PDA

View Full Version : What is your take on Gani Lawal?

RamBo_Lamar
05-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Good morning!

It is now known the Pacers will be picking at #13 barring
some sort of deal, as has been projected all along. It is
my hope this pick will be used to bring in a PF with the
ability to be a good interior defender first and foremost,
and who would only need to concern himself with scoring
when in a "gimme" situation.

A PF I am now looking at that is projected as being there
at 13 is Gani Lawal from Georgia Tech.

Here is his line and recent scouting reports:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Gani-Lawal-1269/

and a brief YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhRwUZ7uVEY

He's very young, and very much a "work in progress", but
appears to be a good kid with great athleticism, and a
big upside.

What is your take on Gani Lawal? Can he be a good fit here,
and help bolster the Pacers' interior defensive presence?

MillerTime
05-20-2009, 10:32 AM
I think picking him at #13 will be too high for him. If we can swing a deal with someone to pick later (around mid 20's), then I like Lawal, but not at #13. From what Ive read, hes been improving a lot and he a good interior defender, but undersized

DrBadd01
05-20-2009, 10:37 AM
I would prefer Tyler Hansbrough.

CompACE
05-20-2009, 10:39 AM
I would prefer Tyler Hansbrough.

At 13?

Jonathan
05-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Jason Thompson was considered a stretch @ 12 last year. He did fine. Why not. I would love to acquire an early second round pick to acquire Tyler Hansbrough or Josh Heyvelt maybe even Jeff Pendergraph as a short term answer if they are available.

themayhem87
05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
with the situation the pacers are in financially and rumors of being moved there is no way they will take a chance on this kid. we will draft 1 of the 4 point guards that will be left on the board (between holiday, flynn, maynor, and lawson) and i think thats what we should do because i can see lawal being a total bust

DrBadd01
05-20-2009, 10:46 AM
At 13?

No. I think we trade down and then pick Hansbrough. He is more polished and demonstrates himself to be a real leader out their on the court. He would be a great fit with Danny and Roy.

DrFife
05-20-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm high on Gani.

(Wait. Did that come out right?)

He's too raw and undersized to reach for at #13, but he's intelligent, has a great motor, is a hard worker & student of the game off the court, enjoys the physical post game, and has great length and athleticism. In time I think he'll develop into a terrific back-up.

If we bring back Josh McRoberts, I don't see a need to spend a mid-to-late first-rounder on another developmental PF. However, if we do acquire an additional pick and select Gani, I'll get a box seat in his cheering section.