PDA

View Full Version : Suns get their man... NASH?!?

Doug in CO
07-01-2004, 08:12 PM
So much for Phoenix as a Kobe destinaation, the Suns have an agreement with Nash - 5 years, 65 million.

This is too much for him.

zxc
07-01-2004, 08:20 PM
5 years 65 million? Wow. Too much is right. Is he really what they need to get them anywhere? They were a lottery team with Marbury and they basically traded him for this cap space, now they just get another PG with it. He really that much better than Marbury?

Hicks
07-01-2004, 08:25 PM
They're paying NASH 13 Million a year ?! Jesus what a waste of money, and I like Steve a lot.

Doug in CO
07-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Seriously - how does this make sense? They go from a contender to land a astud (Kobe or someone else) to landing NASH? Nash is a nice piece - but he is not the whole puzzle.

Will Galen
07-01-2004, 08:45 PM
:link:

All they can do until the 14th is talk. They don't have Nash. They can't even offer him a contract.

Pig Nash
07-01-2004, 08:46 PM
This is truly confusing. Also, this screws up the Shaq to dallas stuff so Kobe is DEFINATELY not staying in Lakerland.

Pig Nash
07-01-2004, 08:47 PM
check out the other thread will.

Will Galen
07-01-2004, 08:56 PM

What I said still holds. Nash has to sign a contract, he can't do that until July 14th, then the Mavs will have 15 days to match it, or declare they are not matching.

What Cuban could say he isn't matching now, then wait the full 15 days before matching Nash's contract, thus leaving the Suns hanging for a full month.

Personally I don't believe things until it's official.

Doug in CO
07-01-2004, 09:00 PM
Will - Nash is UNRESTRICTED - he gave Cuban the courtesy of matching.

Also - you have it wrong - you can offer contracts, you can have verbal committments - how good is someone's word... well that can be another story.

Point is this - the Suns sunk all of their flexibility into NASH.

dipperdunk
07-01-2004, 09:04 PM

What I said still holds. Nash has to sign a contract, he can't do that until July 14th, then the Mavs will have 15 days to match it, or declare they are not matching.

Are you sure Will? I thought Nash was an unrestricted free agent meaning Cuban couldn't match even if he wanted to if Nash decides to leave. I think Nash was just giving Cuban one last chance to match the Suns deal and Cuban said no it was too high but I'm pretty sure Nash was just doing that as a courtesy to Cuban. I think the 15 days to match etc.,, only applies to restricted free agents and I'm pretty sure Nash is unrestricted.

Doug in CO
07-01-2004, 09:06 PM
See the list of free agents - including the designation of restricted and unrestricted

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/feature/featureStory?page=nbafreeagency04

Will Galen
07-01-2004, 09:55 PM
Will - Nash is UNRESTRICTED - he gave Cuban the courtesy of matching.

Also - you have it wrong - you can offer contracts, you can have verbal committments - how good is someone's word... well that can be another story.

Point is this - the Suns sunk all of their flexibility into NASH.

Oh goodness me, that does make a difference! In fact now that you called it to my attention I remember that he was giving Cuban the right to match.

MSA2CF
07-01-2004, 10:06 PM
Nash is a nice PG. The Suns can do what they want, I don't care.

Hey Dip, might that be the Yankee Clipper himself? Don't tell me who it is if it's not him. I want another guess.

Kegboy
07-01-2004, 10:59 PM
I see this as a very good thing. Dallas gets worse, and while Phoenix gets better, I mean, come on, who's scared of Phoenix? :unimpressed:
---
:duel:

Anthem
07-01-2004, 11:43 PM
So here's the question.

If you're Dallas, do you match?

Stryder
07-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Wow.

Talk about the definition of being "overpaid".

Damn, he's a good PG, but there's not a chance in hell that he's worth that kind of money.

Stryder
07-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Courtesy of Yahoo Sports:

"PHOENIX (AP) -- Point guard Steve Nash agreed to a five-year, $65 million deal with the Phoenix Suns on Thursday, leaving the Dallas Mavericks to return to the team that drafted him eight years ago.

The deal includes a ``partial guarantee'' for a sixth year, Nash's agent Bill Duffy said.

Nash shook hands on the deal with new owner Robert Sarver and Suns chairman Jerry Colangelo at a meeting in Dallas, Duffy said.

ADVERTISEMENT

NBA rules prohibit Nash from signing the contract until July 14. Teams were allowed to begin talks with free agents late Wednesday.

Nash averaged 14.5 points, 8.8 assists and three rebounds per game last season, when he also recorded his first career triple-double.

He will give Phoenix an experienced playmaker ahead of young Leandro Barbosa. The move almost certainly removes the Suns from the competition for Los Angeles Lakers free agent Kobe Bryant.

Phoenix is $16.3 million under the NBA salary cap, not counting the Nash deal.

Dallas officials said repeatedly since the season ended that they expected no problem keeping Nash, the spark plug behind their rise from one of the league's worst teams to one of the best. Along the way, the energetic, floppy haired guard became an All-Star and a fan favorite.

