PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Bulls announcers are biased

scar
03-31-2009, 09:55 PM
I live in Northern Indiana, and I only get Bulls games here, so I have to listen to Bulls announcers when the Bulls play the Pacers. Did anyone else have to listen to that crap? Every time there was contact when Chicago had the ball, it should have been a foul or an and one situation. Everytime a foul was called on Indiana, it was questionable.

If there was ever contact on offense for the Pacers, the Bulls defenders were just, 'holding their ground', in the same situation for the Bulls, if a foul wasn't called, it was a missed or blown call. Every pick the Pacers set is illegal.

Every time Roy got the ball, Tyrus Thomas blocked his shot. Okay, that was aggrivated fact. But still, I don't understand why I have to listen to Bulls games when I live in Indiana, and closer to Indianapolis than Chicago. :mad:

BobbyMac
03-31-2009, 09:57 PM
I agree....the Pacers announcers are more neutral than other teams announcers...

MillerTime
03-31-2009, 10:01 PM
They also trashed Roy Hibbert. On one instance they were saying that he is really weak, and a very bad rebounder for his size. They were also saying (in the first quarter) that hes going to have nightmares of Tyrus Thomas after the couple of blocks Thomas had on Roy in the 1st

LoneGranger33
03-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Try watching a Celtics game in Boston.

scar
03-31-2009, 10:03 PM
I always disliked Clark Kellogg, but Stacey King makes Kellogg look like Joe Rogan. (UFC version of Joe Rogan)

scar
03-31-2009, 10:04 PM
They also trashed Roy Hibbert. On one instance they were saying that he is really weak, and a very bad rebounder for his size. They were also saying (in the first quarter) that hes going to have nightmares of Tyrus Thomas after the couple of blocks Thomas had on Roy in the 1st

Yeah, Roy isn't very successful against Thomas, and so that translates into Roy being weak.

They try to make it sound as if they know everything about the Pacers, and that our players are just of no quality.

clownskull
03-31-2009, 10:04 PM

yeh, i have heard tommy heighnson (or however his name is spelled) is really bad. realllly bad.

scar
03-31-2009, 10:05 PM
What kind of things to Celtics announcers say? Perhaps it's a culture thing, when you're use to winning, you seem to think your team is pure awesomeness.

Trader Joe
03-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Roy isn't that great of a rebounder yet.

scar
03-31-2009, 10:12 PM
He's not exactly weak, he's not a terrible player. I almost thought David Harrison was playing tonight. :)

rock747
03-31-2009, 10:15 PM

I almost can't stand it.

ECKrueger
03-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Gosh, sitting around all the bull fans got really old, really fast.

Pig Nash
03-31-2009, 10:33 PM
I always disliked Clark Kellogg, but Stacey King makes Kellogg look like Joe Rogan. (UFC version of Joe Rogan)

I love Kellogg! I don't like quinn, he jumbles his words. I'm neutral on Denari, I didn't hate Al Albert though so I don't like Denari just cuz he's not Al.

count55
03-31-2009, 10:36 PM
How do you dislike Clark Kellogg?

Best color announcer in basketball.

ReginaldWayne
03-31-2009, 10:38 PM
He's not exactly weak, he's not a terrible player. I almost thought David Harrison was playing tonight. :)

yea he is pretty dang weak for a big man.... but you would expect him to be bulked up in a couple years so what ever.

scar
03-31-2009, 10:41 PM

I just don't like people who talk with their hands. Plus, he kinda ruined 2k9 for me. I don't know, it's not like I hate the guy. I just never cared much for him.

And Al Albert was the Bruce Buffer to Marv Albert's Michael Buffer.

MillerTime
03-31-2009, 10:45 PM
yea he is pretty dang weak for a big man.... but you would expect him to be bulked up in a couple years so what ever.
He seems like he has the size (height and weight) but he doesnt seem to assert himself as he can. He is gifted with regards to his size, but he needs to use it better than he does.

