years away from contributing, but he has upside in the front court that no one else has thus far. Getting a risky player this late in the draft is not as damaging, than say at the 4th selection. But we have major concerns with his foot work and intelligence of the game.

So we must address the needs of the team. And this team needs a player that can come in contribute and push the malecontents (Donte Greene and Diogu).

We are thrilled to announce that with the 23rd pick of the 2009 NBA draft, the Sacramento Kings select Tyler Hansbrough out of North Carolina.

. . . and the kings get another draft day bargain.

BRushWithDeath
06-01-2009, 11:53 AM
At this point in the draft I think you almost have to completely forget about team needs and go straight to best player available. Fortunately for me, (or unfortunately for the Thunder) Oklahoma City has needs all over the court. With that in mind I can take the best available player and still fill a need.

With the 25th pick in the 2009 NBA Draft, the Oklahoma City Thunder select...

Patrick Mills, PG, St. Mary's (Australia)

OakMoses
06-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Count55 and the Bulls are on the clock.

count55
06-01-2009, 02:12 PM
As our pick approached, we were disappointed to see players we hoped would be available go off the board in Patty Mills, Austin Daye, and Sam Young.

Still pleased with the addition of Blair at #16, I'm less enthusiastic about our 26th pick. I am fielding offers to move down out of this position, hoping to avoid the guaranteed contract for players that just last year would have been solidly in the second round.

I've got no takers, and there is no clear-cut "best available player." I briefly toy with taking Nick Calathes and letting the Greeks pay him for a year or two, but I set that aside for the moment.

Ben Gordon is looking for a new contract, and I'm not all that interested in paying him. Two years ago, we offered him a 5/$50 extension...last year, we offered a 6/$54. He did give us some great games in the playoffs, but investing tons of money in a latter day Vinnie Johnson isn't high on my priority list.

Had Blair not been available at 16, I probably would have looked at Gani Lawal here, but I think I might look for a little help at wing. There, I like Marcus Thornton and Wayne Ellington. However, I can't say I like either a ton.

So, what to do?

Are you sure I can't interest somebody in this pick?

No?

OK...

I'll go with the program: Wayne Ellington - SG - UNC

OakMoses
06-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Jose Slaughter and the Memphis Grizzlies are on the clock.

Jose Slaughter
06-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Sorry guys I'm at work right now.

I'll need to wait until I get home to make my pick.

Young
06-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Sorry guys for holding up the draft. I was away this weekend and forgot about it.

OakMoses
06-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Sorry guys I'm at work right now.

I'll need to wait until I get home to make my pick.

Sorry guys for holding up the draft. I was away this weekend and forgot about it.

No worries at all guys. I can tell you that I've got to go to a graduation tonight, so my pick won't be in until tomorrow morning.

Rommie, if you're around tonight after Jose picks and you want to join in, you're welcome to make my pick. I've already had 2.

pacergod2
06-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Melli.... always the great gestures. :buddies:

CableKC
06-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Well, here I am as the GM of NO, at about $6 million over the lux tax limit commited to 10 players and and 11th with a PO that will probably pick it up (Devin Brown). There's rumors we're talking to Jannero Pargo and that we're interested in Shaq. And there's also indication that we might be selling this pick...

We have expiring contracts in Antonio Daniels at $6.6 mil and Rasual Butler at $3.9.

We have our franchise player in CP3 that we won't be trading to Portland.

We tried to trade Tyson Chandler before the trade deadline to OKC but that got stubbed by a toe. I still could see the logic in salary dump of $13 mil to get under the luxury tax level. The only other player that fits the description on the roster like that besides the franchise player is Peja. And no one is going to trade for an overpaid, non-expiring, playoff-choking, non-defense-playing, injury-plagued shoot-aholic.

So we have:

1 Chris Paul
2 Peja
3 James Posey
4 David West
5 Chandler

2nd squad:
1 Daniels
2 Rasual Butler
3 MoPete
4 Julian Wright
5 Hilton Armstrong

We're a deep squad that doesn't have immediate needs on-the-court-wise. Season ticket holders are renewing at 80%, which is fantastic.