``I think it was his intention to stay with the Mavericks,'' Duffy said of the 30-year-old Nash. ``Everything just turned around so quickly.''

The Suns sent a 12-person contingent to Dallas on Thursday morning, a group that included team president Bryan Colangelo, the Suns' Amare Stoudemire, Suns part-owner Steve Kerr and former player Rex Chapman.

``Phoenix came up to the plate and put together a very significant offer and we accepted it,'' Duffy said. ``The numbers were significant, but it was also the years. It was a five-year deal and that is very significant for someone Steve's age.''

Nash was drafted by Phoenix in 1996 and spent two seasons backing up Kevin Johnson and Jason Kidd. He was traded to Dallas on draft day in 1998, the same night the Mavs acquired Dirk Nowitzki. Those two plus holdover Michael Finley formed the heart of Dallas' turnaround.

Nash spoke to Finley and Nowitzki by telephone during Thursday's eight-hour negotiations.

``I think it was very difficult for him,'' Duffy said, but he added that the Suns' proposal was ``a very aggressive offer for this marketplace.''

Finley and Nowitzki were given maximum contracts two summers ago. Nash, who was never offered an extension, opted out of his contract to become a free agent for the first time but maintained that he wanted to remain in Dallas.

``I think everyone is optimistic that I can be a part of our building process,'' he said the day after the Mavericks were knocked out of the playoffs in the first round. ``I certainly want to be part of that process. I don't think of this as the end of my time here.''

But the Suns lured Nash with money and a long-term deal. Nash will be teamed with Stoudemire, the NBA rookie of the year two seasons ago who also is a client of Duffy. The Suns also have two young high scorers in Joe Johnson and Shawn Marion.

The length of the contract was one of the attractions for Nash. The familiarity Nash had with the Suns franchise as well as Phoenix's aggressiveness in pursuing him also were factors, Duffy said.

After the meeting, the Suns' contingent returned to Phoenix by private jet. Nash went back to his home in Victoria, British Columbia.

Jerry Colangelo, also chairman of baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, arrived late for Thursday night's game against San Diego. He said NBA rules prohibited him from talking about the Nash situation until signings are allowed on July 14.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson had discussed Nash's return as if it was inevitable -- even after they traded Antawn Jamison to Washington for No. 5 pick Devin Harris, a point guard from Wisconsin.

Harris was immediately tabbed as Nash's backup and long-term replacement.

Duffy said Cuban wasn't able to match the Suns' surprisingly large offer.

The biggest knock on Nash is durability.

Coach Don Nelson always talked about limiting his minutes during the regular season to keep him fresher for the playoffs, but rarely did. Concerns that Nash's all-out style may wear him out by the end of a long-term deal may have been a factor in this move. Dallas likely wasn't willing to offer as many years as the Suns.

Dallas sports writer Jamie Aron contributed to this story"

Stryder
07-01-2004, 11:56 PM
*Edited double post due to my lack of knowing how to delete the post*

dipperdunk
07-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Hey Dip, might that be the Yankee Clipper himself? Don't tell me who it is if it's not him. I want another guess.

Yep, thats Joe D. :)

Young
07-02-2004, 12:01 AM
I just don't get this.

I thougt they were going for the future, with Milos V. and Barbosa, Zarko, Lampe, and not to mention Amare, Marion, and JJ.

Now they go sign a aging point guard who is good but not worth this.

I compare Nash's value to a little more than Dampier just because Nash is consistant. Nash's salary should never exceed 10 million and the Suns should not have signed him past 5 years.

I hate that NBA players are payed for how they payed last season and not how they are likely to play next season. I think after a few seasons into the deal, their salarys should decline. They always end up to go downhill or something. Maybe its just me. Hell ignore this paragraph.

MSA2CF
07-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Yep, thats Joe D. :)

You are a Yankee fan? :shout:

-----

And just to make this non-off topic; I don't understand the move yet. I need more explanation by the organization.

Anthem
07-02-2004, 12:15 AM
What the heck did the Suns trade their pick for?

Bball
07-02-2004, 12:44 AM
5 yr 65 million? Wow... So if a PG is worth that much how much is an All Star center worth? :P

-Bball :D

kerosene
07-02-2004, 02:00 AM
And Dallas uses their MLE to lock up Daniels:

Mavs make sure to hang on to Daniels
Dallas beats potential suitors to coveted restricted free agent

11:47 PM CDT on Thursday, July 1, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

FORT WORTH - The big one got away. But the other big one isn't going to.

The Mavericks have reached an agreement on a new contract with restricted free agent Marquis Daniels. The number of years was not immediately known, but a Mavericks source said Daniels will receive most, if not all, of the midlevel exception, expected to be about $5 million.

More Mavericks
If the deal is for three years with 12.5 percent raises each year, that would put the total contract worth almost $17 million.

"We feel very good about the situation with Marquis," said Donnie Nelson, president of basketball operations. "By the 14th [of July], we should have things pretty well done."

Daniels made the Mavericks as an undrafted free agent last season. By the end of the season, he was a starter. His new contract represents a huge pay raise over the $360,000 he made as a rookie.

