View Full Version : Stephon Jackson suspended one game

Country Boy
03-17-2009, 02:28 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/449/story/1089387.html
The Associated Press

So much for a new attitude.

2minutes twowa
03-17-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't have a link for this because I read it in the hard copy of Sports Illustrated. They did a survey of NBA players asking them what players would they least like to have on their team. Stephen Jackson and Ron Artest were in the top 5.

Since86
03-17-2009, 03:32 PM
It was posted a few weeks back. FWIW

ajbry
03-17-2009, 03:44 PM
So much for impartiality...

A) It's Stephen.
B) That SI poll: Jack was tied with Kobe and Arenas; Artest was higher.
C) Incident that put him over the technicals limit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMSNaQoJBoA

And just for fun, D) he's been the 4th leading scorer in the league for the past 6 weeks along with 8 assists...

Roaming Gnome
03-17-2009, 03:55 PM

A) It's Stephen.
C) Incident that put him over the technicals limit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMSNaQoJBoA

And just for fun, D) he's been the 4th leading scorer in the league for the past 6 weeks along with 8 assists...
We never did see what Jackson did to get rung up other then "run his mouth". Judging from the way Don Nelson was also tossed a few moments later.... Looks like the official was having a bad day.

"19,596 stand to watch a guy blow a whistle, now that is sad."

Knucklehead Warrior
03-17-2009, 04:14 PM

You're kidding right?

BlueNGold
03-17-2009, 04:35 PM
With all due respect...and I actually mean it...who really cares? I guess some people do....

ReginaldWayne
03-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Where is that thread where it rated best/worse teammates i cant find it under the Search function?

Trader Joe
03-17-2009, 05:05 PM
I find it ironic that the guy that started this thread is one of the people always complaining that we should stop talking about Jack, IIRC.

I don't really care one way or the other, and I wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep if Jackson was never mentioned on this board again, but I do find that interesting.

ajbry
03-17-2009, 05:40 PM
You're kidding right?

Everything I posted is absolutely correct, including questioning the merit of the 2nd technical foul assessed to Jack...

I don't enjoy when people speak ill of situations they aren't adequately informed of.

jhondog28
03-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Jackson is a warrior...If you are a Warriors fan I am sure this is of interest to you. Since I am a Pacers fan I just don't care about this. to be honest this seems like a thread started to cause a stir and therefore is pointless.

GO!!!!!
03-17-2009, 06:04 PM
I question what he was complaining about in the first place..

he had nothing to do with the shot or rebound, he just hassled the rebounder for a couple seconds and then "chirped off"

Sad sequence of events really, I'd have like to see that ref away from the Warriors bench during that sequence of events, poor judgement there and the tacky foul on Barbosa bleh....

Intresting time in the game too according to the utube link, Suns on a 14-3 Run or something close to that...

Haggard
03-17-2009, 06:32 PM
the thing is it doesn't take much to rack up a tech foul these days.

GO!!!!!
03-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Very true...

Guess after some incidents of the past, Zero Tolerence Applys which is a good thing I guess for the cleaner players who just want to play..

Just sad when they get a second T and argue with it.. it looks stupid for everyone...

Country Boy
03-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Jackson is a warrior...If you are a Warriors fan I am sure this is of interest to you. Since I am a Pacers fan I just don't care about this. to be honest this seems like a thread started to cause a stir and therefore is pointless.

So, all of the bash Murphy threads were started for what reason?

Country Boy
03-17-2009, 09:32 PM
I find it ironic that the guy that started this thread is one of the people always complaining that we should stop talking about Jack, IIRC.

I don't really care one way or the other, and I wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep if Jackson was never mentioned on this board again, but I do find that interesting.

Just curious did you question thread starters in the past when they posted glowing reports about Jackson? Jackson was a Pacer who according to some got a bum rap when he was here, I was simply pointing out that we should be glad we didn't listen to those few who wanted him to stay.

Shade
03-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Once a knucklehead, always a knucklehead.

Trader Joe
03-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Just curious did you question thread starters in the past when they posted glowing reports about Jackson? Jackson was a Pacer who according to some got a bum rap when he was here, I was simply pointing out that we should be glad we didn't listen to those few who wanted him to stay.

No, I generally stayed away from them. I'm just saying that if you want people to stop talking about Jackson you probably shouldn't post things that make him look bad either.

Dr. Goldfoot
03-17-2009, 10:17 PM
and still at least the second best best player on this team.

