PDA

View Full Version : DG should retire a Pacer! Who do you think DG plays like?

ReginaldWayne
03-26-2009, 01:25 AM
hold on.... Granger is a beast. Fortunately we can have him for the next 5 yrs bc off the contract, but once its void, we should give him what ever salary he wants. He should retire a pacer. He will be given the same love number 31 was given. Basically we gta keep em for good bc he can be the ultimate 2nd guy on your team for whenever we finally get that 1 guy. It would be cool to get a big man that scores down low or a big gaurd like James Harden to make danny the number 2 option in a few years.

Basically bottom line is that if we have Danny Granger for his next 12 seasons, we should have a ring in Indiana. It will just all depend on wheres positioned on the court and with who???

Who do you think danny plays simiar to??????

He plays like a mixture between: Kevin Durant

DANNY GRANGER Ray Allen

Danny has the ability to be the type of Kevin Durant with his offnese beacaue DG has that stroke from the outside same as Durant, and drive in the paint and get a score to fall, and both have that midrange games.

KD, i would say its on the same level of defense at this point of their carriers, neither are that great, but no below average, DG can give you some good help side D blocks though which is good. DG could actually be out there guarding iverson, so he pretty versatile when it come to that, IDK if KD could take that assignment

KD looks to have a killer extinct on offense though oh his team, something danny may not have at this point, though weve seen some huge shots by DG this seas.

Danny Granger, the 6''9' Ray Allen.lol DG just reminds me ray allen a lot. Allen has always been a great shooter hes gna break the record so obvious danny aint no allen at the line. But he does have a sweet stroke from 3 that you can count on him being 40% 3ptL, if he plays another 12 seasons or so he would have a 40% 3pfl 8 times out of 12 seasons i think. Thats pretty consistent. And he shoots a lot of em so me have a lot of makes by the end of his career also. DG also can utilize off ball screens effectively at this point , hee rarely stops movin goin throu a lot separated picks and tries to find an open midrange. Hes not quite the dribbler Ray is, but thats obviously improving.

duke dynamite
03-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Danny Granger plays like Danny Granger.

DocHolliday
03-26-2009, 08:38 AM
He plays like a mixture between: Kevin Durant

DANNY GRANGER Ray Allen

I wish DG was a mixture of Kevin Durant and Ray Allen.

idioteque
03-26-2009, 08:40 AM
I don't necessarily think it is an insult to compare players to each other, but Granger is his own animal. I don't really know of anyone I could fairly compare him to.

naptownmenace
03-26-2009, 09:27 AM
He reminds me of Paul Pierce more than anyone else. Paul is a better passer but Danny, at this stage in his career, is really reminiscent of him.

ReginaldWayne
03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
I wish DG was a mixture of Kevin Durant and Ray Allen.

Your wish came thru.

Naptown_Seth
03-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Didn't you hear the announcement about the brown acid?
Just relax man, it's gonna be okay. Just mellow out and try to stay cool, just let the jams wash over you and bring you back from that bad trip.

:hippie:

ReginaldWayne
03-26-2009, 10:58 AM
riight riiight.

Doddage
03-26-2009, 01:23 PM
He reminds me of Paul Pierce more than anyone else. Paul is a better passer but Danny, at this stage in his career, is really reminiscent of him.
Granger doesn't have the ability of Pierce to handle the ball well in traffic, or the ability to finish shots at the basket consistently. They're similar in that they're capable of getting to the line at a high rate, but Granger has some flaws to work on before being compared to Pierce.

Kstat
03-26-2009, 03:30 PM
granger isnt ray allen or kevin durant. he's danny granger.

ReginaldWayne
03-26-2009, 03:56 PM
ok im not saying hes ray allen or KD, im saying he reminds me of a mix btw the 2. A lot of the same things they both have he has in 1 really unique one of a kind body type.

Trophy
03-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Danny Granger plays like Danny Granger.

Yeah I agree. He plays a unique style of basketball not like other players do.

Kstat
03-26-2009, 04:30 PM
ok im not saying hes ray allen or KD, im saying he reminds me of a mix btw the 2. A lot of the same things they both have he has in 1 really unique one of a kind body type.

