PDA

View Full Version : Pacers lose to Blazers

Trader Joe
03-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Marquis is a totally different player when he comes off the bench.

pwee31
03-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Granger played well.
Hibbert was solid, and continues to show he needs more minutes

McRoberts showed there's no need to see Rasho or Maceo... ever

TJ is starting to drive me crazy. I like the guy, and I pull for him, but if he's not scoring... he's worthless

JB24
03-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Granger was excellent tonight, but he was icing his knee on the bench. Please, please, please shut him down if he isn't healthy.

D-BONE
03-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Well, there's that. There's also everyone trying to figure out how to reintegrate Danny and vice versa. If any of that's even valid. At this point, you'd think they'd be reasonably acclimated to one another.

I have to come back to where Seth has been recently, shouldn't we being seeing more obvious signs of overall improvement at this juncture? Seems that we were making some progress during DG's injury.

I'm out of ideas other than the team isn't any good, which we all already knew. Oh yeah, and no Murphy, but injuries are such a lame justification at this point of the season, or any other really. We've been relatively healthy.

Kemo
03-18-2009, 09:59 PM
I think we would have won , if Murphy wasn't hurt, and if JOB handled substitutions a little better .. I mean if something isn't working you MAKE ADJUSTMENTS ... You don't keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...

TJ would have gotten yanked out , and Diener put in .. whether Trav is scoring or not , he clearly runs this team better than Ford...

When TJ and Jack are on the floor , they try and take over games WAY too often, and it clearly hurts this team..

Just as there should be a ban on Quis shooting the 3, there should be one on those 2 on the floor for any extended minutes... lol

As I stated earlier and I'll quote it from a previous post ...

we play so much better defense and get less turnovers without tj on the floor... he can't stay on his man if it meant saving his life...

Alot of you people wanna criticize Diener for bad defense./.. but at LEAST he sticks to his man instead of hovering in the paint then having to run out to his man like TJ does

Infinite MAN_force
03-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Granger played well.
Hibbert was solid, and continues to show he needs more minutes

McRoberts showed there's no need to see Rasho or Maceo... ever

TJ is starting to drive me crazy. I like the guy, and I pull for him, but if he's not scoring... he's worthless

People go on and on about our need for a PF and I continue to look at Point Gaurds because TJ is just not getting the job done. We need someone who can run the offense like Diener but with better defense/athleticism.

Rasho was totally worthless tonight and was embarassingly soft... Time for Josh to enter the rotation. JOB is blind if he can't see this.

pacergod2
03-18-2009, 10:17 PM
TJ and Jack playing extended minutes together in the backcourt is downright RIDICULOUS. I just don't understand that. You are giving minutes that should be going to Daniels or Rush. Those two players don't make any sense playing together. I would love to see us trade Ford this off-season to make sure that JOB can't use them together in the lineup. That would put a lot of pressure on Bird to trade two PG's in the same off-season, which would be difficult given that priority #1 will be difficult enough to trade.

What is wrong with a lineup of Jack, Rush/Daniels, Granger, Murphy/Foster and Hibbert?

Even with the excuse of not having Murphy there is no way we should be seeing some of these lineups. I know TJ Jack Daniels Granger and Foster are probably our best five tonight, but are we still delusional to the fact that we aren't making the playoffs? I am extremely disappointed that Rush only got 15 minutes. I don't know whether to be happy that McRoberts got nine minutes or disappointed he didn't get more. That is not what this team needs right now. I am glad I am growing out my hair right now, because I have something to pull out.

Can somebody drive me to the mental institution when I get to that point?

PacersRule
03-18-2009, 10:38 PM
The last three games were just total disasters. I can't even believe a little more than a week ago we were playing great bball. Danny was sharp today, looks like he's getting better (though he still ices his knee when he sits).The rest of the team...don't even know how to put it in words, especially the first half, our play was just horrible...
Despite Hibbert's strong play at the offensive end lately, he has to step up defensively. I wonder if the trainers are training him hard enough, Hibbert certainly needs to bulk up, both in his legs and his arms.

count55
03-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Marquis is a totally different player when he comes off the bench.

Marquis has spent the last five games trying to make us feel better about the fact that we're not going to pick up his option.

