PDA

View Full Version : Postgame: Mavs nip the Pacers

Unclebuck
03-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Pacers played more like the team I'm used to watching. Very good effort and I must say Jeff's defense on Dirk in the fourth quarter was remarkable, he got so many deflections, it was incredible. Dirk had to hit two extremely tough shots to help the mavs pull it out

Good to see the Pacers play a game more like they have been playing this whole season

Lord Helmet
03-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Tough game to lose considering how well the Pacers played.

Jeff got ticked off and really started defending Dirk well, Dirk still ended up winning the game, unfortunately.

29-42 :(

Will Galen
03-20-2009, 08:55 PM
If their five game losing streak was a winning streak they would be in the 8th playoff spot right now.

beast23
03-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Yep.

And if all their wins were losses and all their losses were wins, they would have an even higher seeding.

McKeyFan
03-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Yep.

And if all their wins were losses and all their losses were wins, they would have an even higher seeding.

And if we traded Murph for Lebron and Diener for Kobe, we'd be really, really good.

(And we'd be even better if we traded T.J. instead of Travis.)

beast23
03-20-2009, 09:11 PM
And if we traded Murph for Lebron and Diener for Kobe, we'd be really, really good.

(And we'd be even better if we traded T.J. instead of Travis.)We tried to trade Murph for LeBron. The Cavs refused; they wanted the Tin-man instead. Unfortunately, Bird refused to deal. Just couldn't bear to part with the excommunicated one.

count55
03-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Very, very nice game for Brandon tonight...although I was begging him not to go under that screen on the Jason Terry 3.

Team played hard and tough, but just too many wasted possessions. Tough shooting night for Danny, missed 7 of 19 FT's, outscored 13-0 on points off turnovers.

count55
03-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Oh, I forgot...other than some spotty shooting, I thought Stephen played very well tonight, as well.

Unclebuck
03-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Oh, I forgot...other than some spotty shooting, I thought Stephen played very well tonight, as well.

Yeah, but he does a lot of boneheaded things, I like his aggression - wish Rush had more of that, but Graham does a lot of dumb things

Kid Minneapolis
03-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Graham is a #1 scoring option in a #8 scoring option's body.

Trader Joe
03-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Graham is a #1 scoring option in a #8 scoring option's body.

All that means is he likes to shoot a lot...

Graham drives me nuts most of the time. Every once in a while he turns one of his turd performances into a diamond, but most of the time he is painfully out of control.

count55
03-20-2009, 10:11 PM
I suspect that what you've seen out of Graham this year is what you'll see out of McBob next. Last year, Graham was the guy who never saw the light of day, but when he did, he produced, so many said, "Give him more time." This year, he got more time and, while he played well for a min-level player, he essentially confirmed his limitations.

Those are my expectations for McBob next year. He'll get more time, have a few decent games, then kind of fade into the background as it becomes relatively obvious that he's a nice guy to have at the end of the bench (like Graham), but you really don't want to have to count on him.

D-BONE
03-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Good to see the Pacers play a game more like they have been playing this whole season

Mos def. This was my major complaint during the last several games. Although I know it's been a long season for them, you'd hope they could sustain the effort the rest of the way. Not necessarily that they'd beat Portland or Atlanta, but that they would play like they were trying.

Those are my expectations for McBob next year. He'll get more time, have a few decent games, then kind of fade into the background as it becomes relatively obvious that he's a nice guy to have at the end of the bench (like Graham), but you really don't want to have to count on him.

I think this is about right. Graham tends to bother me, but then I have to remind myself what he is. He's not really capable of bringing his top performances night in and night out.

I think McBob, if his role is defined in a certain way, might be able to be somewhat more consistent that Graham. However, he's got limitations that will definitely show with more consistent PT. I still advocate him getting a little more burn given our position currently.

think we need to view it as we're not making the playoffs let's up the bench minutes (not unlike last night whether intentionally or otherwise) and see what these guys do in more extended and consistent minutes the last 12 or so games.

Kemo
03-21-2009, 08:09 AM
I still believe that with as young as McRoberts is, he can be everything Foster is, and a WHOLE LOT more (heck he would be a senior in college if he stayed in being 22yrs old)

Imagine,for a moment, if you will,from the perspective of IF we just drafted him........... and things look a whole lot brighter ...

The kid is very young still, raw, but coming along fairly good for hardly getting any minutes..

I just really think that he could be a player that could amaze everyone , if he was given attention to and developed as much as Roy and Brandon are currently ..

Even JOB said, Josh is THE most athletic guy on the team..
I dunno, I just see a young guy with so much potential, determination and untapped freak athleticism, that it boggles my mind that he isn't being developed and given a fair shake..
I think alot of his early problems in his college/rookie year , were due to immaturity.. But I really think as a person, he has grown up alot, and really wants to be a great player, if he would only be given a good chance...

BlueNGold
03-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Josh may or may not develop, but he's clearly more talented than Foster. The fact is, Josh is not a bad defensive player and is far more of an offensive threat. Everything depends on how he develops. At the moment, Jeff Foster is the better basketball player...and I am a huge McBob fan.

Naptown_Seth
03-21-2009, 01:55 PM
WHAT?!?
:eek:

Man, I didn't see that at all. I saw him getting killed on defense, leaving guys clear paths to the rim. I saw him totally unable to make a shot. The one credit I give him is that late in the game he did pass up an open deep jumper, so at least he finally figured out he was way off.

Graham is one of the greatest dunkers ever to play for the Pacers, I will give him that. I love when I see him with a clear path just like I love when I see Troy wide open from deep. But otherwise he is a sum negative for the team.

TJ I've ripped in the 6:32 thread, nuff said. Stop playing him, let's go with Diener who at least makes really good decisions on offense and is smart with the ball.

Troy was great, one of my favorite games from him all-around. Dirk blew past him, yes, but then he came back at the other end and returned the favor several times so I add that up as even. For some reason he was shot faking a lot last night, more than needed, but he was being aggressive without dominating the ball. Fair is fair and when a guy plays really good he deserves credit. I'll take this from him and happily keep him as the PF for now.

Rush was good, but not great. He did go under the screen on Terry but that's something I think he would learn from with playing time. He's good about recognizing mistakes and correcting them.

On offense his problem is when he doesn't square up on jumpers. He needs to recognize those situations and not force a shot he feels he is supposed to take. Once he does that and also gets his dribble pull-up jumper locked in he'll be fine.

Roy was normal, which is good and bad. I'm fine with where he is at and think he was a solid choice at 17. He definitely brings a fire to win and didn't seem to hit a rookie wall at all.

McRoberts - great again, benched again. Apart from the 3PA he didn't do anything wrong and often made smart plays to help out. Example of a non-box effort - he runs out ahead of a play, forcing the defense to run with him (techinically a good pass could have been a score) and when he doesn't get the pass he stops and sets 2 back screens on the guys trying to run up the court with him. Little things like that are part of his game and why I like him.

Jack - see 6:32 thread. He's been much better the last month or two.

Diener - I think he's better than last year and I'm ready to hand him 20-25 minutes as the full-time #2 PG at this point. He plays smart, he's also got a fire to compete, he has actually pretty strong handles even by PG standards even though he's not flashy.

I like Diener more than Workman to put it in perspective. Good kid, smart signing it appears.