PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NBA Playoffs - WCF: (1) L.A. Lakers vs. (2) Denver

Shade
05-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Woo, I managed to predict both conference finals series'!

Anyway, I originally picked the Lakers in 6, with the caveat that I believed the Nuggets could beat the Lakers. I believe the Nuggets are the better team here, but I always fear a Lakers team with home court advantage in the playoffs. Y'all can decipher what you wish from that comment.

I'm going to semi-cheat and revise my prediction a little bit here:

If the series is officiated evenly, Nuggets in 6.

If not, then Lakers in 7.

count55
05-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Lakers in 5

Unclebuck
05-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Lakers will win this series in 5 or 6

Major Cold
05-18-2009, 10:12 AM
I think Billups proves he is a Hall of Famer this series. Denver in 6.

Justin Tyme
05-18-2009, 11:28 AM
DENVER!

I despise the Lakers.

PacersRule
05-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Denver in 7.

CableKC
05-18-2009, 11:43 AM
LAL in 7 ( cuz of poor officiating ) and their inability to win on the road against really good teams.

JayRedd
05-18-2009, 01:00 PM
LA in 6.

Los Angeles
05-18-2009, 01:39 PM
I hate the Lakers with every single ounce of my being.

So I will be rooting for Denver. Begrudgingly. I don't particularly care for them either.

Hicks
05-18-2009, 02:49 PM
I think this should be a very good series, but the Lakers must be considered the favorites.

grace
05-18-2009, 02:52 PM
If LA doesn't get its head out of its :censored: I don't think they're the favorites. Even if they do play well it wouldn't surprise me if Denver wins the series. However, I doubt I'll be interested enough to watch.

Jon Theodore
05-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Lakers absolutely will not win a game in Denver. Lakers win when they score a lot, Denver will out run any team in the league at their home court.

GO!!!!!
05-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Lakers in Seven...

vnzla81
05-18-2009, 06:15 PM
I hope the Nuggets kill the Lakers, I call this one for the Nuggets on 6 games.

xtacy
05-19-2009, 03:45 AM
DENVER IN 6!

i hope the refs don't screw this series up.

Brad8888
05-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Chauncey B-B-B-B-B-Billups, Melo, and Karl vs. Kobe, Phil, and Stern. Could be interesting. Does Stern believe that the Nuggets are marketable for the Finals or not? Will Phil be riding his motorcycle into retirement again due to no longer having a fire in his belly after a disappointing loss?

Hopefully, Denver in 6. Realistically, Lakers in 7.

JB24
05-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Has anyone seen this? Game 4 of the series and some wwe event fall on the same night at the Pepsi Center.

Link (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jaCBXUD22nYaIvWf9h8Bf-GexzWAD988TILG0)

Shade
05-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Has anyone seen this? Game 4 of the series and some wwe event fall on the same night at the Pepsi Center.

Link (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jaCBXUD22nYaIvWf9h8Bf-GexzWAD988TILG0)

Just have the wrestlers wear Nuggets and Lakers uniforms. With the current state of things in the NBA, few will be able to tell the difference.

idioteque
05-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Just have the wrestlers wear Nuggets and Lakers uniforms. With the current state of things in the NBA, few will be able to tell the difference.

:laugh:

Jonathan
05-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Say what you want about pro wrestling but it is ran by a great businessman, Vince Mcmahon, the guy is one of the best promoters in the world. I think he will call for a Mark Cuban and Mystery Tag Team Partner vs Kenyon Martin and his mother in a steel cage match.

I believe 100% the WWE will show up. I would bet money on the fact Monday Night Raw has hire cable televison ratings ratings than TNT Basketball.

naptownmenace
05-19-2009, 03:23 PM
I believe 100% the WWE will show up. I would bet money on the fact Monday Night Raw has hire cable televison ratings ratings than TNT Basketball.