PacersRule
03-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Can somebody drive me to the mental institution when I get to that point?

Sure, hop in. I might need a little help too if TJ continues to play like this. I appreciate the fact that he realizes he's one of our leaders right now, but he's just doing it the wrong way. I flinch on my couch every time he tries to take over.

pacergod2
03-18-2009, 11:26 PM
I really love the way that our team is still hustling and pushing for the playoffs like true competitors, but the FO needs to step in and tell JOB to play who he should be playing the minutes they should be playing. I love TJ as a person and love his maturity in the locker room. I love that Foster is challenging these guys and calling out the defense. We CAN'T get a stop defensively. Period. We just can't. TJ and Jack are a terrible tandem defensively. And neither is great from long range, so I just am struggling to understand his rotations. Really. I understand the beginning of the year just trying to see what we have and trying different scenarios. I understand dealing with injuries. I don't understand not developing our young guys at this point.

BillS
03-18-2009, 11:46 PM
We CAN'T get a stop defensively. Period. We just can't.

Sorry, what game were you watching?

We got <i><b>tons</b></i> of defensive stops, we were simply unable to capitalize on offense.

You get three stops in a row but fail to score on any of them and the opponent scores the fourth time you're still down by an extra 2.

pacergod2
03-19-2009, 12:04 AM
I'm sorry I wasn't necessarily referring to tonight. More in general. The reason why games are close but we can't finish teams off. Generally, we don't get the defensive stops we need. And using TJ and Jack in the back court together IMO is a big reason why.

ReginaldWayne
03-19-2009, 12:29 AM
As far as the Jack/TJ combo i agree with you guys. JOB must really like Jack and feels more comfortable when he is on the court. You can tell he understands the defense and knows where guys are supposed to be, the coach on the floor defensively i suppose. But why not start tj quis granger? Id much prefer this, and bring JJ off the bench for an offensive spark.

BRushWithDeath
03-19-2009, 01:34 AM
Initial thoughts from the stands:

It was nice to see Granger get his shot back.

McRoberts played really well in the first quarter. Of course, he didn't play again until the very end. Makes sense.

We really need to work on our offense. You know the one. Tiny PG drives down into the paint, gets stuck, and attempts a jump pass back out. Great basketball. Thanks TJ. Thanks Jarrett.

Marquis was terrible. Again. That's about 5 in a row. After about 5 in a row of playing fantastic. So it goes this season it seems.

Foster wasn't very good other than a short stretch in the third. But that's more than I expect.

Rasho. Rasho, Rasho, Rasho. Wow. I've said it after most games the last couple months but tonight was the worst. I just feel sorry for him at this point. He runs like he's got two broken ankles. He was utterly useless. No value whatsoever. At any point. It's just sad.

I thought Brandon Rush was very solid defensively. Very shaky offensively. But that's no surprise.

Hibbert was solid offensively. Better than usual defensively I thought. At least, he didn't have 3-5 terribly dumb fouls. So that's an improvement.

I was disappointed in Graham's stint in the early 4th. He actually passed up some open shots. Which goes against everything he stands for.

Diener's still our best PG. Which is sad. He should have played more though.

The Blazers are an absolute joy to watch. Brandon Roy is everything a star player should be. Granger would be served very well to take a page out of his book. LaMarcus Aldridge is going to be an All-Star. He'd have been already if he were playing in the East. It was nice to see Greg Oden back. Hopefully, he can get healthy for the playoffs. Travis Outlaw might have the worst contract in NBA history. But good for Portland. And I wish I didn't have to praise Kevin Pritchard for it. Or this next thing for that matter. The fact that they are this good and play 4 rookies is astounding. Plus, Roy and Aldridge are only in their 3rd year. This team could be scary good soon. And they won't be in the NBA Finals this year but I wouldn't be shocked if they made the Conference Finals. They are just the type of team who could upset somebody. I'll be rooting for these guys come the end of April.

rexnom
03-19-2009, 02:12 AM
Kevin Pritchard is my personal Toby Flenderson. I hate everything that he stands for. The only thing I've ever rooted for Blazers related this year was Darius Miles getting to 10 games. I will definitely not be rooting for them this spring. Does it make any sense? No. Do I care that it doesn't make any sense? No.

