PDA

View Full Version : Early Season in Review

Speed
04-01-2009, 03:02 PM
I guess it’s too early for a season wrap up and I guess the recency effect is in play, but here are things I thought were Positive, negative, and about right. I’ve changed over the season on many of these things. For instance, I thought Rasho was an impact player the first 15 games or so, but isn’t somebody I see getting minutes in the league next year. Of course this is all my opinion.
<O:p</O:p
<O:p
Positives:
First and foremost it’s Danny taking the next step. He had great numbers last year at 20 a clip, but I think his growth this year has been pretty amazing. He has shown toughness from the home opener with <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/ /><st1:City w:st=</st1:City>Boston</ST1:p to last night with stitches. I think he probably played too long on his injured foot too because he was trying to help his team make the playoffs. He’s unafraid to take a big shot. Nevermind whether he makes them all, but I think the back door Lebron alley oop foul and then the <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pPhoenix</ST1:p</st1:City> dagger show he’s not afraid of the moment. Lastly with Danny, he has shown the awareness that he needs to elevate his teammates by seeing his assist total increase. It would be really hard to not be excited about Danny and his progression at this point.
<st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pRoy</ST1:p</st1:City>’s development. I came into this season expecting almost nothing from him and he’s shown the ability to be a tough cover in the low post, but that’s not even what’s been so impressive to me. It’s been his hunger to get better by all reports. He understands he fouls too much, he understands when he makes mistakes and is willing to correct them. He’s not timid, but his ego isn’t in the way at all. I think <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pRoy</ST1:p</st1:City> has impacted the court on offense by his low post ability, the defensive side of the ball with altering shots or the opponents willingness to drive, at times, but I think he’s had a huge positive impact on the lockeroom. I don’t think I’ve seen a group of players and fans root for a guy like <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pRoy</st1:City>, maybe ever.
Murphy’s numbers. I didn’t think he had 14 and almost 12 boards in his abilities. I know he averaged double doubles at <ST1:p<st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Golden</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">State</st1:PlaceType></ST1:p, but I also know that was awhile ago. I saw an item that Murphy has a change to finish in the top ten in Rebounding (second) and 3 point shooting percentage (sixth) if he qualifies. He would be the first person to do this since Larry Bird. Wow, just wow. Lastly, I think I am most impressed with his defensive improvement. I’m not saying he’s all first team now, but he has upgraded to not a liability. That’s pretty important.
B Rush’s development. I was really worried about him in January to the point I thought there was a decent chance he didn’t have the mindset for the league. It was that he looked like he felt overwhelmed or almost scared. Then there was this last stint as a starter. He upped his already very good D, but he started attacking of offense and seemed to not be shook by the enormity of it all. <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pBrandon</ST1:p</st1:City> is a two way player and quite frankly I almost didn’t recognize what that looked like in Pacers uniform. I’m pretty high on him, I hope he has a great summer and beats out Dunleavy as the starter next year. Honestly, it is one of my big concerns that Mike comes back and Brush goes into a shell, we’ll see.
Jack’s leadership. It’s hard to put your finger on, but I think he puts wins and team ahead of individual stats and the guys know it. I’ve said this before, but I think any mistakes he makes, it’s not through selfishness or not preparing, it’s through error. I think he’s another great lockeroom guy. I was down on him because I hoped he’d be stellar defensively, and I think he is in moments, but I’ve come to accept that is most important skill is his leadership, in a natural non contrived way.
TJ’s scoring. I am very impressed with his ability to get a good shot for himself, basically at will. It’s also hurts him at times because he can do this, it doesn’t mean he always should do this. Well as a starting point guard it was a liability, but as an off the bench scorer he’s a boost of offensive energy and can just dominate and use his skills much more freely and not be disruptive to the team concept. I hope he stays happy and I hope he stays 6<SUP>th</SUP> man.
Marquis’ year. He really held the fort down and showed his value to a team. I saved this for last because I am pretty positive he won’t be here next year, but I though it at least deserved mention.
Disappointments or Negatives
Dun’s injury. It’s bad by any measure, but you really wonder if it benefitted B Rush’s development and Marquis’ nice year.
Poor Defense. I hated the scheme and I still hate it when it doesn’t work and guys aren’t playing together. Regardless, again by any measure they are a bad defensive team and they will never be real contenders until that is remedied through personnel or whatever. I hate to really even talk about it because it’s such a big hurdle.
TJs vision. I didn’t know what else to call it and that he’s averaging a healthy amount of assists, it’s strange. However as a starting point guard, he doesn’t set guys up enough, over dribbles, over penetrates, and has too many unforced turnovers. Again, as a starting pure point guard, I can’t stand his game. As a Microwave scoring machine off the bench, I love his game.
Rasho’s play. This isn’t a big deal really, but when he started the season, I thought they had a 25 minute a night solid center. Now, I don’t think he’ll even get minutes in the league or will go overseas to finish his career. I like the guy, he’s smart, he understands the game, there just isn’t enough match ups for him to be an effective part of a rotation on a good team. We all knew and still know he’s gone.<O:p
Expected:
McBob, Graham, Maceo, and Deiners year. They had exactly the year I thought they would. McBob not good enough to crack the line up, but has shown flashes of being an energy guy. Graham and Maceo pros who can give you injury minutes. Deiner solid when giving the chance, but got squeezed due to TJ and Jack.<O:p
Marquis’ injury. I feel bad cuz if the guy could stay healthy he can play, he just can’t stay healthy. He really played a few more games than I expected.
Coaching. Optimistic. Liked it. Worried about it. Disliked it. Hated it. Now repeat that about 5 times over the season. I like the no nonsense that he has without being abrasive. I like the confidence he has in players to shoot. I don’t like the gimmicky feel of the defense and jacking up 3s when it doesn’t work. I really like it when it does. I think maybe I’m just too simplistic about it since we don’t get to see practice or hear an honest inside opinion of him. So basically, if they win I like him, if they lose I don’t. What can I say.<O:p</O:p