Also, his lift (vertical) is just horrible. He seems like he has a 15" vertical

scar
03-31-2009, 10:47 PM
I'd like to see Roy's midrange game improve. I took look at him as being a banger, but rather a finesse type big man. Which we really need a good banger downlow, but I'm just saying, I doubt Roy is that.

MrSparko
03-31-2009, 10:53 PM
He seems like he has the size (height and weight) but he doesnt seem to assert himself as he can. He is gifted with regards to his size, but he needs to use it better than he does.

Also, his lift (vertical) is just horrible. He seems like he has a 15" vertical

So basically he's Smits.

ReginaldWayne
03-31-2009, 10:54 PM
I'd like to see Roy's midrange game improve. I took look at him as being a banger, but rather a finesse type big man. Which we really need a good banger downlow, but I'm just saying, I doubt Roy is that.

Hes already got a better mid range than a lot of Centers. I could see Roy as a banger on offense if he ever develops a post game besides the hook shot, hes strong backing down, and backs his man down with a few dribbles, it just always end up with a hook shot, which some times gets knocked into the second row by athletic shot blockers because you know its coming and its slow as hell. In fact, the only time i saw Roy post up this year, and not shoot a hook shot, was against Miami when he dropped stepped and scored on I cant remember who I think JO.

RamBo_Lamar
03-31-2009, 11:29 PM
Hes already got a better mid range than a lot of Centers. I could see Roy as a banger on offense if he ever develops a post game besides the hook shot, hes strong backing down, and backs his man down with a few dribbles, it just always end up with a hook shot, which some times gets knocked into the second row by athletic shot blockers because you know its coming and its slow as hell. In fact, the only time i saw Roy post up this year, and not shoot a hook shot, was against Miami when he dropped stepped and scored on I cant remember who I think JO.

Yep, those a-hole Chicago Bull's announcers sure are biased.

:D

Doug
03-31-2009, 11:39 PM
All announcers are homers. At least a little bit.

Some are more obvious than others.

Some do a very good job of calling an even game.

Some are annoying than others.

Everybody thinks the other team's announcers are more biased than theirs.

Everybody thinks the other team's announcers are more annoying than theirs.

That said, Mark Boyle is fantastic. Well spoken and calls 'em like he sees 'em.

pianoman
03-31-2009, 11:39 PM
i was surrounded by bulls fans. they were droppin the f bomb constantly. it was quite annoying.

ReginaldWayne
04-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Yep, those a-hole Chicago Bull's announcers sure are biased.

:D

hehe sorry

ilive4sports
04-01-2009, 12:12 AM
I'm not surprised this was posted at all cause I was thinking it the entire time i was watching. It really was unbearable to listen to. I put the game on mute on my laptop.

duke dynamite
04-01-2009, 12:19 AM
All announcers are homers. At least a little bit.

Some are more obvious than others.

Some do a very good job of calling an even game.

Some are annoying than others.

Everybody thinks the other team's announcers are more biased than theirs.

Everybody thinks the other team's announcers are more annoying than theirs.

That said, Mark Boyle is fantastic. Well spoken and calls 'em like he sees 'em.
I was going to say something similar to this, but I'm glad I didn't.

scar
04-01-2009, 12:20 AM
It was the same way back in the mid-90's. Atleast then, they had plausible reason to think their team was better than ours.

I'll say this, they do have a good squad, but I don't feel our team is as our record indicates. It's a growing process as well as it is an injury prone season. Which seems to be the story every year, but every year I make the same comments about next season being better. ;)

grace
04-01-2009, 12:30 AM
If you think Stacy King is bad you should have heard Red Kerr (God rest his soul).

I think the Portland annoucers are pretty good.

Bball
04-01-2009, 01:23 AM
I was going to say something similar to this, but I'm glad I didn't.

I've said it before but I'll say it again... IMO Mark Boyle is one of the best radio guys in the business.