KP, why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun, or exciting, you make it... not that way. I hate... so much about the things that you choose to be.

CableKC
03-19-2009, 03:13 AM
This is the problem with having Ford/Jack playing extended minutes together.....the combo seems to work from time to time....but ( more often then not ) it doesn't work only because both do not seem to complement each other. I think that JO'B likes to have as many ball-handlers on the floor as possible....and for short periods of time....a Ford/Jack backcourt works against certain lineups....but not for the majority of the time.

BTW......before Granger returned....it was suggested that one of the reasons why we played better defense is cuz we were running a Jack/BRush/Marquis/Murphy/Foster lineup.

Will Galen
03-19-2009, 05:51 AM
Pacers have finally lost their edge. The last four games have all been lost by double digits.

Unclebuck
03-19-2009, 08:37 AM
THis will be short.

The Blazers were extremely impressive - that was as well as any team has defended us this whole season. Odon may stink on offense, but he is a presense on defense for sure.

Pacers seem exhausted mentally and physically (and they have had a light schedule lately). They seem to be going one-on-one offensively much more than they have at any point this season. There is certainly frustration showing and for the first time this whole season, the chemistry seems like it isn't good.

Not sure the reasons for any of this

McKeyFan
03-19-2009, 08:43 AM
THis will be short.

The Blazers were extremely impressive - that was as well as any team has defended us this whole season. Odon may stink on offense, but he is a presense on defense for sure.

Pacers seem exhausted mentally and physically (and they have had a light schedule lately). They seem to be going one-on-one offensively much more than they have at any point this season. There is certainly frustration showing and for the first time this whole season, the chemistry seems like it isn't good.

Not sure the reasons for any of this

I'll take a stab at the reason. No way to really know.

Jarrett Jack has been a key player, playmaker, scorer and leader during our stretch without Danny. I think he has been the real difference.

Danny is not the problem. I think it's Ford. With Danny gone, Jarrett has the freedom and nod to step up and lead and Ford plays a lesser role and doesn't force as much stuff. With Danny back in, Jarrett doesn't have as much authority and leadership on the court, and TJ takes more of that role.

That may not even make sense, but Jarrett is the key. I wouldn't mind keeping him and moving TJ, but we still have to find one player that can create their own shot if TJ goes.

count55
03-19-2009, 08:55 AM
I'll take a stab at the reason. No way to really know.

Jarrett Jack has been a key player, playmaker, scorer and leader during our stretch without Danny. I think he has been the real difference.

Danny is not the problem. I think it's Ford. With Danny gone, Jarrett has the freedom and nod to step up and lead and Ford plays a lesser role and doesn't force as much stuff. With Danny back in, Jarrett doesn't have as much authority and leadership on the court, and TJ takes more of that role.

That may not even make sense, but Jarrett is the key. I wouldn't mind keeping him and moving TJ, but we still have to find one player that can create their own shot if TJ goes.

I think there's something to this. Over this last four games, I believe Daniels and Ford have played some of their worst ball (though Ford had a couple of deceptively good box scores). In the last three, Jack has been spotty. When he has asserted himself, he's played well (as in the second half of the Utah game, and at times last night), but otherwise, he's struggled.

Ford is dominating the ball too much, and the offense really stagnated last night, either watching Ford or watching Danny.

IMO, the problem last night was the offense. Portland hit some tough shots (specifically Roy and Fernandez), but we held them to .425 shooting and only 18 FT's. I thought there was a key stretch where Ford and Foster just killed us with bad decisions and bad plays.

BillS
03-19-2009, 08:59 AM
I noticed TJ lost the headband in the latter part of the game. Anyone know the reason? I didn't notice if he started looking around more after that - maybe it was slipping down over his eyes.

duke dynamite
03-19-2009, 09:00 AM
I noticed TJ lost the headband in the latter part of the game. Anyone know the reason? I didn't notice if he started looking around more after that - maybe it was slipping down over his eyes.
Just think, a wet...sloppy headband.