I won't be surprised if NO is not picking at #21, at least not for themselves. Either the pick will get sold or incorporated in a salary-dump trade. But if we move Chandler, we'll have a long-term need at the 5 spot - Armstrong has done well as the 3rd frontcourt rotation player. The signing of Pargo should give us some depth at both the 1 and 2 spots after we let Daniels and Butler expire.

I fully expect teams to be calling to trade up at this spot. A team like Sacramento or Portland might want to get ahead of Dallas to draft Hansbrough... and the guy we would take at #21 could still be there at #23 or #24. Later, and I'd be afraid OKC at #25 will select him:
Good analysis of the Hornets. In the end, I think that NO will sell the pick for some $$$.

Young
06-01-2009, 05:45 PM
No worries at all guys. I can tell you that I've got to go to a graduation tonight, so my pick won't be in until tomorrow morning.

Rommie, if you're around tonight after Jose picks and you want to join in, you're welcome to make my pick. I've already had 2.

Nah that's ok. The funny thing is I had Jeff Teague (or Johnny Flynn) in mind for the Hawks.

Jose Slaughter
06-01-2009, 06:08 PM
I'll try to do a break down of the roster later tonight but the Griz need help up front so I'll take the best available big, Gani Lawal a PF out of Georgia Tech.

MyFavMartin
06-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Good analysis of the Hornets. In the end, I think that NO will sell the pick for some $$$.

I agree with you with the big caveat that if they trade Chandler to a team like Detroit, who has the cap space to just send back a draft pick, then I think they keep the pick. Selling draft picks always hurts a team long-term because it's a cheap way to acquire good, young talent and keep it for a while, particularly with 1st rounders.

Draft night is going to be very interesting as I see a lot of teams that have motivation to make moves both for on- (address team needs) and off-court reasons ($).

I hated going with Mullens for the sake that he's projected at the pick, but it makes sense, so Occam's razor.

OakMoses
06-02-2009, 10:44 AM
I hated going with Mullens for the sake that he's projected at the pick, but it makes sense, so Occam's razor.

Pretty much anybody who uses Occam's razor in a post jumps into my top 10 immediately. Count55's the only other person I've seen mention it.

Major Cold
06-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Occam's razor

OakMoses
06-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Well, this is somewhat of a swing for the fences type of pick for the Wolves.

With Jefferson, Love and Thabeet, I've got a very solid 4/5 rotation. Craig Smith and Ryan Gomes are pretty ample fill-ins also.

Since I picked up Flynn and I've got Telfair, I've probably got all the youth I need at the PG position.

The obvious hole in the roster is at the 2/3 position where I've only truly got Foye and Brewer.

Guys I'm cosidering for this pick:

DaJuan Summers - He's more of a 3/4 than a true wing player, and he's a lot like Ryan Gomes. However, he's got as much potential as anybody left at this point. He's a fantastic athlete with a good shooting stroke. I wish it wasn't so hard to evaluate guys from Georgetown.

Marcus Thornton - If he were 2 inches taller, he'd have been long gone by now. He's a very good scorer who likes to do most of his work off the ball. That would be a good fit as both my PG's really like to dribble. He looks to be an average defender.

Danny Green - Most people don't think Green will get picked in the 1st round. I like him a fair bit though. He can play both wing positions, doesn't need the ball to be effective, and really gets after it defensively. I really think you only need one viable offensive skill to play in the NBA if you're an above average defender, and Green's got a jumpshot. He looks to be a guy in the Bowen/Posey/Hassell/Buckner mold.

Omri Cassipi - An athletic 6'8" European player who doesn't quite fit the traditional Euro mold. He's known for his toughness and aggressiveness, is a good on-ball defender, and is not a great shooter.

I'm going to commit a cardinal sin here and draft for need over potential. Summers and Cassipi are the high risk/reward picks, but I need a wing who can step in and play this season.

With the 28th pick the Timberwolves select Danny Green.

OakMoses
06-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Occam's razor
:-p

OakMoses
06-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Peskoe97 and the Lakers are on the clock.

DrFife
06-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Occam's razor

I shave with it most everyday. :D

P.S. I repeat: Keep an eye/ear on the swell in romance for Mullens' athleticism. I think it might lead to a parallel opportunity to the pick swap from last year.

