PDA

View Full Version : Hawks offer job to Woodson

Kegboy
07-02-2004, 02:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1833396

Woodson strongly considering offer

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The Atlanta Hawks have offered their vacant coaching position to Detroit Pistons assistant Mike Woodson, ESPN.com has learned.

Woodson is among the hottest coaching candidates in the NBA's assistant ranks and, according to sources, is strongly considering the offer, with a decision not expected until after the holiday weekend.

Hawks general manager Billy Knight acknowledged earlier in the week that he might be forced to extend a three- or four-year offer to a coach, signaling that Woodson is Atlanta's top candidate.

It's believed that only a long-term deal will lure Woodson away from Detroit, where he ranks as Larry Brown's lead assistant and as a possible down-the-road successor for Brown with the newly crowned NBA champions.

If Woodson declines, the Hawks are expected to turn to Indiana Pacers assistant Mike Brown.

Well, hopefully he'll take it. I like Billy Knight alot, and I want him to succeed, but I don't want to lose Mike. I really think Carlisle needs another year with him, or else he'll just revert back to being too conservative. Especially if he were to replace him with O'Neill.
---
:duel:

BigMac
07-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Congrats to Woodson.

I have a prediction: Next Hawks coach will be Mike.

Aw Heck
07-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Whew... now let's just hope the Nuggets don't fire Bzdelik.

Is there still a chance O'Neill will join the staff? Maybe replace Rothstein with him or just add him to the staff?

Dukins
07-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Man i hope woodson takes it. I dont want to lose Mike Brown it seems like he has good chemistry with the players, not only that he is a great assistant coach. This might nix a trade for JTerry.

ChicagoJ
07-03-2004, 08:35 PM
I'm really happy for Mike Woodson. I hope he takes it and is successful.

Let's fill the world with ex-IU players as coaches. :cool:

MSA2CF
07-04-2004, 02:08 PM
It looks like he's going to take it...

I wonder: Is there a limit to how many assistant coaches one can have?