PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Upcoming Workouts

MillerTime
05-20-2009, 08:58 AM
The author for Gaffney is Mark Kamalsky.
Aboya: Jonathan Givony
Adrien: Rodger Bohn
Nevill: Mark Kamalsky
Pargo: Joseph Treutlein
All scouts for Draft Express.com

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-workouts.php?tid=9
May 20th

Tony Gaffney

Though Gaffney didn’t put up a terribly productive stat line today, he displayed some very interesting tools. Mostly known in college for his tremendous defensive presence and effort level, Gaffney wasn’t asked to do much scoring for UMass, making the most of the touches he earned coming from his hustle and ability to run the floor. While he has played well defensively in both of the games he’s played in, he showed some offensive promise that his collegiate role didn’t give him the opportunity to showcase. Looking beyond the box score, we came away intrigued with what we saw today.

A very athletic forward with a slender frame, Gaffney exploited his excellent quickness on a couple of occasions today, beating his defender off the dribble on three memorable occasions. Not usually prone to putting the ball on the floor, his ability to get to the rim was quite impressive. Once in the lane, Gaffney used quick fakes to get his man off balance before spinning over his left shoulder for hook shots. Considering his length and quickness, it is safe to say that Gaffney has a lot of potential if he continues to diversify his offensive game.

On the defensive end, Gaffney has shown great versatility, looking capable when defending the post and the perimeter. Though he will need to continue to add weight to his frame to be a better interior defender moving forward, he shows the timing, awareness, and effort level to be very effective in this setting. He may not be an NBA player, but he’s clearly helped himself here.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tony-Gaffney-5525/

Jeff Adrien

Adrien has played the part of undersized power forward for UCONN for seemingly forever now, nearly averaging a double double for three consecutive seasons now. While the production has remained constant, his skill set really hasn’t drastically changed over the last few seasons in terms of his NBA skill set.

The obstacles that Adrien has to overcome are his lack of ideal height (though he does have a very long wingspan), freakish athleticism, or an advanced skill set. He is still much more of a back to the basket player, lacking a consistent face-up jumper. When in the pivot though, very much favors his right hand and almost never opts to turn towards his left shoulder. In the occasions that he does choose to face the basket, he has shown a nice first step going right but is usually a bit out of control. Adrien is hitting around 41% of his jump-shots this season, up from 28% last season, but will very rarely take more than one or two attempts per-game. His free throw shooting has improved marginally, from 62 to 64% this year. He has also managed to cut down on his turnover rate substantially, which shows that his feel for the game (always considered a major weakness of his) is starting to improve.

Defensively, Adrien has no problems defending players who own more of a back to the basket game, such as DeJuan Blair. However, he struggles mightily when matched up against players who can face the basket, a la Sam Young, due to his poor lateral quickness. In terms of team defense though, Adrien rotates well and often finds himself in position to draw charges.

Adrien’s motor and tough play are going to be the two things that give him a chance of finding a place in the league. He is a ferocious rebounder, who is incredibly active on both ends of the floor. While it’s going to take some strong play in the tournament and workouts for Adrien to assure himself of being drafted, he should have an opportunity to make someone’s roster as a hustle player by the time training camp rolls around.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jeff-Adrien-1086/

Alfred Aboya

Deserving of a quick mention for the improvement he’s shown over the past few months, Alfred Aboya has been playing terrific basketball for UCLA as of late, and if anything is working himself into making some decent cash in Europe if things don’t work out with the NBA. Aboya has gone from being a complete non-factor offensively to showing some surprising sparks of scoring ability from time to time, improving his FG% and FT% substantially, while cutting down on his once sky-high personal foul and turnover rates.

Still a fairly limited player offensively, Aboya has proven to be a solid finisher around the basket and a surprisingly decent mid-range jump-shooter. He runs the floor well, is fairly athletic, and gets to the free throw line at a decent rate. He cannot put the ball on the floor or create his own shot with his back to the basket, but seems to understand that.

Defensively, Aboya isn’t much of a shot-blocker, but he’s pretty active and does a good job hedging screens. He is a very average rebounder, though, which basically nullifies any chance he might have of making the NBA considering his likely role, along with his average size (6-8) and the fact that he’s already 24 years old. We thought many of the same things about his teammate Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, though, and that hasn’t seemed to hurt him at all in the NBA.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Alfred-Aboya-5683/

June 11th

Luke Nevill

Luke Nevill is huge, and was an excellent finisher at the rim in the Mountain West, but his physical limitations may make it difficult for him to contribute in the NBA.