I should've bet you money because you're wrong.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/232177-NBA_Playoffs_Coverage_Leads_TNT_To_Weekly_Primetim e_Ratings_Win.php

Combined, ESPN and TNT's NBA playoff telecasts accounted for six of the top 10 most-watched shows for the week, with two iCarly episodes and USA's twin May 4 WWE Monday Night Raw pro wrestling telecasts taking the other four slots, according to Nielsen.

Will Galen
05-19-2009, 06:41 PM

"The NBA, which sets the playoff schedule, is leaving it to the Nuggets and the WWE to work out the dispute."

The NBA is at fault unless it has rules that teams arena's have to be free for playoff games. Otherwise the way I see it the arena is already booked.

duke dynamite
05-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Why am I watching this?

VF21
05-19-2009, 10:19 PM
I would just like to remark that as much as I love the game of basketball, I hate the LA Lakers.

And since I would like to make that remark, I'm going to go ahead and do so formally...

I hate the freaking LA Lakers.

End of transmission...

Slick Pinkham
05-19-2009, 11:19 PM
go ABA survivors, go Nuggets (despite having K-Mart)

cinotimz
05-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Nuggets in 6

PostArtestEra
05-19-2009, 11:47 PM
If the Lakers win this game, they need to thank the refs. Seriously, I don't even understand who fouled Kobe on that play. That should have been a break away basket for Denver.

carpediem024
05-20-2009, 12:29 AM
If the Lakers win this game, they need to thank the refs. Seriously, I don't even understand who fouled Kobe on that play. That should have been a break away basket for Denver.

Which play are you talking about? Is it the one when Martin reached?
- That's a foul.

As far as officiating, the calls have been going Denver's way all night. Lakers got some down the stretch but I don't even understand how you can complain. They shot at least 10 more free throws...

Anyways great game. For a Laker fan at least...

Mr_Smith
05-20-2009, 12:41 AM
That was a close one. I know David Stern was starting to get concerned. Since the lakers pulled it out he can sleep at night

PacersRule
05-20-2009, 12:47 AM
So close!!....

Los Angeles
05-20-2009, 01:13 AM
I was ready to ***** and moan about ticky-tacky fouls on whoever was near Kobe, but then I saw the blown inbounds at the end of the game. No team who blows that play at the end of regulation in such a close game deserves to win.

PostArtestEra
05-20-2009, 01:27 AM
I was ready to ***** and moan about ticky-tacky fouls on whoever was near Kobe, but then I saw the blown inbounds at the end of the game. No team who blows that play at the end of regulation in such a close game deserves to win.

You are absolutely right. That inbounds play was atrocious at best. However, I still feel that the Lakers got all the calls down the stretch. Gasol got two free throws after being packed by K-mart. I know they called the foul on Nene, but Nene didn't appear to even be involved with the play at that point. And yeah, I saw that he and Gasol were locked up earlier on the play. Also, Martin didn't foul Kobe on that poke away, at least in my opinion. Not to mention, Kobe just about ripped off Smith's arm on that final rebound. But whatever, I'm want the Nuggets to win the series, so I'm sure I'm not being fair. Hell, the officials somehow missed Billups clearly stepping out of bounds, despite the fact that there was a ret standing right f'ing there. Seriously, what else does he have to watch for when a player takes a step back corner three. Long story short, I just hate NBA officiating. I'll bet anyone that this series will go seven games. The finals will too, by the way.

Unclebuck
05-20-2009, 07:54 AM
That vwas a very enjoyable game to watch - I really don't care who wins, but if we have 7 games like that I'll be very, very happy.

Certain matchups are just better than others. Celts vs Bulls was great. Celts and Magic even though it also went 7 games, just wasn't as much fun to watch

PostArtestEra
05-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Which play are you talking about? Is it the one when Martin reached?
- That's a foul.

As far as officiating, the calls have been going Denver's way all night. Lakers got some down the stretch but I don't even understand how you can complain. They shot at least 10 more free throws...

Anyways great game. For a Laker fan at least...

