PDA

View Full Version : What do Artest's teammates think of him

Unclebuck
06-28-2004, 02:47 PM
What do you think.

Do they hate him with a passion.

Do they think he is a necessary evil.

Yes I know the question is rather vague, but I want your vague thoughts in this.

Snickers
06-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Vague.... I feel his reputation precedes his variablity. One for all, all for one.

And don't cry over spilt milk.

:meditate:

Young
06-28-2004, 02:49 PM
I don't really know.

I'll just say hate with a passion for the hell of it.

Roy Munson
06-28-2004, 03:01 PM
I think they are just a little bit afraid of him. Too afraid for someone to stand up to him and tell him to knock it off when he starts acting like a ballhog, or an idiot, or a thug.

Hicks
06-28-2004, 03:06 PM
No idea.

MSA2CF
06-28-2004, 03:10 PM
I think some, like JO/Al/JB, may be somewhat close to him.

I think most others stay away while Ron does his own thing. Listen to his music by himself while traveling, practice for hours by himself, work on his music studio...I think Ron's a loner.

Suaveness
06-28-2004, 03:20 PM
No clue, really.

Pig Nash
06-28-2004, 03:39 PM
I pretty much agree with MSA2CF on this account. They probably think he's ok but don't know too much about him.

able
06-28-2004, 03:40 PM
Per player I think it's how they perceive his presence.
To Al he will be the main competition keeping him from starting, to Brewer he's a hero who trains with him, stand up for him, (perhaps to most bench players) to JO a work in progress in which he recognises much of his former self with a slightly more volatile temper and less "tutors" on the job.

I perceive Ron as a very sensitive being, with an urge to proof himself in a desperate search to be "liked", "pls don't dislike me, I can be a good boy"
Ron is not as far as most on the team in developement, which in turn can be blamed on Chicago, striking in that sense is that all the talent their implodes, moves and re-blossoms or withers away.
Ron has come a long way on this team, as a player and as a human being, though he is high maintenance and likely will be forever, he is most likely more then worth the trouble, his heart is in the right place, he is not the bragger, bling bling boy or whatever, he is just so ^%$ insecure that it results in explosions and trust me, I know where he's coming from :D

His motivation is to take care of his family and friends, then to be the best (read so people will like him) forgetting or in actual fact ignoring direct interhuman interaction which he fears.

As JO said, it took something to open him up, once he opened up he was a great human being.

We could only have wished he would show more of that side in combination with his skills instead of teh volatile behaviour to hide his vulnerability.

Mourning
06-28-2004, 04:20 PM
I feel the same way MSA2CF and Able have expressed themselves about Ron. He's insecure and I'm pretty sure he's been someone who likes to spend a lot of time alone.

Regards,

Mourning;)

ABADays
06-28-2004, 06:17 PM
I have an idea but won't share it.

MSA2CF
06-28-2004, 06:47 PM

Sounds like something Ron might say on the bus. :shakehead:

SoupIsGood
06-28-2004, 07:10 PM
I think Ron is kind of a loner too, I think he would rather be with his family than care whether his teamates or anyone else really likes him. He just likes to do his own thing and be with his family, where he feels comfortable.

pacerwaala
06-28-2004, 11:22 PM

are you one of the pacer players

MunciePacerBabe
06-29-2004, 01:23 AM
I think Ron is both hated (due to his distractions) and loved (because of his never say die competitive spirit). I don't think he is a necessary evil or looked upon by his team mates in that way.

He reminds me of somebody who would have been receiving special needs services in school. He just needs someone to give him direction, guidance, understanding,love or acombination of any of those. He gets sidetracked when he loses his focus or things go haywire with the ones around him. He then tries to get back on track and wobbles while trying to get there. He really has a heart of gold and would probably do anything for anyone. He just can't handle anything or anyone getting off track in his life. He then blows things off so that the problems go away.

I just hope they have some way of finding someone to help him before it's too late and he is no longer a part of this team. His team mates and coaches have probably never met anyone like him. I have dealt with many kids that act just like him and many of them have turned out just fine IF they find a friend, mentor, teacher that they can trust. Behavior plans work well, too, as well as some forms of medications.

I have faith in him and the PACERS to help him turn around some of his special needs both on and off the court. He is really an endearing type of guy.

Lord Helmet
06-29-2004, 01:30 AM
Some like JO are trying to have a friendship with him I dunno about the others.

