PDA

View Full Version : Rashad Wright Update

Hoop
07-02-2004, 03:55 PM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/159335-3575-036.html

Pacers like Wright

Those involved in the Indiana Pacers draft felt fortunate Rashad Wright was available with the last pick in the second round.

After working with Wright for two days at Conseco Fieldhouse, they feel even better.

"To get a guy like that with the 59th pick to me is unbelievable," Carlisle said Thursday. "He's a point guard with size, he's very competitive and he showed me he's a very good shooter."

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh echoed Carlisle's evaluation. Walsh gave last year's second-round pick, James Jones, a guaranteed contract but will wait until after summer league play before deciding whether to extend Wright a similar offer.

Wright, a 6-2 point guard, averaged 14.3 points as a senior at Georgia last season. He shot just 40 percent from the field, but hit 40 percent of his 3-pointers. He led the Southeastern Conference in steals and was named the league's Defensive Player of the Year.

Carlisle worked with him on shooting the longer 3-pointers in the NBA.

"He picked up things very quickly," Carlisle said. "I really liked him. He's a guy who doesn't say anything; he just comes out on the court and works. You can tell he wants to be a player and he's going to be a player."

The Pacers have just one point guard, Jamaal Tinsley, under contract for next season, but might re-sign Anthony Johnson and Jamison Brewer.

David Harrison, the Pacers' first-round draft pick, will continue to work out at the fieldhouse until the start of rookie/free agent camp on July 12.

He could sign as early as next week. Draft picks are exempt from the moratorium on trades and signings that lasts until July 14.

Hicks
07-02-2004, 04:05 PM
How did these two drop to us? Did we really luck out?

RA231
07-02-2004, 04:54 PM
I'm glad we got him, i think hes going to be a steal.

Lord Helmet
07-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Yea hopefully we won't lose any of our pgs.

Hoop
07-02-2004, 06:19 PM
It's probably asking way to much for both a 29th and a 59th pick to be quality players, but you never know. I'm always hopeful and excited about the possibilities, till they prove they can't play.

recap
07-02-2004, 06:31 PM
How can we possibly have room on the team for all of these players? If Johnson and Brewer are back, and I hope that both are brought back, I'm not sure how we can sign Wright. We have two roster spots vacated by Primoz and Anderson. Harrison gets one of those. Assuming that we don't make a major trade, you have to think that management is going to sign a free agent shooting guard. That doesn't leave room for Wright.

Everyone, including Carlisle was really high on Carl English last summer too, but there just wasn't room on the roster. I guess that if Carlisle and Bird feel like Wright will be better than Brewer then we may sign him instead of Jamison.

Hicks
07-02-2004, 06:34 PM
I highly doubt we're getting a SG in free agency. I think we're trading for one.

Primoz = Harrison

Anderson = Wright

There's room.

recap
07-02-2004, 06:41 PM
Perhaps, I am still not over Houston getting McGrady, but I am pretty pessimistic that we are going to make a significant trade this summer. As I look around at who is availbale, I am thinking that it is more and more likely that we will use the MLE to acquire a back-up sg.

MSA2CF
07-02-2004, 07:04 PM
I don't expect Jamison Brewer to play for the Pacers ever again.

Now that doesn't mean we won't sign him...;)

Just kidding...I seriously don't think Brewer is worth much & I would be willing to lose him. Wright probably already has more NBA experience than Brewer. :jester:

Snickers
07-02-2004, 11:52 PM
No matter who we draft, we'll hear something like "This kid is very good, we're glad he was available."

Harrison and Wright sound great now, but I'll wait till I see them play to decide what I think of them.

Natston
07-03-2004, 03:28 AM
No matter who we draft, we'll hear something like "This kid is very good, we're glad he was available."

Harrison and Wright sound great now, but I'll wait till I see them play to decide what I think of them.

All of 59 players picked have the potential to become great and they were a steal where they were picked. All of the respective teams got the guy that they wanted all along, and was on the top of their draft board.

I'm not getting my hopes yet, but after these guys ride the bench for awhile I'll start up the respective bandwagons so I can harp on their greatness. :)

Anthem
07-03-2004, 12:29 PM
I was down on Brewer, but evidently the coaching staff wasn't.

I'd feel just fine going into next season with a backup PG combo of Freddy & Brewer. With a season of experience, either of those guys would be a better distributer than AJ is.

Pig Nash
07-03-2004, 01:29 PM
I was down on Brewer, but evidently the coaching staff wasn't.

I'd feel just fine going into next season with a backup PG combo of Freddy & Brewer. With a season of experience, either of those guys would be a better distributer than AJ is.

That's really not saying much Anthem.

Anthem
07-03-2004, 01:54 PM

:laugh: No, it's not, and that's kinda the point. Either of those guys could be an improvement.

Priority #1 for me this offseason is improving the backcourt.

PacerMan
07-03-2004, 02:52 PM

:laugh: No, it's not, and that's kinda the point. Either of those guys could be an improvement.

Priority #1 for me this offseason is improving the backcourt.

Brewer can play defense like no other pg on the team. That is pretty damn significant if you look at how the really good pg's have scorched us.
10 minutes of lock down defense on a Kidd or Iverson while Tins gets a blow would be a godsend.
Where are all the Artest lovers to realize what a help Brewer could be on defense?

Hicks
07-03-2004, 02:54 PM
I think Wright is supposed to be a very good defender as well. It's because of that I feel he's likely to take Brewer's spot on the roster. If he can play as good on defense, but he's also a good PG on the offensive end (running the offense), I see no reason to keep Brewer.

Ultimate Frisbee
07-03-2004, 03:33 PM
I don't understand why he was available... he sounds like the perfect NBA backup PG.. excellent defender, decent size, decent shooter... I bet we keep him and ditch brewer...

Snickers
07-03-2004, 03:38 PM
I don't understand why he was available... he sounds like the perfect NBA backup PG.. excellent defender, decent size, decent shooter... I bet we keep him and ditch brewer...

Could be that practically every team in the league drafted HS and Euro kids. Or it could be that pretty much everything we're hearing now is fluff, and he really isn't as good as we think he is.

Shade
07-03-2004, 03:45 PM
C - Foster/Harrison/Pollard
PF - O'Neal/Croshere
SF - Artest/Harrington/Bender/JJones
SG - Miller/FJones
PG - Tinsley/Johnson/Wright/Brewer

We badly need to move a SF and PG (and Polly) for a SG.

PacerMan
07-03-2004, 07:37 PM
He MAY be very good, but why then wouldn't he have been taken sooner?
Brewer has SERIOIUS quicks. That's hard to replicate. IF this kid really does play that kind of D AND run an offense, then bring him on! ;)

JOneal7
07-03-2004, 10:52 PM
wow he was a DPOY in college? hahah 2 on one team? STOP THAT B*TCHES! lol..
awesome...

recap
07-04-2004, 02:17 AM
wow he was a DPOY in college? hahah 2 on one team? STOP THAT B*TCHES! lol..
awesome...

:o

JO7 you are absolutely the most amusing poster on this board.

I think that we will keep Brewer. Were he on the playoff roster I think that we would have had a better chance of beating the Pistons. Granted, he hasn't shown anything running the point, but he is the best backcourt defender that we have against guards that are too quick for Artest.

I wonder if the chances are better of bringing Brewer back if we don't trade Artest. From an outsider's perspective, Brewer seems to be the best friend that Artest has on the team.