Brooks (Chapel Hill, NC): Watching the LA-Denver game last night, the touch foul that gave Kobe those two free throws really pissed me off. I've watched some great hockey games in past few weeks - couldn't the NBA throw me a bone and let the players decide the outcome? (pre-horrendous outlet pass of course)

http://a.espncdn.com/i/sn2.gif Bill Simmons: Um, which touch foul? The Lakers got every call in the last 5 minutes. Could you narrow it down for me?

I have been vindicated by the all knowing Bill Simmons. I can sleep easy tonight. In case you're wondering, no, I am not Brooks from NC.

Shade
05-20-2009, 09:16 PM
The Nuggets lost because they gave up way too many offensive boards and missed way too many free throws. Fix even one of those things and they win.

carpediem024
05-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Well if that "touch foul" pissed them off, it's too bad. It was a foul. The refs were blowing calls the whole game in favor of Denver. They just blew their heads and they brought that loss upon themselves, not the referees.

rexnom
05-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Well if that "touch foul" pissed them off, it's too bad. It was a foul. The refs were blowing calls the whole game in favor of Denver. They just blew their heads and they brought that loss upon themselves, not the referees.
I thought the game was being called nicely up until the last minute. I don't get it. Why call it differently? Yeah, the game was a bit chippy but that's not reason to bail Kobe out every time he went to the hoop at the end.

MrSparko
05-21-2009, 12:48 AM
So the best player on each team left in these playoffs played on the Olympics team. So much for tired legs ruining them.

rexnom
05-21-2009, 01:10 AM
So the best player on each team left in these playoffs played on the Olympics team. So much for tired legs ruining them.
I would go as far as to say that the opposite occurred - that being in the Olympics helped them gear up for the NBA season.

Unclebuck
05-21-2009, 09:18 AM
This is impressive: game 1 was the most-viewed basketball game ver on ESPN college or pro

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/20/nuggetslakers-game-1-%e2%80%93-espn%e2%80%99s-most-viewed-basketball-telecast-ever/19212

naptownmenace
05-21-2009, 02:44 PM
WWE is moving their event to Los Angeles while the Lakers play the Nuggets.

http://www.nba.com/2009/playoffs2009/05/20/nuggets.wwe.ap/index.html

LG33
05-21-2009, 11:33 PM
These ****ing refs...

rexnom
05-21-2009, 11:41 PM
That was an insane three by Kobe. Did anyone doubt that that was going to go in?

rexnom
05-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Kobe Bryant. No matter how many times I see that, I never cease to be amazed. Holy ****.

LG33
05-21-2009, 11:51 PM
I sometimes wonder if the player guarding him knows he's going to shoot it as much as we do.

Mr_Smith
05-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Nuggets win!!!!.....Stern is on the phone right now with the refs trying to figure out what the hell happened and ways for this not to ever happen again.

carpediem024
05-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Nuggets win!!!!.....Stern is on the phone right now with the refs trying to figure out what the hell happened and ways for this not to ever happen again.

Or he is preaching the refs so this series could last seven games; more money for him. Because they miss things that are so obvious. What the hell J.R. Smith was doing? I actually laughed but its amazing how they missed that.

Freaking Kobe's shots were ridiculous, too bad it was a loss. Its weird how identical this game was to game one but the other way around. It should be fun to watch in Denver!

Suaveness
05-22-2009, 12:42 AM
A little bias, there

Los Angeles
05-22-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm at a trial in Seattle and one of the experts just bet me $5 that the Lakers would win in 6. If it goes to 7 or if Denver takes the series, I'm gonna buy me a sixer of PBR!

carpediem024
05-22-2009, 01:03 AM
A little bias, there

Every fan can be biased. Some less some more. But how can I not complain about that violation on J.R. Smith. He sprinted across the court before the ball was tipped. Granted Ariza made a mistake, but the outcome of the game could have been different if the refs didn't miss that one. Should have been ball to the sideline.