Nevill got almost 4 touches per game at the rim as a finisher and shot 81% on those attempts, good for first amongst all the players we looked at. Clearly, his size and touch were simply too imposing for many of the centers he matched up with. He also got 8.5 possessions per game on the block, almost 55.5% of his offense. He scored .95 PPP on his touches, good for second amongst centers, but just above the average of .94 for power forwards. The news is not all good on Nevill though, as his 1.1 possessions per game from offensive rebounds ranks him fifth amongst the players on our list, and considering his size, level of competition, and the fact that many of the players on our list aren’t legitimate prospects, that really is not a good sign. Nevill did get fouled on 19.6% of his half court possessions, the second most of any post player on our list. Nevill wouldn’t be anything more than a third center in the NBA, but his finishing ability and size may give him a chance to be drafted.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luke-Nevill-548/

June 19th

Jeremy Pargo

After a mixed showing in the Orlando pre-draft camp last year, Jeremy Pargo decided to return to school for his senior year, and the results thus far have also been fairly disappointing. While Pargo has raised his A:T ratio for the fourth time in four years, his scoring, assists and scoring efficiency are all down, while he’s struggled in virtually all the big games Gonzaga has played this year.

Looking at his scoring game, there’s a disturbing trend with Pargo over the past three seasons, as his efficiency has declined (TS% from 57% to 56% to 52%), which is likely a direct result of his slashing game becoming less of a priority. Pargo’s FTA/FGA ratio in 2007 was a very strong 0.49, but it’s dropped all the way to 0.27 this season, as Pargo is taking less advantage of his outstanding explosiveness and ability to go strong to the basket.

Pargo is still very much the same outstanding athlete with excellent ball-handling skills, capable of exploding off screens or quickly kicking it to fourth gear in transition, but we’re seeing this aspect of his game less and less. On the positive side, while Pargo has drawn contact less frequently, he has improved his finesse game in the lane, having a very nice right-handed floater and excellent body control, while also finally showing flashes of a left hand at times.

Pargo’s shooting has always been a cause for concern, and that remains the case this season, as he’s still shooting troubling numbers from both the free-throw line and the three-point line. It is worth noting that according to Synergy Sports Technology’s quantified statistics, Pargo takes more than twice as many jumpers off the dribble than spotting up, while he scores 1 PPP on the spot up shots and just 0.65 PPP on the pull up shots, so he’s capable of being a better shooter than the numbers indicate. Still, Pargo’s form is pretty loose with an unnecessary fade-away on most of his shots, with these problems being especially apparent when contested.

As a point guard, it’s very encouraging to see the trajectory of Pargo’s four year arc at Gonzaga, as all of his point guard metrics have steadily risen from nothing, when he averaged just 2 assists in 17 minutes as a freshman. Pargo’s improvement in A:T ratio can be attributed both to better decision-making in not forcing so many tough passes, but also in improving his ability to make those tough passes. His assists are down slightly this season, but it mostly stems from a slight decrease in minutes and less of a reliance on the pick-and-roll in Gonzaga’s offense.

Pargo’s decision-making is still a major area of concern at times, particularly in big-game situations, where he’s repeatedly come up flat this season. Pargo’s worst games have mostly been against the best competition he’s faced, particularly at the end of games where he has shown very little in the ways of the senior leadership his team desperately needed, often forcing bad shots or turning the ball over repeatedly. The biggest issue here is that that Gonzaga competes in the WCC, with one and a half of their games against the conference’s best team, St. Mary’s, coming without their star player Patrick Mills on the floor—meaning Pargo’s stats need to be taken with a grain of salt considering the level of competition.

Defensively, Pargo is still the same quick, strong, and aggressive point guard, playing in-your-face defense, never letting up, and sticking his hands in the passing lanes when the opportunity arises. He can be slow to react on direction changes at times, but overall, defense is definitely among his strengths.

