PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Miller will return for 18th season

MagicRat
06-30-2004, 11:47 PM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/159029-6527-102.html

Mark Montieth
mark.montieth@indystar.com
June 30, 2004

Indiana Pacers guard Reggie Miller confirmed his intention to return for an 18th season during an appearance on The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn today.

One year ago, Miller said he planned to play two more seasons, and had said nothing since to indicate a change of heart. But his refusal to answer a question about his plans after the Pacers were eliminated by Detroit in the Eastern Conference finals left some doubt.

"We were close this year," Miller told Kilborn. "I'm surrounded by a great nucleus of young players and a fantastic coach in coach (Rick) Carlisle. And I want to go after it one more time."

Miller, who turns 39 in August, is the NBA's 14th all-time leading scorer and the Pacers' all-time leader. He averaged 10 points during the regular season and 10.1 points during the playoffs while accepting a reduced role in the offense.

MagicRat
06-30-2004, 11:51 PM
The show airs at 12:37 a.m. local time (following Letterman), in case you want to set your vcr's, TiVo's, pc tuners, etc.....

Kegboy
06-30-2004, 11:55 PM
I've got high hopes for the interview. Kilborn's a basketball nut. Should have more to ask him than, "So, what do you think of the Lakers?" :rolleyes::unimpressed:
---
:duel:

Lord Helmet
06-30-2004, 11:58 PM
Good I didn't know if I could watch the Pacers without him in the lineup.Well I guess I could but It'd be hard:)

Unclebuck
07-01-2004, 12:01 AM
I've got high hopes for the interview. Kilborn's a basketball nut. Should have more to ask him than, "So, what do you think of the Lakers?" :rolleyes::unimpressed:
---

So true.

I am glad reggie is coming back.

On a side note: ESPN has for the past three days done a series of stories on the Lakers, one day focusing on Kobe, next day on Shaq and then the next day on Phil. I just have to say it is about time the Lakers get some media coverage, :mad:

Snickers
07-01-2004, 12:05 AM
On a side note: ESPN has for the past three days done a series of stories on the Lakers, one day focusing on Kobe, next day on Shaq and then the next day on Phil. I just have to say it is about time the Lakers get some media coverage, :mad:

:laugh: I'm not sure if you meant to type it that way, but that was pretty funny.

But y'know, they are the world champio-- oh wait.... :blush:

MagicRat
07-01-2004, 12:09 AM
---

I'm sure he won't spend 3/4 of the interview talking about hockey, a la Dan Patrick the last time Reggie was on his radio show........:rolleyes::unimpressed::rolleyes::unim pressed:

Kegboy
07-01-2004, 12:14 AM
---

So true.

I am glad reggie is coming back.

That's the one reason I feel alright with not getting past Detroit this year. I would go so completely postal on Bristol if we had won the title and all they talked about was the stinkin' Lakers.
---

tora tora
07-01-2004, 12:27 AM
I wonder why he decided to announce this -after- Mcgrady was traded to Houston.

Kegboy
07-01-2004, 12:29 AM
I wonder why he decided to announce this -after- Mcgrady was traded to Houston.

Probably because it's the first interview he's had. I wouldn't read anything into it.
---

tora tora
07-01-2004, 12:36 AM
this is great news though, it's refreshing to know he's going to come back and try again.. Pacers fans rejoice! :rockon:

Peck
07-01-2004, 12:43 AM
Did anybody really doubt he was coming back?

IMO, it's a mixed bag.

On the one hand Reggie is Reggie.

On the other hand it's past time that the Pacers found a new starting shooting guard. This will just be one more year that we don't. Unless a big trade goes down.

kerosene
07-01-2004, 01:00 AM
You're right Peck. I hope Reggie is ready and willing to play a reduced role (and I'm hoping that would be off the bench though I don't know how that will affect the 2nd unit; depends on moves made). If this Pacers team were to win a championship I would want Reggie to be a part of that team in some way.

I'm sure after Detroit made short work of the Lakers Reggie looked at things and thought "It's wide open for any of the top teams in the league" and the Pacers are one of those top teams.

