View Full Version : Taking nominations for our next 4

McKeyFan
03-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Jack
Rush
Granger
??????
Hibbert

This seems to be the lineup many on here are seeing as the future--perhaps even our regular starters for next year.

So who is the 4? Who can we trade or draft to fill the spot? Is he already on the roster?

My nomination is for Elton Brand. Doubt we can get him, but that's my two cents. With Jack as a credible, solid point guard but not a shot creator like T.J., we need a four who can create his own shot.

Naptown_Seth
03-28-2009, 11:06 PM
In my insanely unlikely dream that I dare to let creep into my head I have next year's main roster as:

Jack
Rush
T Williams
Granger
Hibbert

With Williams as the point forward. It's a bit small but Williams is such a good defender and Danny is a good help defender/shot blocker.

Honestly for the bigs I'd just as soon wait till next year and get either Samuels or Jennings from Louisville who seem likely to return and then destined to dominate as they help lead L'ville back toward the top. Aldrich might not come out till next year either.

Unless you can trade Dun or Troy for a decent price you aren't getting PF help from someone else. It's frustrating.

After TJ got used like a revolving door by the Bulls today I've slipped into outright disgust with him. Maybe he can be moved, but I'm not sure who you could get. Maybe JO at PF? ;) You have to admit that trading TJ for a replacement PF would be a bit ironic given the reasons Toronto did the deal.

UncleReg
03-29-2009, 12:56 AM
I'd have to agree with NaptownSeth's five. Just consider this rotation:

PG- Jack/TJ
SG- Rush/Daniels
SF- Dunleavy/T-Will
PF- Granger/Murphy
C- Hibbert/Foster

That is a SOLID 10-man rotation that can easily play .500 ball next year. The flexibility alone is exciting. We've seen that Jack and TJ can play together at times. Daniels and Dunleavy can play the 2 or 3. Granger can play 2, 3, or 4. Foster can play 4 or 5. And if we get T-Will, he can play the 2 or the 3 in a point-forward role.

UncleReg
03-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Honestly for the bigs I'd just as soon wait till next year and get either Samuels or Jennings from Louisville who seem likely to return and then destined to dominate as they help lead L'ville back toward the top.

I'm lovin' the attention youre giving to my Cards. But I would hold off all judgment on these two. Samuels has work to do and Jennings is sooo raw. They are only freshmen, and I think Jennings leaves after his third year while Samuels is about 55/45 on leaving next year versus staying on for a third year.

Roaming Gnome
03-29-2009, 01:29 AM
Troy Murphy...

He's not my ideal PF, but I don't see him going anywhere as long as Jim O'Brien is the coach. Troy has done a lot more then I ever expected this year and I can see that as a justification for the TPTB to keep him around. We can only hope to line up another front court backup for next year or hope McBob is ready for some more minutes.

CableKC
03-29-2009, 04:23 AM
Yeah....what Gnome said.....if we are talking beyond the 2011-2012 offseason...I have no clue. But for the next 2 seasons....it's gonna be Murphy....whether we like it or not.

But I think that we could get a decent PF that can play 20+ mpg if we trade Ford this offseason.

MillerTime
03-29-2009, 04:45 AM
I would love the Pacers to make a move for Bosh. Raps might not be able to resign Bosh in 2010 so to ensure that you don't lose him for nothing, the Raps might move him this offseason.

Raps are in desperate need of a swing-man. We could pick up Quis' option and move Dunleavy, Quis, Hibbert and this years pick (top 5 protected) for Bosh. That way the Raps get a great swing-man (Dunleavy), expirer (Quis), a young center (Hibbert) and a pick.

I don't mind parting with the pick this season (if we can something good in exchange) because this year's draft doesn't seem too great.

Probably wont happen. By the looks of it, we're not going to be making any major moves until 2011 when Dunleavy, Murphy, Ford, and Tinsley contracts are up (assuming that we dont trade some of them)

31andonly
03-29-2009, 05:41 AM
I would love the Pacers to make a move for Bosh. Raps might not be able to resign Bosh in 2010 so to ensure that you don't lose him for nothing, the Raps might move him this offseason.

Raps are in desperate need of a swing-man. We could pick up Quis' option and move Dunleavy, Quis, Hibbert and this years pick (top 5 protected) for Bosh. That way the Raps get a great swing-man (Dunleavy), expirer (Quis), a young center (Hibbert) and a pick.

