PDA

View Full Version : Mike Kahn says we're going after several FAs

Zesty
07-01-2004, 02:50 PM
I know this is all/mostly speculation on his part, but he mentions the Pacers a lot in this article.

Now it starts to change fast and furious.

On July 1, teams and free agents get serious.

On July 14, the contracts and the trades begin to fly.

Welcome to the summer season of the NBA, when general managers earn their money or lose their jobs. Whereas the NBA Draft is when the 30 teams check each other's temperatures, this is when they ultimately make each other sick.

"The draft is still important," Indiana Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said. "But in the summer, that's when you make your team better and hope you don't make it worse."

Granted, the Dallas Mavericks already have let everybody know they are heading into this offseason blazing. They shipped out Antawn Jamison for Jerry Stackhouse, Christian Laettner and the rights to rookie point guard Devin Harris. And they also traded a future pick to Utah for the rights to 7-5 center Pavel Podkolzine. Of course, it's all supposed to be a precursor to their pitch to the Los Angeles Lakers for the Big Uneasy, Shaquille O'Neal.

But a lot of things have to happen before the Lakers can even consider trading Psychedelic Shaq.

"It's going to be an interesting summer, that's for sure," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said.

Which is about as loaded a statement as someone in his position can possibly make considering coach Phil Jackson has hit the road, Karl Malone will presumably retire, Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher have opted out of their contracts, Gary Payton has opted in, and O'Neal wants out.

And while that remains a hot topic of debate, already we know the big trade between Orlando and Houston that was nearly talked right out of happening, finally went down Tuesday and kicked off the NBA summer season.

With Tracy McGrady making it clear he would opt out of his contract next summer, it forced the hapless Orlando Magic to shop him to the most intriguing bidder. The Houston Rockets won out with Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato in exchange for McGrady, Juwan Howard, Reece Gaines and Tyronn Lue.

But that's just the beginning of a time when careers are often lost and found. If the draft is now about the kids entertaining life in the NBA, the summer season is about the adults trying to maintain it.

You can count on the likes of New York Knicks president Isiah Thomas and Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge challenging the Mavs as the most active teams over the salary cap this summer. Memphis Grizzlies president Jerry West also is sitting very quietly with a load of talent, and that's when he's always most dangerous.

But when you have teams like the Denver Nuggets, Utah Jazz, Los Angeles Clippers, Atlanta Hawks and Phoenix Suns all with maximum contract signing ability under the salary cap, anything and everything is possible as the general managers become more and more comfortable with the rules of thumb.

"We always talk about how you have to take risks if you want to make a big deal," said Joe Dumars, the president of the world champion Detroit Pistons. "But you don't want to do anything stupid. There are no guarantees, so there's a fine line you have to walk."

Very fine indeed, and with that said, let's take a look at the most attractive 15 free agents available, some restricted will be excluded or rated down because of the likelihood of their teams matching any contract offer:

1. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers: He's unrestricted, he's on trial for sexual assault and he'll probably stay with the Lakers. But the Clippers are a definite option and the Suns are sleepers in all of this.

2. Rasheed Wallace, Detroit Pistons: He's also unrestricted. Yes, he and Thomas have had a lovefest about the possibilities of New York, but he earned a championship with the Pistons, who can offer him the moon and the Knicks cannot.

3. Erick Dampier, Golden State Warriors: He's unrestricted and coming off his best season, averaging a double-double. The Grizzlies have made the strongest overtures through a sign-and-trade prospect, the Pacers want him back and the Nuggets are interested, but the Hawks might just overpay him silly numbers.

4. Steve Nash, Dallas Mavericks: Unrestricted, and the Suns have been all over him, but the Mavs might re-sign him, or they could sign and trade him to the Lakers as a key component to the O'Neal trade. Considering the Mavs got Devin Harris in the draft, the possibility of him leaving increases.

5. Marcus Camby, Denver Nuggets: Although he opted out of his contract, most people believe he wants to stay put with the Nuggets. He likes coach Jeff Bzdelik and his teammates, and he even stayed healthier than in what seems a lifetime. But the Hawks could come strong if they don't get Dampier.