TMJ31
07-01-2004, 01:12 AM
As always, Reggie is funny as hell in his interviews, and very well spoken of course-- I love the fact that he gets such a positive crowd reaction at the Kilborn show (which is filmed in LA)

I am surprised no one in the crowd (that I saw) had a Pacers jersey on, if I had known he was on a show and I got to go I'd be representin head to toe man!

Thanks for the heads up on Reggie being on the show tonight-- I would not have seen it otherwise

Hicks
07-01-2004, 01:20 AM
Sentimentally I'm glad he's coming back, but damn it I don't want him to hold the team back anymore. I hope something changes in regards to his role.

TMJ31
07-01-2004, 01:32 AM
I still do not see how everyone thinks he is holding the team back.

if thats the argument going around, then you can make the same argument for every other player on the team.

Al holds us back with his selfishness

Ron holds us back with his immaturity

Jamaal holds us back with his inconsistancy

JO even- he holds us back with his inability to pass out of double teams and play through pain

and it gets blatently obvious once you get to the bench.

Bottom line: Everyone has their pros and their cons, I accept Reggie's PROS over his CONS every day of the week and twice on sundays. He is the best player ever of this franchise and he deserves to play till every drop of his 'basketball lifeforce' has been utterly drained.

just my opinion...

Bball
07-01-2004, 01:37 AM
Sentimentally I'm glad he's coming back, but damn it I don't want him to hold the team back anymore. I hope something changes in regards to his role.

:nod::stupid:

Bball

RA231
07-01-2004, 01:52 AM
I am glad Reggie came back, If the front office has a good offseason, I think we will win a championship. Reggie shouldnt be a starter next year. If we dont get another SG, then atleast let Freddie start. Reggie has just taken himslef out of the game when he plays. On offense its like 4 on 5. He has gotten to slower, but his FG% has remained the same though. Reggie needs to hand the starting job over.

Anthem
07-01-2004, 02:15 AM
I am glad Reggie came back, If the front office has a good offseason, I think we will win a championship. Reggie shouldnt be a starter next year.

The problem is, with Reggie coming back, the front office will have a harder time getting together a "good" offseason. We need a quality starting two guard, and as long as Reggie's here they'll be reluctant to go and get one.

tora tora
07-01-2004, 03:24 AM
hate to break your guys' hearts but Reggie is going to start at the 2 no matter what...

tora tora
07-01-2004, 03:40 AM
I noticed Reggie giving Kobe some props on this Craig Kilborn interview.. does anyone have the fight between the two of them on video? It was in LA a couple seasons ago where Kobe took a swing at Reggie, then Reggie picked him up and bodyslammed him on the scorer's table.

skyfire
07-01-2004, 03:59 AM
hurrah for reggie returning. i'm with hicks that I think reggie should be coming off the bench, but as one of the primary scorers for the 2nd unit. he can still shoot it so we should use that to our advantage instead of a decoy for JO and Artest. Having an aggressive 2 guard helps JO and Artest more than having a decoy, whether that is Freddy or someone else. I think we should have the reggie of old, just for shorter bursts. :D

DisplacedKnick
07-01-2004, 08:58 AM
This will be heretical but that's OK.

IMO, if Reggie starts again next year, I think his role in the offense needs to increase. Thye goal needs to be for him to take 10-15 shots/game, no matter what.

I still think he has the ability to fire up in spurts at end of games - but he has so little involvement in the offense that he's hardly even IN the game. When the time comes for him to step up his timing's off and he might as well have spent the game on the bench.

Oh, and TMJ, JO's playing in the last 2 games of the Detroit series should put the JO "playing through pain" discussion to rest. Granted, it'd be nice if he didn't lay on the court and scream like a girl whenever he twists something, but he always seems to get back on the floor.

Unclebuck
07-01-2004, 09:08 AM
I must say the idea that Reggie is "holding the team back" is absurd.

First I am not 100% sure what you mean when you say that.