I don't mind parting with the pick this season (if we can something good in exchange) because this year's draft doesn't seem too great.

Probably wont happen. By the looks of it, we're not going to be making any major moves until 2011 when Dunleavy, Murphy, Ford, and Tinsley contracts are up (assuming that we dont trade some of them)

I strongly think that there are at least 5-10 teams that can give better offers.

MillerTime
03-29-2009, 07:23 AM
I strongly think that there are at least 5-10 teams that can give better offers.

I strongly agree :D

Its merely a wish

Taterhead
03-29-2009, 02:23 PM
In my insanely unlikely dream that I dare to let creep into my head I have next year's main roster as:

Jack
Rush
T Williams
Granger
Hibbert

With Williams as the point forward. It's a bit small but Williams is such a good defender and Danny is a good help defender/shot blocker.

Honestly for the bigs I'd just as soon wait till next year and get either Samuels or Jennings from Louisville who seem likely to return and then destined to dominate as they help lead L'ville back toward the top. Aldrich might not come out till next year either.

Unless you can trade Dun or Troy for a decent price you aren't getting PF help from someone else. It's frustrating.

After TJ got used like a revolving door by the Bulls today I've slipped into outright disgust with him. Maybe he can be moved, but I'm not sure who you could get. Maybe JO at PF? ;) You have to admit that trading TJ for a replacement PF would be a bit ironic given the reasons Toronto did the deal.

Do you really want Danny taking a pounding battling bigs down low? I don't. That team would be very small, and since Hibbert isn't exactly Dwight Howard on the glass, Danny would be asked to do too much, JMO. Plus, we need Danny getting out in transition, not pounding the defensive boards.

I think we make due with Murphy for an other year. I do love Seths idea of getting Terrance Williams though, I just see him as a possible solution at PG more than a SF. A future perimeter of Williams, Rush and Granger could be lethal in 3 years. With Hibbert in the fold down low, possibly a new coach and tons of trade assets after next year, we would be in a great position. If Murphy continues his solid play, he could start becoming very attractive around trade deadline time next year.

idioteque
03-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Yeah....what Gnome said.....if we are talking beyond the 2011-2012 offseason...I have no clue. But for the next 2 seasons....it's gonna be Murphy....whether we like it or not.

Not necessarily, depends on who we draft and how they pan out, even though I'm not holding out any hope at least for next season that we'll have a PF better than Murphy on the roster.

Murphy is actually great as a 6th or 7th man and I think he likes Indy, I wouldn't mind trying to resign him to a much better contract (for us) after his contract now runs out. And showing how much I really think of Murphy, I wouldn't say the same about Dunleavy at this point, happy trails to him.

McKeyFan
03-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Troy Murphy...

He's not my ideal PF, but I don't see him going anywhere as long as Jim O'Brien is the coach. Troy has done a lot more then I ever expected this year and I can see that as a justification for the TPTB to keep him around. We can only hope to line up another front court backup for next year or hope McBob is ready for some more minutes.

If we have no 4 to add and stick with Troy, I say we have to keep T.J. as the main point guard.

We just don't have someone to create without TJ. Perhaps Jack's rebuke last week will lead to TJ getting his head out of his backside. There does seem to be a change, or at least an attempt at a change, with T.J.

Roy could also be our offensive creator. Smits pretty much played that role for the 94-95 team. But I think Hibbert is at least two years away before being able to play such a key role.

Merz
03-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Maybe if we could find a ninja, who is also a Pacers fan, we could get him to sneak into the draft lottery room and get the Pacers the first pick.

Griffin would fit in perfectly into that slot.

MillerTime
03-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Maybe if we could find a ninja, who is also a Pacers fan, we could get him to sneak into the draft lottery room and get the Pacers the first pick.

man I would be soooo happy if the Pacers won the lottery and got Griffin. Just imagine starting 5 of

Jack
Rush
Granger
Griffin
Hibbert

CableKC
03-29-2009, 11:38 PM
If we have no 4 to add and stick with Troy, I say we have to keep T.J. as the main point guard.

We just don't have someone to create without TJ. Perhaps Jack's rebuke last week will lead to TJ getting his head out of his backside. There does seem to be a change, or at least an attempt at a change, with T.J.

