PDA

View Full Version : Boozer's option

SkipperZ
07-01-2004, 09:23 PM
was not picked up by the Cavs... I think management is sending a great message by not keeping him on the team for 700k. Instead they did not pick up his option to sign him to a lucrative long term deal.

Really shows a guy they want him around... Classy move in my opinion....

But how funny would it be if someone threw him a max or near max offer sheet? You cant tell me Booz wouldnt be tempted to sign it. And if so, The Cavs would be FORCED to match the offer... Hey with nash making close to 14 mil a year, nethings possible....:laugh:

Hicks
07-01-2004, 09:30 PM
What an idiotic decision. You can have Boozer for less than a million next year, and you say NO?! Crazy. I hope they lose him.

Pig Nash
07-01-2004, 09:34 PM
I guess they're thinking they can sign him for less now then when he's a FA.

Will Galen
07-01-2004, 09:44 PM
They can't match a max offer.

Under the league's collective bargaining agreement, the Cavaliers can only give the former Duke star a deal starting at the mid-level exception, which will be about $5 million a season. The contract can be for a maximum of six years.

http://sports.excite.com/news/07012004/v4773.html

SkipperZ
07-01-2004, 10:20 PM
They can't match a max offer.

Under the league's collective bargaining agreement, the Cavaliers can only give the former Duke star a deal starting at the mid-level exception, which will be about $5 million a season. The contract can be for a maximum of six years.

http://sports.excite.com/news/07012004/v4773.html

i thought that didnt apply when matching an offer sheet on a restricted FA...

SkipperZ
07-01-2004, 10:22 PM
What an idiotic decision. You can have Boozer for less than a million next year, and you say NO?! Crazy. I hope they lose him.

If they picked up his option, then Boozer would be an unrestricted FA after next season. This way, he is restricted and the Cavs would be guaranteed to keep him long term by either coming to a long term agreement with him before July 14th, or matching some other teams offer to him...

They didnt even want to risk losing him next season, and probably think that he would command a large (maybe even max) salary if he was a FA next summer. Booz might have a breakout season next year...

Hicks
07-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Ah that makes sense.

Anthem
07-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Yeah, good job on the Cav's part.

kerosene
07-02-2004, 12:22 AM
Yeah, what SkipperZ said. That was the plan all along IIRC. The Cavs want to lock him up and even management would have to agree he's underpaid as it is.

skyfire
07-02-2004, 12:54 AM
i think its a good play by the Cavs, instilling faith in your best players is essential. i'm hoping that the cavs and boozer already have some deal worked out, it would be a shame if they lost him.

Will Galen
07-02-2004, 01:22 AM

If they picked up his option, then Boozer would be an unrestricted FA after next season. This way, he is restricted and the Cavs would be guaranteed to keep him long term by either coming to a long term agreement with him before July 14th, or matching some other teams offer to him...

They didnt even want to risk losing him next season, and probably think that he would command a large (maybe even max) salary if he was a FA next summer. Booz might have a breakout season next year...

No I think that article I quoated might be right. Rememeber Girbert Arenas, Golden State could only offer him the Mid level exception because he was a two year player, they didn't have his Bird rights. So he went to Washington.

I think what Cleveland has done by cutting Boozer's contract short is put him into the same catagory as Arenas.

Now I'm not going to swear to this because the case's aren't exact, and web site's are often wrong, plus I hate being wrong twice in 24 hours. :mad: However, it's what it looks like.

Will Galen
07-02-2004, 01:32 AM
i think its a good play by the Cavs, instilling faith in your best players is essential. i'm hoping that the cavs and boozer already have some deal worked out, it would be a shame if they lost him.

I think they do have a deal worked out, why else risk him?

What would you do if you and your wife were really happy where you were, and your employer came up to you and said, "You are only due $700,000 next year. We like you and want to give you a raise, but it's a risk on our part."

"What we want to do is make you a restricted free agent and sign you to a long term contract. Now all we can sign you for next year is a starting salary of $5,000,000, with 12 1/2% raises. That's giving you $4,300,000 next year that you wouldn't get."

Would you resign?

It appears the maxium offer Boozer could get for next year would be about $11* million, or 25% of a teams salary cap.

* Larry Coon's chart didn't give next year's salary's, but it would be somewhere around $11 million.

kerosene
07-02-2004, 01:34 AM
Golden State could only offer the mid-level because they were over the cap. A team could offer more if they aren't right? I guess that is what the Cavs/Boozer have done. I still thought the idea was for him to opt out regardless and have Cleveland lock him up with a larger/longer deal.

Will Galen
07-02-2004, 01:53 AM
Golden State could only offer the mid-level because they were over the cap. A team could offer more if they aren't right? I guess that is what the Cavs/Boozer have done. I still thought the idea was for him to opt out regardless and have Cleveland lock him up with a larger/longer deal.

According to Hoopshype, Cleveland has a salary of $38.7 million next year, with the cap being somewhere around $43 million. They will have to add their 1st round draft pick to that though.

