PDA

View Full Version : Grain of Salt Alert: Artest for Bonzi Wells

Hicks
06-30-2004, 11:16 PM
It's a slow week, just passing along something interesting, but probably :bs: :

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=3175469

I do not know how reliable the source is, but a buddy that works with me he knows bonzi and the family. He lives next to bonzis girlfriends mom also. I talked to my friend today and he said that she told him the pacers flew in bonzi for a physical. Also that Oneal is wanting artest traded.

I've heard rumors of Artest for Bonzi before, and more than once........ :uhoh:

But again, until something more official crops up, take it worth a grain of salt.

TheSauceMaster
06-30-2004, 11:23 PM
Okay , What's so good About Bonzi wells again ? I mean have I missed something and I thought he was alright in Portland but nothing to Hoot and Hollar over. :whoknows:

I would hope we could get better than Bonzi Wells for Ron Artest .

Unclebuck
06-30-2004, 11:26 PM
He is certainly not a good outside shooter, he won't help in that area.

He is a one-on-one/post up shooting guard.

Do we need that. I don't think so.

Hicks
06-30-2004, 11:26 PM
I don't like him as a person, but as a Bball player he's a good offensive talent. Doesn't have 3 range, but from inside there has a very good shot, and can attack the basket. Not fair trade talent-wise for Ron. However, as someone who believe management is fed up with him, this looks like a trade that fits in that situation....

Hicks
06-30-2004, 11:28 PM
Here's his profile: Not as bad a 3p% as I expected. I just knew he had a good shot from inside 3 point range.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/bonzi_wells/

slyder
06-30-2004, 11:33 PM
sauce master - ''I would hope we could get better than Bonzi Wells for Ron Artest".
---

well said

Hicks
06-30-2004, 11:33 PM
This is a IMO decent description of Wells:

"Can score from everywhere, rebound, run the break, pass the ball, put it on the floor... More athleticism than you would expect... A threat playing in the post... Plays hard... Good defender... Lacks consistency... Has some baggage."

Snickers
06-30-2004, 11:40 PM
Bonzi.... grain of salt.... *swallows salt shaker*

:puke:

TheSauceMaster
06-30-2004, 11:42 PM
Sorry it would seem like a desperate last alternative trade to me , sorry but if we can't get better than Bonzi for Artest ..that is truely depressing and I hope they don't pull a stupid early trade when something better could be had. I don't mind if you wanna trade someone but atleast try to get value and in this trade I feel were not getting value .

I really don't like to hear player A say oh player B has to go , this is a big reason I lost much respect for Jason Kidd and his constant moaning to fire Byron Scott and I feel that's why Byron Scott got fired from the Nets.

Snickers
06-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Isn't flying a player under contract with another team before the FA signing deadline tampering of some sort? :hmm:

And yes, I sincerely hope we could do better than Bonzi Wells, if we have to trade Ron.

diego
06-30-2004, 11:49 PM
honestly the part i liek least about this is we make Memphis a ton better. i dont mind wells, but if we trade artest i hope its to a team that wont bite us in the ***

indygeezer
06-30-2004, 11:49 PM
I don't know snick...is he a free agent. Supposing the two teams are talking trade, it would be ok then wouldn't it?

But if he IS a FA...uh don't wanna know about it.

Lord Helmet
06-30-2004, 11:52 PM
Don't trade Ron.:mad::mad: Bonzi Wells ??:unimpressed:

bulletproof
06-30-2004, 11:56 PM
Certainly not a difference maker like Sheed, eh?

Unclebuck
06-30-2004, 11:57 PM
This whole Artest situation has been really bothering me. I won't like anyone they trade him for, I don't want Artest to leave, and yet I think he will be traded, and the Pacers will never get what I consider fair value.

Snickers
07-01-2004, 12:02 AM
I don't know snick...is he a free agent. Supposing the two teams are talking trade, it would be ok then wouldn't it?

But if he IS a FA...uh don't wanna know about it.

He's signed for this year, $7.7 mil and a team option for next year $8.0 mil.

I don't think a trade even works, straight-up....

Oh well. Donnie and Larry won't trade Ron for Bonzi Wells. At least not if they like their coffee free of urine! :devil:

.... ok, the whole "evil" thing isn't working for me tonight. :blush:

diego
07-01-2004, 12:04 AM
Ok. Let me preface this by saying i dont want Ron traded...but out of curiosity what do you all think of this..

If we trade Artest to memphis and can get Bonzi and Mike Miller which greatly increases our perimeter scoring, would you like it then assuming the second player we lose would probably be Freddie.

So it would be Ron/freddie for Miller/Wells...and our lineup looks like:

Tins/Wright
Wells/Miller
Al/Miller/Bender
Jo/Bender/Cro
Foster/Harrison

Admittingly i kind of like this lineup. We lsoe some defense in Artest but Bonzi is a good defender and keeping Al, he is still a good defender..we add a lot of scoring and lose a slight amount of defense.

MagicRat
07-01-2004, 12:06 AM
How about if Bill Polian drives downtown to Conseco from the Colts' westside complex and helps Donnie and Larry work a deal to send Ron to the Spirits of St. Louis for picks in the 2nd and 5th rounds, numbers 36 and 138 overall........

Kegboy
07-01-2004, 12:07 AM
Yes, this would be tampering. I don't think you can even do this until after a trade is made, or else you wouldn't have trades rescinded due to guys failing physicals.

