PDA

View Full Version : 5.1: The Jon Bender Thread

Anthem
01-17-2004, 11:47 PM
Nothing really to add. Just wanted to have a place to discuss Bender over the next few games.

He's shown flashes so far, but just flashes. Is it rust?

Ragnar
01-17-2004, 11:48 PM
I liked that he went into the paint more than he did in years past.

Hicks
01-17-2004, 11:49 PM
If Bender ever breaks out I'm calling him dts

Anthem
01-17-2004, 11:55 PM
If Bender ever breaks out I'm calling him dts

THX would be better. Or just "Dolby." Or is that a trademark?

DisplacedKnick
01-17-2004, 11:56 PM
Well, he can still swoop to the basket - and look great doing it. And he can still hit the OPEN 3. I've never seen him hit contested 3's with any consistency.

The one ray of hope is that I did notice him setting up a lot deeper than he used to. But he didn't fight for position very well there - something he needs to learn. And he can still block shots from the weak side.

Unclebuck
01-17-2004, 11:58 PM
Bender cannot hit shots in traffic. If he gets bumped or off balance he misses. His center of gravity is too high

ROCislandWarrior
01-18-2004, 03:47 AM
Anthem

Why are you calling him 5.1 (or using it in reference to him)

I think I missed something

Tim
01-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Bender said his game is like surround sound, so Rojo now calls him 5.1.

So long as he remains aggressive in everything he does. I want him so aggressive he almost fouls out every game he plays.

The second he starts getting passive sits his butt and give the minutes back to Austin.

ROCislandWarrior
01-18-2004, 01:25 PM
LOL

Nice... most people compare their games to previous players or vicious animals

Bender chooses to compare his to audio technology

Anthem
01-18-2004, 03:17 PM
LOL

Nice... most people compare their games to previous players or vicious animals

Bender chooses to compare his to audio technology

SNIP. New Sig. :dance::pepper:

ROCislandWarrior
01-18-2004, 03:21 PM
lol

I am flattered

MSA2CF
06-06-2004, 07:16 PM
The glaring weaknesses I see in "The Difference" are his ballhandling skills, and decisions in high pressure situations. He often simply loses the ball out of bounds or to a defender because the ball bounces off his leg. As was shown in an ECF game, he was trapped at halfcourt and then threw the ball away to Richard Hamilton. He may have other weaknesses, but right now, that's all that I can come up with.

TheSauceMaster
06-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Bender cannot hit shots in traffic. If he gets bumped or off balance he misses. His center of gravity is too high

yep that's something I noticed also , I can't count how many times Bender went to drive the lane and get's bumped and out pops the ball.

ChicagoJ
06-06-2004, 10:26 PM

yep that's something I noticed also , I can't count how many times Bender went to drive the lane and get's bumped and out pops the ball.

Lets see what another 15lbs of muscle does to help that/ ;)

Okay, we'll all check back on this thread in 2026 to see if he ever gained that 15 lbs. of muscle.

:lol2:

Doug
06-06-2004, 11:18 PM
As I've said before, he can't be 5.1, only 5, 'cause he has no base. Fundementals, that is.

beast23
06-07-2004, 12:27 AM

Lets see what another 15lbs of muscle does to help that/ ;)
Another 15 pounds of muscle would help, but might not make a lot of difference.

IMO, Bender has two problems.

1. He just doesn't have a decent base (butt and legs) to physically establish position on the interior, either for posting up or rebounding.

2. His hands are small (and possibly weak)... His ball skills are not bad for a 7 footer; he just doesn't seem to have the hand strength to hang on the the ball in traffic.

Roy Munson
06-07-2004, 01:33 AM
Bender = very weak.

Suaveness
06-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Bender= WASTE OF TIME.

sweabs
06-07-2004, 09:27 AM
I think I'll give Bender one more year before I throw in the towel.

Snickers
06-07-2004, 01:53 PM

Sounds good to me. It's hard to give up on somebody after they only played in 21 games.

Slick Pinkham
06-07-2004, 02:03 PM
I was very encouraged by Bender's improvement on defense in his limited time this season.

I have been very critical of him in the past, and he does seem to have a low b'ball IQ. In 2002-2003 he could not defend a wet paper bag. I have nightmares of the 1st round playoff exit vs. Boston where Isiah put him into the game on Antoine Walker. Walker is allergic to the post and can't jump for squat. He backed JB down and dunked on him. Twice in a row, I think.

It was a glimmer of hope to see him guard reasonably well players as different and as talanted as Paul Pierce and Ben Wallace this postseason.

I don't see him as an impact starter in the foreseeable future, but I could he him as a solid backup for Ron or for Al, if and when one of them is sent packing to land a starting SG or a C. The 6th man role might suit him well.

Suaveness
06-07-2004, 02:11 PM

Sounds good to me. It's hard to give up on somebody after they only played in 21 games.

Well, it's easy to give up on them if 21 is the most he can get...

Anthem
06-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Man, this is an old thread. How'd this get bumped?

Snickers
06-07-2004, 02:54 PM

If he can't be healthy enough to play in more than 21 again this season, then I think he'll fall into the category of chronically injured players [see]

Suaveness
06-07-2004, 03:19 PM

If he can't be healthy enough to play in more than 21 again this season, then I think he'll fall into the category of chronically injured players [see]

Somehow, it wouldn't surprise me if that happened.