Peck
07-02-2004, 04:01 AM
I'm serious about this.

We should do whatever we could do to dump as much salary as possible to sign Boozer, even if it meant signing him to a Max deal.

He is that good. This is Dale Davis with a shot.

He is a Man & he plays a Mans game.

I know I know it's not possible to do this, but I would if we could.

Suaveness
07-02-2004, 09:35 AM
I am so surprised this guy went in round 2. It is unfortunate we didn't pick him up.

DisplacedKnick
07-02-2004, 10:36 AM
AFAIK, The Cavs would be able to match any offer up to the cap, or the MLE, whichever is greater.

However, if Boozer stays with him this year he gets Bird rights and they can offer him a max deal.

My guess is they've talked to him and have something pretty much worked out. As long as Utah, Denver or the Spurs don't hurl huge dollars at him they should be OK.

Fool
07-02-2004, 11:15 AM
I understand how this could be a classy move by the CAVS but you could also see it as the Cavs sacrificing this year for a cheaper Boozer the next three to four years.

If my boss came to me and said "Hi, we'll give you 8 times your salary this year and the next 3 to 4 years so that you won't make 13 - 15 times your salary next year and the next 4 to 5 years, I'd decline in a heart-beat." In essence, they are asking him to take a future paycut.

recap
07-02-2004, 06:37 PM
I wonder if Boozer would be interested in going to play for Coack K in LA?

No reason to think that he would leave Cleveland when they are about to offer him a wad of cash, just a though.

Will Galen
07-03-2004, 02:10 AM
<size=16>Cavaliers free up Boozer to bring him back</size>

League rules mean move will allow him to sign longer, more lucrative deal

By Brian Windhorst
Beacon Journal staff writer

CLEVELAND - The Cavaliers did not pick up the option in Carlos Boozer's contract by this week's deadline, making him a free agent.

It was erroneously reported in Wednesday's Beacon Journal that the team had exercised the option.

The decision sent shock waves through various circles in the NBA, because Boozer, an Olympian and runner-up for the NBA's Most Improved Player Award, is now out on the open market and, theoretically, available to the highest bidder. That said, it doesn't appear the two sides want to part ways.

The Cavaliers intend to offer Boozer, who averaged 15.5 points and 11.4 rebounds in his second NBA season, a long-term contract and hope to sign him on July 14, the first day free agents can sign.

``I want to be in Cleveland; I want to be with the Cavaliers,'' Boozer told the Associated Press. ``Now it's up to my agent and the Cavs to work things out.''

What happens next is complicated and has numerous variables. Most of it comes down to Boozer's word about his desire to stay with the Cavaliers.

Because of salary-cap and collective-bargaining rules, the most money the Cavaliers can offer Boozer at the moment is a deal starting at $5 million next season, what is known as the average player salary. The Cavaliers could sign him for up to six years, a pact with raises that would be worth around $40 million.

``We are now able, and fully intend, to enter into a long-term contract with Carlos,'' Cavaliers general manager Jim Paxson said in a statement.

However, because Boozer is a free agent, he can shop his services to any team. Because numerous teams -- especially the Utah Jazz, Denver Nuggets and Atlanta Hawks -- have loads of salary-cap room, they could offer him considerably more money.

For this reason, the Cavaliers are taking on a heavy risk with a cornerstone of the franchise.

Last year, Golden State Warriors free-agent point guard Gilbert Arenas was in the same situation. He was a highly successful second-round pick and, as a free agent after two seasons, took a six-year, $64 million deal with the Washington Wizards that the high-and-dry Warriors couldn't match. By all rights, Boozer could do the same thing.

It is possible the Cavaliers could make moves to get far enough under the salary cap to match a higher offer to Boozer but not without potentially doing damage to the current team makeup.

``Carlos and his wife, CeCe, made it clear to me that they are very comfortable with the Cavaliers organization,'' Rob Pelinka, Boozer's agent, told the AP. ``I'm confident (Paxson) and I will continue to have conversations, and we'll be able to work something out.''

Boozer has been floating this current scenario since the middle of last season. By convincing the Cavaliers to let him out of his option, Boozer can get his large contract a year early. Had the Cavaliers picked up the option, Boozer would've only made $700,000 next season. Now he will be a multimillionaire. Boozer swore loyalty to the Cavaliers organization if they were to let him out.

``I am an honorable person; we have a great foundation here,'' Boozer said. ``I am fine with sharing the spotlight with LeBron. Everything is going in the right direction for me. I think there is a possibility to get something done this summer.''

Under NBA rules, though, the Cavaliers and Boozer are not permitted to enter into a written agreement before July 14. It is unclear whether Boozer intends to listen to any other offers, which could total as much as $20 million more than the Cavaliers' top offer, between now and then.

He is sure to hear from several teams who have rued passing him up in the NBA Draft, the Jazz and Nuggets especially, and will now want to land his services.

``I am making a lot of money compared to the average person, but in the NBA it is chump change,'' Boozer said last season. ``I feel like I am going to get what I deserve.''