PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Interested in Blount; Mike Brown to Coach Hawks?

blanket
07-02-2004, 10:04 AM
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/9060956.htm?ERIGHTS=-212984832386917068philly

"Blount is believed to be taking a close look at Miami and Orlando, the franchises closest to his home. The Indiana Pacers also have keen interest, thinking that Blount might be the missing piece in their bid for an NBA championship. Another intriguing possibility for the Sixers is the 6-9 Skinner, who played in Philadelphia in 2002-03 but disappeared from the rotation late in the season. He started 54 games last season for the Bucks, averaging 10.5 points and 7.3 rebounds. An NBA source said there is interest between the Sixers and Skinner, who was believed to have been disappointed to leave the team after just one season."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/hawks/0704/02hawks.html

"Detroit Pistons assistant coach Mike Woodson and Indiana Pacers associate head coach have emerged as the leading candidates for the Hawks vacancy, two sources familiar with the coaching search said Thursday. The sources also said general manager Billy Knight probably will have a coach in place by the middle of next week. Knight was unavailable for comment."

SycamoreKen
07-02-2004, 10:07 AM
Brown would help the Hawks keep Stephen Jackson in the fold since they had a great relationship in San Antonio. I don't know if i would want to coach such a young team though.

Suaveness
07-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Don't go to Atlanta, Mike! It isn't good for you!

Unclebuck
07-02-2004, 10:13 AM
From Mike Brown's perspective, he should not take the Hawks job. They won't be any good for several years. Brown is very young, and is a guy IMO will be in line for a number of better jobs over the next few years.

Blount would be a nice pickup. But I think the Pacers are third in line behind the Sixers and the Heat to get him. Depends if Blount wants to win next season or wants to go to where his former coach is, or if he wants to stay close to home, Heat.

Doug
07-02-2004, 10:17 AM
From Mike Brown's perspective, he should not take the Hawks job. They won't be any good for several years. Brown is very young, and is a guy IMO will be in line for a number of better jobs over the next few years.

I'm kinda surprised the Lakers haven't expressed interest in Mike.

BillS
07-02-2004, 10:24 AM
I think the Hawks is the perfect job for Brown to take. There are very low expectations here, so the trap of a new head coach taking over a team expected to do well can be avoided.

I have always felt that a new-to-head-coaching coach should start with a franchise that is rebuilding. That way he doesn't have to fight with expectations set by previous success with the same players.

The other very strong advantage to the Hawks job is that they are under a completely new ownership situation. There are no lingering animosities toward the front office, among players or staff or even fans (why did I think it was poetic justice when Pete Babcock got the Raptors player personnel job?).

I think as a team the Hawks have the potential to start moving forward, and the strongest players are yet to come. If Brown (or whomever gets the job) can do better than last year, his tenure gets off to a good start. If he can get this team to the playoffs, even as a squeak-in, he's a hero. If not, no one really expected otherwise and he gets to try again next year (barring major player or staff interaction disasters, which I would NOT expect from Mike).

dipperdunk
07-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Blount is a nice player and would probably be a good fit in Indy. I would rather have the 76ers bring back Brian Skinner I still don't know why King let him leave last summer and he had a very good year for the Bucks. I'm surprised there isn't more interest around the league in Skinner.

Anthem
07-02-2004, 11:06 AM
I would like to see Mark Blount in a Pacers uniform. I think we've established that.

Croshere S&T for Blount/Adkins would make me happy on multiple fronts.

Hicks
07-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Mike Brown should be like Will Riker on TNG: You gotta turn down the Captain's Chair 3-4 times before you finally submit. :D