View Full Version : Granger: Forget Points, I Want To Win

Kemo
03-28-2009, 12:48 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090327/SPORTS04/903270367/1088/SPORTS04

Granger: Forget Points, I Want To Win

By Mike Wells
Posted: March 27, 2009

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Granger_Danny_ind.jpg

Danny Granger's frustration was put into perspective nine days ago.

Granger had just tallied his 17th 30-point game, but the Indiana Pacers had lost. Again. Rather than stick around to talk about his performance, Granger exited the locker room quickly.

"It's not about what I did," he said several days later. "I didn't want to say anything that would get me in trouble. I could (not) care less about scoring the points. It makes me more mad if I score a lot and we lose. It's been a tough year for us."

Granger's career-best season has been one of the few bright spots on a team that will have a losing record and likely miss the playoffs for the third consecutive year.

He is sixth in the league in scoring at 24.8 points per game. He made his first All-Star appearance. And he'll likely be in the running for the league's Most Improved Player award after increasing his scoring five-plus points for the third consecutive season.

So what, he said.

Individual accomplishments don't matter when the team is faltering.

"Making the All-Star team was one of my goals when the season started," Granger said. "But I don't want to hear about being an All-Star anymore. It's done now. It's about the success of the team. No one looks at if you were an All-Star. They look at how successful you've been as a team. We haven't been successful."

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said Granger has told teammates scoring isn't the most important objective.

"You can definitely tell he's matured," O'Brien said. "He wants to be in the playoffs. He's all about winning. It's not a matter of playing for a contract because he's already got his contract."

The Pacers haven't made the playoffs since Granger's rookie season in 2005-06. They're a combined 101-135 since the 2006-07 season.

"I came to a franchise that made the playoffs on a regular basis, then this trade happened, that trade happened," Granger said. "The next thing you know, we're at the bottom of the league.

"We've had different players come in and different players leave each year. I think when we get that base of players we know (will) be here, then we can make some strides."

The Pacers are in the first year of their rebuilding plan.

They were expected to struggle after adding seven new players. Mike Dunleavy's knee injury added to the problems. Dunleavy played just 18 games before having season-ending surgery.

Dunleavy's absence put pressure on Granger to score and be even more of a leader.

"Danny doesn't say a lot, which isn't necessary to be a leader; he's led by example this season," president Larry Bird said. "He's one of those guys that takes the game serious. He does things before, during and after practice that are supposed to be done to improve. The other players see that."

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

Bball
03-28-2009, 02:34 AM
FWIW... Bird had a problem with JO's leadership but he doesn't seem to be having the same issue with Granger's.

"Danny doesn't say a lot, which isn't necessary to be a leader; he's led by example this season," president Larry Bird said. "He's one of those guys that takes the game serious. He does things before, during and after practice that are supposed to be done to improve. The other players see that."

-Bball

YoSoyIndy
03-28-2009, 07:59 AM
FWIW... Bird had a problem with JO's leadership but he doesn't seem to be having the same issue with Granger's.

-Bball

Are you saying Granger's leadership style is similar to JO's?

Tom White
03-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Are you saying Granger's leadership style is similar to JO's?

I think Bball is saying the opposite. That Granger actually is a leader (at least in Bird's eyes), and that JO only talked leadership.

For what it is worth, I agree with that.

MillerTime
03-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Its great to see a scorer not worried about personal numbers and have more concern about the teams record

YoSoyIndy
03-28-2009, 11:31 AM
I think Bball is saying the opposite. That Granger actually is a leader (at least in Bird's eyes), and that JO only talked leadership.

For what it is worth, I agree with that.

Gotcha -- looking at my question I can see how it sounds accusatory. I was attempting to clarify before responding.

I agree with your statement -- Granger is and JO was not. JO could have been -- he was too self-absorbed. He wanted to be Duncan/Garnett so bad that he forgot what made them so good beyond playing ability.

Trader Joe
03-28-2009, 12:42 PM
You could have seen Bird or anyone else in the NBA make the same sort of comment about Reggie and his leadership style ten years ago.

Will Galen
03-28-2009, 12:59 PM
You could have seen Bird or anyone else in the NBA make the same sort of comment about Reggie and his leadership style ten years ago.

True, and he was good at showing professionalism, but otherwise his leadership wasn't very good.

Mark Jackson was the real leader when he was here. And after the finals when that team was broken up, when Reggie should have shown leadership he proclaimed JO the leader, which looking back probably hurt more than helped.

Unlike Reggie, I think Danny will lead if he sees the need.

Bball
03-28-2009, 01:53 PM
I was commenting on Bird's approach to the 2 players. Either he believes Granger is the leader that JO never became, or he's taking a different approach with Granger and his comments.

I easily believe Granger is a better leader AND teammate than JO.

rexnom
03-28-2009, 01:56 PM
I was commenting on Bird's approach to the 2 players. Either he believes Granger is the leader that JO never became, or he's taking a different approach with Granger and his comments.

I easily believe Granger is a better leader AND teammate than JO.
Well, I doubt it's the latter. Bird isn't a coddler and he doesn't bull****. He seems to call out his own players (in a good way) and challenge them to be what they can be. I think some guys, like Danny, take such exhortations better than others, like JO.