...which is silly, because nobody has the things kevin durant has, and nobody had the things ray allen had in his prime. Granger isn't any more unique than kevin durant or ray allen.

ReginaldWayne
03-26-2009, 04:41 PM
...which is silly, because nobody has the things kevin durant has, and nobody had the things ray allen had in his prime. Granger isn't any more unique than kevin durant or ray allen.

Well we will see what Granger is able to do once he reaches his prime. But Ray is a .398 shooter career from 3 and Danny so far is .391, Im not saying hes as good a shooter from 3, bc he isnt, but hes still a pretty consistent 3 point shooter in only his 4th season. He uses screens well and can score off of them like ray, not quite the ball handler, but he is 6'9''. Hes kind of like Durant bc the body type, both good shooters with height and are versatile.

Basically what I also wanted to say was I think If we ever get a real number one option who can do a lot of things offensively Danny could be one of the all time best complimentary players ever. Hes that talented and getting better. I think he can bring us a ring. I also think if he was playing on the Bulls in Scottie Pippens place he would have 6 rings also.

Kstat
03-26-2009, 05:16 PM
good god. you just compared a 4th year player evenly to a hall of fame player, maybe the best two-way forward of all time.

Let him play a little more before you start putting him in the hall of fame.

Trader Joe
03-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Danny Granger plays like a platypus...duh.

stevo
03-26-2009, 07:03 PM
I think when he came out people PROJECTED he MIGHT have the
same kinda impact that Scottie Pippen did. So far I believe this has been
the closest assessment of what could be on the horizon. even if he never
wins a title.. Today he is just Danny to me.

ReginaldWayne
03-26-2009, 09:28 PM
good god. you just compared a 4th year player evenly to a hall of fame player, maybe the best two-way forward of all time.

hall a famer who contributed very little in all 6 final series.

MrSparko
03-26-2009, 10:09 PM
hall a famer who contributed very little in all 6 final series.

Scottie Pippen has more talent than everyone on this Pacers team combined. If Granger ends up half the player he was we should be counting our lucky stars.

ReginaldWayne
03-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Scottie Pippen has more talent than everyone on this Pacers team combined. If Granger ends up half the player he was we should be counting our lucky stars.

If you never saw Pippen in the regular season, and only saw him in the 6 final series, you would think he is nothing special what so ever.

Noodle
03-26-2009, 11:05 PM
I hope Danny retires a Pacer.

He is not a Pippen. Pippen was a better passer and a better thief. Danny is not the rebounder that Pippen was either(he does have potential though). Danny is a better shooter, shot blocker, and contrary to popular belief, Danny is a better athlete. So, as you can see there really is no valid comparison.

I think Danny's ceiling is Paul Peirce, but stronger physically. Honestly, Danny is Danny. I just hope he stays a Pacer.

GrangerRanger
03-26-2009, 11:09 PM
What kind of argument is that? Literally. You base your entire perspective on one of the greatest players of all time from 6 games? Being the second best player on a team that made it to the finals 6 times (and wins it) automatically makes you great, no matter how well you performed in that game. When Danny Granger ascends the throne of greatness, laces up his tennis shoes for 6 NBA championship games (and wins them) then people can start talking of how he's on his level. When he wins seven, we can talk about being "better".

Scottie Pippen was great on a great team. Danny Granger is "good" on a **** team. There is such a massive and wide difference there that it's unbelievable someone is actually having this conversation.

ReginaldWayne
03-26-2009, 11:19 PM
What kind of argument is that? Literally. You base your entire perspective on one of the greatest players of all time from 6 games? Being the second best player on a team that made it to the finals 6 times (and wins it) automatically makes you great, no matter how well you performed in that game. When Danny Granger ascends the throne of greatness, laces up his tennis shoes for 6 NBA championship games (and wins them) then people can start talking of how he's on his level. When he wins seven, we can talk about being "better".

Scottie Pippen was great on a great team. Danny Granger is "good" on a **** team. There is such a massive and wide difference there that it's unbelievable someone is actually having this conversation.