Anthem
03-17-2009, 10:48 PM
I didn't see anything in the video that looked knucklehead-ish. If that's the standard for a tech, most guys in the NBA could get 2 a night, easy.

heywoode
03-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Everything I posted is absolutely correct, including questioning the merit of the 2nd technical foul assessed to Jack...

I don't enjoy when people speak ill of situations they aren't adequately informed of.

Especially when they are derogatory to the player who's nuts you swing off of!

I'm just giving ya grief, AJ...I like ya and all, but it is a bit entertaining sometimes watching you run to the defense of Jacko...It's almost like fishing.

Put some bait out there, and sooner or later, you will get a nibble!

Knucklehead Warrior
03-18-2009, 08:01 AM

HEY, watch it pal. :laugh: :buddies: :laugh:

count55
03-18-2009, 08:18 AM
I think we should trade Jackson, so that we can stop arguing about him. I think he creates some of his own problems, but he also gets an unfair amount of blame and criticism. The back and forth is tiring and non-productive.

I'm sure that if he was out of town, say, somewhere far away, like the West Coast, we could all just move on with our lives.

Plus, he must have some kind of health issues. He hasn't suited up for the Pacers once this season, but not a single word about why! (The Pacers are acting as if he isn't even on the team...liars. I, for one, am tired of the cloak and dagger.)

BillS
03-18-2009, 08:31 AM
I think we should trade Jackson, so that we can stop arguing about him. I think he creates some of his own problems, but he also gets an unfair amount of blame and criticism. The back and forth is tiring and non-productive.

I'm sure that if he was out of town, say, somewhere far away, like the West Coast, we could all just move on with our lives.

Plus, he must have some kind of health issues. He hasn't suited up for the Pacers once this season, but not a single word about why! (The Pacers are acting as if he isn't even on the team...liars. I, for one, am tired of the cloak and dagger.)

:spitout:

Naptown_Seth
03-18-2009, 08:37 AM

And from a very inside source I was told Jack's Pacer teammates loved him. His coach sure did.

But the OP on this one doesn't surprise me in the least. His love/obsession for Jack far exceeds ajbry's and gets really old.

Jack is just a guy like Sheed that runs emotional and gets T'd up more than normal. He plays hard and has had a lot more statistical success since the GS trade than Dun, primarily due to year 1 and then this year's injury.

And the only reason it's ever a p***ing contest where ajbry and I stand on one side is because the insanely irrational hatred of Jackson as all things evil. Of the big 4, Ron, JO, Tins and Jack I think Jack did the least to hurt the team and is the one guy I'd still want here. JO was apparently far more demanding in terms of being the man, and regardless of that his injuries made his contract a really nasty problem (see Dun this year). So even if JO is Mr. Nice he still ended up killing the team far more. I'd also throw Harrington in there as a much worse team killer.

Jackson's crime was/is being the NBA's version of Paul O'Neil. Oh no.

Naptown_Seth
03-18-2009, 08:44 AM
I agree with Bill, props to Count on that one.

I will add that he's one of the few former Pacers that I still enjoy, probably more than I did when he was here. If he wasn't demonized and we just discussed his erratic play I'd probably like him less. Plus I think he stepped his game up another level in GS.

If the OP wants to start a thread talking about James Jones I'll happily jump in on that discussion too. Or James White. Heck, I'm still interested in seeing what Shawne becomes (or doesn't).

Formers that I'm pretty low on interest for - Tins, JO, Fred, Harrington, AJ, AC (basically retired), KRush (although I am curious now that I think of it), Gill...hmm, at this point if you aren't on the list I'm really low on interest for you I guess. :)

I mean a thread because a guy hit his technical foul limit on the year? That's a huge meh when placed beside the Rawle Marshall beat down video.

We never did see what Jackson did to get rung up other then "run his mouth".Yeah, I'm not quite sure what happened there. He's T'd as they run back up court so it had to be for a quick comment about the officiating quality that triggered it. Everyone on the Warriors is confused, especially since the technical was assessed while 8 of the guys were in the front court and the 2 that weren't were almost to half court.

The discussion is relevant in terms of "would you want Jarret Jack booted for that?" I've heard Foster make comments in that situation that were clearly let go by the ref and weren't exactly complimentary of the ref's effort to call the game correctly (by name). He also loves to blue up the language in those situations (and for a lot of those hard plays who can blame him).

Refs need to understand the ramifications of allowing hard play and how that impacts people emotionally. You get popped pretty good and you are going to react out of instinct. Give the guy space to cool it and then let him have it if he doesn't. You can't jump a guy right after contact on a no call even if he's wrong to complain.