CableKC
06-02-2009, 12:28 PM
My first thought of your suggested pick for the Hornets was that they were continuing their long search for yet another backup Frontcourt Player to play next to David West. A few years ago, they went with Hilton Armstrong...this time...BJ Mullens.

Mr. Sobchak
06-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Lakers Current Depth Chart:

Bynum/Mbenga
Gasol/Odom/Powell
Ariza/Odom/Walton/Morrison
Bryant/Vujacic/Yue
Fisher/Brown/Farmar

Free Agents:

Trevor Ariza - Unrestricted
Shannon Brown - Option on restriction
Kobe Bryant - Early termination option
Didier Ilunga-Mbenga - Unguaranteed
Lamar Odom - Unrestricted
Josh Powell - Unguaranteed
Sun Yue - Unguaranteed

Players Available:

Marcus Thornton
Darren Collison
DaJuan Summers
Derrick Brown
Taj Gibson
Omri Casspi
Rodrigue Beaubois
Toney Douglas
Jeff Adrien

With this crop of free agents, there are going to be a few holes to fill on my roster in 2009-2010. Both Odom and Ariza have a good chance of signing elsewhere next season, which leaves my roster short-handed at the 3 spot. My roster could also use an infusion of toughness - especially if Ariza leaves. I feel very fortunate that one of the toughest players in the draft is still on my board and might just be the best available player at this point in time. That being said, with the 29th pick in the 2009 NBA draft, the Los Angeles Lakers select Omri Casspi from Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Casspi, by all accounts, was one of the toughest players in the Euroleague last year. He also draws comparison to Matt Harpring on a few draft sites, which is one of the toughest players in the NBA. Casspi also fills an important need for our team at the 3 spot. Casspi is rumored to be a diva and have a bad attitude but he is going to a situation where he can be put in check by Kobe and Phil.

MyFavMartin
06-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Pretty much anybody who uses Occam's razor in a post jumps into my top 10 immediately. Count55's the only other person I've seen mention it.

My brother played in a band at Purdue called Morgan's Canon, which is similar to Occam's Razor.

Every now and then, the blind squirrel finds a nut.

UncleReg
06-02-2009, 09:21 PM
After finishing the regular season with a league-best 66 wins and walking its way through the first two rounds with eight wins in double-digits, the Cavaliers franchise is nothing but disappointed. This was supposed to be the year when a hometown kid would erase 45 years of heartbreak and despair by taking the Cavs to the promise land in what shouldve been an epic matchup between arguably what many will call two best players since Jordan.

Instead, it's back to the drawing board after a balanced and unappreciated Magic team easily dismantled the Cavs. With more questions to the roster than they had coming into the season, and with no answers available to better position themselves in the 2010 LeBron Sweepstakes this offseason, the Cavs front office head into the draft with low esteem and low expectations.

In a perfect world, there would be a big, physical, low-post presence who can provide some semblance of interior offensive power available at pick #30. This is clearly the Cavs' biggest need.

In a less perfect, but still peachy world, there would be a guard or wing with an NBA body who could help create and try to alleviate some of the pressure on LeBron.

Danny Ferry and co. were praying for Gani Lawal to fall to them, but just like many Cavs fans this season, their prayers were not answered. They considered the likes of Jeff Adrien, Josh Heytvelt, Derrick Brown, Jermaine Taylor, a dark horse in Milan Macvan, and Marcus Thornton.

Adrien is just simply too undersized. Heytvelt is too soft, has shaky character issues, and probably can't spell defense, let alone play it. Derrick Brown is an explosive player with an NBA body, has an incredible wingspan and standing reach; however he seems to be a bit of a tweener, maybe being better suited for the 3. Inconsistency and commitment to defense are other issues surrounding Brown. The little known Jermaine Taylor was also an intriguing option. Taylor is a deadly scorer with terrific slashing ability, tremendous athleticism, and has NBA size at the 2-guard. But he still proves to be too much of a liability on both ends of the floor. Shaky shot selection, tendency to turn the ball over, lack of intensity on D, and unproven against top competition as well as the ability to carry his teammates ultimately had Ferry looking the other way. Milan Macvan wouldve been the perfect match if he could so much as jump over a centipede. He has an insanely high basketball IQ, runs the pick and roll to perfection, has 3-point range, and has great court vision and passing ability. Watching LeBron run the pick-and-roll with this cat could be insanely fun to watch..... Problem is he is less athletic than my grandfather, plays far too below the rim, has no upside, and is probably a bit of a reach at #30. Marcus Thornton, while limited in his ability to create for himself, has proven to be a more than capable scorer who plays solid defense. He couldve been a great kick-out option for LeBron.