Unclebuck
05-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Every fan can be biased. Some less some more. But how can I not complain about that violation on J.R. Smith. He sprinted across the court before the ball was tipped. Granted Ariza made a mistake, but the outcome of the game could have been different if the refs didn't miss that one. Should have been ball to the sideline.

Yes it was a violation, but it had nothing to do with the Nuggets geting the ball - the Lakers had it and lost it - Lakers fault. IMo no reason to make the call - it had no impact on the play

Justin Tyme
05-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Everyone keeps talking about Kobe and Lakers w/o mentioning the Nugs are giving the Lakers all they can handle and could have been up 2-0. They way the Nugs climbed back in the game after being down by 14 with Kleiza in the game made me wonder if Karl was not making a mistake by not playing him the last 5 or so minutes of the game. They won so no 2nd guessing of Karl's decision.

The way Kleiza played is the exact reason the Nugs have not traded him. Nice player who scored 16 points, garnered 8 rebounds, and no TO's in less than 22 minutes of PT. Played some nice "D" as well.

PacersRule
05-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Hey Phil, GET A GOOD PG!!

Major Cold
05-22-2009, 12:16 PM
:jamaaltinsley::signit:

Los Angeles
05-22-2009, 12:30 PM

I have faith in Farmar. That kid's going to be great one day.

Since86
05-22-2009, 12:53 PM

No it shouldn't have, because the refs didn't call Kobe for an obvious traveling violation just 5secs before the jump ball. If you want to start talking about missed calls, that is, then it should have been Denver's ball sideout because there wouldn't have ever been a jumpball, if they would have actually followed the rules of the game.

The announcers even commented on the no call.

Los Angeles
05-22-2009, 01:24 PM
I may have missed this on another page, so if I'm repeating another poster, I apologize.

My favorite play of the entire playoffs happened at the end of the half of game 2. Chauncey inbounding the ball off of Kobe's back - not his leg, not his butt, right off the numbers on his BACK!!! :lol2: And then hitting the layup.

Oh man, that makes me smile just thinking about it now.

Justin Tyme
05-22-2009, 01:43 PM
I may have missed this on another page, so if I'm repeating another poster, I apologize.

My favorite play of the entire playoffs happened at the end of the half of game 2. Chauncey inbounding the ball off of Kobe's back - not his leg, not his butt, right off the numbers on his BACK!!! :lol2: And then hitting the layup.

Oh man, that makes me smile just thinking about it now.

Yep, not turning your back on the in bounding passer under the basket is taught in BB101. It's hard to be upset with others thru out the game and then lay an egg like that.

If the Nugs win the WCF, this should be replayed over and over like Bird's steal against the Pistons.

Now, who got the better of the Nuggets/Pistons trade this season!?!?

LG33
05-22-2009, 01:53 PM
I have faith in Farmar. That kid's going to be great one day.

I agree, although I am a bit concerned about the lack of progress this year.

Young
05-22-2009, 02:48 PM
I have several thoughts.

One is you can't rely on refs to make the right call every time. Yes JR Smith had a violation but does anyone really think that decided that the came? Does anyone really think they missed some calls where the Nuggets would have had the ball early on? Those have an impact on the game too.

Another thought is I don't like Kenyon Martin.

Here is a thought about Kobe. Has there ever been anyone more clutch than Kobe? I didn't watch it back when Michael Jordan played but Kobe is the best clutch player I have ever seen. Game after game he hits big shots. I am not talking about game winners either I am talking about those shots that keep his team in the game. It amazers me what he does.

Another thing is if there was ever any doubt about Chauncey Billups being one of the best point guards in the league there should be no more. Not only did he turn around the Denver Nuggets but he is the reason they have gone as far as they have in the playoffs and could make the NBA Finals. It's easy to talk about Billups now that his team is in the Conference Finals but he really deserves a lot more credit. Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, etc get all of the attention but it has been Billups who has played in the Conference Finals.

rexnom
05-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Why are the refs trying to nip the physical play in the bud? What the hell? Let em play!

rexnom
05-23-2009, 10:38 PM
T for taunting? What is this crap?!