Roy could also be our offensive creator. Smits pretty much played that role for the 94-95 team. But I think Hibbert is at least two years away before being able to play such a key role.
This is pretty much true of BRush, Hibbert and whoever we draft over the next 2 seasons......no matter what we do....we are 2 years away from truly competing and putting together a team that will compete for a Champion due to our Financial/Salary Cap situation. Players like Dunleavy, Murphy, Ford, Foster and whatever Vets that we sign until the 2011-2012 offseason will be the "stop-gap" solutions that help us compete until Granger, BRush, Hibbert and whoever we draft over the next 2 seasons take over after our Financial/Salary Cap situation improves. That's when we can truly start competing for a Championship.....until then....we're just trying to get over the hump while developing our future young core of players.

McKeyFan
03-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Rush is ready now. I would have said that before the two 29 point games. His defense makes him a key factor already.

I'm not sure how much stop gapping these other guys are doing. We likely won't make the playoffs.

Murphy has played great, but we desperately need a defensive big with some kind of low post presence.

Foster cripples the offense down the stretch. He does make some great offensive rebounds, but that does not compensate for the offensive liabilities.

Rasho is done.

Hibbert needs a year or two, and even then he is a Smits-like finesse guy, not the tough big we really need.

There's got to be someone out there.

MillerTime
03-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Rush is ready now. I would have said that before the two 29 point games. His defense makes him a key factor already.

I'm not sure how much stop gapping these other guys are doing. We likely won't make the playoffs.

Murphy has played great, but we desperately need a defensive big with some kind of low post presence.

Foster cripples the offense down the stretch. He does make some great offensive rebounds, but that does not compensate for the offensive liabilities.

Rasho is done.

Hibbert needs a year or two, and even then he is a Smits-like finesse guy, not the tough big we really need.

There's got to be someone out there.

why not make a push for Amare? Suns seems to be playing a lot better without him

Major Cold
03-30-2009, 09:24 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ehQo7s_02sc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ehQo7s_02sc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

duke dynamite
03-30-2009, 09:32 AM
why not make a push for Amare? Suns seems to be playing a lot better without him
Wouldn't that be a sign not to get him?

MillerTime
03-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Wouldn't that be a sign not to get him?

not necessarily....Its giving Shaq more room in the middle and having 3 point shooters around him.

duke dynamite
03-30-2009, 10:05 AM
not necessarily....Its giving Shaq more room in the middle and having 3 point shooters around him.
Shaq is a good player, but I wouldn't include him in any long-term plans as a GM. Sure, he still plays at a high level, but how long before he doesn't get another ring and he hangs it all up?

Major Cold
03-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Oh yeah. Troy Murphy next to a vibrant and seasoned Roy is an improvement. But we do need a young athletic PF to come in for 10-15 minutes and more when injuries occur.

I would like the Pacers to sneak in and get another pick. I think that Patrick Patterson would be serviceable off of the bench. And I really think we will have a shot at getting a quality guard with a 9th pick. Tyreke Evans, Terrence Williams, Jeff Teague, DeRozan, and Willie Warren are all possible. But they are not the Eric Gordans, Westbrooks, Augustins, and Mayos of last years draft. We really need a good swing man to come off the bench and help when Jack, Rush, and Granger need a break.

The need is a swingman (who would have thought this 3 years ago) and a front court player.

Mr. Sobchak
03-30-2009, 01:05 PM
I don't know how much his height will be an issue in the NBA but I really like DeJuan Blair from Pitt. I haven't seen that kind of toughness out of a player in a long time. The guy sets bone crunching screens and gobbles up rebounds. We need some toughness on this team, IMO.

CableKC
03-30-2009, 01:26 PM

Ahhh....ever the optimist....if not wishful thinking.

As you well know by now.....like pretty much any other Top player that other teams do not want....although we can make an offer to the Suns for Amare, it's very likely that every other Team out there can make a better offer since we do not have the necessary pieces that would warrant any rational attention from the Suns FO. We would have to gut our Team of our core players, future draft picks along with taking on some other bad contracts in order for us to come up with an offer that the Suns would have to consider trading an All-Star level player like Amare to us.

Jonathan
03-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Murphy will be our 4 next year.