However, it is time to reveal the man of choice for Ferry and the Cavaliers.

With the 30th pick in the 2009 "Bite Me BillS, I'm Not Going to Call it the PD Mock Draft, no matter what you say" Mock Draft, the Cleveland Cavaliers select JEFF PENDERGRAPH from Arizona State University.

Pendergraph has limited potential and average athleticism; however he brings a high basketball IQ, size and energy down low, and an offensive option around the rim for LeBron to play with. He will be a joy for Mike Brown to coach, as he understands what he can and cannot do, he always executes the offense as it was designed, and is extremely coachable. He knows exactly what to do in pick and roll situations and can finish around the basket. Pendergraph will be a terrific role player that will bring some much needed offensive ability to the Cleveland interior.

OakMoses
06-03-2009, 10:24 AM
That was a lot of fun. Thanks everybody.

count55
06-03-2009, 12:26 PM
That was a lot of fun. Thanks everybody.

Thank You

pacergod2
06-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Just putting this up as a summary at this end of the thread.

#19 - Atlanta Hawks - Jeff Teague, G, Wake Forest
#20 - Utah Jazz - Sam Young, G/F, Pittsburgh
#21 - New Orleans Hornets - BJ Mullens, C, Ohio St.
#22 - Dallas Mavericks - Austin Daye, F, Gonzaga
#23 - Sacramento Kings - Tyler Hansbrough, PF, North Carolina
#24 - Portland Trailblazers - Chase Budinger, G/F, Arizona
#25 - Oklahoma City Thunder - Patrick Mills, PG, St. Mary's
#26 - Chicago Bulls - Wayne Ellington, SG, North Carolina
#27 - Memphis Grizzlies - Gani Lawal, PF, Georgia Tech
#28 - Minnesota Timberwolves - Danny Green, G/F, North Carolina
#29 - Los Angeles Lakers - Omri Cassipi, F, Europe
#30 - Cleveland Cavaliers - Jeff Pendergraph, F, Arizona St.

LG33
06-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Guess what TPTB did over at Pacers.com...

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/fan_mock_draft_090603.html

Pacers fans gathered on June 3 for our first Live Mock Draft. Fans were assigned teams based on their requests on a first-come, first-served basis. We will host another Live Mock Draft the week of June 15, so please check Pacers.com for updates.

PACERS FANS MOCK DRAFT
June 3, 2009

1. Clippers -- Blake Griffin, PF, Oklahoma
2. Grizzlies -- Hasheem Thabeet, C, Georgetown
3. Thunder -- James Harden, SG, Arizona State
4. Kings -- Ricky Rubio, PG, Spain
5. Wizards -- Jordan Hill, PF, Arizona
6. Timberwolves -- Stephon Curry, G, Davidson
7. Warriors -- Jrue Holiday, PG, UCLA
8. Knicks -- Jonny Flynn, PG, Syracuse
9. Raptors -- Tyreke Evans, G, Memphis
10. Bucks -- DeJuan Blair, PF, Pittsburgh
11. Nets -- Earl Clark, PF, Louisville
12. Bobcats -- DeMar DeRozan, SG/SF, USC
13. Pacers -- Brandon Jennings, PG, Italy
14. Suns -- Jeff Teague, PG, Wake Forest
15. Pistons -- Eric Maynor, PG, VCU
16. Bulls -- James Johnson, F, Wake Forest
17. Sixers -- Ty Lawson, PG, North Carolina
18. Timberwolves -- B.J. Mullens, C, Ohio St.
19. Hawks -- Austin Daye, SF, Gonzaga
20. Jazz -- Tyler Hansbrough, PF, North Carolina
21. Hornets -- Gerald Henderson, SG/SF, Duke
22. Mavericks -- Terrence Williams, SG/SF, Louisville
23. Kings -- Omri Casspi, SF, Israel
24. Blazers -- Chase Budinger, SF/SG, Arizona
25. Thunder -- DaJuan Summers, F, Georgetown
26. Bulls -- Wayne Ellington, SG, North Carolina
27. Grizzlies -- Gani Lawal, PF, Georgia Tech
28. Timberwolves -- Sam Young, SF, Pittsburgh
29. Lakers -- Toney Douglas, PG, Florida St.
30. Cavs -- Vladimir Davis, PF/SF, Montenegro