Earlier in the day, Daniels' agent, Glenn Schwartzman, said the midlevel exception was what his client was looking for.

"Some of the teams we've heard from are the teams with the most to spend under the cap," Schwartzman said. "But if someone were to come quickly with the full midlevel exception, we'd probably be inclined to sign the offer sheet and bring things to a quicker conclusion."

Meanwhile, news that Steve Nash had agreed to a deal with the Phoenix Suns sent shock waves through the Mavs' organization.

"It's a huge loss," said Josh Howard, who played for the Mavericks' summer league team in an exhibition against China on Thursday night at TCU's Daniel-Meyer Coliseum. "There's going to be a big piece missing. It's like your little brother going away."

Devin Harris, now No. 1 on the point guard depth chart, said he is disappointed about not having the opportunity to learn from Nash.

"Stuff happens," Harris said. "He's a key piece and he's going to be missed."

Howard was asked after the exhibition, in which Harris showed flashes of why he was made the No. 5 overall pick last week, if the rookie has what it takes to step in.

"He's going to have to learn," Howard said. "There's no choice. He has the ability."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/070204dnspomavssider.bb20e.html

Hicks
07-02-2004, 02:22 AM
If that last article doesn't make it sound like a done deal, I don't know what does.

Just because the ink hasn't been dried yet doesn't mean it's done anyway; just not official yet.

indygeezer
07-02-2004, 07:00 AM
That does bolex the Kobe to Phoenix talk and REALLY puts Cuban in a pickle. HE now has NO chip to offer the Lakers except Dirk.

Time to see what Mark has....just how bad do you want Shaq, Mark???

SycamoreKen
07-02-2004, 10:05 AM
Well, obviously the Suns are going to run, run, and run some more if Nash stays healthy. One interesting thing is that he never gave the Spurs the same fits that Maurbery did. Cut of Nash's dribbling all over the place and you can limit his effectiveness.

BillS
07-02-2004, 10:31 AM
If you're Dallas, do you try to do a sign and trade to get Pollard ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H something back?

une
07-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Maybe this is the ultimate smokescreen. Maybe they are doing this to try and get the Lakers off their tale. Convince them that no one can stop them from resigning Kobe, so they lower their defenses a bit and stop trying so hard to please Kobe. But, while the Lakers are being all lackadaisical the Suns steal Kobe away and leave Nash on the wayside.

Or maybe this is just a stupid move.

-Une

recap
07-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Maybe this is the ultimate smokescreen. Maybe they are doing this to try and get the Lakers off their tale. Convince them that no one can stop them from resigning Kobe, so they lower their defenses a bit and stop trying so hard to please Kobe. But, while the Lakers are being all lackadaisical the Suns steal Kobe away and leave Nash on the wayside.

Or maybe this is just a stupid move.

-Une

Definitely, just a stupid move.:D

Pig Nash
07-02-2004, 06:27 PM
i gotta agree with Recap on this one.

Mourning
07-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Absolutely a dumb move! Nash isnt that effective at the end of the season with more quality options to distribute the ball too than he will have in Phoenix. So, he will pull a heavier weight and I would guess the Suns will see him regress even more at the end of the season playing for them. Besides 15+ mil when he's like 35? For a point guard and not even the best now, let stand when he will be older and his game which relies a lot on speed too, becomes harder for him.

I think the Suns just got their own Waterloo (or should I say Houston:confused::laugh::laugh::laugh:).

I dont mind though this increases the chance that the Clippers will get Bryant instead of the Suns, result: the Clippers will let Quentin go pretty easily and when Kobe does come to the LAC, Shaq is more likely to stay in Lakerland, which is good as the balance of power in the west than won't move to much to one team as it would with Shaq in Dallas, increasing our own chances.

Regards,

Mourning:cool:

Hoop
07-02-2004, 10:21 PM
The Suns are absolutely stupid. They had Nash for his first 2 years and didn't feel like he was worth keeping. Now that his better years are behind him they want to pay him insane money. :hmm:

Anthem
07-03-2004, 12:30 PM
I'll say it again. If this was what they wanted, why the heck didn't they keep their draft pick?

pacerwaala
07-04-2004, 12:38 AM
they probably overpaid by 10-12 million over the whole contract but that is the cost of luring him from Cuban. They are getting a quality guy who will give 14 points and 8 assists, be a three point threat. With Amari being a 20, 10 guy and Shawn Marion putting up 18 and 10 the Suns are in good shape. Phoenix had talent and also had Marbury who does not know when to shoot and when to pass. Nash will do that and he does not have any off court issues. They have Joe Johnson also who is decent.

My take is they do not want to waste Amari and Marion's talents and so bought in Nash to guid drive the offense. i think it is a good move.

Natston
07-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Why would you work so hard to acquire so much cap space and otions to use most of it on a second tier PG? I can't say that they are better talent wise with Nash instead of Starbury...

Anthem
07-04-2004, 11:48 PM
Especially when Starbury's contract was quite a bit shorter...

I mean, Nash will be almost Reggie's age when that contract runs out. Albatross.