6 series. The Finals. Where you make your name. Performed horribly in the finals series each year. The fact of the matter is, they would have won the 6 rings regardless of Pippen, if he was on the floor or not. I suggest you go buy that Chicago Bulls DVD pack of all 6 series and all the games like i did.. Then ull know what im talking about.

All i was saying is that, If there no were such thing as scottie pippen, and Danny Granger played for the bulls in that era instead, he would also have the same 6 rings. Would ppl like yall call him a HOFer? One of the greatest of all time?

Pacersfan46
03-26-2009, 11:41 PM
All i was saying is that, If there no were such thing as scottie pippen, and Danny Granger played for the bulls in that era instead, he would also have the same 6 rings. Would ppl like yall call him a HOFer? One of the greatest of all time?

If Eddie Gill played those years with MJ he'd have 6 rings too. What's your point?

Also, Pippen is one of the greatest, yes. When Jordan retired he still led that team to 55 wins without him. Granger can't lead this team to a .500 record. Not to mention I don't know what your measure of playing badly in those 6 series is, but I doubt he played that badly. Offense can come and go, but his defense was always suffocating.

Come on.

-- Steve --

Midcoasted
03-27-2009, 12:54 AM
If Eddie Gill played those years with MJ he'd have 6 rings too. What's your point?

Also, Pippen is one of the greatest, yes. When Jordan retired he still led that team to 55 wins without him. Granger can't lead this team to a .500 record. Not to mention I don't know what your measure of playing badly in those 6 series is, but I doubt he played that badly. Offense can come and go, but his defense was always suffocating.

Come on.

-- Steve --

That's not a fair assesment of Granger at all. The Bulls team without Jordan not counting Pippen was more talented than the team we have as of now. Granger could easily lead this team to that many wins in the future.

duke dynamite
03-27-2009, 09:32 AM
I find it hilarious that we find ourselves having this conversation often.

Who does Danny Granger resemble? Who does he play like?

Danny is great...awesome...spectacular, but until we win games, not much of that is going to matter. For the sake of individual stats, sure, Danny is a beast, but the Pacers aren't making that big of a splash. Other than beating a good team here and there.

You're only as good as your team. Going back to talking about Pip and MJ, they weren't just good, they were on great teams. Each player had a role, and contributed towards being a dynasty.

However you see Danny as a player is fine with me, but it just doesn't mean a whole lot until you win.

WetBob
03-27-2009, 09:41 AM

The Pacers Digest, ladies and gentlemen.

You've been around, don't act like it's something new or unusual.

WetBob
03-27-2009, 09:42 AM
That's not a fair assesment of Granger at all. The Bulls team without Jordan not counting Pippen was more talented than the team we have as of now. Granger could easily lead this team to that many wins in the future.

Are you high? This team doesn't have the talent to win 55 games with Jordan, let alone Granger.

Dr. Goldfoot
03-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Are you talking about his complete finals history or the last six game series. Either way, he was pretty impressive. In 35 finals games, he averaged 8 boards, 6 assists, 2 steals and 19 points. His last finals appearance was subpar for Pippen but seriously the Pacers could use a guy who goes for 16/7/5.

WetBob
03-27-2009, 10:00 AM
but seriously the Pacers could use a guy who goes for 16/7/5.

Haha, we don't need no stinkin' 16/7/5. We have DG.

ReginaldWayne
03-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Did you watch the games or just check out the stats? He seemed non existent on the court.

Pacersfan46
03-27-2009, 11:10 AM

How much more talented were they?

http://www.databasebasketball.com/teams/teamyear.htm?tm=CHI&lg=N&yr=1993

I don't see a god awful amount of talent on that team, and they won 55 games. I see nothing but role players, and Pippen. Horace Grant being the only player from that team I'd really be excited if DG had a player like that around him.

I see 3 all star appearances on that team. Horace Grant got 1, I'd say much the way Dale Davis got one. Bill Cartwright had one but he was 10 years removed from that. BJ Armstrong was an All-Star the season in question, but with 15 points, 2 rebounds and 4 assists per, I'm guessing it was more an appearance because of the win total, but nobody else on the team besides Pippen obviously deserving.