Unclebuck
03-19-2009, 09:13 AM

He was frustrated at how he was playing and how the game was going

Jonathan
03-19-2009, 09:15 AM
I watched the First quater when we were down by 12 and thought to myself Great WE WILL come back and win this game. The offense never got going. I watched on television and it seemed like their were alot of fans in the lower level.

naptownmenace
03-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Well, there's that. There's also everyone trying to figure out how to reintegrate Danny and vice versa. If any of that's even valid. At this point, you'd think they'd be reasonably acclimated to one another.

I have to come back to where Seth has been recently, shouldn't we being seeing more obvious signs of overall improvement at this juncture? Seems that we were making some progress during DG's injury.

I'm out of ideas other than the team isn't any good, which we all already knew. Oh yeah, and no Murphy, but injuries are such a lame justification at this point of the season, or any other really. We've been relatively healthy.

If you expected this team to beat the Hawks or Portland or even Toronto on the road, without Granger (for the first 2) and Murphy last night, I don't understand why.

I've been watching the Bulls and Bobcats play lately and that helped me to realize how much better they are than the Pacers. The way the Bulls have been playing I don't see how any team beats them out for the 8th seed.

CableKC
03-19-2009, 09:44 AM
I think there's something to this. Over this last four games, I believe Daniels and Ford have played some of their worst ball (though Ford had a couple of deceptively good box scores). In the last three, Jack has been spotty. When he has asserted himself, he's played well (as in the second half of the Utah game, and at times last night), but otherwise, he's struggled.

Ford is dominating the ball too much, and the offense really stagnated last night, either watching Ford or watching Danny.

IMO, the problem last night was the offense. Portland hit some tough shots (specifically Roy and Fernandez), but we held them to .425 shooting and only 18 FT's. I thought there was a key stretch where Ford and Foster just killed us with bad decisions and bad plays.
I think that TPTB search for a Starting quality PG has not ended. I really won't mind trying to move Ford....I've seen enough of him to know that, he does extremely well against certain teams and matchups....but ( for the majority of the teams that we play ) I feel that he's not a good fit for us ( bad shot selection, poor decision making and tendency to look for his own shot...at times ).

Country Boy
03-19-2009, 10:19 AM
It's official this team has quit.

Unclebuck
03-19-2009, 10:31 AM

Define quit

Brad8888
03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Define quit

Ceased playing in a way that is conducive to being competitive, let alone winning.

Some players recognizing that even hustle and energy and positive game impact have little to no bearing on playing time, leading to an attitude of desperation on the floor at best, and a feeling of hopelessness at worst, which leads to these results.

Players playing one on one as opposed to as a team due to a culmination of frustrations with all of the injuries the team has suffered and is continuing to suffer, coupled with a chemistry issue due to the uncertainty surrounding both player status within the franchise for the off season.

Also, the continuing negativity surrounding the financial struggles the franchise faces and whether the franchise has enough support locally to be stable has to weigh in the back of the player's minds because it impacts them on a very personal level. What if the franchise moves / folds? Where will the players end up? What upheaval will their families go through due to moving? What financial hit will the players take on their high priced homes that they would be attempting to sell if the unthinkable happens?

It is a wonder we didn't "quit" several weeks ago.

Country Boy
03-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Ceased playing in a way that is conducive to being competitive, let alone winning.

Some players recognizing that even hustle and energy and positive game impact have little to no bearing on playing time, leading to an attitude of desperation on the floor at best, and a feeling of hopelessness at worst, which leads to these results.

Players playing one on one as opposed to as a team due to a culmination of frustrations with all of the injuries the team has suffered and is continuing to suffer, coupled with a chemistry issue due to the uncertainty surrounding both player status within the franchise for the off season.

Also, the continuing negativity surrounding the financial struggles the franchise faces and whether the franchise has enough support locally to be stable has to weigh in the back of the player's minds because it impacts them on a very personal level. What if the franchise moves / folds? Where will the players end up? What upheaval will their families go through due to moving? What financial hit will the players take on their high priced homes that they would be attempting to sell if the unthinkable happens?

It is a wonder we didn't "quit" several weeks ago.

Thanks!

OakMoses
03-19-2009, 11:28 AM

Which players were obviously giving less than 100% effort during last night's game?