scar
04-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Nice write up, very well done.

I can't say there is anything I disagree with, though I would like to see a new coach with a more 'winning' feel to the team, however, what do I know, I can't even watch games unless off the internet.

Unclebuck
04-01-2009, 03:27 PM
I have a hard time reading that Speed, so if you don't mind let me repost it here with larger font. Guess I'm getting old

I guess it’s too early for a season wrap up and I guess the recency effect is in play, but here are things I thought were Positive, negative, and about right. I’ve changed over the season on many of these things. For instance, I thought Rasho was an impact player the first 15 games or so, but isn’t somebody I see getting minutes in the league next year. Of course this is all my opinion.

Positives:

First and foremost it’s Danny taking the next step. He had great numbers last year at 20 a clip, but I think his growth this year has been pretty amazing. He has shown toughness from the home opener with http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...st1:City w:st=Boston to last night with stitches. I think he probably played too long on his injured foot too because he was trying to help his team make the playoffs. He’s unafraid to take a big shot. Nevermind whether he makes them all, but I think the back door Lebron alley oop foul and then the Phoenix dagger show he’s not afraid of the moment. Lastly with Danny, he has shown the awareness that he needs to elevate his teammates by seeing his assist total increase. It would be really hard to not be excited about Danny and his progression at this point.

Roy’s development. I came into this season expecting almost nothing from him and he’s shown the ability to be a tough cover in the low post, but that’s not even what’s been so impressive to me. It’s been his hunger to get better by all reports. He understands he fouls too much, he understands when he makes mistakes and is willing to correct them. He’s not timid, but his ego isn’t in the way at all. I think Roy has impacted the court on offense by his low post ability, the defensive side of the ball with altering shots or the opponents willingness to drive, at times, but I think he’s had a huge positive impact on the lockeroom. I don’t think I’ve seen a group of players and fans root for a guy like Roy, maybe ever.

Murphy’s numbers. I didn’t think he had 14 and almost 12 boards in his abilities. I know he averaged double doubles at Golden State, but I also know that was awhile ago. I saw an item that Murphy has a change to finish in the top ten in Rebounding (second) and 3 point shooting percentage (sixth) if he qualifies. He would be the first person to do this since Larry Bird. Wow, just wow. Lastly, I think I am most impressed with his defensive improvement. I’m not saying he’s all first team now, but he has upgraded to not a liability. That’s pretty important.

B Rush’s development. I was really worried about him in January to the point I thought there was a decent chance he didn’t have the mindset for the league. It was that he looked like he felt overwhelmed or almost scared. Then there was this last stint as a starter. He upped his already very good D, but he started attacking of offense and seemed to not be shook by the enormity of it all. Brandon is a two way player and quite frankly I almost didn’t recognize what that looked like in Pacers uniform. I’m pretty high on him, I hope he has a great summer and beats out Dunleavy as the starter next year. Honestly, it is one of my big concerns that Mike comes back and Brush goes into a shell, we’ll see.

Jack’s leadership. It’s hard to put your finger on, but I think he puts wins and team ahead of individual stats and the guys know it. I’ve said this before, but I think any mistakes he makes, it’s not through selfishness or not preparing, it’s through error. I think he’s another great lockeroom guy. I was down on him because I hoped he’d be stellar defensively, and I think he is in moments, but I’ve come to accept that is most important skill is his leadership, in a natural non contrived way.

TJ’s scoring. I am very impressed with his ability to get a good shot for himself, basically at will. It’s also hurts him at times because he can do this, it doesn’t mean he always should do this. Well as a starting point guard it was a liability, but as an off the bench scorer he’s a boost of offensive energy and can just dominate and use his skills much more freely and not be disruptive to the team concept. I hope he stays happy and I hope he stays 6th man.