IF we trade Artest (note the big IF), we've got to do better than Wells. The one good thing about this is he would go out west. If we trade him, I don't want to have to play him 4 times a year, let alone in the playoffs. :shudder:

Wasn't Bonzi acquired straight up for Person? So, Logo would in effect get the DPOY for Baby Rifle? I mean, I like Wes and all, but come on.

<Jimmy voice>I mean, Come On.</Jimmy voice>
---
:duel:

Kegboy
07-01-2004, 12:11 AM
Ok. Let me preface this by saying i dont want Ron traded...but out of curiosity what do you all think of this..

If we trade Artest to memphis and can get Bonzi and Mike Miller which greatly increases our perimeter scoring, would you like it then assuming the second player we lose would probably be Freddie.

Tins/Wright
Wells/Miller
Al/Miller/Bender
Jo/Bender/Cro
Foster/Harrison

Admittingly i kind of like this lineup. We lsoe some defense in Artest but Bonzi is a good defender and keeping Al, he is still a good defender..we add a lot of scoring and lose a slight amount of defense.

NO! We're not putting another Miller on this team! That's the real reason Reggie sucked so bad two playoffs ago. It wasn't cause of his ankle, it was that damn "R" on his jersey throwing his whole balance off.

:mad: :mad: :tongue:
---

MagicRat
07-01-2004, 12:13 AM

Tins/Wright
Wells/Miller
Al/Miller/Bender
Jo/Bender/Cro
Foster/Harrison

NO! We're not putting another Miller on this team! That's the real reason Reggie sucked so bad two playoffs ago. It wasn't cause of his ankle, it was that damn "R" on his jersey throwing his whole balance off.

---

And finally the true reason for the BM (sign and) trade comes out......:laugh:

Snickers
07-01-2004, 12:14 AM

Tins/Wright
Wells/Miller
Al/Miller/Bender
Jo/Bender/Cro
Foster/Harrison

---

Well, at least my #31 jersey would be accurate again. :blush:

Kegboy
07-01-2004, 12:27 AM

Tins/Wright
Wells/Miller
Al/Miller/Bender
Jo/Bender/Cro
Foster/Harrison

---

And finally the true reason for the BM (sign and) trade comes out......:laugh:

Yeah, but don't tell Peck. I like to see him get all flustered about Pollard. :chuckle:
---

Anthem
07-01-2004, 02:11 AM
Man, that's a terrible trade. I wouldn't move Artest for Bonzi and Mike together. Just Bonzi? No freakin way.

With TMac off the table, there's two guards in the NBA I'd trade Ron for: Allen and Redd.

Pig Nash
07-01-2004, 02:27 AM
If we got a SG from Memphis for Artest, i'd want posey. i like that kid.

Hoop
07-01-2004, 06:36 AM
McGrady was the only guy I would have traded Ron for. I might trade Harrington for him, but I'm not even sure if I'd do that. I rather see how Freddie is going to pan out, if we can't get a top flight SG. Anybody traded for Wesley Person is not a top flight SG.

ABADays
07-01-2004, 08:00 AM
I have no interest in Bonzi Wells coming here.

zxc
07-01-2004, 08:18 AM
That would just be an awful deal for us. I mean, Memphis got him for Wesley Person and then we trade the DPOY for him? I don't care what problems Ron has if our management trades him straight up for Bonzi Wells they are morons. Maybe if they want to take Crosheres deal off our hands and give us other things as well or something like that.

DisplacedKnick
07-01-2004, 08:53 AM
If we got a SG from Memphis for Artest, i'd want posey. i like that kid.

You read my mind (well, since you posted it first ...)

James Posey makes my all-underrated team. The only thing keeping him from an all-defensive team selection, IMO, is having a PR department.

His shot has really improved and he can give you 15 per.

If I was a Pacers GM and was FORCED (I don't consider either to be even) to make a choice between trading Ron even-up for Posey or Bonzi, I'd take Posey.

He's another of my "I hope Isiah trades KT for" wish lists.

diego
07-01-2004, 09:36 AM
All i am going to say is there are a lot of keyboard GMs here, but if Walsh and Bird make a move, be it for Wells or anyoen else involving Artest, i am going to trust them and their plan.

I am assuming if we trade Artest, there are reasons beyond his play on court and we as fans need to accept that. IMO there is no way the team trades Artest if there isnt offcourt issues.

All in all i think Bonzi and Miller may be the best we could get for Artest, and we might be able to dump a acontract which IMO would be another HUGE reason pacers would make this deal. In order to make salaries match up becasue of Ron making only 5.5 million, we would need to throw in another player. So we could be liek the Bulls were, if you want Artest, you have to take this contract as well.(Cro,Pollard)

So artest for Wells straight up may not be fair value, however Artest and dumping of bad contract for Wells and Miller is a pretty good deal. You have to look at all things involved, not just primary pieces.

For example, lets say we are able to dump a contract, then reggie retires next year and we gain that salary cap room, it allows us future flexibility.

Suaveness
07-01-2004, 09:45 AM
I hope Artest isn't traded.... :cry:

:pray:

Pacer4fun
07-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Okay, we know Bird and Donnie aren't dumb so there has to be more to it. I would think it would have to be part of a 3 team deal or attempting to clear cap space. We may be gettting Bonzi and someone else from another team. Anyone have any ideas who else could be involved if this were the case?

Ragnar
07-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Bonzi for Ron would not be what I would call a championship move.

I am sure there are people in here will imediatly forget that Ron is a good player if he is moved.

And of course there will be the Bonzi will make us forget about Ron people
:unimpressed:
If there is more to it such as Ron is a much bigger head case than we know or that there will be other players involved then we would have to see at that time. But straight up this deal stinks.