Draft- If we have number one pick Blake Griffen

Picks 9-13 Earl Clark, Aldrich, Patterson, or Monroe
I think Earl Clark and Patterson are the most athletic of the above four names.

We will take which ever one is available and works out the best for the Pacers.

Naptown_Seth
03-30-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm lovin' the attention youre giving to my Cards. But I would hold off all judgment on these two. Samuels has work to do and Jennings is sooo raw. They are only freshmen, and I think Jennings leaves after his third year while Samuels is about 55/45 on leaving next year versus staying on for a third year.
They were both two of the more polished post players I watched this year, far more than guys like Patterson or Mullins. I had no idea that Pitino had landed a pair of bigs like that, but I'm impressed. I hate to say it but I wouldn't expect either to be there after next year. Both are just slightly off par of where Arthur and Jackson were last year and both have managed to stick pretty well so far this year. Jackson's not burning it up but he's doing okay and he didn't really have any serious offensive post game. And both are bigger and stronger than Arthur whose claim to fame is great post moves/footwork only.

dohman
03-30-2009, 02:16 PM
What is everyones problem with murphy? He has been great for us this year 15 points and 11.8 rebounds a game. Shooting 44 percent from 3 and 47 percent from the floor. Those are good numbers for a PF. Once Hibbert develops we will have our big in the middle and murph will spread the D. Hibbert will benefit nicely from murphs style of play.

I wouldnt focus on the PF spot as much as I would the PG spot. We made a great improvement this year but it can still get better. Both guys are good PG's but neither are a PG that can will us to victory.

Mr. Sobchak
03-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Murphy will be our 4 next year.

Draft- If we have number one pick Blake Griffen

Picks 9-13 Earl Clark, Aldrich, Patterson, or Monroe
I think Earl Clark and Patterson are the most athletic of the above four names.

We will take which ever one is available and works out the best for the Pacers.

Earl Clark is not a power forward prospect. Unless you consider Shawne Williams to be a power forward.

LOCBLB613
03-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Earl Clark is not a power forward prospect. Unless you consider Shawne Williams to be a power forward.

how isn't earl clark a PF prospect? he's more athletic than williams was and he's not a bust like williams

UncleReg
03-30-2009, 04:42 PM
how isn't earl clark a PF prospect? he's more athletic than williams was and he's not a bust like williams

I think what he's saying is that he is a true SF.

CableKC
03-30-2009, 04:51 PM
I think what he's saying is that he is a true SF.
He's listed as a Tweener. Which position do you think he is best suited for?

Now, add in what you know of that we need for our Frontcourt rotation.....do you think that he would fit our needs ( Low-Post scoring / athletic / shotblocking / defensive PF )?

UncleReg
03-30-2009, 05:14 PM

Now, add in what you know of that we need for our Frontcourt rotation.....do you think that he would fit our needs ( Low-Post scoring / athletic / shotblocking / defensive PF )?

He is definitely better suited for the 3. On O, he is at his best when he catches the ball 18-20 feet out, faces up, and drives hard to the bucket. It seems like we are looking for a bruiser down-low to pair with Hibbert. Clark is not that kind of player. His low-post scoring is average. He has a few decent post moves, but will need to develop his low-post offense if he wants to play the 4. He is very long and athletic, which means he can get by guarding most 4's...

UncleReg
03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
They were both two of the more polished post players I watched this year, far more than guys like Patterson or Mullins. I had no idea that Pitino had landed a pair of bigs like that, but I'm impressed. I hate to say it but I wouldn't expect either to be there after next year. Both are just slightly off par of where Arthur and Jackson were last year and both have managed to stick pretty well so far this year. Jackson's not burning it up but he's doing okay and he didn't really have any serious offensive post game. And both are bigger and stronger than Arthur whose claim to fame is great post moves/footwork only.

They can leave next year, without a doubt. But I think Jennings needs at least two more years, while I'm still 50/50 on Samardo returning for a third year. But with the way Pitino develops his players, it's well within the realm of possibility of their being NBA ready after next season.