6. Mehmet Okur, Detroit Pistons: He's restricted, but because he was a second-round pick, the Pistons can't match anything over the mid-level exception. And his agent has been talking about the Suns for what seems like months. Chances are he's headed to the Valley of the Suns.

7. Stephen Jackson, Atlanta Hawks: The man who screwed up the most last summer -- turning down a huge contract to stay in San Antonio -- then finding out he had no market, could be headed back to the Spurs. They need him, and now he may realize ... he needs them.

8. Jamal Crawford, Chicago Bulls: The Bulls gave him the qualifying offer, but anything above the mid-level they won't match. And considering they drafted Ben Gordon, Crawford is prime sign-and-trade material in any number of combinations. His hometown Sonics are still interested.

9. Mark Blount, Boston Celtics: One of the most improved players in the league the past couple of seasons, he blocks shots and rebounds, and won't cost a fortune. He seems destined for Florida, with Miami the front-runner, and Orlando not far behind. But the Celtics may fight for him.

10. Brent Barry, Seattle SuperSonics: He wanted to stay with the Sonics, but they have no interest in a four-year deal that his agent claims is the market. He's 32 and injury prone, but he's extremely effective at both guard spots, a high-percentage shooter and the Pacers, Nuggets, Spurs, Blazers and Lakers are just five of the teams that are interested.

11. Derek Fisher, Los Angeles Lakers: The Lakers' X-factor now has the opportunity to venture out on his own. He was extremely aggravated by the selfishness on the team this season. He would fit great in Indiana, Houston or Portland.

12. Troy Hudson, Minnesota Timberwolves: Coming off a frustrating year in which an ankle sprain limited him to 29 games, his value will be interesting. An instant offense point guard, it's doubtful he's worth anywhere near as much to another team than the 'Wolves. The Suns could make a play if they don't get Bryant, Nash or Fisher.

13. Quentin Richardson, Los Angeles Clippers: Q is a restricted free agent, meaning the Clippers can match any offer. But they are so hot to trot for Bryant they might just let him go if Bryant is serious. So he'll entertain other offers while they go after Bryant and he'd be a great steal for the Nuggets, who are loaded with cap space, or the Pacers if they give him the mid-level for six years.

14. Rodney White, Denver Nuggets: He's a very young and interesting talent who hasn't worked out for the Pistons or Nuggets. But he's got size, range and skills. If somebody can get through to him, he could come cheap and be a steal. The Blazers, Nets, Rockets and Hornets are possibilities.

15. Rafer Alston, Miami Heat: Now we'll see how much Skip-to-ma-Lou has increased in value now that the Heat did so well in the playoffs and he helped get them there. But he didn't help very much in the postseason, and his limitations are still obvious. He's most likely to stay put, but teams like the Nets, Pacers, Raptors, Suns and Rockets will take a peek.

Ragnar
07-01-2004, 03:01 PM
freaking double post

Ragnar
07-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Man I dont want Fisher. Richardson would be great I just dont see us adding payroll without dumping some. I would love to see us sign him to the midlevel and trade Pollard for nothing to the Nuggets or Jazz. The Jazz have to realize they just are not going to get anyone on their own and that taking contracts is the only way they could get good players. Pollard will be ending after this year and would be valuable again.

Young
07-01-2004, 03:11 PM
I'm suprised we are going after Fisher, Alston because we still have Johnson, Brewer, and the recently drafted Rashard Wright.

I think we should stay away from Dampier. We drafted David Harrison and it is becoming painfuly ovbiously that Dampier will be demanding way to much money.

Hicks
07-01-2004, 03:19 PM
It didn't say we're going for Fisher or Alston. Just that they could fit here.

Snickers
07-01-2004, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Alston, but something tells me Fisher won't be nearly as good without Shaq and Kobe. Just a hunch.

Don't want Dampier. QRichardson would be great.

Will Galen
07-01-2004, 03:39 PM
:link:

Ragnar
07-01-2004, 03:49 PM
Will are you looking for the Denver link?
<br><br>
If so here you go.
<br><br>
<a href="http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~90~2245441,00.html">Denver Post Article</a>
<br><br>
Sources close to the Nuggets said the team arranged late Wednesday night to bring in three free agents to visit before the weekend - <b>Quentin Richardson</b> and Darius Miles today and Manu Ginobili on Friday. All three are restricted, meaning their old teams can match any offer sheet the players sign with another team.
<br><br>
Today is the first day teams can contact free agents.