Like I said, there wasn't that much talent on that team.

-- Steve --

ReginaldWayne
03-27-2009, 11:17 AM
The Pacers Digest, ladies and gentlemen.

You've been around, don't act like it's something new or unusual.

right, and a concussion is just a head ache.

Thats what your saying, I didnt compare him to Pippen in the first place, nor did I put DG in the Hall of of Fame. I said if he was on the team instead of Pippen, they would have still won 6 finals, which i truly believe. Pippen was missing open lay ups and open jump shots frustrating MJ and they wouldve even won the finals if Pippen was not on the court.

Kstat
03-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Thats what your saying, I didnt compare him to Pippen in the first place, nor did I put DG in the Hall of of Fame. I said if he was on the team instead of Pippen, they would have still won 6 finals, which i truly believe. Pippen was missing open lay ups and open jump shots frustrating MJ and they wouldve even won the finals if Pippen was not on the court.

You just said he could have duplicated the career of one of the best small forwards ever. Basically, comparing him to pippen is what you just did.

ReginaldWayne
03-27-2009, 11:41 AM
You just said he could have duplicated the career of one of the best small forwards ever. Basically, comparing him to pippen is what you just did.

ok, interpret what im saying how ever you would like. I cant make it any more clear, as good as Pippen was, the bulls would have still had 6 rings with DG on the team instead. Im not comparing there games, Im just stating an opinion, after watching all the final series, that I know to be true. As good as Pippen was in the regular season, he just did not show up in the finals year in and year out. You can call him the best small forward of all time, but not showing up late in the play offs takes a lot away from him as far as im concerned.

Trader Joe
03-27-2009, 11:46 AM
right, and a concussion is just a head ache.

God that will never get old. That's right up there with That's how I live my life now, going PFFL, speedbag, and good-azz defense.

Pacersfan46
03-27-2009, 12:30 PM
ok, interpret what im saying how ever you would like. I cant make it any more clear, as good as Pippen was, the bulls would have still had 6 rings with DG on the team instead. Im not comparing there games, Im just stating an opinion, after watching all the final series, that I know to be true. As good as Pippen was in the regular season, he just did not show up in the finals year in and year out. You can call him the best small forward of all time, but not showing up late in the play offs takes a lot away from him as far as im concerned.

I think you're overly exaggerating his 'disappearing act' to be quite honest. The stats look similar to what you'd expect, and even with 15 points per game he's going to effect the game greatly on defense.

I believe Pippen can score 15 and effect the game more so than many games where Granger scores 25. Their defense is just that far apart.

-- Steve --

Dr. Goldfoot
03-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Here's some meat and potatoes (http://www.nba.com/bulls/history/pippen10_moments.html)

It includes such doozies as

'92 Finals
Furious Fourth Quarter Comeback Led By Pippen, Reserves
"Chicago’s 33-14 domination in the final frame was just enough for the Bulls to secure the 97-93 victory. (http://www.nba.com/media/bulls/boxscore_920614.pdf) The star of the miraculous rally, Pippen, finished the game with 26 points (9-of-17 shooting, 6-of-9 from the line), five rebounds and four boards."

'97 Finals
Ultimate Teammate Comes Through Again
"In what he called a desperation game, Pippen scored 17 points, (http://www.nba.com/media/bulls/boxscore_970611.pdf) grabbed 10 rebounds and dished out five assists for the Bulls, who recovered from a 16-point first-half deficit and an eight-point hole early in the fourth. He also connected on 7-of-9 from the free-throw line."

'97 Finals
Late Steal Put the Fifth Title on Ice
"
“Scottie Pippen and I, we’re a tandem,” Jordan said after being named the series most valuable player. “It’s hard to split us up. He means a lot to me when I go out to play on the basketball court. He relieves a lot of the pressure that I have to deal with. I try to do the same for him. It’s hard to take this MVP by myself.”
Utah’s Stockton cited Pippen’s defense as a major factor in the series: “Scottie was in the way a lot for all of us. He plays center field, and he does it well.”
On a night in which he seemed to do all of the dirty work, Pippen also was the only Bull besides Jordan to crack double digits, finishing with 23 points. He also recorded nine rebounds, (http://www.nba.com/media/bulls/boxscore_970613.pdf) three blocked shots and two steals in 43 minutes.