What if Reggie was not on the team this past season Fred Jones could have been a 20 pts per game scorer. I like Fred as much as anyone, well almost anyone, but it took Fred a couple of months to work his way into his role as a valuable bench player.

I guess I would like a specific example of Reggie holding the team bacl.

ChicagoJ
07-01-2004, 09:41 AM
I think there are two interpretations.

One, out of reverence for Reggie, management isn't bringing in his long-term successor, leaving us weak at SG vs. the rest of the league. Not so much Reggie's fault, but *if* this is true then the sooner he retires the sooner we can upgrade the SG position.

Two, at his age, Reggie can only bring his "A" game once every couple of weeks. Granted, when he brings it (such as the game in NYC last season), its beautiful. But you can't deny that it holds the team back when they don't know what to expect from one of thier starters.

Other teams don't 'fear Reggie' anymore. They'll sag off of him until he proves that he's 'hot'.

Suaveness
07-01-2004, 09:52 AM
JO even- he holds us back with his inability to play through pain

How can you even say that with a straight face? If anything, JO proved in the Detroit series that he could. He came back and played through that nasty looking sprain he got. I'd say that is pretty amazing.

And I would say Tinsley has been one of the more consistant players on this team. He is running the offense so much better this year, and in the Detroit series, he took his game up another notch. If he weren't for him getting hurt badly, he would have been the difference maker.

Unclebuck
07-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Jay, I think we have discussed this before, but I have not seen teams sag off Reggie. Rip was glued to him, before that eddie jones was, and before that Pierce was. Teams do not leave Reggie. Reggie used to be able to still get open, but he has a lot more trouble getting open now.

So the theory is if Reggie would only retire the Pacers then would go out and get his replacement. I don't buy that theory either. Pacers know they have too mnay small forwards, Rick has said that all season long, they wil rectify that this summer, and whether Regie is playing next year or not doe snot effect that

SkipperZ
07-01-2004, 10:14 AM
I think there are two interpretations.

One, out of reverence for Reggie, management isn't bringing in his long-term successor, leaving us weak at SG vs. the rest of the league. Not so much Reggie's fault, but *if* this is true then the sooner he retires the sooner we can upgrade the SG position.

Two, at his age, Reggie can only bring his "A" game once every couple of weeks. Granted, when he brings it (such as the game in NYC last season), its beautiful. But you can't deny that it holds the team back when they don't know what to expect from one of thier starters.

Other teams don't 'fear Reggie' anymore. They'll sag off of him until he proves that he's 'hot'.

I think management has shownt that they will try to get a successor to Reggie. I think going after Tmac showed that they will aggressively pursue a shooting guard this summer, whether or not they find one during the offseason.

Bball
07-01-2004, 10:23 AM
I think management has shownt that they will try to get a successor to Reggie. I think going after Tmac showed that they will aggressively pursue a shooting guard this summer, whether or not they find one during the offseason.

I think all management has shown is they'll pay some lip service to finding Reggie's replacement. They've yet to show they are -aggressively- pursuing anyone.

If the best offer for TMac was Artest, Bender, and Jones then I don't know how aggressive that actually was. That seems more like just taking a stab at it and hoping Artest makes the difference.

Until training camp starts, IMHO, the jury is still out.

-Bball

MSA2CF
07-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Not so much Reggie's fault, but *if* this is true then the sooner he retires the sooner we can upgrade the SG position.

Are you more worried about upgrading the SG position or winning a championship? The Pacers were two games won away from being in the 2004 NBA Finals with Reggie.

But you can't deny that it holds the team back when they don't know what to expect from one of thier starters.

I think you could ask every one of the Pacers/coaching staff, in crunch time in a close game, who they know would want to take the big shot, and would make it, and they would all have the same answer. Reggie. They know he comes up big in the clutch, which is the most important part of any game. They know he may not be able to do what he used to anymore, but they know that when the team needs bailing out, Reggie is there.

