PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent updates from ESPN: Okur, Foyle, Turkoglu, Ginobili

blanket
07-02-2004, 10:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1833613

Detroit Pistons: The Pistons have offered free agent center Mehmet Okur a six-year, $40 million contract to stay in Detroit, according to a league source.

Okur still plans to have discussions with other teams before deciding in the next week what he will do. The Utah Jazz and Phoenix Suns are among the teams expected to make offers for Okur.

Boston Celtics: The Celtics are in heavy pursuit of free agent center Adonal Foyle, according to a source. Foyle met with the Celtics on Thursday.

Atlanta Hawks: The Hawks have contacted restricted free agent Hedo Turkoglu and may be prepared to make him a significant offer in the next few days. Turkoglu received a qualifying offer from the Spurs this week that allows them to match any offer he receives.

Utah Jazz: The Jazz will have restricted free agent Manu Ginobili in Salt Lake City on Saturday. Ginobili visited the Denver Nuggets on Friday. Utah has more than $20 million in cap room available.

Suaveness
07-02-2004, 10:45 PM
So how much does that leave Detroit to sign Wallace with?

MSA2CF
07-02-2004, 11:39 PM
Interesting how all 4 are international players. :hmm:

Ultimate Frisbee
07-02-2004, 11:45 PM
I don't get what the big deal about Okur is... Seems soft and annoying

pacerwaala
07-03-2004, 09:39 AM
I don't get what the big deal about Okur is... Seems soft and annoying

I agreee 100%. he is soft and fat. THey pay rip 7 years 63 mil, Chauncy 7 years 35 mil and Okur 6 years 40 mil. Whatever

wallaceX2
07-03-2004, 10:58 AM
I agree. Throughout the regular reason the Pistons never used Okur offensively. Maybe Brown's got something going for him, but I don't see what the big deal is about him; I almost hope Okur goes to somewhere like the Jazz to free up some cash.

dipperdunk
07-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Brown didn't even use Okur in a triple OT game when half his team had fouled out including his front court and they are going to give him almost 7 mil. per season. :laugh: The only way that makes sense is if they are going to keep him around for a year then trade him that way they get some value for him instead of losing him for nothing via free agency.

Doug in CO
07-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Meanwhile Pacers fans talk about Brewer, Brezec, and James Jones as if they aren't what they are - stiffs.

Okur is their player, they do not want to lose their own player for nothing because they see potential.

Does not chanage the fact that he is soft and fat.

Anthem
07-03-2004, 12:26 PM
I'd be overjoyed if the Pistons tie up 17mil a year to keep both Sheed and Okur.

Yeah, they won the championship this year, but those moves don't give them much room to improve, while I think we're going to be drastically improved next year.

As long as we get a shooting guard.

Hicks
07-03-2004, 01:06 PM
DouginCT, I don't know what your definition of stiff is, but I don't think J.Jones is a stiff. And if you go by my def. of stiff, which would be someone lacking athleticism, Brewer isn't either.

With that said my focus is James Jones because I believe he's better than either of them. He's not gonna jump in and play, yet you judge him because he didn't. He was a rookie the position that we have Artest, Harrington, and Bender for. He was going to play when exactly? That answer is he couldn't.

Later on I think you and other that doubt him will see he can be a player in this league. Not a star, maybe not even a starter, but at least a solid bench player.

Snickers
07-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Yep. It's easy to dismiss him as a useless palyer, since he could barely get off the I.R., nevermind the bench. But JJ was a rookie, at a position where we were already overstocked.

Heck, even making the roster is impressive, but I think he'll be a contributor in due time. He is very skilled, and he's going to be a solid player someday. Certainly a steal for a late 2nd round pick.

But on the other hand, this is coming from the two people who have "James Jones Bandwagon Member" banners in their sigs. :D

Pig Nash
07-03-2004, 04:22 PM
I don't have JJ banner but I agree with you. ;)

Doug in CO
07-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Stiff is harsh - maybe James Jones will surpisse... I merely want to point out how for whatever reason, we all tend to fall in love with our own players. Brewer, now there's a stiff.

Hicks
07-03-2004, 04:50 PM
I agree we fall in love with our own players.

Don't most teams' fans?

Doug in CO
07-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Yes - with the productive ones

I was shocked at the Brezec lament

and the brewer fans perplex me

the james jones fans are of course brilliant

MSA2CF
07-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Primoz will be an all star someday...
:zip:

Snickers
07-03-2004, 11:43 PM
the james jones fans are of course brilliant

Yes we are. :cool:

Wait.... was that sarcastic? :mad:

kerosene
07-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Foyle has evidently agreed to a 5 year deal with GSW.

Lord Helmet
07-05-2004, 05:31 PM
GINOBILI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSA2CF
07-05-2004, 06:16 PM

Probably the smartest decision for him. :thumbsup:

Kegboy
07-06-2004, 11:27 AM

Yeah, for $41M!!! Can someone PLEASE explain that to me? Or has Mullin been shaving his head so tight he's losing brain cells in the process?

:confused:
---
:duel:

Slick Pinkham
07-06-2004, 12:00 PM
8 million a year for Foyle is freaking insane.

He plays good D, has no offensive game, and is fragile as anything.

Because of the good D, he is more desirable than Dampier to a team with many offensive options already, but that price tag is just silly.

Shade
07-06-2004, 12:13 PM
So, to recap:

Okur - :pistons: or :jazz:
Foyle - :warriors:
Turkoglu - :spurs: or :hawks:
Ginobili - :spurs: or :nuggets:

Gyron
07-06-2004, 12:37 PM
What do you guys think of Ginobili? I don't know a lot about him, but would he fit anywhere on the pacers roster if we could afford him(which I know we can't, but just asking)?

SycamoreKen
07-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Ginobili would fit well here. Think Fred Jones at 6'6. He handles the ball better and can play the pint in a pinch. We have no shot at him though.

kerosene
07-06-2004, 03:55 PM
Re: Foyle's contract.

Starting at 6.5M seems high yes. But if Orlando was offering the full MLE to Foyle here's something to consider (from Buzz at WW):

5.1M with no state taxes.
6.6M at 9.3% state taxes.

http://forums.warriorsworld.net/main/msgs/671491.phtml

3Ball
07-06-2004, 09:55 PM
I mentioned this on another thread, but I think Ginobili would be a terrific fit with Indy. He's got pretty good D, he's a fantastic slasher who can make things happen, and has a decent outside shot. Plus, with Freddie, we would have the two most exciting dunkers in the league. Also, he played the point quite a bit this year. Could be the combo guared we've been lusting after.

I absolutely think we could do a sign-and-trade with San Antonio. They could really use a starting small forward, especially if they lose Turkolu. And remember, Ginobili didn't even start there last year.

Gyron
07-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Is there any realistic chance of Indy doing a sign and trade for him if San Antonio can hold on to him in the FA period?

3Ball
07-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Only if the Nuggets don't run the price up too high. (And by the way, are they trying to build the first all-south american squad?) San Antonio had a good trading experience with the Pacers last year. I think they like Ginobili, but he doesn't really fit their profile. Harrington would be much more of a Coach Pop guy than Manu.

Gyron
07-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Harrington for Manu wouldn't work would it, due to Salaries not matching?

Wonder who else we would have to give up to get him?