PDA

View Full Version : Ray Allen?

JOneal7
07-03-2004, 12:08 PM
do you guys think ray allen would be our guy to fill the sg spot? he's more of a spot shooter. As opposed to a guy who can create his own shot (Jrich).
I think we need to push hard for Jrich.

bulletproof
07-03-2004, 12:37 PM
I'd like to think Bird will make a bold move this summer, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I could see them waiting until mid-season to make a move because of how far we got with this current team. I'd like to see them be a little more aggressive than that, of course, but historically Donnie makes moves to keep the team competitive (with the hope of making the finals) versus rolling the dice and going for broke (ala Joe Dumars trading for Sheed).

skyfire
07-03-2004, 01:21 PM
I feel that LB/DW will make a move during the offseason so that most of the team is in place so that Rick has a proper undistrupted pre-season this year to get everthing in place.

I think the cost to get Allen would be higher than we would want to give, and Allen doesn't really fill all the needs we have from the 2guard spot.

The pacers need outside shooting, but having an SG able to create his own shot would be almost as important. Alot of people have been lamenting his defense also.

I'm liking the idea of JRich more and more, but every JRich deal i've seen includes Freddy, so i'm torn..oh so torn.

PacerMan
07-03-2004, 02:55 PM
I feel that LB/DW will make a move during the offseason so that most of the team is in place so that Rick has a proper undistrupted pre-season this year to get everthing in place.

I think the cost to get Allen would be higher than we would want to give, and Allen doesn't really fill all the needs we have from the 2guard spot.

The pacers need outside shooting, but having an SG able to create his own shot would be almost as important. Alot of people have been lamenting his defense also.

I'm liking the idea of JRich more and more, but every JRich deal i've seen includes Freddy, so i'm torn..oh so torn.

Freddie will be at least as valuable to this team as JRich might be next season.
I have spoken. :D

Hicks
07-03-2004, 03:08 PM
I think we'll make a trade this summer, not wait until the winter. Bird's had this year to see what this team can do, he doesn't need more time to decide that. All I expect to happen is Al to be traded. Past that I don't know, but at least that will happen before the season starts.

Lord Helmet
07-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Yea I hope we don't just sitback and lose players we could've signed.Al probably will be traded but I have no clue where.Something needs to happen I'm getting sick of Sportscenter talking about the Lakers.From all the coverage SC has had you might as well call it Lakerscenter.

Hoop
07-03-2004, 03:42 PM
J Rich does not fill the need for outside shooting 28% 3pt last year. J Rich can create his on shot though, bad ones.

Allen is light years ahead of J Rich as a SG and can certainly create his own shot and is a much better passer. I would love to have Allen, but he makes way to much money for us to trade for. We'd have to include several players just like trying to get T-Mac, but Ray will be 29 this year so do we really want to trade a bunch of young players for him.

Somebody like Q Rich would be a better fit and cheaper choice for us in the long run. IMO

JOneal7
07-03-2004, 09:55 PM
QRich isn't that much better...and my head would start hurting if a trend of the noggin knock went down consistant at the fieldhouse.
What about Jason Terry? He's not really a PG but i don't know if he has the height for SG.

Unclebuck
07-04-2004, 09:44 AM
I want to second what Hoop said about Ray Allen. he is much more than a spot up shooter. He is as complete an offensive shooting guard as there is in the league. He can shoot from anywahere, but he can create a shot for himself and he is a surprising passer. He is especially good at running the pick and roll.

The only problem I have with him is his very poor defense.

SkipperZ
07-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Ray Allen can certainly create his own shots. He is much better offensively than JRich, especially considering his pg skills, which are very underrated. GReat passer, good handle, and lights out jumpshot form 30 ft and in. his only problems are contract and defense, but I think still he is the best option out there.

The only problem I have with Qrich is that he wont want to play in indiana. Him and Mrs. Moesha Richardson probably love the spotlight...

Snickers
07-04-2004, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't call playing for the Clippers being in the spotlight. ;)

JOneal7
07-04-2004, 02:32 PM
moesha richardson? LOL...
sounds like that TV show with brandy on it. lmao

SkipperZ
07-04-2004, 05:33 PM
moesha richardson? LOL...
sounds like that TV show with brandy on it. lmao

im talking about brandy... she and q are having relations...

MSA2CF
07-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Ray Allen is a good player; any team in the league would love to have him if it weren't for money reasons.

Anthem
07-04-2004, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't even mind the money if the trade included Pollard.

You wouldn't have to extend him... pull a Sheed and sign him to a smaller contract after he's gotten his first ring.

Anthem
07-06-2004, 01:50 AM
Not to mention he's mature and a team player.

BillS
07-06-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm one of those people who believes that a decent level of defense can be taught. Look at Reggie - his reputation as a poor defender comes from his early years, and yet in recent years he has been quite adequate as long as at least one stronger defender (read: Artest) is on the floor as well.

I would expect to put our 2-spot eggs in the offense basket and worry about defense after RC has a chance to work with (whomever) in training camp.

Because of this, I like the Ray idea a lot.