They may not fear him, but they still respect him. If they weren't on him, then he would have many more wide-open looks. I don't know about you, Jay, but I don't often see Reggie wide open, unless it's because he's fought off his man. If you watch Reggie an entire game, you can see he is almost always running around the baseline trying to shake off his man.

Bball:
I think all management has shown is they'll pay some lip service to finding Reggie's replacement. They've yet to show they are -aggressively- pursuing anyone.

That may be, but have the Pacers ever pursued someone aggressively? This really isn't the most dire situation here, so I don't expect them to panic and go get someone for the sake of getting someone.
=========================

A quote from another thread:

I think that if Reggie realizes that he must, must, must, must, must shoot the ball when he has the chances and realizes that this is probably going to be his last chance at a ring, he can be very effective and be the same Reggie found in the 2001/2002 playoffs.
edit: Reggie doing his job is probably "what" is on the Pacers' most wanted list.

MSA2CF
07-01-2004, 11:10 AM
I have one question I'd like to ask.

Which do you want more: Winning a ring for Reggie this year or winning two championships after he retires/is no longer part of the organization?

Bball
07-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Bball:

That may be, but have the Pacers ever pursued someone aggressively? This really isn't the most dire situation here, so I don't expect them to panic and go get someone for the sake of getting someone.

No they haven't. I'm not sure what to think on this subject. How dire it is depends on how much, if any, slippage you expect from Reggie this year... and how hard you want to try to get over the hump and actually win the championship. Also in that equation, if the answer to Reggie's successor isn't on the team this year then we're fast painting ourselves into a corner.

I still believe out of loyalty the Pacers have in the recent past avoided adding a true quality SG to the team for fear that would create a 'quaterback' controversey. But now Reggie has slipped back to the pack and even Freddie Jones is getting support as a starter over Reggie. While Freddie has shown improvement I think his support has more to do with Reggie's decline than Freddie's ascension.

Also, Croshere's game in Detroit showed how important and outside threat could be. Not just a decoy. So, IMHO it is time for the Pacers to get serious about a 2 guard even if that creates a potential conflict with fans and coaches.

-Bball

SkipperZ
07-01-2004, 11:43 AM

If the best offer for TMac was Artest, Bender, and Jones then I don't know how aggressive that actually was. That seems more like just taking a stab at it and hoping Artest makes the difference.

Until training camp starts, IMHO, the jury is still out.

-Bball

Theres a difference between Houston aggressive and Indiana aggressive. Indiana took a stab at it, but they dont want to dismantle a team that was 2 wins away from the finals. If they had offered more, honestly it would have been too much. One of bender artest and harrington needs to stay to maintain some stability in the starting lineup IMO.

Houston on the other hand was going nowhere with the team they had, and could afford to dismantle their team to take a stab at the Yao-McGrady combo.

So not only do i think reggie is not holding them back in taht respect, I'm actually pretty happy with how the offseason is going. They will still make stabs at other available sgs, while trying to maintain the cohesiveness of the team. And thats as aggressive as I would want them to be. You dont want to be on the wrong end of a Rose for Brad and Ron trade.

MSA2CF
07-01-2004, 12:10 PM
I agree with you, SkipperZ. I think the Pacers are likely to sign another veteran with 3-point capability, someone like Steve Smith. That gives me an idea: Harrington for David Wesley....:hmm:

This offseason will not be a very active one for us, most likely, but it will be a good one.

ChicagoJ
07-01-2004, 12:28 PM
Steve Smith is even more washed up than Reggie. I can't decide if I should take you seriously now. I'm waiting for you to suggest that Tank Thompson could help the Pacers improve thier low-post defense. :D

David Wesley's claim to fame is the number of triple-doubles he's allowed as a defender. Your boy Mark Jackson used to earn all of his incentives just by playing against Wesley.

MSA2CF
07-01-2004, 12:31 PM
David Wesley is a sharp 3-pointer shooter, from what I've seen. He's a veteran &, supposedly, 3-point shooting spreads the defense, which is what I've heard from a lot of posters is what we need. That's why I suggested David.