-Bball

Lord Helmet
04-01-2009, 03:11 AM
I'm one to be biased but I think our announcers are some of the least homer announcers in the league and I'll also say the Clippers announcers are, too. Much love to them.

Kraft
04-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Tonight's broadcast was pretty bad. It's not that they called some the way of the Bulls -- plenty of announcers do that -- but there was one particular section of the game where about 10 straight plays were officiating complaints. They basically stopped calling the game.

OTOH, the Bulls radio crew is pretty solid.

Peck
04-01-2009, 04:33 AM

Are you sure this was the Bulls announcers or were you somehow listening to a hidden mic on me?

Conflict
04-01-2009, 06:08 AM
Bulls announcers also said that Hibbert can't shoot the ball, I bet they didn't see his last half year free throw stats. They also said that Grangers drive was bad and didn't look nice, damn Granger was 11-19 FGM and was dropping 31 points on them. How can they say that. One of the worst performances this year by announcers.

sweabs
04-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Bulls TV guys are bad, and considering they took Chuck away from Toronto I'm assuming their radio broadcasts are along the same line.

That said, I have heard every team's TV crew and 100% believe the Nuggets have the most biased, irritating, homerish, and whiny announcers in the league.

Major Cold
04-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Count,
Although I like Clark. Hubie Brown is still my favorite.

count55
04-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Count,
Although I like Clark. Hubie Brown is still my favorite.

Yeah, I can see that.

kester99
04-01-2009, 09:20 AM
I put the Pacers radio on through Audio League Pass, and turned the TV down. Had to pause the live TV for a couple of seconds, then play, to sync up the two. It was imminently better than listening to those two guys.

idioteque
04-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Boston's guys are far worse than Chicago's, in fact all of the Northeast teams have annoying biased and horrible announcers. From what I remember Detroit's are really good and so are LA's.

geetee
04-01-2009, 09:33 AM
I agree with sweabs, the Denver announcers are the worst. I'd put the Bulls announcers second worst, not just because their homers, but because they are just terribly rude. Boston is the 3rd worst only because the guy along side of Tommy Hienson is pretty decent.

Unclebuck
04-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Hubie is the best.

Johnny Red Kerr was really bad. he probably was a really nice guy though.

Mark Boyle is the best I have ever heard. basketball can be difficult to listen to on the radio - anoying in fact, hard to follow - but Boyle makes it easy to listen and he makes it seem like it is easy. Anyone ever heard the Purdue basketball radion play by play guy. OMG

count55
04-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Hubie is the best.

Johnny Red Kerr was really bad. he probably was a really nice guy though.

Mark Boyle is the best I have ever heard. basketball can be difficult to listen to on the radio - anoying in fact, hard to follow - but Boyle makes it easy to listen and he makes it seem like it is easy. Anyone ever heard the Purdue basketball radion play by play guy. OMG

I definitely think that Mark is the best play-by-play, bar none. I just like Hubie and Clark for color commentary.

mboyle1313
04-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Buck (and others),

Thanks for the kind words. And you're right about Johnny Kerr. He was one of the nicest men I've met in my 21 years in this league.

Thanks for listening. It keeps me employed, and as I have no other appreciable skills, this is critical.

MJB

naptownmenace
04-01-2009, 10:04 AM
I agree....the Pacers announcers are more neutral than other teams announcers...

I totally disagree with that statement. Quinn is as big a homer as Stacey King is for the Bulls. The difference is we're Pacers fans so it doesn't bug us that much.

The Pacers, Bulls, Celtics, Lakers, and Cavs have the most biased commentators IMO.

The Nuggets, Hawks, Trailblazers, Wizards, Suns, Knicks, and Warriors have great announcers. They're unbiased and they really have a great knowledge of the opposing team and the NBA in general. I get the feeling that Quinn and Chris only watch the Pacers play.

I based that on the past 2 seasons of watching NBA League Pass and I don't only watch the Pacers play.

