PDA

View Full Version : 2004 PD Forum Awards - Best Arm-Chair Coach - Jay@Section222!

Hicks
06-29-2004, 04:12 PM
From now until 3PM Tuesday (I will try to make this go by that time every weekday), everyone has their chance to vote for the 2004 Best Arm-Chair Coach

The Nominees Are:

Jay@Section222
Kegboy
Peck
Ragnar
Unclebuck

Mourning
06-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Sorry, I get no poll to place my vote at:(

MSA2CF
06-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Maybe we should have done this sooner.

I forgot what the candidates are like during a game. :(

Kegboy
06-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Since I'm nominated, I'll take a nod from UB and give a candid critique on the nominees.

Kegboy - Loser. It's nice people threw him a bone by nominating him, but come on. :(

Ragnar - I like his critiques, but I just can't get past the AJ thing. Yes, he has his faults, but Rag refuses to see his strengths, which, believe it or not, there are some.

Peck - I greatly respect his knowledge, but I rarely agree with his conclusions.

That leaves UB and Jay. Pretty much the two voices I respect the most on here.

So, the question is, what's this award mean. If "arm-chair coach" is akin to "backseat driver", I don't think that applies to UB. He's more likely to defend the status quo than look to shake things up.

If, instead, it's more like, "Who'd you like to see coach the team?", then, my gut says to go with Jay. Don't really know why. We've got alot of the same ideas, and the stuff we disagree on, I almost always can see exactly where he's coming from. Plus, it helps that we have the same taste in food (Peanut Butter good, Tyson Chicken bad.)

So, reluctantly, I vote for Jay, since you can't vote for 4 people, of course. Anybody except that keg guy. What's with his user name anyway. Is he supposed to be an alcoholic superhero, or something. :crazy:
---
:duel:
spelling

MSA2CF
06-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Okay, what was the "definition" of this award, Hicks? That might help me.

Hicks
06-29-2004, 05:10 PM
It's whoever displayed the most knowledge of the game.

I voted Jay

ChicagoJ
06-29-2004, 05:44 PM
I think over the past couple of weeks, I've offered lavish praise for everyone on this ballot except for Kegboy.

And since I'm going to vote for Kegboy, I should probably do that...

I don't deny that I'm a wanna-be scout. Therfore, I spend an unhealthy amount of time analyzing player's strenghts, weaknesses, tendencies and related stuff.

Kegboy, and its especially clear from his articles, enjoys studying the coaches as much as I enjoy analyzing the players. He's pointed out many things about Carlisle, (Mike) Brown, Ron Rothstein, Larry Bird the coach, and even opposing coaches that I've never even thought about.

To me, that sets Kegboy apart from the other three in a very close race.

Arcadian
06-29-2004, 05:49 PM
I voted for Ragnar for being the one who supported Tins all through the season.

Kstat
06-29-2004, 07:16 PM
Gotta be Peck here.

Kegboy
06-29-2004, 08:06 PM

Uh, have you SEEN my avatars??

:confused: :p
---

Kegboy
06-29-2004, 08:13 PM
I think over the past couple of weeks, I've offered lavish praise for everyone on this ballot except for Kegboy.

And since I'm going to vote for Kegboy, I should probably do that...

I don't deny that I'm a wanna-be scout. Therfore, I spend an unhealthy amount of time analyzing player's strenghts, weaknesses, tendencies and related stuff.

Kegboy, and its especially clear from his articles, enjoys studying the coaches as much as I enjoy analyzing the players. He's pointed out many things about Carlisle, (Mike) Brown, Ron Rothstein, Larry Bird the coach, and even opposing coaches that I've never even thought about.

To me, that sets Kegboy apart from the other three in a very close race.

Aw shucks, Jay. :blush:

Seriously, guess I never thought of it like that before. But I am pretty much a coaching groupie.
---

Arcadian
06-29-2004, 09:17 PM

Uh, have you SEEN my avatars??