Kemo
05-23-2009, 10:40 PM
how the hell they gonna give a technical to jr smith for talkin smack after hittin that buzzer beater 3 ?

These refs are tech happy I tell ya ..

nba is so p*ssified anymore... tis the reason youll see very few true rivalries anymore like in the 80's , early 90's

Fireball Kid
05-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Very good game.

rexnom
05-23-2009, 11:02 PM
I will be shocked if Odom is a Laker next year.

rexnom
05-23-2009, 11:05 PM
What an awful, awful call on Billups for the 4pt play.

Aw Heck
05-23-2009, 11:23 PM
How can the Nuggets make it this far and be so abysmal at inbounding the ball?

vnzla81
05-23-2009, 11:26 PM
how can a team make so many mistakes? that was stupid :confused:

DrBadd01
05-23-2009, 11:36 PM
how can a team make so many mistakes? that was stupid :confused:

Don't know. But the Nuggets should definitely have learned from the game one mistake. Hopefully they learn from in this time. On another topic is anybody besides me sick of Kobe and Lebron. the Nike and Vitamin Water ads, the constant praise they get from the crews of TNT and ESPN, The hour long infomercial on their greatness that was aired before Game one of the Eastern conference finals on ESPN. I know it may be the NBA's dream to have a Kobe versus Lebron NBA finals match up but it makes me sick to my stomach. I will boycott a Kobe/Lebron finals. . .

count55
05-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Game threes are killers. It's where you find out whether stealing the road win in the first two was a fluke, or a death blow.

I expected the Lakers to pull this one out...now we'll see with Cleveland. It's dicier with them because LeBron's supporting cast is probably the worst I've seen...ever.

rexnom
05-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Game threes are killers. It's where you find out whether stealing the road win in the first two was a fluke, or a death blow.

I expected the Lakers to pull this one out...now we'll see with Cleveland. It's dicier with them because LeBron's supporting cast is probably the worst I've seen...ever.
Oh come on. He's got shooters, he's got Z and Andy Varejao, he's got all-star Mo Williams (who was HUGE in game 2). It's not pretty but it's not the worst supporting cast ever.

MrSparko
05-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Yea the worst was Lebron's last team in the finals.

count55
05-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Oh come on. He's got shooters, he's got Z and Andy Varejao, he's got all-star Mo Williams (who was HUGE in game 2). It's not pretty but it's not the worst supporting cast ever.

To reach the conference finals? The only ones I can think of that come close would be the Philly teams with Iverson and the Cleveland team from a couple of years ago.

Z and V are solid nothing more, and the last team that Mo Williams was the second best player for was 26-56.

It's a pretty bad supporting cast. It's as bad as I've ever seen to go this deep.

OK...now that I think of it, the Moses' supporting cast on the '80 Rockets was probably worse, but that's about it.

Major Cold
05-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Kenyon Martin inbouding the ball? Just stupid. Coach you need to put your best passer.

I think you realize why you put a man on the inbounder. It takes velocity off the ball and is harder to lead a shooter.

carpediem024
05-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Don't know. But the Nuggets should definitely have learned from the game one mistake. Hopefully they learn from in this time. On another topic is anybody besides me sick of Kobe and Lebron. the Nike and Vitamin Water ads, the constant praise they get from the crews of TNT and ESPN, The hour long infomercial on their greatness that was aired before Game one of the Eastern conference finals on ESPN. I know it may be the NBA's dream to have a Kobe versus Lebron NBA finals match up but it makes me sick to my stomach. I will boycott a Kobe/Lebron finals. . .

Good luck with that! :buddies:

Kemo
05-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Denver has a 13 pt lead here in the 3rd ..

I really like this Nuggets team ..

Birdman is quickly becoming my favorite bigman to watch.. He's awesome ..
I absolutely love his defense, blocking and his court awareness..