Looking forward, Pargo will have the opportunity to play at the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament if he so chooses, where he could look to recover from his below expectations performance at Orlando last year as well as his underwhelming senior season. Pargo will be viewed as a potential second round pick, as his defense, athletic ability, and prowess with the pick-and-roll game projects him as a possible back-up point guard at the next level. The fact that he still isn’t much of a shooter or scorer and struggles with poor decision making and a low basketball IQ against noteworthy competition may render him undrafted, though.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jeremy-Pargo-1153/

MillerTime
05-20-2009, 09:05 AM
on May 20th, we looking at 3 PF/C. I hope the Pacers get a steal in the 2nd round, like Boozer or Milsap

Tom White
05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Where did those quotes come from? You should probably post a link.

pacerDU
05-20-2009, 01:03 PM
I would love to have Jeff Adrien on this roster. I'm glad the Pacers are taking a look.

Obviously he'd be our second rounder if we did take him, however I think we'd need an earlier pick to get him. Maybe we can trade down and get a lower first and an early 2nd...

OakMoses
05-20-2009, 01:18 PM
I'd be very excited to pick up Pargo in the 2nd round. He's a really solid all-around player. I think he'll ultimately be a solid backup PG in the NBA, somewhat in the Lindsey Hunter mold. He's not as quick, but he's a very good defender who can initiate an NBA offense.

Roaming Gnome
05-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Millertime, your link at the top of the OP is not working... Please fix this before it has to be taken down.

Edit: This has been taken care of with thanks to Keester99 for doing the leg work.

OakMoses
05-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Gaffney sounds really intriguing. A bit of a tweener 3/4 who is said to have solid defensive skills both in the post and on the perimeter. He sounds a bit like Mbah a Moute.

kester99
05-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Here you go, millertime...you can paste these up there if you want. Might be a good idea, per Gnome.

The author for Gaffney is Mark Kamalsky.
Aboya: Jonathan Givony
Adrien: Rodger Bohn
Nevill: Mark Kamalsky
Pargo: Joseph Treutlein

All scouts for Draft Express.com

Naptown_Seth
05-20-2009, 02:08 PM
I'd be very excited to pick up Pargo in the 2nd round. He's a really solid all-around player. I think he'll ultimately be a solid backup PG in the NBA, somewhat in the Lindsey Hunter mold. He's not as quick, but he's a very good defender who can initiate an NBA offense.
I agree. He was the guy making things happen for Gonzaga. Some guys have nice looking game, other guys just find their way to the heart of every single play somehow. Pargo is more of the latter which is what I like about him.

Adrien is also a good team player style of PF and would make a pretty solid 2nd round pick depending on what they acquire in round 1.

Of course both of these might be Bird decoys, it's hard to be sure. I'm not really sure Pargo would get out of the first round, let alone to the Pacers 2nd round pick.

count55
05-20-2009, 02:13 PM
There's a decent chance the Pacers will have trouble getting some of the better prospects to come work out for them because they'll fall in the "dead zone", and players won't think they'll fall all the way down to 13...Guys like Evans and perhaps Holliday.

d_c
05-20-2009, 03:33 PM
on May 20th, we looking at 3 PF/C. I hope the Pacers get a steal in the 2nd round, like Boozer or Milsap

That's what every team picking in the 2nd round hopes for.

The Warriors were hoping for the same thing when they took Richard Hendrix in the 2nd round last year. Everyone was hoping for a Milsap redux. Unfortunately, he wasn't good enough to even make the team and got cut. He spent the entire year in DLeague and never got picked up by an NBA team.

Guys like Milsap are what everyone wants in the 2nd round. They're just really hard to find and really only come by once in awhile. Of course that's not to say you shouldn't try to find one of these guys, just that you should temper your expectations of finding one.

MillerTime
05-20-2009, 08:29 PM
I really hope the Pacers can pick someone like Henderson at #13, if not T-Will will also be nice!

Theres no really good PGs or PF that will be available at #13, unless someone falls into our hands like Granger did

pwee31
05-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Budinger and Sam young worked out today

Trophy
05-21-2009, 06:44 PM
I liked what they all said. All of them are thinking positive and also them thinking of how they can fit in with us if we were to take them.

Chase Budinger reminds me of Dun in some ways.

I also like Ahmad Nivins. He seems like a very aggressive kind of big defender that we need.

NapTonius Monk
05-21-2009, 09:02 PM

Dude, did you see that injury on Sam Young's arm? He said he had to walk himself to the hospital, and that the pole was in his arm for an hour! How tough is this guy!?!?! Get Sam Young on this team!

pwee31
05-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Dude, did you see that injury on Sam Young's arm? He said he had to walk himself to the hospital, and that the pole was in his arm for an hour! How tough is this guy!?!?! Get Sam Young on this team!