Peck
03-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Portland has more talent, it's just as simple as that.

Now having said that I will say there were some things that were kind of distressing.

1. I know you can't read to much into this but the players body language, in particular Jarett Jack, just looked bad.

2. The game got totally out of hand when their big lineup in the 3rd quarter just took over and dominated us defensively. Oden may not have scored much but he certainly was effecting the interior play for the team. What is funny is that Joel Pryzbla is considered an after thought out there and I would give all that I own to have him as our starting center right now.

3. I still don't get the McRoberts thing. What is it that he does so bad that has limited his time on the floor this year? Every time I see him play I see a raw player yes, but a talented one. I understand he needs work on lots of things, but he makes things happen when he is on the floor.

Naptown_Seth
03-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Marquis has spent the last five games trying to make us feel better about the fact that we're not going to pick up his option.
Well then WTF is McRoberts problem?!? :mad:

Thanks jerky, just when we'd gotten to a point that we could believe you totally sucked and should never be on the court.

;)

Aren't all of us now stumped? When is Josh going to play his way out of the rotation?

I had to listen to most of this game last night and Slick said it best - TJ is NOT a PG, he's a very small SG. He's quick and can get his shot, but he is not a distributor.

I know this is becoming my personal cause and some are bored with it, but I want them to draft Terrence Williams so bad it's killing me SPECIFICALLY TO PLAY POINT. I know he's 6'6" and a "SG/SF" but he never, ever plays that role at L'ville. He passes before calling his own number and he seems to love setting other guys up. He's going to be right there for the taking too.

I'm all for solving PF issues, but unless you move Troy there isn't much point. Of course the same could be true for the PG position but I think you have a better shot at trading TJ after his healthy season. Mo Williams fit in Cleveland because of James. Other teams can use a scoring small guard like TJ too, it's just that for the Pacers I don't think he makes sense.

Then again we have the elephant in the room of JOB. I'm not quite sure what he's trying to do with this roster and I don't feel like he's gotten a better grasp of it over the last few months. It feels stagnet or even regressed.

We've had 2 improvements - giving Roy and Rush reliable minutes/roles that they can build from and that only took months to do.

We still have 60-80 minutes a night distributed to the team's 3 PGs, we still never see Josh it seems, and the team still seems focused on 3pt salvation with modest at best defense (usually due specifically to the players on the floor more than the system).

JOB has said he's working the system to fit his players, but take a look at his MO before getting here - no offense rebounding, huge levels of 3PA. Isn't Troy our Antoine at this point?

I don't know, I guess if it were me and the team was scorching along to a bad record I'd be looking for NEW ANSWERS. Again, it's not even about "tanking" or "playing the kids", it's about "what you are doing now ain't working".

He's motivated them, yes, but has he pointed that energy in the correct direction? I'm fearful of how bad next year could get.

count55
03-19-2009, 12:06 PM

Thanks jerky, just when we'd gotten to a point that we could believe you totally sucked and should never be on the court.

;)

I don't really know what this is supposed to mean.

Los Angeles
03-19-2009, 12:10 PM
For not being a distributor, TJ sure does rack a healthy number of assists.

Peck
03-19-2009, 12:13 PM

;)

Aren't all of us now stumped? When is Josh going to play his way out of the rotation?

I had to listen to most of this game last night and Slick said it best - TJ is NOT a PG, he's a very small SG. He's quick and can get his shot, but he is not a distributor.

I know this is becoming my personal cause and some are bored with it, but I want them to draft Terrence Williams so bad it's killing me SPECIFICALLY TO PLAY POINT. I know he's 6'6" and a "SG/SF" but he never, ever plays that role at L'ville. He passes before calling his own number and he seems to love setting other guys up. He's going to be right there for the taking too.

I'm all for solving PF issues, but unless you move Troy there isn't much point. Of course the same could be true for the PG position but I think you have a better shot at trading TJ after his healthy season. Mo Williams fit in Cleveland because of James. Other teams can use a scoring small guard like TJ too, it's just that for the Pacers I don't think he makes sense.

Then again we have the elephant in the room of JOB. I'm not quite sure what he's trying to do with this roster and I don't feel like he's gotten a better grasp of it over the last few months. It feels stagnet or even regressed.

