PDA

View Full Version : late game of interest?

stevo
03-23-2009, 10:42 PM
hey all.. New to the forum. I posted this in the new user area, but now
that I have access to the main forum I will re-post.

For those tracking possible draft picks, Stephen Curry will be playing
in the NIT tournament tonight at 11:45 on ESPN2.
I am kinda leaning in this direction. Just in case Brandon does
not work out we could have another option at the guard position.
I think Murphy has made a case for himself to start next year, so the PF
of the future may have to be put on hold another year. imo

Midcoasted
03-24-2009, 12:59 AM
No way do we draft another SG. Rush is proving he belongs and we can keep Graham for way to cheap, and Jack plays decently at SG. Also you can't say Dunleavy will be out forever. He has played on this injury his whole career and I think he of all people will have a chance to make it back from the surgery in time for the end of next year. I guess it comes down to the health of Dun and if we resign Jack or Quis. I think Jack should stay and we should draft two big men who can defend and rebound, but have quick feet. Simple as that.

As if it were that easy to find big men like that huh? LOL.

jhondog28
03-24-2009, 09:01 AM
My personal opinion is that this team needs to draft the best player available whether that is a C, PF, SF, SG or Pg. They need star power and athleticism. They need to attract fans back to the fieldhouse and the only way to do that is through drafting the BPA. Unfortunately besides Griffin no one could generate that star power right off the bat so my guess is the go big.

idioteque
03-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Jack plays decently at SG.

It is far from certain that Jack will be sticking around

Also you can't say Dunleavy will be out forever.Actually, it is possible, his injury is unprecedented and while he may come back there is a decent chance that he will be a shell of his former self.

People need to be realistic with this draft. The chances of us finding a first, second, or third option in a draft that is so thin on talent is not good. The Pacers will not be in a position to significantly improve until Murphy and Dunleavy's contracts become shorter, and thus assets for trades rather than liabilities. If we win the lottery of course you go for the world beater, but otherwise just draft players to play specific roles and worry about getting that superstar to complement Danny when the time is right.

That is why drafting Curry would not bother me even though I don't think he'll ever be a star in the NBA. He has a chance to be like Steve Kerr, or how Byron was for us later in his career (at least offensively).

The one really great player who may be available around our pick is DeRozan. He was seen as a guy with superstar potential at the beginning of the year but he didn't impress early in his college career, but has improved significantly as the season has gone on.

stevo
03-24-2009, 11:41 AM
After watching Curry a little last night I came away with a few observations.
First the bad

Im not sure he is NBA point guard material. I am not even sure why he is playing point. Are they grooming him for this position in the NBA?
His first step is just not quick enough. Playing point he seemed to force a lot of passes. This could be because of the position change or maybe his teammates are just not playing on the same level. Either way he is a backup point guard at best.

The Good

Though he seemed to force passes he didn't force his offense. He let the game come to him. The other team was coached well and they had two people on him throughout the whole game. I know this is going to sound like crazy talk but his game kinda reminds me of Ray Allen. He let his team run the offense and he was there when they needed him. I know Ray Allen?? I'm just comparing how the two are used not necessarily that Curry could ever carry Ray's jock.

The really good

His stroke is pure. He had so much attention from the opposing defense and he was still able to put up his average despite the hostile crowd.

My final thoughts are if he fell to us, we would be crazy to not take him. I would not make any trades for this kid, but if he was there when we picked, you almost have to take a chance. Let him and Brandon fight out the playing time. I could see people coming to the games just to see him put up threes from all over the court. Remind you of someone.

YoSoyIndy
03-24-2009, 07:58 PM
My personal opinion is that this team needs to draft the best player available whether that is a C, PF, SF, SG or Pg. They need star power and athleticism. They need to attract fans back to the fieldhouse and the only way to do that is through drafting the BPA. Unfortunately besides Griffin no one could generate that star power right off the bat so my guess is the go big.

Completely agree -- take the best available player. I'd prefer that player is a low-post or point guard.

Kemo
03-24-2009, 09:07 PM
The Pacers will not be in a position to significantly improve until Murphy and Dunleavy's contracts become shorter, and thus assets for trades rather than liabilities.

I don't think Troy Murphy is gonna go anywhere anytime soon ..

----Quote from Indy Star Article in my other thread ----

O'Brien said. "Other than Danny (Granger) and (Troy Murphy), nobody owns a starting job, in my estimation.

And honestly I'd like Troy to stick around long after his contract is up... By then he can command a much much lower and servicable contract while being a nice option off the bench by then ... Troy's game thrives here as a Pacer, and I enjoy what he brings to this team, no matter what role he ends up with , as we start fitting the pieces together for a possible championship contending team.. ..

As far as Curry , the few times I have seen him play actual games, as well as all the online video on him , I think he will most definitely translate his game to the NBA within a year or 2 being in .. I think he has a chance to be quite good, if his work ethic and desire to learn and get better are ANYTHING like Roy Hibbert..

I say we should go for the BPA regardless of position .. BUT I really hope they scout well, and pick a hidden gem that no one expects ... and they turn out to be a future core player ... (well don't we all? heh )