Bball
06-29-2004, 01:39 AM
I think he tries their patience. I imagine they TRY to make it work. And eventually even that gets old at the end of the day.

Think about a band. They get together and have a distant but common goal. But as time goes on and they get closer to their collective goal individual goals start getting in the way. And then the friction starts growing. The quirky lead singer that you laughed with early on now gets on your nerves. The guitarist now would rather play extended leads and turn up to 11 "for his tone" rather than fall into the pocket with the band. The bassist is happy where the band has gotten and is in cruise control. No longer motivated or hungry for more. Beer and women are fine by him.

And the drummer is having second thoughts about the time involved.

IOW... the chemistry is falling apart.

I get the feeling Artest is like the talented guitarist that wants the spotlight but doesn't realize his strength isn't being a soloist.... and his attempts to step into the key light will wear thin on the others as they try and adjust and keep making things work.

-Bball

fwpacerfan
06-29-2004, 08:53 AM
I think Able hit the nail on the head. Ron's actions are a result of his insecurities. He needs to feel liked, wanted but he keeps people away from getting too close to him as a protective measure. He more than likely has been hurt by someone or many someone's close to him so he doesn't want to get too close to anyone.

I think the team is more tolerant than many on this board are of Ron. I think they realize he will have blowups every once in a while. They also see that he made GREAT strides this year but he blew up at the most inopportune time in game 6. They realize it was a mistake and he will continue to work on things.

Many people around here are a different story. Ron blew up for really the 1st time all year and now many are saying he's a headcase, he'll never change, etc. He changed for almost all of the season. I know he messed up but not everyone can be perfect like the rest of you who are criticizing him. I think he will be even more improved next year and probably average 20+ ppg and win DPOY again. He is that kind of a competitor.

Unclebuck
06-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Some interesting responses in this thread.

To answer my own question, the players probably know they are nearly as good without Ron, and yet they have to get frustrated with him. I just hope it has not turn the team apart

dobermanpharaoh
06-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Personally,I really like Ron.And i believe he is the heart and soul of our defense.NOBODY on this team fought harder and played with as much heart as Ron.Many,many games when noone else was hitting shots Ron would pull us thru.And maybe i might upset some on here,I think at times JO played soft,not aggressive as he should be,being the team leader.No one can question Ron's desire to win and play well.Agreed ,he has some issues,but the good far outweighs the bad.Too many people are trying to make him the scapegoat for ECF,when in actuality,it was a team effort.Had they been playing well they wouldn't have been in that position.So I think it would be a MAJOR mistake to let Ron go.Any other team in the nba would love to have Ron.He makes me proud to be a Pacers fan,because he never quits,it is his competitive spirit that gets in the way at times and gets him in trouble.And sorry about no paragraphs!

ChicagoJ
06-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Alright, this is all hypothetical, but here's my :twocents:

JO likes Ron because Ron's defense makes the Pacers better. JO is trying to reach out to Ron because he's a loner and JO believes it is his job, as the team's leader, to make every player feel like they are part of a team. Therefore, it really irritates JO that Ron generally refuses to participate in comraderie-building time under the disguise of 'spending time with his family'. JO gets very frustrated with Ron on the court when Ron breaks away from the game plan.

Reggie likes Ron and is willing to cover for his crazy :censored: on the court. Been there, done that. But Ron can make Reggie furious, because unlike Jalen, JO, Al, and countless others, Ron just doesn't seem to 'get it.' He's lost confidence that Ron will 'get it' before he has to retire.

Al is jealous as hell of Ron. It was his position before he got hurt, and the fact that the team traded for Ron when Al was hurt and 'gave' the starting position to Ron only deepens the wound. Not only that, but in Al's mind the team is still very successful when he starts, and Al believes he can help the team more than Ron... maybe Ron is a little more talented but Al believes he is much more mature and is a better team player than Ron. Al keeps thinking "if Rick just gives me back my position, I'll prove once and for all that they won't miss Ron."

Tinsley likes Ron. Tinsley understands NBA careers are short, and he knows that he and Ron could be back in NYC, working on a garbage truck or whatever. So Tinsley says, "More power to ya" and hopes for the best. Tinsley assumes its his job to distribute the ball without playing favorites. If Ron keeps JO from getting the ball, Tinsley is not yet a strong enough leader from the PG position to force-feed the ball into the post every position just to show Ron that the gameplan will work but it requires patience and a willingness to defer to others.