I think Denver will pull a Win tonight to even the series at 2-2...
Boy I HATE the Lakers...

Never have liked them..... Even in the Bird/Magic days , they were my rival team , since Boston was my absolute favorite team growing up watching Bird, The Chief, McHale, DJ , Reggie Lewis and the rest of the guys throughout the early 80's to early 90's ..

I hope the Lakers get made humble and lose in this series.... I don't wanna even see them make it to the finals..even if they lose that..

Kemo
05-25-2009, 11:49 PM
WTF is up with these refs??!?!?!

how was that a tech against Anthony . for what?? giving kobe a pat on the chest after the foul?
THAT is straight up ... RIDICULOUS
The guys are friends, it was a pat like a friend would do to another

The refs are pulling out everything tonight to protect the point spread....

*rolls eyes*

.Not saying they do that , but damn, it's calls like these that make you wonder to yourself WTF?... while scanning the crowd for Tim Donaghey in the back of your mind ..
LMAO ..

CableKC
05-26-2009, 12:16 AM
I've said it before....but the Lakers are a mentally weak team that doesn't have that mentality to consistently win games on the road.

The Nene/Birdman/KMart frontcourt is killing the Lakers. They have to figure out a way to keep the Birdman. On top of that......they have a solid and consistent contributions from everyone outside of Carmelo. It's more like the Nuggets ( the Team as a "whole" ) are playing against the Kobe's ( with support Gasol and inconsistent support from whoever is streaky enough to score ).

One last thing.....I would love to somehow get KMart.....but that Technical foul on Gasol where he wouldn't let go of his arm....is plain stupid.

carpediem024
05-26-2009, 01:44 AM
Tough game for the Lakers. Game 5 in STAPLES. I'm going with my Lakers. What do you think?

Edit: Also, what do you guys think about Dahntay Jones' unnecessary shove on Game 3, and his "inadvertent" trip on Kobe. Also Kobe was asked if he was being played dirty by Jones; responded by saying that it was good defense. What does this really mean.

Kuq_e_Zi91
05-26-2009, 02:01 AM
Tough game for the Lakers. Game 5 in STAPLES. I'm going with my Lakers. What do you think?

Edit: Also, what do you guys think about Dahntay Jones' unnecessary shove on Game 3, and his "inadvertent" trip on Kobe. Also Kobe was asked if he was being played dirty by Jones; responded by saying that it was good defense. What does this really mean.

I agree. Lakers should come out focused at home in Game 5. Kobe will make sure his teammates understand the importance of coming out to play with some energy and determination.

The trip was definitely not "inadvertent." The shove I don't mind as much because he was stopping an easy layup and it was called appropriately, but there's just no place for that blatant trip in basketball. This isn't soccer. I respect Kobe for how he handled it though. He took the high road instead of the Mo Williams/LeBron "that was definitely a cheap shot/ref they're trying to hurt me" response. I have seen Kobe mention many times that he's an "80s baby" so he's used to seeing all the physical contact from the old days of the NBA and how much he enjoys it. I'd look for a big game from him in Game 5.

kester99
05-26-2009, 02:48 AM
120 points for Denver. Doug Moe, Alex English, and Kiki Vandeweigh should be proud.

Hicks
05-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Kobe shoved a Nugget (can't recall who; maybe Jones?) to the floor with two hands in game two. To my amazement, neither the refs, announcers, or other Nuggets seemed to notice. I guess since it happened along the baseline as the possession was changing. Kobe shouldn't complain.

Shade
05-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Really hard for me to tell if that trip was blatant or not. I could see it either way.

I think the W-L-W pattern is going to repeat throughout the rest of the series, leading to the Lakers taking the series in 7. :sigh:

carpediem024
05-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Really hard for me to tell if that trip was blatant or not. I could see it either way.