2minutes twowa
03-18-2009, 08:45 AM

A) It's Stephen.

No one doubts his basketball ability. The guy would be tearing it up in JOB's system. But it speaks of you as a person when your own peers vote you as one of the top 5 players you wouldn't want on your team. The same goes for Arenas, Kobe and Artest.

Trader Joe
03-18-2009, 10:09 AM
No one doubts his basketball ability. The guy would be tearing it up in JOB's system. But it speaks of you as a person when your own peers vote you as one of the top 5 players you wouldn't want on your team. The same goes for Arenas, Kobe and Artest.

Just thought I'd chime in on this, that poll is REALLY inaccurate because it doesn't tell us how many people in the poll actually played with those players. I bet every single dude that said he wouldn't want to play with Kobe would sell his soul tomorrow if it meant his team could get Kobe Bryant.

ChicagoJ
03-18-2009, 10:33 AM
No one doubts his basketball ability.

That's not true. I hate his game. Too many shots, and bad ones at that. Too many turnovers. Way too streaky. Ballhog. Besides, if he were the #3/#4 option in Nellie's system, he'd look a lot different... He's gone right back to what I always said he was: if he's your #1 or #2 option then you've got a bad basketball team.

When you combine that with my dislike of his punch-fans-first-ask-questions-later mantra, scream at the officials, coach, and teammates every time you feel you've been diss'ed bull****, then he becomes the poster child for NBA players that make my stomach turn.

Shade
03-18-2009, 11:29 AM
And from a very inside source I was told Jack's Pacer teammates loved him. His coach sure did.

But the OP on this one doesn't surprise me in the least. His love/obsession for Jack far exceeds ajbry's and gets really old.

Jack is just a guy like Sheed that runs emotional and gets T'd up more than normal. He plays hard and has had a lot more statistical success since the GS trade than Dun, primarily due to year 1 and then this year's injury.

And the only reason it's ever a p***ing contest where ajbry and I stand on one side is because the insanely irrational hatred of Jackson as all things evil. Of the big 4, Ron, JO, Tins and Jack I think Jack did the least to hurt the team and is the one guy I'd still want here. JO was apparently far more demanding in terms of being the man, and regardless of that his injuries made his contract a really nasty problem (see Dun this year). So even if JO is Mr. Nice he still ended up killing the team far more. I'd also throw Harrington in there as a much worse team killer.

Really? Jackson is the one primarily responsible for escalating the brawl. I'd argue that, at the very least, Jackson did the second-most harm to this franchise, next to Ron-Ron himself.

My problem with Jackson was not only his constant whining, but his erratic play on the court. Jackson is playing well right now, but it won't be too long before he's back to shooting 30%- for a stretch of games, like he was doing not too long ago.

Country Boy
03-18-2009, 11:59 AM

The OP has a name. I posted this thread to illustrate why Jackson should have been traded and he has not disappointed me. You should have put a picture of your self next to your "love/obsession comment".:)

Kuq_e_Zi91
03-18-2009, 12:08 PM
The OP has a name. I posted this thread to illustrate why Jackson should have been traded and he has not disappointed me. You should have put a picture of your self next to your "love/obsession comment".:)

Well, I'm disappointed. What did we get out of that trade? One good year by Dunleavy? Now we're paying his salary for 18th months while he can't even play. Murphy? He's been great and I love him, but we're still looking for a PF. Ike Diogu! ... Oh, he couldn't even get off the bench.

Sometimes I miss Jax just because of his defense. He's great on the offense end too, but we don't need that. Especially with Quis (arguably our best perimeter defender) most likely leaving this summer, Jax could fill that role and 10x more on the offensive end.

What's Jackson doing wrong? Showing too much emotion? Toughness? Sometimes I think this team could use some more.

Mourning
03-18-2009, 12:17 PM

I don't particularly like Jackson, but I'm with you on this one.

Since86
03-18-2009, 12:31 PM
I don't particularly like Jackson, but I'm with you on this one.

Why? So what his 16th tech was questionable. Quite frankly, he shouldn't be near that number.

Players with history of having on court behavior thats worthy of technicals don't get very long leashes. That's a fact of the game.

Things that don't get Amir Johnson T'd up, will get Sheed one.

Jack is known to the officials as someone who *****es and moans at every opportunity, and a lot of the time won't even get back on defense to do so.

There's always an excuse when it comes down to it. "He really didn't do anything to deserve that last one." My response? "He did something to deserve the other 15."

I will now go back to the sidelines and read the same people offer up the same arguments time and time again (on both sides).