OakMoses
04-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Quinn is as big a homer as Stacey King is for the Bulls. The difference is we're Pacers fans so it doesn't bug us that much.

The Pacers, Bulls, Celtics, Lakers, and Cavs have the most biased commentators IMO.

The Nuggets, Hawks, Trailblazers, Wizards, Suns, Knicks, and Warriors have great announcers. They're unbiased and they really have a great knowledge of the opposing team and the NBA in general. I get the feeling that Quinn and Chris only watch the Pacers play.

Good post.

I've often wondered about the homer factor of the Pacers announcers. I never pay enough attention to them to know if they're bad or not.

I'd add the Nets to your list of good announcing teams. I think that Fratello and Albert do a nice job.

There are two things that bug me about announcers. The first is when they insult the other team's players. The Bulls announcers were terrible about this last night. According to them, Hibbert is completely worthless. He's a poor rebounder, can't score one-on-one in the post, fouls too much, and you can give him a 10 foot jump shot all day. They even made some really snide comments about him staying in school for an extra year and lowering his draft status.

The other thing that bugs me is when they don't know anything about the players on the other team. I've heard Rush referred to as a poor defender and a poor shooter. I've heard guys say that Hibbert has no low post game. I know they're rookies, but that's not an excuse. These guys get paid to talk about basketball.

In my opinion, all you need to know about Stacey King is that he talked about his love for Jim Rome during the game. That's a credibility dump if I've ever heard one.

Major Cold
04-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Mark I remember getting 1070 in knoxville 5 years ago. I was stunned. It was hard to catch what was going on at times. But know that I strained to hear your report. Poor college kids can't afford the treasures, so what I got was like Christmas for me.

naptownmenace
04-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Buck (and others),

Thanks for the kind words. And you're right about Johnny Kerr. He was one of the nicest men I've met in my 21 years in this league.

Thanks for listening. It keeps me employed, and as I have no other appreciable skills, this is critical.

MJB

I became a diehard Pacers fan back in 1986, Chuck Person's rookie season. The Pacers didn't have nearly the television coverage back then - I don't think the televised any home games - so you either went to the game or you listened on the radio. I was 10 years old at the time and I can honestly say that Mark Boyle taught me about the NBA and basketball in general. What a great education that was!

It's one of the things I miss about Indianapolis the most - not being able to listen to Mark and Slick covering the games on the radio.

BillS
04-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I totally disagree with that statement. Quinn is as big a homer as Stacey King is for the Bulls. The difference is we're Pacers fans so it doesn't bug us that much.

Odd. I notice when I watch the away games that Quinn is one of the first to say "Oh, we got away with one" or "That was a good call" about things going for or against the Pacers, respectively. I never, ever, ever, ever, ever hear Tommy Heinsohn admit that the refs get anything right against the Celtics.

They talk more about the Pacers than about the other team, which is what I expect from the home town announcers. I expect national announcers to try to strike a balance.

MrSparko
04-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Quinn will always favor the Pacers on a questionable call, but if he sees the replay he will honestly admit his mistake and change his mind. The same can't be said for the Bulls' announcers.

Kid Minneapolis
04-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Denari isn't so biased, he shoots it straight. Quinn has homer moments, but like someone else said, he'll correct himself on a replay that disproves his comments.

Clark Kellogg is one of my faves. I also liked Al Alberts, he could be very humorous. I don't listen to radio broadcasts so I have no opinion in that area.

Hicks
04-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Odd. I notice when I watch the away games that Quinn is one of the first to say "Oh, we got away with one" or "That was a good call" about things going for or against the Pacers, respectively. I never, ever, ever, ever, ever hear Tommy Heinsohn admit that the refs get anything right against the Celtics.

They talk more about the Pacers than about the other team, which is what I expect from the home town announcers. I expect national announcers to try to strike a balance.

