PDA

View Full Version : Coach K leaving Duke to coach...the Lakers?!

Shade
07-01-2004, 05:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1832934

Looks like I'll be hating the Lakers for many more years... :mad:

Lord Helmet
07-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Yea they just had breaking news on the ESPN bottomline saying that.

ABADays
07-01-2004, 07:16 PM
There is no way this would happen!

Snickers
07-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Well, should he take the job? :whoknows:

ChicagoJ
07-01-2004, 07:37 PM
I doubt he takes the job. I don't think he can handle the pro game after so many years at the semi-pro level.

I think he's just looking for financial leverage with Duke.

Hoop
07-01-2004, 08:03 PM
He'd be stupid to leave Duke, just like Pitino was stupid to leave Kentucky years ago.

Big name college coaches have it made, they get the best talent, they win 20 games a year in there sleep. They are final 4 threats most every year. They make tons of money and have all most zero chance of geting fired.

Young
07-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Coach K is one of the greatest coaches ever, in all of sports period. Why hurt that chance for the Lakers who Shaq does not want to play for and Kobe doesn't know if he will be there?

One coach who has made the transition successfuly is Larry Brown but that is because he is a teacher more than a x-o coach, if you know what I mean.

Shade
07-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Whatever happened to Rudy T, anyway? :shrug:

Kegboy
07-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Whatever happened to Rudy T, anyway? :shrug:

Good question. I could have sworn reading somewhere that they were locking him up.

:confused:
---
:duel:

Stryder
07-01-2004, 11:48 PM
The Lakers interviewed Rudy T and he interviewed well. But, they told him that they were going to talk to other coaches before making a decision.

I guess they basically offered the job to Coach K.

The ball is in his court now.

Young
07-01-2004, 11:52 PM
I wonder who wanted Coach K, the actual managment or Kobe Bryant.

Stryder
07-02-2004, 12:01 AM

I'm not sure, but the weasel Jim Grey just stated on ESPN that Kobe has said he would like Coach K to step in...

Young
07-02-2004, 12:10 AM

I'm not sure, but the weasel Jim Grey just stated on ESPN that Kobe has said he would like Coach K to step in...

This is a good sign, it means Kobe is im charge of the Lakers even when he is not signed.

Buss, your an idioit. It will be a long time before your Lakers ever win another tittle, the Clippers will win before you if, if this stuff is true about you putting your franchise into Kobe's hands.

Keep it up though, I am loving nothing more than to see your pathetic Lakers going downhill and fast.

indygeezer
07-02-2004, 06:49 AM
Lesseeee....

Coach K leaves Duke to coach Lakers....
Larry Brown leaves Pistons to coach Duke.....
Kobe and the crew rebel under Coach K and after 1 year
Coach K is fired by the Lakers.
Coach K returns to college coaching, replacing the newly fired Mike Brown at IU....

Works for me!! :bananadance::champagne::bananadance:

Fool
07-02-2004, 08:12 AM
If Coach K leaves Duke he won't go back to college, should he fail in the pros. 1) He's too old. 2) Duke wouldn't hire him back (not that they wouldn't want to but you can't just let coaches leave and come back whenever they feel the urge) plus I don't think Coach K would put Duke in that situation. 3) Why would he want to start over at a new university?

As for who would replace him at Duke. Larry Brown is a Dean Smith disciple. A North Carolina guy, he would not go to Duke. Initial thoughts are that perhaps Tommy Amacer (I can say it but I don't know how to spell it) the coach of Michigan would be looked at. He's a Duke guy and already proven he can be a head coach (he's done well at Michigan given all the penalties and restrictions they have been under for the Webber thing).

I say he is insane to go to L.A. with how unsettled everything is there and how sweet he has things in Duke. However, if he wants to make himself an even bigger legend the pros are the only way he can do it.

ABADays
07-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Brown at Duke!!! He would rather die!

indygeezer
07-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Brown at Duke!!! He would rather die!

Aw, I was just havin' some fun. Give our Piston fans a startle, ya know? My purpose was to bring Coach K back to IU where he started.