Jeff and Austin like everybody on the team; they are pictured in the dictionary next to 'good teammate'.

Bender likes Ron because Ron gives the general public someone else to complain about, so he can quietly work on new ways to get hurt next season.

Harrison can't wait to hang out with Ron. "This will be fun."

I think that's all the key players.

Will Galen
06-29-2004, 03:56 PM
I think they are just a little bit afraid of him. Too afraid for someone to stand up to him and tell him to knock it off when he starts acting like a ballhog, or an idiot, or a thug.

I agree with that wholeheartedly!

Two years ago during one of Artests on court skirmishes Al Harrington looked like he was going to grab Artest and then looked scared to do so. (He didn't grab him)

It's known that Artest has skill at boxing. That summer Al took boxing lessons. I always thought it was so he could defend himself against Artest if he had to.

Dukins
06-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Man that guy is crazy, but im glad he is on our team. If he ever came after me looking for a fist fight i would have to shoot him.:maniac::swordfight:

Will Galen
06-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Man that guy is crazy, but im glad he is on our team. If he ever came after me looking for a fist fight i would have to shoot him.:maniac::swordfight:

If ha came after me looking for a fist fight I would say, "See Dukins." ;)

Peck
06-29-2004, 04:14 PM
I've never seen Ron Artest stand up to anybody in a fight.

I've seen him punch Kirlinko in the back of the head as he was running by him.

I've seen him throw down countless numbers of small guards & small forwards.

I've never seen him stand up to or defend himself against somebody his own size.

I'd be interested in seeing what he would do.

BTW, I've never seen Al back down from anyone. I've seen Al stick his finger in the face of Marcus Fizer & if you've ever seen him you will know that Marcus has arms the size of his legs.

I don't think Al is afraid of Ron.

Having said that I'll say this.

I'm sure that most of his teammates would prefer that Ron just play basketball within the team concept. They can & will tolerate his strays into one on one play every now & then. However I am certain that the behind the scenes stuff is wearing thin on some of them & the timing of some of his selfish play probably grates on their nerves.

Roy Munson
07-01-2004, 05:09 PM
My opinion of Ron Artest just changed today after a conversation I had with Freddy Jones. Freddy had NOTHING negative to say about Ron, even though I kind of prodded and tried to lead Freddy into saying something against him.

Freddy said Ron is a great teammate, and that he just wants to win. Period. He also said that sometimes Ron gets upset with teammates when he doesn't think they are trying hard enough. I asked Freddy if Ron ever gets mad at him, and he said 'no', he never does.

BTW -- Freddy, as always, was so polite, respectful, friendly, and enjoyable to visit with.

MagicRat
07-01-2004, 05:15 PM
My opinion of Ron Artest just changed today after a conversation I had with Freddy Jones. Freddy had NOTHING negative to say about Ron, even though I kind of prodded and tried to lead Freddy into saying something against him.

Freddy said Ron is a great teammate, and that he just wants to win. Period. He also said that sometimes Ron gets upset with teammates when he doesn't think they are trying hard enough. I asked Freddy if Ron ever gets mad at him, and he said 'no', he never does.

BTW -- Freddy, as always, was so polite, respectful, friendly, and enjoyable to visit with.

Fred probably was too scared to say anything negative about Ron because he was worried Ron might bite off his ears like carrot cake.........:p

MSA2CF
07-01-2004, 05:15 PM
That's good to hear, Roy.

If you don't mind me asking, under what circumstances did you talk to Fred? (Do you know him?)

edit: And did you tell him about the site? :laugh:

bulletproof
07-01-2004, 05:21 PM

:link:

MagicRat
07-01-2004, 05:27 PM

:link:

:confused:

Roy Munson
07-01-2004, 05:31 PM
That's good to hear, Roy.

If you don't mind me asking, under what circumstances did you talk to Fred? (Do you know him?)

edit: And did you tell him about the site? :laugh:

No, I didn't mention the site. I don't think Freddy spends a lot of time at the keyboard.

I spoke with Freddy today at the Freddy Jones Community Basketball Camp at his former high school in Gresham, Oregon.

I've known Freddy since he was about 12 years old. (I don't think I ever heard him speak much until he was about a junior in HS. He was a pretty shy kid).