Richardson, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard, and Miles, a 6-9 swingman, were teammates with the Los Angeles Clippers before Miles was twice traded - first to Cleveland, then to Portland. The two remain friends and share an agent, Jeff Wechsler, who declined Wednesday to comment about their pending free agency.

<br><br>

<b>Richardson has stated his first preference is to stay with the Clippers, but his status could be determined by how aggressively his team pursues the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant, another shooting guard. The DePaul product had a breakthrough year with the Clippers, averaging 17.2 points and 6.4 rebounds.</b>
<br><br>
Miles averaged 10.9 points and 4.5 rebounds while shooting 48.5 percent with the Cavaliers and Trail Blazers in 2003-04.
<br><br>
Those two will have their suitors, but Ginobili is considered one of the main prizes of this year's free-agent class. The 6-6 shooting guard scored 12.8 points per game and ranked seventh in the NBA with 1.8 steals with San Antonio.
<br><br>
As for the Nuggets' top internal free-agent priority, Marcus Camby, at least one outside observer suggested he probably would not leave Denver.
<br><br>
"I like Marcus, but Denver wants to keep him," New York Knicks president of basketball operations Isiah Thomas said. "I don't think I can compete with them unless Marcus says he wants to leave. I don't think he is of that mind-set. All indications are that he is happy and wants to re-sign."

Free agents cannot sign until July 14.

<br><br>
Footnotes
Bill Duffy, one of Carmelo Anthony's representatives, on the prospect of Anthony helping recruit potential free agents: "He's young, just 20 years old. He can't be an experienced spokesperson. But he can say it's great to be there and he wants to win. But that's a lot of responsibility for a young guy." ... Outgoing Denver assistant T.R. Dunn said Wednesday he is leaving for a similar position with the Sacramento Kings "on good terms." Dunn had implied his departure had been general manager Kiki Vandeweghe's decision and that he was disappointed to be going. "I just think maybe we should have communicated with each other better," Dunn said. "I just wanted to end on a good note, and I did with Keek and (coach) Jeff (Bzdelik). "

Staff writer Marc J. Spears contributed to this story.

Adam Thompson can be reached at 303-820-5447 or athompson@denverpost.com .

RA231
07-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Getting Quentin Richarson as a Free Agent would be great. I would still trade Al for a center upgrade. I would trade Al and Scot for Dampier, but thats just me. We need an upgrade at center, we got killed on the boards in the playoffs and was 19th in rebounds per game last year. What about Dalemburt? I know he is going to be a star.

Zesty
07-01-2004, 04:41 PM
:link:

The link to the article I posted is right here (http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/7460804).

Mourning
07-01-2004, 04:56 PM
"10. Brent Barry, Seattle SuperSonics: He wanted to stay with the Sonics, but they have no interest in a four-year deal that his agent claims is the market. He's 32 and injury prone, but he's extremely effective at both guard spots, a high-percentage shooter and the PACERS, Nuggets, Spurs, Blazers and Lakers are just five of the teams that are interested."

My man Barry!!!:D:D:D

Regards,

Mourning:cool:

Mourning
07-01-2004, 04:57 PM
We arent going to get Dalembert! Philly loves him too much for us to get him, unfortunately.

Regards,

MSA2CF
07-01-2004, 04:59 PM
Pollard will be ending after this year and would be valuable again.

Ending what? If you are referring to his contract, it would not end after this upcoming season. His contract runs through 2005/06.

Ragnar
07-01-2004, 05:28 PM
I said after this coming season he will be an ending deal. If his deal ended in 04/05 he would be an ending deal right now and would have trade value for us. But that wont come untill next year.

My point is that Utah might be willing to take him for a year in the hope that next year he will be valuable in trade for a player with a longer term deal. If nothing else they get a 7 footer for two season.