idioteque
06-04-2009, 11:18 AM

Pacers fans gathered on June 3 for our first Live Mock Draft. Fans were assigned teams based on their requests on a first-come, first-served basis. We will host another Live Mock Draft the week of June 15, so please check Pacers.com for updates.

PACERS FANS MOCK DRAFT
June 3, 2009

Hmm I wonder where they got that idea from?

Some really strange picks here. If I were a Thunder fan I'd be angry to pick James Harden of all people over Ricky Rubio. I also can't see guys like Teague, Maynor, Mullens, Daye, and Hansborough going over guys like Henderson and T-Will.

People need to cut it out with this idea of the Pacers possibly getting Brandon Jennings. Stop giving me false hope people.

Major Cold
06-04-2009, 11:36 AM
I would rather have Harden than Rubio, if I were the Thunder. Harden is tearing it up in workouts and moves the ball well for a wing. Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Green, Astiff is a decent young core.

Rubio and Westbrook can't shoot that well, and teams would sag off of them to pressure Durant. Harden keeps teams more honest.

OakMoses
06-04-2009, 11:40 AM
To me the Stephen Curry pick is the most unrealistic pick in that draft. I just don't see him being a good fit at all for what's going on in Minnesota.

The Austin Daye to the Hawks pick is nothing short of hilarious.

pwee31
06-04-2009, 12:18 PM

PACERS FANS MOCK DRAFT
June 3, 2009

What drives me crazy is that Pacers.com says FANS pick Jennings, which is so misleading, and make you believe multiple fans vote or something.

I actually stopped in and glanced at the process, and they pretty much did what we did. Assigned picks on a 1st come 1st serve basis, and that person selected a player.

It would be like us posting Pacers Fans pick Lawson, when it was really just Dukie D.

That mock was a little off throughout, and a lot of the "GMs" didn't agree on each other picks. Which is understandable

Major Cold
06-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Bruno does not like Jennings, cause he didn't "tear it up" in Europe. Am I wrong, but isn't that league highly competitive. Bruno likes Blair though.

CableKC
06-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Bruno does not like Jennings, cause he didn't "tear it up" in Europe. Am I wrong, but isn't that league highly competitive. Bruno likes Blair though.
I'm not sure what the answer is cuz the only thing I could find was that Jennings did not participate in that Euro Reebok draft camp....but how much has Jennings worked out in front of actual NBA scouts/GMs against other comprable College talent ( like against Lawson, Evans, Flynn, etc. )?

I know that he's competed against Euro Talent which could be considered ( at a minimum ) between College and NBA talent....but if he hasn't participated too much against comprable talent, it's going to be hard for GMs to guage how high or low he should be drafted.

Major Cold
06-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Who is coming next week to workout?

CableKC
06-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Who is coming next week to workout?
Luke Nevill - June 11th

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luke-Nevill-548/

Jeremy Pargo - June 19th

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jeremy-Pargo-1153/

pwee31
06-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Luke Nevill - June 11th

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luke-Nevill-548/

Jeremy Pargo - June 19th

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jeremy-Pargo-1153/

sounds exciting

CableKC
06-04-2009, 05:35 PM
sounds exciting
Can't wait.........we're scrapping the bottom of the barrell for talent :suicide4:

Trophy
06-04-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm happy we're gonna take a look at Jeremy Pargo. I think he'll have some success in the league. Maybe not right away but maybe a few months in the D-League and he'll be a Ramon Sessions kind of player.

Mr. Sobchak
06-04-2009, 08:35 PM
There are a lot more players coming than that starting on the 11th. They are having workouts pretty much non stop until draft time.