I'm with you. I think Quinn and Clark both do a good job of not being total homers. Of course they favor the Pacers, but they don't go overkill with it like many others do around the league.

Unclebuck
04-01-2009, 01:52 PM
I think both Clark and Quinn can see a replay and properly determine if the refs made a good call or not. However, Quinn often seems to be wrong in favor of the pacers when he is watching the action live and then has to correct himself after seeing the replay. Clark it seems is almost the other way - but then he isn't one to be critical of the refs - which I enjoy.

Heinsohn is the most biased I've heard. hard to believe he was actually CBS's number one national guy in the mid 80's when the Celts were in the finals about every year. I honestly didn't think he was that biased back then.

The Magic's TV guys are probably my favorites, Matt Guokas and David Steele.

Roaming Gnome
04-01-2009, 01:56 PM

I based that on the past 2 seasons of watching NBA League Pass and I don't only watch the Pacers play.

So, you're going to sit here and tell me that Quinn Buckner is as one-sided as Tommy Heinsohn. Get outta town, no way man... no freakin way. As someone else mentioned, I have yet to hear Tommy say that, "the Celts got away with one." Anyway, I do get to catch a lot of other broadcast and I feel your assessment of the Lakers and Pacers announcers being in the same fasion as the Celtics and Bulls announcers is off.

As far as my favorite play-by-play announcer... It would be Ralph Lawler for the Clippers.

Trophy
04-01-2009, 04:41 PM

I'd like to see these guys slam one down. Horrible announcers who don't know what they're saying.

Pacersfan46
04-01-2009, 04:46 PM
I was listening to them as well. They were exceedingly annoying. It wasn't just Hibbert. They dogged everyone. The only person they didn't talk bad about was TJ Ford. Including Granger too. EVERYONE.

It was quite terrible. I was excited when we won because it just felt like those two morons deserved to get beat by all our pathetic, and horrible players. Blah.

I like the Hornets announcers. Best in the league to me.

-- Steve --

Naptown_Seth
04-01-2009, 04:47 PM
What kind of things to Celtics announcers say? Perhaps it's a culture thing, when you're use to winning, you seem to think your team is pure awesomeness.
He was like that when they stunk too. He's horrible (Tommy I mean). The Bulls team is pretty bad as well.

Now greatest, Chick Hern doing Lakers games. Respects the opponents, loves the game, great voice and style.

Boyle is odd because honestly he gets more excited by the other team's plays. He fools me all the time when I listen to the radiocast. "Hey, Pacers had a good play...wait, no, that was the other team making a play." But that's why Slick is there balancing it out. :)

That's why Mark is a good PxP. I love when he and Slick get just as frustrated about some Pacers issue as many of us our. It's a nice reality check that proves you aren't totally nuts.

Naptown_Seth
04-01-2009, 04:51 PM
I think both Clark and Quinn can see a replay and properly determine if the refs made a good call or not. However, Quinn often seems to be wrong in favor of the pacers when he is watching the action live and then has to correct himself after seeing the replay. Clark it seems is almost the other way - but then he isn't one to be critical of the refs - which I enjoy.
I agree. Frankly Quinn drives me nuts. He seems homerish and often comes up with questionable analysis. I do think he's been better the last year but still...there is a reason why Kellogg is seeing his career grow like it has. The guy knows the game and always seems to know the rosters as well. Considering his double duty with NCAA games that's really impressive.

QB will lean on generics at times, stuff that really doesn't seem true about a player and only semi-fits for that specific moment. TJ is a great scorer at the rim after 1 layup. Hibbert is a strong rebounder after one grab. Stuff like that.

Basketball Fan
04-01-2009, 06:48 PM
I live in Northern Indiana, and I only get Bulls games here, so I have to listen to Bulls announcers when the Bulls play the Pacers. Did anyone else have to listen to that crap? Every time there was contact when Chicago had the ball, it should have been a foul or an and one situation. Everytime a foul was called on Indiana, it was questionable.