But based on this year, they have some work to do. Samuels needs to develop a midrange game. I am VERY confident that he can develop an excellent 15-foot jumper. He has a soft touch and great release on his shot. He just didn't need to step out and shoot this year because he played at the 5 and we had Earl and T-Will operating in the midrange; next year he will be in the 4 spot. He also needs to learn how to play above the rim when around the basket. Pitino said this would be his biggest adjustment in college because he's been so used to pushing around high school chumps and obviously got away with it. When he has his back to the basket, he has a very good baby hook; it's just that when he goes to his drop step he needs to be able to go up hard and over his defender. He'll learn this. Defensively he is a great shot blocker, which surprised me the most about his game. He needs to work harder on defensive boards and forcing bigger opponents out of the lane when they are trying to get position down low.

Jennings is set defensively. Great shot-blocker and great rebounder. But he is soo raw on offense. He has no post moves, no midrange game, and all his points came from either offensive boards underneath or great set ups by T-Will and occasionally from Earl.

I'm sure Samardo is a lotto pick barring any huge setbacks, but what do you think TJ's potential is? I'm thinking he can be a fringe lottery pick AT BEST, but it's tough to tell because he needs to develop a lot and I don't know what the draft landscape will look like in 1-2 years.

LOCBLB613
03-30-2009, 05:55 PM

all 3 of em

Mr. Sobchak
03-30-2009, 06:37 PM
all 3 of em

:bs::censored:

Not to sound harsh but you have to be out of your mind if you think that's how Clark plays. Do you watch any college basketball at all? Maybe you have mistaken him for Samardo Samuels or something. The reason I threw out the Shawne Williams comparison is because they play a lot alike. Both are tall, lanky, and smooth small forwards. Clark's strengths are his ball handling ability and passing. The guy is listed at 220-230 lbs. Can you really see him muscling for a rebound using a post move on someone like Dwight Howard or Tim Duncan? -- that's just not going to happen.

I'm sure Seth can validate all of this. What do you think Seth, do you see Clark as a legitmate post presence in the NBA?

CableKC
03-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Here is a personal assessment by UncleReg on Earl Clark ( who appears to follow Louisville fairly closely ).

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showpost.php?p=868078&postcount=543

Mr. Sobchak
03-30-2009, 07:25 PM
In terms of situation, if he is a 4, he has no chance. He is a 3, no if's, and's, or but's about it.

This about sums up my sentiments exactly.

DisapointedPacerFan
03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Josh McRoberts :D

But in all honesty, I think that position will be filled in the draft.

purdue101
03-30-2009, 09:43 PM
I think Murph will work just fine for next year, but I agree, we need a young "back to the basket" 4 for the future. I'm not convinced we can get one at 7-9 in the draft as I think both Griffin (obviously) and Hill will be gone. The others I don't really care for (Blair, Hansborough, etc.) as I think they will be mediocre NBA'ers.

A name I keep coming too is Jason Thompson of the Kings. He looks very promising. If the Kings somehow land Griffin (which is very probable) then I can't imagine them not shopping Thompson for a starting PG.

Something like TJ, Foster, future protected pick for Thompson, Kenny T (expiring), and filler works.

We could then use our pick on a flyer PG to groom behind Jack (Teague, T. Evans, Lawson, Manor, etc).

Jack/Teague
Rush/Dun
Granger/Dun
Murph/Thompson
Hib/Thompson

Nice young 8 man core there.

rm1369
03-30-2009, 10:34 PM
What is everyones problem with murphy?

My primary concern is that he is very poor on D. He's not a good post defender, he certainly can't guard smaller 4's on the perimeter, and he offers almost no shot blocking / altering. His recognition of team D may be OK, but he's slow to react and get in position, IMO.

His offensive game is primarily based on being forgotten. He can be easily guarded if the D adjusts. I expect that his numbers would drop significantly in the playoffs as opposing coaches and players really focus in on what he does. Eliminate his 3 pt shot after trailing in transition and his numbers will drop.

Once Hibbert develops we will have our big in the middle and murph will spread the D. Hibbert will benefit nicely from murphs style of play.

IMO you are focused on the wrong side of the floor. This team has shown the ability to score with or without Murphy. The primary problem is on D and a Hibbert / Murphy front court will always be weak on D and outclassed athleticaly. The permiter D gets better with either Marquis or Rush in the lineup. Until we also correct the interior D this team will struggle.

Plax80
03-31-2009, 12:51 AM
Jack
Rush
Granger
??????
Hibbert

This seems to be the lineup many on here are seeing as the future--perhaps even our regular starters for next year.

So who is the 4? Who can we trade or draft to fill the spot? Is he already on the roster?