Quis
03-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Stupid is as stupid does.

pizza guy
03-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Why? So what his 16th tech was questionable. Quite frankly, he shouldn't be near that number.

Players with history of having on court behavior thats worthy of technicals don't get very long leashes. That's a fact of the game.

Things that don't get Amir Johnson T'd up, will get Sheed one.

Jack is known to the officials as someone who *****es and moans at every opportunity, and a lot of the time won't even get back on defense to do so.

There's always an excuse when it comes down to it. "He really didn't do anything to deserve that last one." My response? "He did something to deserve the other 15."

I will now go back to the sidelines and read the same people offer up the same arguments time and time again (on both sides).

While I do agree with this, I can't say that I mind a player getting that many technicals over the course of a season. I like to see the emotion. Maybe there's better ways to express it, and there can definitely be bad times to express it in that manner. But, I do like a guy that shows some real fire and heart.

I'm not a fan of Jax. Mainly, I can't stand his streakiness and poor decision making. But, the one thing about him that you have to like as a basketball fan, is that there's no question about his effort and heart. Jax never held anything back, he always laid it on the court. That's admirable. Trouble is, he doesn't know how to harness the emotion to be constructive. Instead, he does whine too much, and he loses his judgment in chaos (like the brawl).

I guess what I'm saying, is it's better to have heart than not. Technicals don't necessarily mean you're a bad guy, but there is a certain measure of restraint that professionals should be able to have. Either way, Jax isn't our problem anymore, he's Golden State's.

--pizza

BruceLeeroy
03-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Doesn't surprise me. Dudes got emotional problems similar to Sheed.

I'm still trying to figure out when Jackson became this great defender people are talking about because he sure wasn't here. Maybe people are still jocking him for Dirk choking in the playoffs a coulple years back.

ajbry
03-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Doesn't surprise me. Dudes got emotional problems similar to Sheed.

I'm still trying to figure out when Jackson became this great defender people are talking about because he sure wasn't here. Maybe people are still jocking him for Dirk choking in the playoffs a coulple years back.

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/03/nowitzki-we-havent-done-anything-yet.html

"Jax's a terrific all-around player,'' Carlisle said. "When I was in Indiana with him, he and Artest were our two best perimeter defenders. He's an experienced guy, strong and quick. He has a good understanding of the game on the defensive side of the ball.''

ChicagoJ
03-18-2009, 04:38 PM
When he's not yelling at the officials at the other end of the court, of course...

Haggard
03-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Of the big 4, Ron, JO, Tins and Jack I think Jack did the least to hurt the team and is the one guy I'd still want here. JO was apparently far more demanding in terms of being the man, and regardless of that his injuries made his contract a really nasty problem (see Dun this year). So even if JO is Mr. Nice he still ended up killing the team far more. I'd also throw Harrington in there as a much worse team killer.

Yeah, great point. The guy still turned up an lead the team when the fans had quit on him prior to the trade and yet, he still gave it his all for 48 minutes of every game.

I mean a thread because a guy hit his technical foul limit on the year? That's a huge meh when placed beside the Rawle Marshall beat down video.
again great comment.

Country Boy
03-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Yeah, great point. The guy still turned up an lead the team when the fans had quit on him prior to the trade and yet, he still gave it his all for 48 minutes of every game.

again great comment.

Yeah, just like the threads on Murphy and cheap rebounds, right?

Haggard
03-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah, just like the threads on Murphy and cheap rebounds, right?

I wouldn't know. I didn't start that thread and don't believe that I posted in that thread either.

BruceLeeroy
03-18-2009, 08:27 PM
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/03/nowitzki-we-havent-done-anything-yet.html

Jacks an average defender. I never said he was terrible. Thing is he has the tools to be great, but doesn't put forth the effort or energy every possesion. Too many times he takes plays off or whines to the refs. Being the captain of your team he sets a bad example.

ajbry
03-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Jacks an average defender. I never said he was terrible. Thing is he has the tools to be great, but doesn't put forth the effort or energy every possesion. Too many times he takes plays off or whines to the refs. Being the captain of your team he sets a bad example.

Jack's not an 'average' defender... He's an 'average' defender when he's tired, I guess.

Otherwise given the fact he carries a massive offensive burden and is still expected to defend the opposition's best player, he does an admirable job. He was a very solid but not spectacular defensive player as a Pacer.

Big Smooth
03-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Ron Artest looked at somebody funny today, I think we need a thread about that too. :D

Spirit
03-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Woops I didn't realize I was posting on formerpacersdigest.com