<table width="150" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td> <!--url's used in the movie--> <!--text used in the movie--> <!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet --> <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="10best" width="150" align="middle" height="150">

<embed src="http://www.nba.com/media/bulls/10best.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" name="10best" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" width="150" align="middle" height="150"> </object></td></tr></tbody></table> “A lot of people watch scorers, and Michael is the greatest scorer ever, but Scottie’s defense was a one-man wrecking crew tonight,” remarked Bulls coach Phil Jackson. “People who see the game as a whole see what he does on the basketball court.”"</p>

'91 Finals
World Champions for the First Time
"
In the Chicago’s first-ever NBA Finals appearance, Scottie Pippen took the primary responsibility of guarding Magic Johnson in 1991 versus the Los Angeles Lakers.
Pippen’s stellar defensive effort altered the scope of the series and set the standard for teams searching for a taller, more athletic point guard to shut down opposing point guards."

"Wherever Johnson went, he was hounded by the fourth-year Pippen, who combined to pressure his every step and harassed him into 22 turnovers."

"Pippen led all scorers in the decisive fifth game (http://www.nba.com/media/bulls/boxscore_910612.pdf) with 32 points and 13 boards and averaged 21.6 points, 8.9 rebounds, 5.8 assists, and 2.47 steals in 17 postseason games as Chicago earned its first title in its 25 years of existence."

Dr. Goldfoot
03-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Btw, I'm only referring to your comment that Pippen was an insignificant player in the finals. He clearly wasn't.

ReginaldWayne
03-27-2009, 12:59 PM
lol you got that from the chicago bulls website.

Dr. Goldfoot
03-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Saying a guy who averaged 20 points in 35 NBA finals games but is better remembered for his defense in those same games wasn't key is silly. I leave you with this Phil Jackson quote.....

“People who see the game as a whole see what he does on the basketball court."

Noodle
03-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Thank you, Goldfoot for telling the truth, it's abundantly clear that Mr. Reginald wants us to be convinced by his redundant rethoric. Apparently, Pip was a overrated bum with six piggyback rings. Hopefully, you temporarily put this argument to rest.

Still feel Pippen is a bad comparison. Fans and media alike jumped on this when Artest compared the two. Artest brought it up first. Therefore, credibility destroyed. Peirce is the better comparison.

ReginaldWayne
03-27-2009, 01:19 PM
whatever you say, he mentioned 4 games. Please jsut watch the finals series and then tell me what you think.

duke dynamite
03-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Thank you, Goldfoot for telling the truth, it's abundantly clear that Mr. Reginald wants us to be convinced by his redundant rethoric. Apparently, Pip was a overrated bum with six piggyback rings. Hopefully, you temporarily put this argument to rest.

Still feel Pippen is a bad comparison. Fans and media alike jumped on this when Artest compared the two. Artest brought it up first. Therefore, credibility destroyed. Peirce is the better comparison.
Pip was just as important on those teams as Jordan was. Yeah, Jordan sold the shoes and the jerseys, but those teams were built solid.

count55
03-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Pip was just as important on those teams as Jordan was. Yeah, Jordan sold the shoes and the jerseys, but those teams were built solid.

Yeah...no he wasn't.

Jordan was an epochal player...the best ever to play the game.

That does not mean that Pippen was not good or important. It is just not evenly remotely accurate to draw equivalence between him and Jordan.

duke dynamite
03-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Yeah...no he wasn't.

Jordan was an epochal player...the best ever to play the game.

That does not mean that Pippen was not good or important. It is just not evenly remotely accurate to draw equivalence between him and Jordan.
I said just as important. Not just as good.

You can play well, not as good as someone else does, however you can be just as important as the other person.