Yeah that was crazy. Nice little gash he had there

IndyProdigy
05-22-2009, 02:14 AM
its apparent that we are addressing something HUGE with these workouts...and its DEFENSE. and i LOVE it. i really think that demarre carroll has the same style of play as ron artest. im not saying is is/will be ron artest, but he plays great on ball D, tenacity, and he hustles. would love to have him on the squad

IndyProdigy
05-22-2009, 02:26 AM
id like to see us work out earl clark, terrence williams, dionte christmas, jeff pendergraph, and dante cunningham

MillerTime
05-22-2009, 02:58 AM
its apparent that we are addressing something HUGE with these workouts...and its DEFENSE. and i LOVE it. i really think that demarre carroll has the same style of play as ron artest. im not saying is is/will be ron artest, but he plays great on ball D, tenacity, and he hustles. would love to have him on the squad

I dont know if his defence is as good as you claim. Ive never seen Carroll play but I just read about him:

Carroll might have trouble defensively at the next level, as he may have to defend small forwards at times rather than post players, as he does now. His lateral quickness is only average and despite the fact that he has improved this year, he still does not look capable of staying with the NBA’s elite wing players. His awareness doesn’t look that improved, either, and he still gives guards and wings open shots far too often. This might be the area in which he will have to impress scouts most, as many of the players in his mold have thrived in the NBA based on their defensive prowess.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeMarre-Carroll-5069/

Justin Tyme
05-22-2009, 04:24 AM
I walked into the family room when Budinger was on the tv news. He stated he liked the Pacers and thought he could contribute to the Pacers team if they drafted him. Then O'Brien stated he liked all the players that was in for the workout. My 1st thought was how PC.

I'm not as opposed to drafting Chase Budinger as some seem to be, but not with the #13 pick. I'd love to see Bird get another pick at 18 to 23, but I'm not expecting him to get it done.

MyFavMartin
05-22-2009, 06:56 AM
From what I read Nivins seems impressive. Anybody know anything about him? Seen him play?

Kegboy
05-22-2009, 10:36 AM

:vaderno:

Kegboy
05-22-2009, 10:43 AM

:ohyeah:

pianoman
05-22-2009, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we drafter Sam Young. He seems like the type of player LB is looking for. He's a really tough kid, with defensive abilities that this team could use.

Major Cold
05-22-2009, 11:31 AM
I like Young as well. He is a Posey/Pietrus type player. He is more 2/3 than 3/4 IMO. He is turnover prone, but efficient from the field. He could be the only sure lock-down defender outside TWill. I think he would flourish with the Spurs. If we were to draft him I would expect Granger playing the 4 before Young. Against teams like the Suns I have no problem with that. But with teams like the Cavs I do (Varejao).

avoidingtheclowns
05-22-2009, 12:22 PM
I like Young as well. He is a Posey/Pietrus type player. He is more 2/3 than 3/4 IMO. He is turnover prone, but efficient from the field. He could be the only sure lock-down defender outside TWill. I think he would flourish with the Spurs. If we were to draft him I would expect Granger playing the 4 before Young. Against teams like the Suns I have no problem with that. But with teams like the Cavs I do (Varejao).

I'm really not sure I'd say he's a 2/3 - he just doesn't have the ball handling skills. I think despite being 6'6" he's strong enough to defend PFs in the paint. He rebounds well and could have a bit of Chuck Hayes in him. But he has a nice shot and is a nice perimeter defender. I'd approve of drafting him as long as it's after #13.

Major Cold
05-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Oh yeah after 13, unless he climbs like Rush did last year.

Trophy
05-22-2009, 03:42 PM
:ohyeah:

Bills much?

I'm happy Budinger is getting a chance to show our coaching staff what he can do. He even said if there's a team that would be best for him it's with us.

Trophy
05-22-2009, 03:44 PM
From what I read Nivins seems impressive. Anybody know anything about him? Seen him play?

From what I read about him, he seems like the type of guy we need. He defends the post and is a tall PF.

MyFavMartin
05-23-2009, 07:27 PM
From what I read about him, he seems like the type of guy we need. He defends the post and is a tall PF.

So why's he not even in 2nd round mocks?

Trophy
05-24-2009, 01:03 PM
So why's he not even in 2nd round mocks?

He should be. I'd be happy if we took him in the second round.