And the Steve Smith suggestion come from the fact that the Pacers don't usually go after higher-priced FAs, the want for a 3-point shooter, and a possible desire for another veteran.

Will Galen
07-01-2004, 12:39 PM

Is that a prediction?

The reason Reggie starts is teams are afraid to sag off of him, hence he opens up the offense. If they trade for someone that can really shoot, Reggie will probably come off the bench.

If they don't pick anyone up, Reggie will start before Fred, and he should. Sure Fred's a better defender, but team defense covers for Reggie, whereas Fred can't shoot well enough to open up the offense.

Roy Munson
07-01-2004, 12:45 PM

Is that a prediction?

The reason Reggie starts is teams are afraid to sag off of him, hence he opens up the offense. If they trade for someone that can really shoot, Reggie will probably come off the bench.

If they don't pick anyone up, Reggie will start before Fred, and he should. Sure Fred's a better defender, but team defense covers for Reggie, whereas Fred can't shoot well enough to open up the offense.

Freddy shot better than Reggie the second half of the season and playoffs.

Shade
07-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Cool. Now we can give him the proper sendoff -- :trophy:. :cool:

beast23
07-01-2004, 02:09 PM
I won't get into whether Reggie should start or not.

The bottom line is that we need an SG that is willing to take and make perimeter shots. Not just 7-8 shots a game. But maybe 12-14 shots per game.

And if Reggie is not willing or able to do that, then whether he starts or not, we need a second SG that will play more minutes a game than Reggie.

If Reggie can't do get it done, and Carlisle wants to give Reggie the ceremonial start, then so be it. The second SG would still get more minutes..... and our team would still get what it needs.

SkipperZ
07-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Take this however you want, but ...

http://www.82games.com/0304INDH.HTM

Now I dont know what PER is, but Reggie was 3rd on the team last year during the reg season in PER difference.

but what I do know is what On Court/Off Court means, and that is the points per 48 min that a teams scores while a player is on or off the court. And Reggie's Net on/off rating is first on the team. No other player had more affect on the Indiana pacer's plus minus as a team than Reggie Miller.

Sure there are other factors, such as Reggie usually played with the starters, and Jermaine's might be low because he plays so many minutes, or becuase he will stay in the game even if the bench comes in, etc., but bottom line is when Reggie was on the court the team per 48 minutes scored 10.7 points more than their opponent, and when he was off the court the team scored 1 point less than the opponent. Thats impressive no matter how you look at it considering Reggie is supposedly such a detriment to the team and that this team cant go anywhere with such a liability on the court.

As for the playoffs, this number dropped to +3.5, but was still good for 4th on the team. (Freddie placed second, and Artest placed 7th as the two surprises).

In the entire league in averaging PER and off/on numbers, reggie placed 13th behind some damn good players. (http://www.82games.com/peronoff.htm). He placed 8th in the league in Net On/Off numbers.

granted these are just stats, but I feel that they are a good argument against the "Reggie's done" crowd who think this team is doomed that he didnt retire.

Kegboy
07-01-2004, 03:21 PM

Is that a prediction?

Only because defenders don't respect Fred's shot. When was the last time you saw Reggie standing around unguarded. :unimpressed:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The way this team is constructed, we don't need an All-Star at the two. Our offense doesn't revolve around double screening shooters, it's about getting the ball into the post.

The thinking that we NEED to get a TMac, Pierce, Jesus, whatever is absurd. Not only that, but it would be detrimental to our team, because to do so we'd have to gut our roster in the process. All we need is a decent shooter to spread the defense and be a third option on offense. I fully expect us to trade Al to get someone who fills that role.
---

Roy Munson
07-01-2004, 04:55 PM

Is that a prediction?

Only because defenders don't respect Fred's shot. When was the last time you saw Reggie standing around unguarded. :unimpressed:

---

Defenders have to sag off Freddy a little bit or he will blow by them when he gets the ball. Defenders can get right up in Reggie's face (and they do) because they know he's know going around them.