My nomination is for Elton Brand. Doubt we can get him, but that's my two cents. With Jack as a credible, solid point guard but not a shot creator like T.J., we need a four who can create his own shot.

A couple of real interesting scenarios for me would be:

1. Acquire Al fariq-Aminu with teh 10th pick in teh draft and :

2. Try and move either Ford or even Rush long with a 2nd for a pick in the low teens to acquire Gerald Henderson from Duke.

That gives you two long term replacemnets for Dunleavy and Murphy and a real nice core of Aminu, Granger and GH. With Hibbert and Jack..........not a bad group and you would have boatloads of cap space in a couple more years. Dun and Murph could possibly be moved as well as Ford ..........I'd love to find a team willing to make a deal involving a high #1 posiitoning us for Thabeet.

Maybe the Clips would look at a Dunleavy trade involving their #1 pick......with us taking back a bad contract like Kaman . Hibbert would have to be included as well I'm sure:

09-10 Pacers:

1: Jack Jonny Flynn/Patty Mills Diener
2: Henderson Rush
3: Granger
4: Murphy Aminu
5: Kaman Thabeet

Now there is a team with some talent that could develop into a serious threat in the EC within 2-3 years. I wouldn't want to part with Hibbert either.......but a frontline in 2 years of Granger, Aminu and Thabeet would be pretty ridiculous.........on the level of Roy, Aldridge and Oden.

CableKC
03-31-2009, 01:36 AM
I think Murph will work just fine for next year, but I agree, we need a young "back to the basket" 4 for the future. I'm not convinced we can get one at 7-9 in the draft as I think both Griffin (obviously) and Hill will be gone. The others I don't really care for (Blair, Hansborough, etc.) as I think they will be mediocre NBA'ers.

A name I keep coming too is Jason Thompson of the Kings. He looks very promising. If the Kings somehow land Griffin (which is very probable) then I can't imagine them not shopping Thompson for a starting PG.

Something like TJ, Foster, future protected pick for Thompson, Kenny T (expiring), and filler works.

We could then use our pick on a flyer PG to groom behind Jack (Teague, T. Evans, Lawson, Manor, etc).

Jack/Teague
Rush/Dun
Granger/Dun
Murph/Thompson
Hib/Thompson

Nice young 8 man core there.
Not bad......I would consider it....but I'm guessing that it would make more sense as Thompson+Nocioni for TJ+Foster. Makes more sense salarywise. But this is probably wishful thinking on our part.

CableKC
03-31-2009, 01:38 AM
2. Try and move either Ford or even Rush long with a 2nd for a pick in the low teens to acquire Gerald Henderson from Duke.

That gives you two long term replacemnets for Dunleavy and Murphy and a real nice core of Aminu, Granger and GH.
Why move BRush to get Henderson? Why couldn't BRush be considered a replacement for Dunleavy?

Plax80
03-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Why move BRush to get Henderson? Why couldn't BRush be considered a replacement for Dunleavy?

Henderson is a much better player than Rush. Think of paul Pierce vs Morris Peterson. He would be a guy that could create on his own, get to the line with ease and hit the jumper whereas Rush is weak with te ball in his hands.

UncleReg
03-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Henderson is a much better player than Rush. Think of paul Pierce vs Morris Peterson. He would be a guy that could create on his own, get to the line with ease and hit the jumper whereas Rush is weak with te ball in his hands.

Henderson's ability to create his own shot is still in question...

stevekun
03-31-2009, 05:49 PM
They can leave next year, without a doubt. But I think Jennings needs at least two more years, while I'm still 50/50 on Samardo returning for a third year. But with the way Pitino develops his players, it's well within the realm of possibility of their being NBA ready after next season.

But based on this year, they have some work to do. Samuels needs to develop a midrange game. I am VERY confident that he can develop an excellent 15-foot jumper. He has a soft touch and great release on his shot. He just didn't need to step out and shoot this year because he played at the 5 and we had Earl and T-Will operating in the midrange; next year he will be in the 4 spot. He also needs to learn how to play above the rim when around the basket. Pitino said this would be his biggest adjustment in college because he's been so used to pushing around high school chumps and obviously got away with it. When he has his back to the basket, he has a very good baby hook; it's just that when he goes to his drop step he needs to be able to go up hard and over his defender. He'll learn this. Defensively he is a great shot blocker, which surprised me the most about his game. He needs to work harder on defensive boards and forcing bigger opponents out of the lane when they are trying to get position down low.