Marquis’ year. He really held the fort down and showed his value to a team. I saved this for last because I am pretty positive he won’t be here next year, but I though it at least deserved mention.

Disappointments or Negatives

Dun’s injury. It’s bad by any measure, but you really wonder if it benefitted B Rush’s development and Marquis’ nice year.

Poor Defense. I hated the scheme and I still hate it when it doesn’t work and guys aren’t playing together. Regardless, again by any measure they are a bad defensive team and they will never be real contenders until that is remedied through personnel or whatever. I hate to really even talk about it because it’s such a big hurdle.

TJs vision. I didn’t know what else to call it and that he’s averaging a healthy amount of assists, it’s strange. However as a starting point guard, he doesn’t set guys up enough, over dribbles, over penetrates, and has too many unforced turnovers. Again, as a starting pure point guard, I can’t stand his game. As a Microwave scoring machine off the bench, I love his game.

Rasho’s play. This isn’t a big deal really, but when he started the season, I thought they had a 25 minute a night solid center. Now, I don’t think he’ll even get minutes in the league or will go overseas to finish his career. I like the guy, he’s smart, he understands the game, there just isn’t enough match ups for him to be an effective part of a rotation on a good team. We all knew and still know he’s gone.

Expected:

McBob, Graham, Maceo, and Deiners year. They had exactly the year I thought they would. McBob not good enough to crack the line up, but has shown flashes of being an energy guy. Graham and Maceo pros who can give you injury minutes. Deiner solid when giving the chance, but got squeezed due to TJ and Jack.

Marquis’ injury. I feel bad cuz if the guy could stay healthy he can play, he just can’t stay healthy. He really played a few more games than I expected.

Coaching. Optimistic. Liked it. Worried about it. Disliked it. Hated it. Now repeat that about 5 times over the season. I like the no nonsense that he has without being abrasive. I like the confidence he has in players to shoot. I don’t like the gimmicky feel of the defense and jacking up 3s when it doesn’t work. I really like it when it does. I think maybe I’m just too simplistic about it since we don’t get to see practice or hear an honest inside opinion of him. So basically, if they win I like him, if they lose I don’t. What can I say.

Speed
04-01-2009, 03:29 PM
I have a hard time reading that Speed, so if you don't mind let me repost it here with larger font. Guess I'm getting old

Perfect, thank you, I couldn't figure out how to do it!!

Trophy
04-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Nicely put.

duke dynamite
04-02-2009, 12:26 AM
@Speed:

I have a hard time seeing Rasho in this league at all next year.

Speed
04-02-2009, 08:53 AM
@Speed:

I'd agree, unless he's in a perfect situation. I could see him as the 4th bigman in San Antonio and pulling a Scot Pollard.

Speed
04-02-2009, 08:55 AM

I can't say there is anything I disagree with, though I would like to see a new coach with a more 'winning' feel to the team, however, what do I know, I can't even watch games unless off the internet.

I think it's a valid conversation to always talk about the coach when a team is under .500. I think Obie has to continue to show improvement.

idioteque
04-02-2009, 09:34 AM
@Speed:

Really? Rasho has not been fantastic by any means this season but he is good in spurts. He also has a lot of championship experience which in the NBA probably counts for more than it should but it is what it is. Like another poster said, he'll be the 4th big on a contender next year.

He's used to playing next to an elite big and will defer accordingly, which is more than can be said about some other guys.

Hicks
04-02-2009, 10:26 AM
At the STH party he implied he's headed over seas next year.

Anthem
04-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Am I the only one who sees smileys everywhere in the original post? This is with Firefox on both Mac and Windows.

count55
04-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Am I the only one who sees smileys everywhere in the original post? This is with Firefox on both Mac and Windows.

No...others see it, too.

BillS
04-03-2009, 09:58 AM
There are no :p smileys fnord.

duke dynamite
04-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Firefox rendering issue.

Convert the original text.

d_c
04-03-2009, 01:11 PM

I've mentioned this already several times before, but JOB at the time he was hired was the most credible coach on the market who was willing to take the job.

Everyone wants a better coach with a more "winning feel", but does a better coach with that kind of feel want this roster? I ask you straight up, what more credible coach right now is out there that will take this job if you get rid of JOB today?

Do you see Phil Jackson looking at the Pacers and saying, "Man that JOB guy sure is doing a lousy job. I'm going to quit the Lakers and coach the Pacers just so I can show everyone how much better of a coach I am than him." I don't see Phil doing that. I don't see Pop, Jerry Sloan, Nate McMillan or anyone else in a comfortable, well established situation doing that either.

Only guys out there are Avery Johnson and the JVG, and both those guys are sitting it out waiting for an ideal roster they like to take over. And even then, I can already picture the incessant complaints from people on this board about those two guys if the Pacers ever hired one of them.