PDA

View Full Version : OT - Computer weirdness

Anthem
07-03-2004, 12:57 PM
So I'm really psyched.... I just bought a barebones SN41G2 Shuttle XPC.

http://www.gamepc.com/images/labs/rev-sn41g2-frontpageSMb.jpg

That's almost actual size.

The problem is, freaking windows xp is giving me fits. I put in my hard drive (used yesterday in a previous PC) that was set to dual-boot between Windows XP and Suse 9.1 Pro. Windows gave me a "Does not recognize filessytem," while Suse chewed on it a while and finally booted up.

I thought, "Obviously, too many things have changed... CPU, RAM, chipset, video. Time for a fresh install." I boot from the Windows CD, wipe the HD, create a partition, copy the files, and then it reboots. Once that happens, though, it just says "Error loading operating system."

Anybody have a clue?

skyfire
07-03-2004, 01:08 PM
I've had some experiences when installing WinXP where it seems to die halfway through installation and then gives that error message. If you re-install it again, hopefully it will work the 2nd time. A very annoying side effect is that the failed installation leave an errant record in the boot loader so, it asks me which version of WinXP i'd like to boot every time i turn my pc on.

Anthem
07-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Yeah, I killed the boot loader with fidisk /MBR and now I'm reformatting the HD with a low-level format. We'll see what happens.

I'm REALLY excited about this PC (I'm such a geek). I'm using a floppy, HD, and CD-RW that I already owned, but I bought the rest of the package for $400. You can't beat that for a brand-new PC.

Athlon XP 2400+, nForce 2 (gForce 4 chipset) audio and video. This shuttle supports two displays at once, plus a TV-Out. And it's TINY!

So cool.

able
07-03-2004, 01:41 PM
well i do sincerely hope you are not low-levelformatting an IDE disk, because if you try to do that, you can throw it away, ti would take em some time to explain why but let's suffice to say that in order to get the amount of space IDE gives you they use a math conversion on the real number of cylinders, if you low-level format, these conversions dissapear, you have an unusable disk on your hand.

On the other hand if is is scsi then there is no problem.
and on the other hand if you mean by low-level that you are running fdisk then again, no worry, that aint low level :)

As for XP: if not installed on the system itself, it will most of the times give some pain, but still boot (you will have to re-register).
The error you mention is a corrupt boot-sector, Norton Disk Doctor would've solved that.
On the other hand if you did low-lelve format the disk, then this is one of the possible results.

let me know how you get on.

Bball
07-03-2004, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I killed the boot loader with fidisk /MBR and now I'm reformatting the HD with a low-level format. We'll see what happens.

I'm REALLY excited about this PC (I'm such a geek). I'm using a floppy, HD, and CD-RW that I already owned, but I bought the rest of the package for $400. You can't beat that for a brand-new PC.

Athlon XP 2400+, nForce 2 (gForce 4 chipset) audio and video. This shuttle supports two displays at once, plus a TV-Out. And it's TINY!

So cool.

All that and it doesn't work....

Reminds me of a cuckoo clock my Grandmother had. She said it was a good old clock except that it didn't keep time very well.... :laugh:

;)

Good luck on getting it to work. Sounds like it will be nice when you get it happening.

-BBall

Anthem
07-04-2004, 11:30 PM
All that and it doesn't work....

Reminds me of a cuckoo clock my Grandmother had. She said it was a good old clock except that it didn't keep time very well.... :laugh:

Well, the PC itself works fine. Its Windows that doesn't work. Evidently Windows won't work on this BIOS with a HD of larger than 40gig. Screw that.

Instead, I installed SuSe Linux 9.1 Pro. This is a great operating system. The only thing that was keeping me on Windows was my big stack of Windows gaming titles, and I've been running them under a DirectX emulator (WineX) in Linux. So far they've all run flawlessly, although I've noticed a slight performance hit in one.

Pyschologically, it's nice to have a Microsoft-free PC. I had already been using Linux (Fedora) for my web PC, but my primary computer had been a MS machine for a while.