MSA2CF
07-01-2004, 06:11 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/7465507

Carlisle: Miller's decision bolsters Pacers position in free agency

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana coach Rick Carlisle wasn't surprised by Reggie Miller's decision to return for an 18th season. He even believes the move will help the Pacers in the free-agent market.

"I think any free agent out there would love the opportunity to play with Reggie Miller, at least for a year, especially big people," Carlisle said Thursday. "They know that with a guy like Reggie standing on the outside, it's going to be a lot easier on the inside."

Miller said he would return during an interview on CBS's The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn broadcast early Thursday.

"We were close this year," said Miller, the Pacers' career scoring leader, who has two years left on his contract with Indiana. "I'm surrounded by a great nucleus of young players and a fantastic coach in coach Carlisle.

"And I want to go after it one more time," Miller said as the studio audience in Los Angeles began chanting "Reg-gie! Reg-gie!"

At a news conference Thursday afternoon, Walsh said he expected Miller, who will turn 39 in August, to return all along.

"I'm kinda wondering what all the fuss is about," Walsh said. "I never really doubted that Reggie was coming back. I felt all along that he was coming back and I'm happy about it."

Last month, after Indiana was eliminated by Detroit in the Eastern Conference finals, Miller refused to answer questions about whether he would return.

Taking a reduced role in the offense, Miller averaged 10.1 points during the regular season and 10.0 points in the playoffs last season. He is the NBA's career leader in 3-pointers made and attempted.

Carlisle said earlier this year that Miller had given him no indication he would retire.

"This is good news," Carlisle said. "It gets us headed into summer and into next year on a high note."

Thursday marked the opening of the free-agent signing period, and the Pacers figured to be active, either by signing free agents or making trades.

Walsh targeted a big man and an outside shooter earlier in the spring. The addition of 7-foot, 285-pound Colorado center David Harrison in the first round of the draft certainly helped address one need.

"That was a very fortunate happenstance that we were able to get a player of that caliber and size at (pick No.) 29," Walsh said. "I'm not going to say that changes things, but it's certainly nice to go into this period knowing we've got a team full of players, that were successful last year and there is no pressure to get a particular player. Now we're trying to get players that can improve our team."

Carlisle said, Miller "probably" would start next season.

"The one great thing about Reggie, as a star player and a first-ballot Hall of Famer, is that he's going to be in favor of whatever's best for the team," Carlisle said. "If it turns out to be a situation where it was better for him to come off the bench, I know that he would go along with that."

hoopsforlife
07-01-2004, 07:59 PM
[quote=TMJ31]I still do not see how everyone thinks he is holding the team back.

if thats the argument going around, then you can make the same argument for every other player on the team.

Al holds us back with his selfishness

Ron holds us back with his immaturity

Jamaal holds us back with his inconsistancy

JO even- he holds us back with his inability to pass out of double teams and play through pain

and it gets blatently obvious once you get to the bench.

Yeah, cut'em all and let Donnie sort 'em out...:laugh:

Kegboy
07-01-2004, 10:55 PM

Is that a prediction?

---

Defenders have to sag off Freddy a little bit or he will blow by them when he gets the ball. Defenders can get right up in Reggie's face (and they do) because they know he's know going around them.

I'm not talking about sagging off, I'm talking about plain not guarding him, i.e. doubling off of him.
---

Aw Heck
07-02-2004, 02:49 AM
I liked this part of the article:

Carlisle said, Miller "probably" would start next season.

"The one great thing about Reggie, as a star player and a first-ballot Hall of Famer, is that he's going to be in favor of whatever's best for the team," Carlisle said. "If it turns out to be a situation where it was better for him to come off the bench, I know that he would go along with that."

I hope Carlisle is right. If the Pacers get a starting quality SG, Reggie should most definitely go to the bench.

I'm glad Carlisle doesn't have a "Reggie starts no matter what" attitude.

Peck
07-02-2004, 03:52 AM
Jay, I think we have discussed this before, but I have not seen teams sag off Reggie. Rip was glued to him, before that eddie jones was, and before that Pierce was. Teams do not leave Reggie. Reggie used to be able to still get open, but he has a lot more trouble getting open now.