I think the W-L-W pattern is going to repeat throughout the rest of the series, leading to the Lakers taking the series in 7. :sigh:

I was unsure at first as well. But when I saw it in a different angle, it definitely looked like he tripped him on purpose. I expect LA to win tomorrow, and just hoping that they can finally show some killer instinct and prevent this series from going to seven.

LG33
05-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Go Thuggets!

LG33
05-27-2009, 09:33 PM
That's a ridiculously bad foul call against Denver.

LG33
05-27-2009, 09:36 PM
By the way, you've got to be really impressed with Birdman's D.

LG33
05-27-2009, 11:12 PM
And really depressed by Karl's coaching and/or Denver's decision-making.

Kemo
05-27-2009, 11:32 PM
what the hell was that?!?!?!?

Must be nice to just run into someone to get a foul..

That foul Gasol drew from Nene was ignorant... it SHOULDA been a charge... instead of Nene's 6th ..

I absolutely HATE the over abundance of stupid , ignorant fouls refs call on everything... Especially all the technicals.. They are so tech happy it isn't even funny ...

This isn't basketball...

sad... just sad ...

LG33
05-27-2009, 11:35 PM
The foul that would upset me the most, as a Nuggets fan, would be the third foul called on Chauncey Billups (a charge) in the first half. It forced him to the bench and he hasn't gotten into the game at all.

Coop
05-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Flopping isn't basketball either. Nene should have just played him tough instead of bouncing off Pau like that. He tried to get bailed out and it backfired.

Coop
05-27-2009, 11:37 PM
BTW, I do think there are some bad calls/no-calls going against Denver tonight. I just wouldn't point out the one against Nene if I was going to choose one.

LG33
05-27-2009, 11:43 PM
After watching this entire game start to finish, I think the Nuggets can only blame themselves for the loss...Billups in particular (he was abso*******lutely terrible). It's a shame really.

Speaking of - Eight posts (from just 3 posters) for Game 5 of the Western Conference Finals? For shame Pacers Digest. I hope everyone was just glued to their television sets or bar stools for this one.

Kemo
05-28-2009, 12:33 AM
BTW, I do think there are some bad calls/no-calls going against Denver tonight. I just wouldn't point out the one against Nene if I was going to choose one.

Right , I agree... It's just .. that call just so happened to be the one that JUST occured before I has posted about it ...

SoupIsGood
05-28-2009, 02:51 AM
After watching this entire game start to finish, I think the Nuggets can only blame themselves for the loss...Billups in particular (he was abso*******lutely terrible). It's a shame really.

Speaking of - Eight posts (from just 3 posters) for Game 5 of the Western Conference Finals? For shame Pacers Digest. I hope everyone was just glued to their television sets or bar stools for this one.

bar stool, for me!

Unclebuck
05-28-2009, 08:34 AM
If every game was officiated like last nights game #5 - I'd be very happy. They let them play - didn't call any cheap flagrants or technicals

Shade
05-28-2009, 10:21 AM

I didn't bother watching because I knew the Lakers would win. This whole playoffs has turned anti-climatic to me.

Unclebuck
05-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I didn't bother watching because I knew the Lakers would win. This whole playoffs has turned anti-climatic to me.

Really?? These are the best conference finals I can remember. Usually one of the two series is pretty good while the other is a mismatch - but this year both have been incredible. The Nuggets were leading for most of 3 quarters last night and they should have had a bigger lead going into the 4th - but watching the game it didn't feel like a foregone conclusion at all that the lakers would win - in fact it felt like the Nugs were going to pull it out

Edit - Cable TV records continue to fall. Game #4 Monday night. The eastern conference ratings on TNT are also breaking records

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/27/lakers-vs-nuggets-game-breaks-nba-cable-records-tops-jon-kate-plus-8/19511

Posted on 27 May 2009 by Robert Seidman
The 9.88 million make it the most-watched NBA game ever on cable, and the most-watched basketball game of any kind (college or pro) on ESPN, easily surpassing last week’s 8.1 million for game one of the series. Last year ESPN had the Eastern Conference finals, and game four of that series between the Boston Celtics and Detroit Pistons averaged 6.09 million, so this year’s Western Conference game four outpaced it in viewers by a whopping 62%!