If we could dump him on Utah (who has said in the past that they know to get players they are going to have to trade for them because it is hard to get an NBA player to want to live in Utah.) We could either use the trade exeption with a team wanting to dump payroll or just save the money to spend on the mid level.

Edit --- Fox example the Clippers dont like sign and trades but they might do one where they are getting nothing in return but the cap space.

Lord Helmet
07-03-2004, 02:26 AM
What about Jamal Crawford?

DrBadd01
07-03-2004, 11:36 AM
I said after this coming season he will be an ending deal. If his deal ended in 04/05 he would be an ending deal right now and would have trade value for us. But that wont come untill next year.

My point is that Utah might be willing to take him for a year in the hope that next year he will be valuable in trade for a player with a longer term deal. If nothing else they get a 7 footer for two season.

If we could dump him on Utah (who has said in the past that they know to get players they are going to have to trade for them because it is hard to get an NBA player to want to live in Utah.) We could either use the trade exeption with a team wanting to dump payroll or just save the money to spend on the mid level.

Edit --- Fox example the Clippers dont like sign and trades but they might do one where they are getting nothing in return but the cap space.

I like this Idea.

Pollard went to high school in Salt Lake and wouldn't be opposed to playing in SLC. Besides with the Jazz likely not resigning Greg Ostertag they would need a 7 footer to fill his shoes. Rumor has it that Ostertag wants to go to Dallas.

I would also like the Pacers to get Crawford.

I really think that he could become the Pacers SG of the Future, and he easier to get than say Paul Pierce or Ray Allen.

Pig Nash
07-03-2004, 11:48 AM
I'd like to get Damon Jones.

Anthem
07-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Blount and Q-Rich, baby. Blount and Q-Rich.

bulletproof
07-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Blount and Q. Rich would make us formidable indeed.

Tinsley/AJ/Wright/Brewer
Q. Rich/Reggie
Artest/Bender
JO/Croshere
Blount/Foster/Harrison

:shudder:

Why am I torturing myself like this? We'll sit idly by and watch other teams sign these guys while we simply make a tweak or two to keep us competitive and keep that trophy just out of our reach. :mad:

Anthem
07-03-2004, 01:30 PM
The thing is, it's so do-able. We could almost definately get Blount and Adkins for Croshere. We could offer the MLE to Q-Rich, who'd be stupid to go anywhere else. If the Clippers match, then we start working on an Al/Chucky/Pollard deal for Ray Allen.

Pig Nash
07-03-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm still kind of confused on why you think we'll be able to get Blount and Chucky just for Croshere.

Anthem
07-03-2004, 01:53 PM
It's not Blount and Chucky, it's Chucky. Blount is leaving anyway. Think "Brad Miller."

Besides, Croshere is white, Ainge likes him, and Red said he'd be a starter for their team.

Hicks
07-03-2004, 01:53 PM
I'm still kind of confused on why you think we'll be able to get Blount and Chucky just for Croshere.

Same here. Not even Ainge is gonna do that.

Hicks
07-03-2004, 01:54 PM
It's not Blount and Chucky, it's Chucky. Blount is leaving anyway. Think "Brad Miller."

Besides, Croshere is white, Ainge likes him, and Red said he'd be a starter for their team.

Well I hope you're right, even though I won't be holding my breath.

Pig Nash
07-03-2004, 04:13 PM
I think all of us hope he's right.

Hoop
07-03-2004, 04:24 PM
Blount and Q-Rich, baby. Blount and Q-Rich.

That is at the top of my wish list also. 2 needs could be filled and we would not have to break the bank to do it.

Snickers
07-03-2004, 04:27 PM
I already liked Blount a lot, but I'm looking at his stats now and I really want him....

10 points, 7 boards, 57% and 72% from the field and line, respectively, and over 1 block per game.

If we can sign him, and if Harrison turns out to be anything worthwhile, we'll have, dare I say it, a well-stocked rotation of big men. :o

Pig Nash
07-03-2004, 04:28 PM
Yeah, i agree this is the best case scenario but there are alternatives.

Mourning
07-03-2004, 04:31 PM
I see Q-Rich going to Denver unless they foolishly do a Steve Cash such as Phoenix did, but with another player they want BAD, such as Kenyon Martin.

Regards,