We've had 2 improvements - giving Roy and Rush reliable minutes/roles that they can build from and that only took months to do.

We still have 60-80 minutes a night distributed to the team's 3 PGs, we still never see Josh it seems, and the team still seems focused on 3pt salvation with modest at best defense (usually due specifically to the players on the floor more than the system).

JOB has said he's working the system to fit his players, but take a look at his MO before getting here - no offense rebounding, huge levels of 3PA. Isn't Troy our Antoine at this point?

I don't know, I guess if it were me and the team was scorching along to a bad record I'd be looking for NEW ANSWERS. Again, it's not even about "tanking" or "playing the kids", it's about "what you are doing now ain't working".

He's motivated them, yes, but has he pointed that energy in the correct direction? I'm fearful of how bad next year could get.

Not only months but also how about injuries. Let's be honest here, if Dunleavy didn't go back down and if Quis would not have reinjured himself during a stretch how many min. do you think Rush would have gotten?

If Foster didn't have a bad back and Danny didn't go down so he couldn't team up the Murphy/Granger connection at the 4 & 5 how often do you think Roy would have been on the pine due to matchups?

I still see nothing to change my mind that O'Brien was forced to be a better coach because of the injury situation.

As to next season? Sadly I think we will end up looking back to this season with fondness. I hate saying that but with the teams inability to make any moves to improve the club and from what I understand will be a weak draft we will be fielding potentially 6 or 7 new players and most of those are going to be of the D league variety, which I don't mind but know that they will get limited min so they won't really help anything.

Naptown_Seth
03-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Quis plays bad so we won't miss him.

Since McRoberts usually doesn't get to play the least he could do is suck it up when he does so we'd all feel better about all his DNP time. But instead the selfish jerk plays great and leaves us wanting more and upset that he isn't playing.

I just want him to have the same sensitivity that Quis has shown, per your quote.
:)

Naptown_Seth
03-19-2009, 12:19 PM
I still see nothing to change my mind that O'Brien was forced to be a better coach because of the injury situation.
You might recall my Isiah rant from the NJ playoffs when JO got in game 4 foul trouble against KMart, who had been killing them. Isiah was forced to put Ron on him and he blew him up, what a happy accident for a coach.

Game 5 - all forgotten, never tried it at all.

So that's my worry. I worry when a coach stumbles into an apparent good thing and then doesn't grab onto it. The only hope here is that with Quis and Rasho unlikely to be kept it might yet continue to force JOB to play Rush and Roy a little next season.

Naptown_Seth
03-19-2009, 12:26 PM
For not being a distributor, TJ sure does rack a healthy number of assists.
???
5.2 per is "healthy" from your top PG?

It's good for 23rd in the NBA. On a team known for a very high pace of play and tons of 3P shooting (ie, easy assist on kickout or ball rotation). It's a PG's dream for assists.

The guy that replaced him in Toronto is racking up 8.6 a night on a team that's not really any better than Indy. And BTW, Stephen Jackson is racking up 6.6 himself.

Infinite MAN_force
03-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Im greatly looking forward to next year because due to our free agent losses, Obrien will be FORCED to rely on Hibbert, Rush, and Josh Mcroberts. Ultimately getting these guys some experience will improve the team because they will be much better than their counterparts, Rasho, Quis, and Baston. I see the team improving despite Obriens fear of playing inexperienced (yet, more talented) players. I am really sick of... yea, lets go with the less talented guy because he is less likely to make a mistake.

d_c
03-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Im greatly looking forward to next year because due to our free agent losses, Obrien will be FORCED to rely on Hibbert, Rush, and Josh Mcroberts. Ultimately getting these guys some experience will improve the team because they will be much better than their counterparts, Rasho, Quis, and Baston. I see the team improving despite Obriens fear of playing inexperienced (yet, more talented) players. I am really sick of... yea, lets go with the less talented guy because he is less likely to make a mistake.

Pacer fans are far from the only ones in the league who are upset that their rookie/young guys aren't getting the minutes they supposedly deserve. "Hey, so and so was playing just great and then coach pulled him for no particular reason for the rest of the game...."

That's a league wide occurence on just about every team.