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/27/nba-playoffs-wwe-raw-and-ncis-lead-cable/19437#more-19437

Just for comparison sake that 9.88 Million viewers is better than the NBA finals ratings average in '07 and '03

Sollozzo
05-28-2009, 11:54 AM

The heavily-hyped Cavs being on the verge of elimination is anti-climatic?

The back and forth and unpredictable Orlando-Boston series was anti-climatic?

Chicago-Boston?

I admit the Western playoffs haven't been as exciting. But the WCF's are far from over. I expect Denver to win game 6 and for there to be a close game 7

Shade
05-28-2009, 12:37 PM
I said they've turned anti-climactic for me. I don't see the Magic taking out the Lakers.

Sollozzo
05-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Ah I got ya

bellisimo
05-29-2009, 10:37 PM
anyone watching the game? can Nuggets make a comeback?

count55
05-29-2009, 10:40 PM
anyone watching the game? can Nuggets make a comeback?

Maybe...they're riding the ragged edge. They show signs of life, but the Lakers are just running a ton through the post and chewing up the double teams.

Gasol's playing pretty well...Check back at the end of the third.

Sollozzo
05-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Luke Walton making some big plays.

Lakers are winning the title.

count55
05-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Nugs got it to 9, Lakers pushed it to 20, Nugs answered with 8 straight, but KMart made a stupid foul, and JRSmith got a cheapie, and it's 16 going into the fourth.

It's not impossible, but I don't think Denver has it in them. The Lakers are generally carving up their defense.

Sollozzo
05-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Kobe is looking Jordan-esque right now.

I think he will own the NBA finals and get his long waited "championship without Shaq, now please leave me alone" ring.

quinnthology
05-29-2009, 11:18 PM
After Billups' consecutive turnovers then wasting of the shot clock, I really thought he was being paid by the mob to lose the game.

Besides Kobe, when Odom truly gets into the game, Pau maintains incredible touch around the rim while feeding his teammates, Ariza gets feisty, Shannon Brown plays well and Luke Walton doesn't mess up too much, the Lakers are unbeatable. Imagine if Bynum was on his game.

The Cavs/Magic will have to contain Odom in order to win, but how do you contain a jack of all trades? If you shut off his scoring he will resort to dishing, which he does remarkably, and it's almost impossible to box him out. He's always going to have an impact, it's just about realizing that before it's too late, which the Nuggets failed to do.

Sollozzo
05-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Hats off to Denver. You had a great season. Unfortunately, the Lakers were just too strong in the end.

I don't see Cleveland or Orlando beating LA. However, I think Orlando would give them more troubles. Kobe and Lebron would probably cancel each other out in a series and LA obviously has the superior supporting cast.

Unclebuck
05-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Lakers played extremely well, Nugs scared the Lakers early in this series. I don't why but there is a patterrn with many Phil Jackson teams they get better as a series goes along and the players always say they figure the other team out

Shade
05-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Denver really needed that Game 1 win. It set the tone the rest of the way.

Sollozzo
05-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Denver really needed that Game 1 win. It set the tone the rest of the way.

Lakers would have just tied it up in game 2 then. Either way, the series was going to be going back to Denver at 1-1.

Shade
05-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Lakers would have just tied it up in game 2 then. Either way, the series was going to be going back to Denver at 1-1.

Even if that were true, it's easier to win one game than two in a row. Had Denver grabbed the early advantage it may have changed the outcome. At the least, I think it would have forced a 7th game.

idioteque
05-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Denver had a really good season.

I just hope that the Magic will make the Finals interesting, I think they will. They aren't as talented as the Lakers but they are still pretty deep and if some of the Lakers supporting cast takes a couple nights off, like they always do, it could be a 6 or 7 game series. The Magic will have to play extremely, ungodly well to win the series though.