Jennings is set defensively. Great shot-blocker and great rebounder. But he is soo raw on offense. He has no post moves, no midrange game, and all his points came from either offensive boards underneath or great set ups by T-Will and occasionally from Earl.

I'm sure Samardo is a lotto pick barring any huge setbacks, but what do you think TJ's potential is? I'm thinking he can be a fringe lottery pick AT BEST, but it's tough to tell because he needs to develop a lot and I don't know what the draft landscape will look like in 1-2 years.

I would really like getting Clark. I think he would develop nicely here and get the playing time he needs

Trophy
03-31-2009, 10:07 PM
Troy Murphy...

He's not my ideal PF, but I don't see him going anywhere as long as Jim O'Brien is the coach. Troy has done a lot more then I ever expected this year and I can see that as a justification for the TPTB to keep him around.

I agree with you here O'Brien wouldn't trade away Troy especially what he's done this season. Troy is the kind of PF O'Brien loves. He is a great 3 point shooter and averages nearly 12 RPG so I don't see any kind of moves happening. I wouldn't want any moves to happen. There aren't too many players similar to him in the league currently.

MillerTime
03-31-2009, 10:18 PM
I agree with you here O'Brien wouldn't trade away Troy especially what he's done this season. Troy is the kind of PF O'Brien loves. He is a great 3 point shooter and averages nearly 12 RPG so I don't see any kind of moves happening. I wouldn't want any moves to happen. There aren't too many players similar to him in the league currently.

trading Murphy this season could happen. His value has never been this high. We still need a PF that has some low post presence

DrBadd01
03-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Tyler Hansbrough

BlueNGold
03-31-2009, 11:43 PM
trading Murphy this season could happen. His value has never been this high. We still need a PF that has some low post presence

His value has peaked.

On paper, Murphy is nothing but an all star. Very, very impressive numbers. However, in the 4th quarter of tight games, his value plummets because he cannot help you get stops and is not the type of player to convert tough, contested shots. If a player cannot do either of those things, his value is not that high and an 8 figure contract is too high. If that were not the case, Murphy would be easy to trade, even with his contract.

Edit: it is highly likely Murph will remain our starting PF next year unless we get very lucky in the draft. We have very few assets to trade that would return anything better than Murph, Foster and McRoberts....so get used to a Murph and Hibbert frontcourt.

Midcoasted
03-31-2009, 11:56 PM
How great would it be if we could get Shaq his last season? The reason why I like it is it will bring attention here, and we could compete for a ring IMO.

Itwould help develop Hibbert. Maybe Shaq will take him under his wing and teach him how to be more physical. HOpefully Mcroberts improves and can be our backup physical PF.

I love this lineup.

Jack/Ford
Rush/Dunleavy
Granger
Murphy/McRoberts
O'neal/Hibbert

I really think we could do some damage with that 9 man rotation. Add in a 10th due to the draft and Diener providing quality third PG minutes and we are competing for a championship. Rush is ready and O'Neal would bring the physical post presence we have. Hibbert will progress by the time O'Neal retires.

How could we get our hands on Shaq?

Midcoasted
03-31-2009, 11:59 PM
His value has peaked.

On paper, Murphy is nothing but an all star. Very, very impressive numbers. However, in the 4th quarter of tight games, his value plummets because he cannot help you get stops and is not the type of player to convert tough, contested shots. If a player cannot do either of those things, his value is not that high and an 8 figure contract is too high. If that were not the case, Murphy would be easy to trade, even with his contract.

Edit: it is highly likely Murph will remain our starting PF next year unless we get very lucky in the draft. We have very few assets to trade that would return anything better than Murph, Foster and McRoberts....so get used to a Murph and Hibbert frontcourt.

I just can't agree with that assesment. I think Murphy on a team that has a dominant low post player beside him would thrive. The defense gets tighter late in the games and the defense collapses the wing because we have no dominant low post presence. Beside a dominant big man teams will not be able to cheat gaurding the Murphy on the wing because they will be collapsing to gaurd the dominant post player. Imagine Murphy next to Dwight Howard? He would spread the floor BIG TIME, really opening things up for himself and Howard.