PDA

View Full Version : Why the Pacers Need To Make The Playoffs!

eldubious
03-14-2009, 06:31 PM
In a normal year, a mediocre team like the Pacers would be better off looking to get a high lottery pick. But, this year is different, the draft is considerably weak. First, anything less than a top two pick is not that much of an improvement. The Pacers need Griffin or Thabeet, and the Pacers would need a top two pick to get either one of them. Secondly, the Pacers are in financial disarray, the money problems will get worse without the playoffs or the number one pick. As of now, the playoffs are more likely. Thirdly, with the draft being so weak, it is likely the Pacers can make the playoffs and still get an effective player. Lets figure the Pacers make the playoffs and get the 14th pick. The 14th pick will be just as good as the 6th pick in this year's draft. They could still draft a Blair, Monroe, or Clark at number 14. Another possiblity is in a weak draft, trades are more likely. A team that has a dominant big may be willing to trade a top two pick if the package is sweet enough. To sum everything up, this year's draft gives the Pacers alot of possibilities while still making the playoffs, something the Pacers need to do with thier tough economic situation.

Infinite MAN_force
03-14-2009, 06:45 PM
I am tending to agree. There is just not much of a reason to root for the lottery this year.

Given all the talk of the Simons and money problems, this team making the playoffs would be a big deal. We really need to get the city behind the team.

PacersRule
03-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I agree. With this kind of financial problem, it would certainly mean a lot if we could make the playoffs (even if it only means two extra home games). Simons can put some money into his pocket, and the players can have some experience to enhance their games.
However (kind of being hopeful here), although this year's picks might not be as good, there might still be some hidden potential. Many of the NBA above average players were second round picks, like Boozer, Arenas, Okur, Redd, Rashard Lewis, Ginobili, Trevor Ariza...just to name a few.

plutarch
03-14-2009, 11:32 PM
there is a difference between need to make the playoffs and actually making the playoffs
sure it would be good and i think all of us want to see them make the playoffs but it will be very hard to get in the playoffs

vnzla81
03-15-2009, 10:03 AM
they lost money when they when to the finals with Reggie, they are going to lose money either way

YoSoyIndy
03-15-2009, 01:18 PM
they lost money when they when to the finals with Reggie, they are going to lose money either way

Still, the playoffs can bring in a couple mill in revenue I'm sure, so you'd much rather have it than not. Think about it -- the Pacers would play the Celtics or Cavs and therefore have a lot of people in the building.

Spirit
03-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Still, the playoffs can bring in a couple mill in revenue I'm sure, so you'd much rather have it than not. Think about it -- the Pacers would play the Celtics or Cavs and therefore have a lot of people in the building.
There would probably be more Cavs fans than Pacers fans in conseco :-o

YoSoyIndy
03-16-2009, 08:51 PM
There would probably be more Cavs fans than Pacers fans in conseco :-o

They'd have to pay, so it would still generate more revenue.