Kstat
03-27-2009, 01:52 PM
whatever you say, he mentioned 4 games. Please jsut watch the finals series and then tell me what you think.

I did. You might want to try it too.

In his 4th season, Pippen was guarding Magic Johnson in his first finals and keeping him in check.

He also defended John Stockton in back to back finals.

Think Granger could defend Magic and Stockton?

Dece
03-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Pippen might be the best defensive player of all time... If Granger became a 10 PPG scorer but learned to defend like Pip, we'd be far better for it.

DG plays like Rashard Lewis in my opinion... should be a better defender and rebounder on athleticism/size, but isn't, prefers to play on the perimeter too much, but can shoot lights out.

Kstat
03-27-2009, 01:55 PM
A rich man's rashard lewis might be more accurate.

Dece
03-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Yea, I'd agree with that, he is better than Shard, but similar in game, is my assessment.

d_c
03-27-2009, 04:56 PM
DG plays like Rashard Lewis in my opinion... should be a better defender and rebounder on athleticism/size, but isn't, prefers to play on the perimeter too much, but can shoot lights out.

I 2nd/3rd the Rashard Lewis comparison. I think Granger is a better player because he simply defends better and he's shown to be more clutch, but his style is most similar to Lewis. Both guys can get in grooves where they can really shoot the ball. He doesn't really play anything like Pippen or Pierce.

Granger really ought to be a better rebounder than he's shown, but whatever. He's had an outstanding year.

count55
03-27-2009, 04:59 PM
A rich man's rashard lewis might be more accurate.

More like a wise rich man's Rashard Lewis, as we're only going to be paying less than 60 cents on the dollar compared to Lewis' contract.

Noodle
03-27-2009, 08:04 PM

That's not my point, don't know why you got that out of the post. That opinion came from someone else. I liked Pippen. He's just a bad comparison to Granger. Peirce is the better comparison, or like someone else said, a richman's Rashard Lewis.

Naptown_Seth
03-27-2009, 09:20 PM
I shouldn't jump back in this fun fest, especially the way I'm about to, but my demand for fairness compels me beyond reason.

There is a probably a lot of truth to the idea that had Granger been on the Bulls instead of Pippen they could have still won those titles. Danny is not the one on one defender that Pippen is, but then have you ever looked at Pippen's 3P% AND 3PA? He and Mike had no problem chucking up a pretty ugly shot.

And with Mike as one of your main defenders it meant that Pip could often hawk on a potentially favorable matchup. Jax was a nice one for example because he was as quick and took away Jax' height advantage.

In a very general sense I stand behind "Granger is Pippen" simply because great players have to start somewhere. Go back in time after Jordan's first year and tell us all that "it's only one year and you're going to stupidly compare him to Magic Johnson or Dr. J?!?! Please, maybe he needs to prove it first".

Well yes and no. We know that what we were looking at was greatness of that level so technically a person identifying it as such even after year 1 wasn't wrong.

NOW HOLD ON...the problem is that by my age I've heard every nut job praise every player's great 6 months as the sign of the 2nd coming, and so it's tough to deal with after awhile. How do you distinguish recognizing a player, say Danny, as in the formative years of a great career from overeading a brief good run from an otherwise forgettable player?

The main reason I mocked the thread in the first place is that didn't we already have all that platypus/who is Danny like discussion just a month ago, and wasn't that about the 4th or 5th serious discussion of the subject?

And add to it the groundbreaking excitement of "I'd like to see Danny stay with the team" coming on the heels of his first all-star appearance. I mean let's not take a risky stand or anything.

The thread title might as well be "Tinsley should be traded! Who do you think Tinsley could be traded for?"

It just doesn't come off to me as very insightful, thought provoking or distinct from previously thorough discussions. But then I'm running for Most Offensive Poster so I'm obligated to say that right before I slap your baby.

JayRedd
03-28-2009, 11:16 PM
Danny Granger plays absolutely nothing like Scottie Pippen. The only thing they have in common is position.

Hoop
03-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Danny Granger plays like a platypus...duh.

:cheers: