PDA

View Full Version : Murphy Doubtful for Portland Game

duke dynamite
03-17-2009, 02:35 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090317/SPORTS04/90317065

Mike Wells

The Indiana Pacers, who are on a three-game losing streak, could be without forward Troy Murphy against the Portland Trail Blazers (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/#) on Wednesday.
Murphy, who is third in the league in rebounds, is doubtful with a left calf contusion.
Murphy injured his calf when teammate Brandon Rush accidentally kicked him in it in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s 23-point loss to the Toronto Raptors.
“I’ll decide that tomorrow,” Pacers coach Jim O’Brien said when asked who would start if Murphy doesn’t play. “We have options to go small. We’ll make that adjustment and worry about it when they tell us Murph can’t go.”

Murphy is 14.1 points and 11.9 rebounds a game this season.

This is going to be fun...

Speed
03-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Beat me by a minute!!!

Secretly I think Obie hopes that Rasho, Roy, Jeff, and Maceo come down with a virus for tomorrow night too.

OakMoses
03-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Secretly I think Obie hopes that Rasho, Roy, Jeff, and Maceo come down with a virus for tomorrow night too.

At that point, he'd almost be forced to play McRoberts.

CableKC
03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
At that point, he'd almost be forced to play McRoberts.
Or he's going to play Granger at the PF spot for the majority of the night....with Baston and McRoberts getting spot minutes.

OakMoses
03-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Or he's going to play Granger at the PF spot for the majority of the night....with Baston and McRoberts getting spot minutes.

I don't think there's any doubt of that. Probably the least likely scenario in your post is McRoberts getting spot minutes.

special ed
03-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Man, I hope OB was misquoted! "We've got some options to go small..."
WTF does that mean? I've kind of had it with this guy as a coach of a young team. Those "options to go small" didn't work out too well against the Raptors and OB is still thinking about that?
Ugh.

Lord Helmet
03-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Great. It never stops.

NuffSaid
03-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Lord Helmet,

You echo my semtiment exactly. :(

LoneGranger33
03-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Might as well read "Win Doubtful for Portland Game".

He's all we have.

Hoop
03-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Go small ball! Better lottery pick odds!

pwee31
03-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Ha, we just cannot get healthy!!!!! Of course we've missed Dun Dun for the majority or the season, but even when he returned we were missing key players. Now when Granger comes back.. we're missing Murphy. It's like we swap injured players.

Ok... well since he's returning... you can be injured now.. and then when you heal... tht guy can come down with an injury. It's like the team is taking turns with who can be hurt when. When Murph returns... it'll be Tj turn again... it just never fails.

Midcoasted
03-18-2009, 01:30 AM
At first I was hopeful McRoberts might add some toughness inside we've been missing next to Roy. Then I saw O'Brien said we'll play small and I suddenly realized why this season is almost lost. Just think how far along we'd be now if he gave McRoberts and Hibbert consistent minutes all year? Hell we'd actually have a chance to go on a run at the end.

ReginaldWayne
03-18-2009, 02:13 AM
At first I was hopeful McRoberts might add some toughness inside we've been missing next to Roy. Then I saw O'Brien said we'll play small and I suddenly realized why this season is almost lost. Just think how far along we'd be now if he gave McRoberts and Hibbert consistent minutes all year? Hell we'd actually have a chance to go on a run at the end.

You think if McBob got consistent minutes this year, we would have a better chance than our current one right now? I dont think he would have made a difference in the win/loss column. It seems clear the coach feels the same way.

Unclebuck
03-18-2009, 09:07 AM

Really? you really think all these two players need is some playing time. Josh might, might someday be a guy who gets regular minutes and by that I mean 10-15 minutes per game. It isn't like he's sitting over there with tons of talent just waiting for some P/T. This isn't JO sitting at the end of the Blazers bench.

Roy is a little different. But he has started 28 games and has played in 56 games this season while playing 740 minutes to date this season - the 9th most on the team. I think that is where most of us thought he would be with 15 games left - he is a big guy who was taken number 17. There were times this season where he was getting extremely frustrated eithewr because of fouls or poor play. IMO the worst thing for him would have been to force him into more minutes where he either would have developed bad habbits or become even more frustrated.

duke dynamite
03-18-2009, 09:24 AM
I love how this turned into a thread about the coach's decisions as fast as it did. This was not my intention when posting this. You guys just need to get off this...

Naptown_Seth
03-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Buck, I'm not sure when you had a chance to evaluate McBob this year. Did he play at some point and I missed it?
;)

I do think the team would have been A LITTLE BIT better had he played. Sure would have helped with fatigue on Jeff/Troy, would have added toughness on the inside, but then I guess McRoberts can't float the high post all game just shooting middies, therefore he's a worthless bum who'll never be anything.

I'm not exactly sure what it is that McRoberts does particularly poorly to be honest.

Duke - Troy being out with the team in such a bad spot is a perfect time for a coach litmus test. If McRoberts doesn't see 15-20 tonight (barring fouls/awful play) it pretty much cements the idea that JOB is going to go small ball as much as he's allowed to (ie, front office says "play our draft pick!")

Not sure what else Troy being out means to the current situation other than his 3PM thing is going to fall to the side in terms of pushing for the most makes in a season (long arc only).

OakMoses
03-18-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm not exactly sure what it is that McRoberts does particularly poorly to be honest.

He doesn't have a great jumpshot, probably on par with Foster's. I'd guess team defense, but we haven't seen enough of him to know. It's certainly not energy or athleticism. If you look at 82games, the team's actually been better defensively with him on the floor.

Speed
03-18-2009, 10:01 AM
I have issue with almost everytime Obie utters small ball, which is often. If he was playing small ball and it was working, I guess I'd be more accepting.

As for McBob, well he has a way to go, he does bring energy though and I'd guess with 14 games left, that would be a nice spark.

McBob needs to have a crazy good off season of development to earn some minutes next year with whoever he plays for. I think he can be a very good player, but I also think he could not be.

Sounds wishy washy, but McBob really needs to start to take things to the next level in this offseason.

He reminds of Al a little, not is style, but in that Al was lost and didn't have much game coming in, but he's really developed into a solid NBA player through hard work. I think Al is an example of good being the enemy of great, in that Al got "good enough" then hasn't gotten any better in awhile.

So as far as McBob is concerned he needs to maybe get with Roy and follow his work pattern this summer and see where it takes him.

McBob could be a unique player. A power forward who has great vision or he could be playing in Europe in two years resting on his athletic laurels.

McBob's to do list include, but are not limited to. A jumper, ability to dribble more than once with a guy on him in the half court offense, a jumper, team and individiual defensive experience/understanding, a jumper, and overall B ball IQ that doesn't completely predicate on his athleticism.

At this level, he's athletic, but not anymore than alot of guys so all of those things he could previously do based on physical ability are negated and he's never had to do things by just being smart.

Now is his chance.

Anthem
03-18-2009, 10:31 AM
I'd have to go back and watch the tape, but I'm somehow more impressed with McBob's jumper than the rest of you. Hasn't he hit a couple of nice ones and showed good form?

Speed
03-18-2009, 10:43 AM
I'd have to go back and watch the tape, but I'm somehow more impressed with McBob's jumper than the rest of you. Hasn't he hit a couple of nice ones and showed good form?

Going from a limited memory. It was inconsistent and until the last couple of games he played. When I say inconsistent I mean in form and substance not results, necessarily. Sometimes he jumps more, sometimes the arc is flatter, sometimes his elbow is in where it should be, sometimes he doesn't look like his feet are set and he's rushing through the motion, sometimes he follows through sometimes not.

Also, he was timid to take it.

You are right there's not a big body of evidence to work with here.

I always think a young bigman should have a money spot on the floor that he doesn't miss from.

I always think of PJ Brown who made a career out of hitting the 17 foot baseline jumper. Dude never missed.

Udonis Haslem consistently hits those 17 footers too. Really it just makes it where the guy guarding you can't help on D without you making them pay.

If McBob had a baseline 17 foot shot that he never missed when he was open it would really help him and help the team, imho.

I think a summer of getting up a TON of shots will really make all the difference for him and allow him to at least shoot the same way everytime, then those shots will go down pretty regularly, I think.

Hopefully Keller is around all summer and McBob listens to him.

special ed
03-18-2009, 11:10 AM
I love how this turned into a thread about the coach's decisions as fast as it did. This was not my intention when posting this. You guys just need to get off this...Maybe the quote from OB about making decision to go small should have been left out then?
My guess is if Oden plays, OB is forced to play Hibbert. If not, Roy sits until the game is out of reach.
The coach has become easy fodder when he addresses an injury with "going small."

Since86
03-18-2009, 11:40 AM
IMcBob's to do list include, but are not limited to. A jumper, ability to dribble more than once with a guy on him in the half court offense, a jumper, team and individiual defensive experience/understanding, a jumper, and overall B ball IQ that doesn't completely predicate on his athleticism.

Those two are almost complete opposites from where he was, while at Duke.

Speed
03-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Those two are almost complete opposites from where he was, while at Duke.

I've thought about those two things when I was writing it.

I think a few things about that.

McBob could handle the ball on the break in college. That's different than being able to clear room with the dribble with someone his own size and quickness on him from a standstill in the NBA in the half court.

Rarely this year has he looked comfortable with the ball on the perimeter, let alone shown the ability to change angles for the defense or make his man react to him with a hard couple of dribbles.

I know Obies offense is Princetonish in that the Bigs come out to the top of the key elbow and look for cutters, but it still doesn't mean McBob can or is willing to handle the ball in a set offense.

Lastly, there's a big difference handling the ball on the break when the floor doesn't have as much traffic and you have the defenders on their heels than trying to take a hard dribble with a guy guarding you close that has a 7 foot wingspan and there are 8 other players clogging up the half court. I'm not asking McBob to be a point guard here, but I do want him to not be a guy who can't wait to get rid of the ball when he's on the perimeter.

I think McBob could still handle the ball well for a bigman on a break in the pros, but it's not the same thing I was thinking of.

Secondly, Basketball ability predicated on his athleticism at Duke worked. In the Pros it doesn't as much. It's just the caliber of defender, imo.

The fact that he could do some of these things in college is hopefully a good indicator that he could someday do it in the pros, I hope at least.

The NBA is chock full of guys who can run and jump (looking at you James White) the difference is a big majority of them are smart too (not in life necessarily, but you know what I mean) (not in any way looking in your direction, James White) .

It's why when us weekend ball players as we get older are still able to play with the young guys who are now faster and jump higher. You get smarter or more effecient as you aren't able to rely on just blowing past a guy anymore. McBob needs to get smarter on the court and if he really works at it, I think he will.

I guess in summary, when you can't rely on a superior athletic advantage you have to be smarter and become more skilled. I don't think McBob has done that yet, but this summer could be a great opportunity. He's still very young.

Since86
03-18-2009, 12:03 PM
I've tried to find them before, and was unsuccessful, but I've heard Coack K talk about Josh as one of the best ballhandlers on the team while he was there. He said his dribbling ability and passing ability were the reasons why he was their press break.

Personally, I just think he's too uncomfortable out there to really showcase the public his ability. People talk about BRush not having confidence in his shot, and that's why he struggles, well I think Josh has little confidence in his overall game. He's never been aggressive, always passive, which is why Coach K made him a team capt. to thrust him into leading role.

Players fail when they play scared, and he just looks scared to make a mistake when he is on the floor.

BRushWithDeath
03-18-2009, 12:14 PM
I've tried to find them before, and was unsuccessful, but I've heard Coack K talk about Josh as one of the best ballhandlers on the team while he was there. He said his dribbling ability and passing ability were the reasons why he was their press break.

Personally, I just think he's too uncomfortable out there to really showcase the public his ability. People talk about BRush not having confidence in his shot, and that's why he struggles, well I think Josh has little confidence in his overall game. He's never been aggressive, always passive, which is why Coach K made him a team capt. to thrust him into leading role.

Players fail when they play scared, and he just looks scared to make a mistake when he is on the floor.

http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly/sports/basketball/duke-vs-gw-quotes-60318.shtml

Those are quotes from the Duke/George Washington NCAA tourney game a few years ago. I was looking for them after the Toronto debacle because that was the last time I'd seen Pops Mensah-Bonsu. It pretty much sums up what you were saying.

Speed
03-18-2009, 12:15 PM

I agree, B Rush and him both do.

Unclebuck
03-18-2009, 12:27 PM

OK - yeah that is about reason 19 on the list of 30 reasons why players fail.

O'Brien gives his players a lot of leeway on offense if they try and play defense. I mean if our rookies are too scared to play for JOB - I'd hate to see how they would fare with coaches such as Larry Brown, Phil Jackson, Popovich, and Jerry Sloan - who are much tougher on players than O'Brien is.

Since86
03-18-2009, 12:44 PM
OK - yeah that is about reason 19 on the list of 30 reasons why players fail.

I completely disagree.

Phsyically, there isn't a whole lot seperating players. (I'm ruling out players like LeBron and Dwight, because they're just freaks of nature)

There are tons of players across the nation that have higher verticals than 90% of the players in the league. There are better shooters, there are better ball handlers. There is someone out there that can do everything an NBA player can, but is working a blue collar job.

Non phsyical things set players apart. The phsyical aspect of the game is the easy thing to deal with.

What's between the ears is the most important thing. Whether it's attitude, confidence, or the willingness to put in the hard work.

Unclebuck
03-18-2009, 12:49 PM
I completely disagree.

Phsyically, there isn't a whole lot seperating players. (I'm ruling out players like LeBron and Dwight, because they're just freaks of nature)

There are tons of players across the nation that have higher verticals than 90% of the players in the league. There are better shooters, there are better ball handlers. There is someone out there that can do everything an NBA player can, but is working a blue collar job.

Non phsyical things set players apart. The phsyical aspect of the game is the easy thing to deal with.

What's between the ears is the most important thing. Whether it's attitude, confidence, or the willingness to put in the hard work.

Yes, I agree with almost all of that. But that wasn't what you said in your post I quoted. You said the players were scared to make mistakes - you didn't mention work ethic, attitude, one's own confidence, aggression.........(I don't lump all those things together into one) And the point I transitioned into (by naming the other coaches) is that seems to me the players lack confidence not because of JOB, but really in spite of him. I see JOB as a coach that gives his players a lot of confidence - he's an easy NBA coach to play for - one of the easiest I have seen. The first thing I noticed about Rush in preseason games was that he was a non-aggressive player - seems as though that is just his personality.

Peck
03-18-2009, 12:53 PM
I guess my problem is that I have always thought going small meant you were to get quicker and more athletic. Well, when we do this I just don't see that happening.

I mean when Philly goes small it is a heck of a lot differant than when we do.

As to McRoberts I said earlier that I will give O'Brien the benefit of the doubt here, however I think it is very dissapointing because he is one of those players who can play above the rim and we just don't have anyone else (other than Baston on occasion) who does this.

duke dynamite
03-18-2009, 12:54 PM
By the way, Murphy may not play tonight.

count55
03-18-2009, 12:55 PM

Who's this "Murphy" person?

Speed
03-18-2009, 01:05 PM
It will be interesting to see if the rest of the team can adjust to not having Murphy. He's really been a player who controls the defensive boards and gets a handful of trailer 3s in transition. There isn't one guy on the team that can mirror that type of play. If they start Jeff, I'd really hope/expect him to at least be able to get double digit boards if he gets 25 mins or so.

You could argue that losing Murph in this system is almost as big losing anyone.

I'll watch the game sans Murphy on both ends of the floor though. I want to see how the Pacers defend without him as well.

Since86
03-18-2009, 01:05 PM
I took it as you saying he didn't have the phsyical abilities, and that was his problem.

You do realize that when a player goes down, someone HAS to play for him right? What's wrong in discussing a possible replacement? How many times can "Ah shucks, that's too bad" be said before it starts getting redundant?

I feel like that's a lot of questions.

duke dynamite
03-18-2009, 01:12 PM
I took it as you saying he didn't have the phsyical abilities, and that was his problem.

You do realize that when a player goes down, someone HAS to play for him right? What's wrong in discussing a possible replacement? How many times can "Ah shucks, that's too bad" be said before it starts getting redundant?

I feel like that's a lot of questions.
I do realize that. I think that maybe we can talk about someone else other than McRoberts...

Not that I have anything against him.

pacergod2
03-18-2009, 01:15 PM
These young guys just need a dose of heavy minutes in REAL GAMES. We are NOT making the playoffs. PLAY the YOUNG guys!!!!! DEAR GOD JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!! Let them play 30+ minutes a night and let them make all the mistakes they can possibly make this year so it won't be a complete WASTE! I am just so friggin angry that these guys aren't getting more minutes. I don't understand how they think we are going to make the playoffs by jumping over 6 teams. NOT HAPPENING. And I am an eternal optimist. WTF. We have 14 games to play our young guys. Lets see if we can lose enough these last 14 to pass Golden State and Toronto in the standings. Move up a couple picks to allow our front office to have more trade value. I want Ford/Jack, Rush, Granger, McRoberts, and Hibbert starting. Make sure the three rooks are playing more than 30 minutes per game. Get Jack and Ford about 25 minutes per game AT PG. Let Granger get back in the flow of the game at about 20-25. Let him get some time with Rush to work on things defensively. Fill in the backup minutes with Daniels and Graham. See how McRoberts and Hibbert will look against some of these other teams front lines. REST Foster and Murphy who have taken a beating this year. Use Baston and Rasho to eat up whatever minutes are left because they are both gone.

Sorry for the RANT. I am over the playoffs. Our team is in too much disarray with injuries and inconsistency that its in our better interest to move forward without false hopes of playoffs basketball.

duke dynamite
03-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Calm down. :P

Since86
03-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Josh is the only question mark we really have up front. We've seen Baston before, and we know what the rest of the roster offers.

duke dynamite
03-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Josh is the only question mark we really have up front. We've seen Baston before, and we know what the rest of the roster offers.
It's okay.

pacergod2
03-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Care more.;);)

Anthem
03-18-2009, 02:35 PM
I checked Mac's shot chart on NBA.com... that's a pretty slick feature. He's seems to be money from the FT line and FT/extended, as well as the left baseline. Almost all of the rest of his makes came at the rim.... very few long jumpers and no 3s.

http://www.nba.com/hotspots/

pacergod2
03-18-2009, 03:02 PM
That is an awesome feature. VERY interesting to see what some of our guys shooting percentages are from where. Jack and Daniels were the two most interesting to me. Danny needs to work on his mid range game I think to round out his game a little more. Or go to it more to mix it up. I really thought that was great feature. Thanks Anthem.

Unclebuck
03-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Nice feature. Many of you probably guessed what I latched onto. I wanted to see how Foster's in the paint % compared with other players.

Foster is shooting 60% this season and 61% last season in the paint. David Lee of the Knicks is shooting 61% this season and 60% last. Marquis Daniels is shooting 58% this season and 60% last.

Not sure if this proves anything or disproves anything, but it seems to me that it shows that Jeff doesn't miss a greater % of close shots than anyone else. Of course we probably need a further breakdown from points in the paint to layups.

Naptown_Seth
03-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Yes, but I'm trying to be understanding here and would view his game as not "high post oriented".

Like I've said before, I just don't know exactly what he's done wrong when he played this year. When I see Baston I see a guy that's lost a step, so that's the knock on him. Graham I see really bad defense, though he is a nice "need to light it up quick" guy and the best dunker on the team by far. Rush and Roy make TONS of mistakes, I'm just willing to live with them as they get up to speed.

But with McRoberts I feel like you have a kid that reevaluated his career and is determined to not let it derail yet. Pair that with a Duke education in basketball plus plenty of athletic talent and it would seem like he's progressed and is ready for his chance.

It's like JO in Portland. You know, except for all the massive front court depth in front of him. ;)

Naptown_Seth
03-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Nice feature. Many of you probably guessed what I latched onto. I wanted to see how Foster's in the paint % compared with other players.

Foster is shooting 60% this season and 61% last season in the paint. David Lee of the Knicks is shooting 61% this season and 60% last. Marquis Daniels is shooting 58% this season and 60% last.

Not sure if this proves anything or disproves anything, but it seems to me that it shows that Jeff doesn't miss a greater % of close shots than anyone else. Of course we probably need a further breakdown from points in the paint to layups.
I regret the day that I posted that thread about Jeff's poor putbacks back 2 years ago I think it was. I did it because he was having a BAD MONTH at the time and it caught my attention. Suddenly it became this new thing that he never hit putbacks which isn't true. He had a month or so where he was terrible, it ended, I was satisfied that he was back on track.

Quis in the paint, isn't that incredible. The guy is an inside scoring machine. He's way above average in that respect.

Unclebuck
03-19-2009, 08:01 AM
I regret the day that I posted that thread about Jeff's poor putbacks back 2 years ago I think it was. I did it because he was having a BAD MONTH at the time and it caught my attention. Suddenly it became this new thing that he never hit putbacks which isn't true. He had a month or so where he was terrible, it ended, I was satisfied that he was back on track.

Quis in the paint, isn't that incredible. The guy is an inside scoring machine. He's way above average in that respect.

So you are who I can blame. OK.

It happens all the time with things, inside and outside sports. Someone presents a theory - Foster misses a lot of layups. Fairminded people think, hmmm - maybe so, let me watch for it, and everyone he misses, the fairminded person says - yes he does miss a lot of layups and then it gets repated and repated and before too long it is fact.

BillS
03-19-2009, 08:14 AM
I watched McBob very specifically during the times he was in the game. In most cases, he was not in the action mix but there were a few times he affected the on-court play. I liked how active his hands were but he drew at least one foul through silly attempts to get to the ball, so that might have been a wash. It was at the other end of the court from us and there were people in the aisle, but I am pretty sure he was the one with the great heads-up play as the ball was going out of bounds after a missed Pacer shot to punch it back and bounce it off a Portland player to get a new possession.

He seemed adequate but not spectacular, which is why I wish we'd cut through all the whining and try to get some inside info on what it is about his game that isn't compatible with JOB and being on the floor. Everything we come up with here seems biased one way or the other.

count55
03-19-2009, 08:44 AM
I watched McBob very specifically during the times he was in the game. In most cases, he was not in the action mix but there were a few times he affected the on-court play. I liked how active his hands were but he drew at least one foul through silly attempts to get to the ball, so that might have been a wash. It was at the other end of the court from us and there were people in the aisle, but I am pretty sure he was the one with the great heads-up play as the ball was going out of bounds after a missed Pacer shot to punch it back and bounce it off a Portland player to get a new possession.

Yup...the ball was going out of bounds, and he threw it back off of Oden's leg to keep possession.

He seemed adequate but not spectacular, which is why I wish we'd cut through all the whining and try to get some inside info on what it is about his game that isn't compatible with JOB and being on the floor. Everything we come up with here seems biased one way or the other.

I think Obie, it's about trust, and he doesn't have a vast stockpile of it.

Also, I like McRoberts' energy, but he doesn't strike me as a game changer, or even a particularly skilled player. While I'd like to see him get the kind of minutes he got last night regularly, there was nothing that particularly said to me that he should get a lot more minutes than that.

ReginaldWayne
03-19-2009, 11:53 PM

There was also a play im not sure if some ppl caught, but the ball swung to the left side, McBob was defending LMA, Rasho was defending Oden, and McBob just inexplicably switched onto Oden...So both Rasho and McBob were covering Oden down low, LMA then gets the ball foul line extended and shoots a wide open Jumper with Rasho running out on him late. He missed it, then McBob gobbled up the rebound over Oden which was pretty nice. Im just sayin. Its not that big a deal, but Im sure JOB saw it and wasnt happy about the defensive miss-communication.