PDA

View Full Version : trade idea from Real GM boards

diego
06-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Wanted to get some thoughts from posters here on this trade idea on the Golden State board of Real GM.

They suggest a Artest/Foster for JRich/Damp(sign and trade).

Now my thoughts are no to this deal. Actually i dont think the salaries would even match after damps new deal and we would have to lose more.

However with the recent draft of Harrison, I would either use him as trade bait or say no to Damp. But i would trade Artest straight up for Jrich. This moves Al to the SF, gives us a legitimate 20ppg scorer in Richardson and someone who can create their own shot.

So i guess the real question would you be willing to part with Artest in a deal that brought Richardson here.

the main thing here though is what would happen with Freddie, he woiuld no longer get the minutes he needs and culd possibly used as trade filler.

Doug
06-30-2004, 10:16 AM
I have little interest in Damp. I think that his performance was motivated by the fact it was a contract year and he won't play at that level again.

I also think that if the Pacers wanted to pay that much for a big man, they would have just resigned Brad Miller last year. IMO, the Pacers are not really that interested in Dampier and have never been. Any words to the contrary from the organization is just a smoke screen.

Snickers
06-30-2004, 10:28 AM
I'd rather keep Jeff. And Artest for Richardson? I'd do Al for Richardson, but not Artest.

Put me in the "no way, ever" camp on this one.

fwpacerfan
06-30-2004, 10:35 AM
Take Artest out and put Al in and I say do it now. But w/Ron in the deal and the uncertainty of Al's future since his contract is up I say no.

bulletproof
06-30-2004, 10:47 AM
I'd consider it. Fans tend to overvalue their team's players and Al for J. Rich is not a fair deal for GS. Al and Freddie is probably more likely. Also, if Ron is going to be traded anyway, and we got someone like J. Rich in exchange for him, I wouldn't be too disappointed. Although I'd like to think Ron could net a little more than that. Pierce perhaps. But Ron for J. Rich and Speedy would make me very happy indeed.

diego
06-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Take Artest out and put Al in and I say do it now. But w/Ron in the deal and the uncertainty of Al's future since his contract is up I say no.

Als contract is not up. So i dint see where that factors.

diego
06-30-2004, 11:36 AM
I agree with most here that say they would rather lose Al than Artest...but lets say Artest is going to be traded anyways due to team philosophy, i would not want to lose both Al and Artest.

I would much rather keep Artest, but i guess if there is any team we could trade him to and not worry about him biting us in the ***, Golden State sounds liek the perfect place.

able
06-30-2004, 12:00 PM
uhh sorry BP, I only agree in part, but for starters, Ron only under the pretence that he HAS to be traded, AL prefered adn a more then good deal for both parties (though the contracts don't mathc in a century) J-Rich is in his final year of rookie contract, so a deal would have to be struck now, to prevent losing him next year, Damp we have no interest in, he is to slow and has only produced in contract years, please please stay away from him.

Al would be ok, for J-Rich with a certaintity he stays here.

Ron I'msorry to say will get better value, I think Allen/Carter value for Ron is far more obtainable, again contract wise one has to find "throw-ins" to match, but as a perspective value that comes a lot closer.

Does maintain however that I would love to see J-Rich on the Pacers :)

That is one talented kid :) (and a crowd pleaser)

sixthman
06-30-2004, 12:20 PM
I don't buy into the "Dampier only had a good year because it was a contract year" argument.

I think his good year was more related to better health, experience and a growing confidence.

That being said I seriously wonder if Dampier is worth a six or seven year contract starting at 8.5 mil, or so.

Hicks
06-30-2004, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't do that trade. Ron's worth more than that even if he's being shopped.

indygeezer
06-30-2004, 12:36 PM
Just throwing a twist in here...To those convinced Damp merely was playing for a contract. I assume then you would be happy if he went ot the Magic or any other potential PO foe we have??? I'm not suggesting we pick him up for that reason, just wondering how comfortable you are with the idea of him being on an EC rival team.

Unclebuck
06-30-2004, 12:47 PM
I don't buy the argument that "Dampier only had a good year because he was in a contract year"

In order for me to buy that argument, I would have to believe that Dampier had a good year to begin with, I don't believe he did. For whatever reason I tended to watch a lot of G. State games last season, and it seemed more often than not, Dampier did not play at the end of close games. In the last 6 minutes or so.

DisplacedKnick
06-30-2004, 01:10 PM
I just don't get him opting out. He's set to make over 8 million next year - can anyone seriously think he's gonna get an offer much over the MLE?

Has he announced if he's opting out or not yet? If he has, I haven't seen it.

Hicks
06-30-2004, 01:17 PM
I just don't get him opting out. He's set to make over 8 million next year - can anyone seriously think he's gonna get an offer much over the MLE?

Has he announced if he's opting out or not yet? If he has, I haven't seen it.

He has opted out, Kero posted a link a while back I think.

I think his goal is to make more money over a series of years, rather than make less in 2.

Meaning if he's gonna make like 17mil if he had stayed with his current contract, he would instead go for say, 22.5 million over 5 years.

fwpacerfan
06-30-2004, 03:03 PM

Als contract is not up. So i dint see where that factors.

I thought this was the last year of Al's contract but he has 2 years left. In that case this would be a good trade, but I still would rather have Artest and trade Al.

SkipperZ
06-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Foster is as good or close to Dampier's caliber. I understand they are different people, and I would love to bring him in, but if we did bring him in I would like to see foster stay as a backup...

Now then, Artest for JRich? I mean richardsons a nice player but I would hope we could get a better deal than that.

Roy Munson
06-30-2004, 06:26 PM
JRich and Freddie on the same team....we'd be well represented at the Slam Dunk Contest.

kerosene
07-01-2004, 01:29 AM
Dampier has officially opted out. What I'm reading is that Memphis and Dallas are interested.

I think if the Pacers pull a trade it will be something under the radar (Pierce, Allen, Wells); someone who the national media has not been linking the Pacers with. We're not getting Shaq. We're not getting Dampier.