PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports Article: Carlisle: Miller's decision should help Pacers

PHC Fan
07-02-2004, 01:27 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2554170

Indiana coach Rick Carlisle wasn't surprised by Reggie Miller's decision to return for an 18th season. He even believes the move will help the Pacers in the free agent market.

"I think any free agent out there would love the opportunity to play with Reggie Miller, at least for a year, especially big people," Carlisle said Thursday. "They know that with a guy like Reggie standing on the outside, it's going to be a lot easier on the inside."
Miller said he would return during an interview on CBS's "The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn" broadcast early Thursday.

"We were close this year," said Miller, the Pacers' career scoring leader, who has two years left on his contract with Indiana. "I'm surrounded by a great nucleus of young players and a fantastic coach in coach Carlisle.

"And I want to go after it one more time," Miller said as the studio audience in Los Angeles began chanting "Reg-gie! Reg-gie!"

At a news conference Thursday afternoon, Walsh said he expected Miller, who will turn 39 in August, to return all along.

"I'm kinda wondering what all the fuss is about," Walsh said. "I never really doubted that Reggie was coming back. I felt all along that he was coming back and I'm happy about it."

Last month, after Indiana was eliminated by Detroit in the Eastern Conference finals, Miller refused to answer questions about whether he would return.

Taking a reduced role in the offense, Miller averaged 10.1 points during the regular season and 10.0 points in the playoffs last season. He is the NBA's career leader in 3-pointers made and attempted.

Carlisle said earlier this year that Miller had given him no indication he would retire.

"This is good news," Carlisle said. "It gets us headed into summer and into next year on a high note."

Thursday marked the opening of the free-agent signing period, and the Pacers figured to be active, either by signing free agents or making trades.

Walsh targeted a big man and an outside shooter earlier in the spring. The addition of 7-foot, 285-pound Colorado center David Harrison in the first round of the draft certainly helped address one need.

"That was a very fortunate happenstance that we were able to get a player of that caliber and size at (pick No.) 29," Walsh said. "I'm not going to say that changes things, but it's certainly nice to go into this period knowing we've got a team full of players, that were successful last year and there is no pressure to get a particular player. Now we're trying to get players that can improve our team."

Carlisle said, Miller "probably" would start next season.

"The one great thing about Reggie, as a star player and a first-ballot Hall of Famer, is that he's going to be in favor of whatever's best for the team," Carlisle said. "If it turns out to be a situation where it was better for him to come off the bench, I know that he would go along with that."

Pig Nash
07-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Well maybe this means that Carlisle can talk him into coming off the bench.

Lord Helmet
07-03-2004, 02:31 AM
RC wouldn't have to talk Reg into coming off the bench.Reg has already said that he will do whatever is best for the team.