If there was ever contact on offense for the Pacers, the Bulls defenders were just, 'holding their ground', in the same situation for the Bulls, if a foul wasn't called, it was a missed or blown call. Every pick the Pacers set is illegal.

Every time Roy got the ball, Tyrus Thomas blocked his shot. Okay, that was aggrivated fact. But still, I don't understand why I have to listen to Bulls games when I live in Indiana, and closer to Indianapolis than Chicago. :mad:

I feel your pain I grew up in Northen Indiana myself(I notice you're from Syracuse I'm close to there actually but a neighboring small town) and try growing up there during the Jordan era

:box:

You just accept the fact that Chicagoans in general suck and go about your day.

JonnyB83
04-02-2009, 02:25 AM
QB is a HUGE homer, but since i like the team i love it. but like its been said if the pacers get away with something or something was a good call he admits to it. but his first reaction is always in favor of the pacers most of the time. I really like when he gets laughin about stuff. and he just goes and goes and goes. that gets me laugh and i go and i go and i go because he wont stop. i think he might be drunk during some of the games. but i love him. and the celtics guys are terrible along with new orleans. i got league pass in part to watch more c's games but i cant do it.

Anthem
04-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Quinn will always favor the Pacers on a questionable call, but if he sees the replay he will honestly admit his mistake and change his mind. The same can't be said for the Bulls' announcers.
Dude, the Bulls announcers said "we got away with one there" several times during the game.

They were annoying because they were dismissive of the Pacers, but they were pretty fair with the refs.

Bball
04-02-2009, 10:01 PM
He was like that when they stunk too. He's horrible (Tommy I mean). The Bulls team is pretty bad as well.

Now greatest, Chick Hern doing Lakers games. Respects the opponents, loves the game, great voice and style.

And unfortunately- Deceased. But Chick was good.

Isaac
04-02-2009, 10:05 PM
I feel your pain I grew up in Northen Indiana myself(I notice you're from Syracuse I'm close to there actually but a neighboring small town) and try growing up there during the Jordan era

:box:

You just accept the fact that Chicagoans in general suck and go about your day.

Try growing up IN Chicago during the Jordan days as a Pacers fan.

Basketball Fan
04-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Try growing up IN Chicago during the Jordan days as a Pacers fan.

Oh dear I'm so sorry my condolences... at least the Colts beat the Bears in the Super Bowl. In the end that city loves its Bears more than it will ever love those Cows..er Bulls.

For me I despised Jordan he's my most hated athlete ever.

naptownmenace
04-03-2009, 09:28 AM
So, you're going to sit here and tell me that Quinn Buckner is as one-sided as Tommy Heinsohn. Get outta town, no way man... no freakin way. As someone else mentioned, I have yet to hear Tommy say that, "the Celts got away with one." Anyway, I do get to catch a lot of other broadcast and I feel your assessment of the Lakers and Pacers announcers being in the same fasion as the Celtics and Bulls announcers is off.

As far as my favorite play-by-play announcer... It would be Ralph Lawler for the Clippers.

No one is as biased as Tommy Heinsohn. He's a self-proclaimed homer but that doesn't make him any easier to listen to.

I named the teams I think have the most biased announcers but didn't say that they are all equally homerish. They're just more homerish than the norm.

Roaming Gnome
04-03-2009, 01:48 PM
No one is as biased as Tommy Heinsohn. He's a self-proclaimed homer but that doesn't make him any easier to listen to.

I named the teams I think have the most biased announcers but didn't say that they are all equally homerish. They're just more homerish than the norm.

Fair enough... I guess I did overlook the "IMO" in your statement.

sweabs
04-03-2009, 04:30 PM
BTW, Matt Devlin of the Raptors is awful. Not only is he pretty bad on the homer level, but he's just not good at his job. Watch this:

t1ZRrUWkFlk

ABADays
04-03-2009, 04:40 PM

Exactly.