:confused: :p
---

Sorry. :blush: I had forgotten. Also I read somewhere from a poster that I respect
that Kegboy was a loser.:whoknows:

Unclebuck
06-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Wow this one is very difficult

Just for the record here is who I nominated.

Beast #23, Arkman, Doug, Kegboy, Peck, Jay, Bball, MillerArtest. At the time of course I did not know that rscarey and millerartest were one in the same.

Best arm-chair coach?

Well my vote is between Kegboy and Jay.

Peck, I voted you MVP, and I love your long posts, but if you were coaching the Pacers, I would be a little nervous.

Jay, you would win my vote if the category was "favorite poster". But Hicks did not have that category.

So Kegboy you get my vote.

kerosene
06-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Huh. rscarey and millerartest the same?

I nominated 6 and tried to have a bit of seperation from who I nominated for MVP so I went with UB, Arkman, Ragnar, Bball, Skaut_Ech, and pacertom

Tough vote here though. Another "everyone is deserving" vote.

BigMac
06-30-2004, 12:03 AM
It's whoever displayed the most knowledge of the game.

I voted Jay

Jay. I don't think anyone really knows the Pacers game that posts on here of the nominees like Jay. We remember the games as they happened and know what really happened and why people were traded or released. And we share the same opinion on the games we have watched. If only others watched the game as we see it. You may enjoy being a Pacers fan a bit more instead of being so negative. And to Jay: Yes, the biggest thing we agree on, for me, is that A.D. got traded because Bird was tired of him being such a dumb *** in the playoffs and costing us games that the Pacers would have advanced if he was not the dumb *** he is (two games in particular-Jay, I think you know which games i am talking about).

Here's a vote for Jay! :buddies:

ABADays
06-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Hmmm - wonder who should be at the top of my Pecking order?

bulletproof
06-30-2004, 07:59 PM
Everything else being equal, I went with the most objective. Like UB said, I'd be a little nervous if Peck (or Ragnar, for that matter) was coaching the Pacers. UB's glasses are a little too rose-colored, and I'm not that familar with the cut of Kegboy's gib. I voted for Jay.

Kegboy
06-30-2004, 10:36 PM
and I'm not that familar with the cut of Kegboy's gib.

That's because I don't go around just flaunting my gib. That's private, thank you very much.

Sheesh, some people. :unimpressed: :tongue:
---

Kegboy
06-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Yeah, so Hicks, you ever gonna call this thing (or I guess declare a runoff)? I'm sick of watching my percentage get smaller and smaller. Or do you really intend to have this go 6 more days (i.e. 3pm Tuesday)?
---

Hicks
06-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Whoops, forgot to close this, didn't I? Ooookay. Let's look at the results...

Hicks
06-30-2004, 10:54 PM
Final Results:

Jay@Section222 32.43%
Kegboy 16.22%
Peck 29.73%
Ragnar 10.81%
Unclebuck 10.81%
37 votes

Congratulations, Jay@Section222!

ChicagoJ
06-30-2004, 11:09 PM
Depending on which time I checked today, I was either hoping Hicks would immediately close the polls or that he'd really wait until next Tuesday. :blush:

Thanks for the votes and the kind words from several of my favorites around here. There was some awfully good competition so I'm truly flattered.

MagicRat
06-30-2004, 11:25 PM
Thanks to all of the nominees and congrats to Jay. I enjoy reading all of your guys' work (if I can call this work).........

Snickers
06-30-2004, 11:47 PM
Congratulations! :applaud:

Kegboy
06-30-2004, 11:49 PM
Depending on which time I checked today, I was either hoping Hicks would immediately close the polls or that he'd really wait until next Tuesday. :blush:

Thanks for the votes and the kind words from several of my favorites around here. There was some awfully good competition so I'm truly flattered.

Why do you think I said something when I did? Congrats buddy. :applaud:
---

Ragnar
04-27-2005, 06:27 PM
These old threads are killing me. I did not even know I was nominated for this last year :laugh:

What a difference a year makes. Last year I would have traded AJ for a bag of rotten tomatoes. Now I am actually happy with him as the backup pg. :o