So the theory is if Reggie would only retire the Pacers then would go out and get his replacement. I don't buy that theory either. Pacers know they have too mnay small forwards, Rick has said that all season long, they wil rectify that this summer, and whether Regie is playing next year or not doe snot effect that

Ok, teams don't sag off of Reggie. They don't leave Artest alone either. During the playoffs Jamaal was sticking three's to start the post season so teams weren't leaving him.

I guess all of the doubles J.O. was getting was coming from Jeff Fosters man.

Join me for a min. Let's you & I travel together to that wonderfull land that you & I both love to live in. It's called the land of defense.

Do you want me to list all of the teams & coach's that actually targeted Miller because of the absolute inability to defend big guards? Or fast guards? Or most guards?

The one game that I came on here & commented on very early in the season (& I might remind you you agreed with me) was the Cavs. game. Silas would just ram the ball at Reggie no matter who he was guarding. If it was James, he abused Reggie. If it was Williams, he abused Reggie.

If nothing happens & we make no moves to bring in another s.g. I still contend that Fred should start. I assure you that if he was given 25-30 min. a game he could give you the whopping 10.0 ppg. that Reggie gave us.

Not to mention killer defense that Reggie cannot give you anymore. Or if we we're being honest with ourselves killer defense that Reggie never gave us.

Now that you & I are soaring about carelessly in the land of defense I invite you to close your eyes & imagine a defensive lineup of Fred, Ron, Jeff, Jermaine & Jamaal. The weakest defender on that team would be Jamaal & he isn't horrid on defense.

Reggie could still come off of the bench & stick the big three. He could still be the spark the team needs.

But the team can no longer afford to have a player who can't shoot (Jeff) a player who isn't great at shooting (Jamaal) & a player that won't shoot (Reggie).

Here in the land of defense we know that offense can be created by this wonderfull ability.

Ok, we're leaving the land of defense now.

Unclebuck
07-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Peck, I love the land of defense, spend quality time there every day.

But I am the one who predicted a few weeks back, right after the Pacers lost to the Pistons, that Reggie would tell the coaches that he wants to come off the bench for the betterment of the team. If the Pacers don't add a another shooting guard and it is just Reg and Fred I still think he will.

Yes I remember that Cavs game in November that you bring up. The Cavs had point guard, and then James and Miles at the 2 and 3, so Reggie had to guard one of them, and he was unable to. Same as the 2003 playoffs, Pacers could not put Reggie on Pierce or Eric Williams. Reggie is terrible against players who are bigger than he is, or those that can post up. Remember how even in his prime Reggie would get posted up by Steve Smith, and score rather easily.

Peck, I contend that Reggie does a decent job against those non-posting up guards. Sure he has trouble against the very quick. Whenever the pacers played the Bucks in the playoffs, Reggie would guard Sam and the Pacers would put Best on Ray Allen.

But I was talking about offensively. teams don't leave him, they double off of Tinsley, he is wide open and is allowed to take any three he wants.

Let me state again, I have no problem with Reggie coming off the bench. But Fred was no where near ready to start this past eason, not even close

Grant
07-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Reggie could still come off of the bench & stick the big three. He could still be the spark the team needs.

But the team can no longer afford to have a player who can't shoot (Jeff) a player who isn't great at shooting (Jamaal) & a player that won't shoot (Reggie).

This is exactly right. The Pacers need a third (consistent) scoring option. Yeah, Tins can hit from the outside sometimes, and Reggie still has his moments, but the Pacers need a third guy that can consistently put points on the board when needed.

O'Neal is fine, and Artest can play inside or outside depending on what he is given, but when the Pacers play against a good interior defense (read: Pistons), they need to be able to get points from somewhere else (an outside shooter).

UncleBuck is right that Freddie wasn't ready at the beginning of last season, but I think he is ready now. I still think that the Pacers need to acquire a SG, but put me in the camp that thinks we need a role player who will be the 3rd option, not a superstar.