PDA

View Full Version : If the Pacers ever did move, whom would you root for?

Phree Refill
03-13-2009, 07:56 AM
I was just wondering if everyone would continue to follow the team to whatever city it moved to, or if you would abandon ship and pick a new team that was closer to indianapolis, OR just stop rooting for any team at all. While the team would always hold a special place in my heart I just don't think i would be able to follow them near as closely as I currently do. Wherever they moved to i would always keep and interested eye as to how they are doing but ultimately i don't think it would mean the same to me.

I don't think i could stop watching NBA basketball completely but it would definitely not be as enjoyable anymore without a hometown team. I sat back and seriously thought about who else i might root for should the Pacers ever move. I can't stand Detroit. Chicago is out of the question just because they have to much history for me to feel like i would be a real part of their team. Cleveland is too good right now. I wouldn't want to seem like a bandwagon fan. Milwuakee...... no.

I came to the conclusion that i would probably start rooting for Memphis. They suck right now so it'd be a chance for me to get in on the bottom floor and build a real connection with the team when they begin to win again. Plus it would be interesting to be more engaged with the Western Conference rather than the Eastern Conference as i have been for the past 13 years. Just a nice change of pace. Memphis wouldn't really allow me to see many games in person but I'd make sure to take a few 3 day weekends and take a trip down there for some of the times in their schedule where they play two games over the course of the weekend.

Of course there are rumors Memphis could be moving as well so I could be setting myself up for a letdown. Oh well. ...Just an interesting topic that i'd like to get your opinions on. Who would you root for?

Will Galen
03-13-2009, 07:58 AM
I live in Florida so the Pacers moving to another city wouldn't much matter to me.

Putnam
03-13-2009, 08:06 AM
I would not watch any pro basketball if there weren't the Indiana Pacers.

If the Pacers left Indy, I'd probably lose 15 pounds and develop that washboard, master those last few Robert Johnson blues licks, and write that best-selling book.

ABADays
03-13-2009, 08:08 AM
I would no longer watch NBA basketball.

2minutes twowa
03-13-2009, 08:14 AM
I would continue to root for them, but without being able to see almost every game on TV, I wouldn't be a hard core fan. I think the ultimate stab to my heart would be to watch them win a championship in another city, or to see Reggie's number hanging in another arena. In just a few sentences, I've totally changed my mind. I am an Indiana Pacers fan. Not a Kansas City Pacers fan, a Louisville Pacers fan, or a St. Louis Pacers fan. I can't cheer for anyone else. My team would be gone.

count55
03-13-2009, 08:20 AM
The Colts

Hicks
03-13-2009, 08:21 AM
I'd probably keep an eye on them as long as they resemble the group that left, but I don't know that I'd say I was a fan anymore.

I can safely say that barring a major change of heart, this website would no longer be for the Pacers franchise, but rather the NBA in general (if anything).

I've felt for years that I'd probably be a Boston Celtics fan if not for the Pacers, so I'd try following them via League Pass and see how it goes. If I get into that, then I'm set. If not, then I don't know how much I'll continue to watch the NBA.

Speed
03-13-2009, 08:31 AM
I can't even bring myself to really even know. It's been a part of my childhood and with me from my first memories. Not trying to be dramatic here, but really it's been the one constant my entire life.

From the 70s playing as a 5 year old kid at halftime of games, to the 80s going to the top of the LaFallotte building at Ball State so I can pick up the AM radio signal, barely, on a cheap handheld radio. Sitting in a curtain closed MSA with Johnny Davis as the Pacers best player. In the 90s, being at games like Reggie and Jalen's double 40, Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals when MJ steps on McKey's foot, an OT NBA Final game at Conseco where Shaq fouls out. To today, were I can watch almost everygame or DVR it and act like it's live, even when I can't. The plan is to hopefully pass that love of the team onto my infant daughter, eventually.

I honestly can not even imagine it, if they left.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
03-13-2009, 08:31 AM
I would never watch the NBA again and just spend all my sports time on my two loves: hockey and baseball.

Will Galen
03-13-2009, 08:48 AM
I am an Indiana Pacers fan. Not a Kansas City Pacers fan, a Louisville Pacers fan, or a St. Louis Pacers fan. I can't cheer for anyone else. My team would be gone.

What's in a name? A rose by any other name is still a rose.

There's lots of us here on PD that are out of town fans of the Pacers and don't go to the games. I live in Florida and call myself a Pacers fan. In today's world it's easy to follow your favorite team. I follow the Pacers on League Pass and via this board and the Internet.

The way I see it the only thing that would be changing for a lot of fans is their ability to go to the games.

Country Boy
03-13-2009, 08:53 AM
I'd probably keep an eye on them as long as they resemble the group that left, but I don't know that I'd say I was a fan anymore.

I can safely say that barring a major change of heart, this website would no longer be for the Pacers franchise, but rather the NBA in general (if anything).

I've felt for years that I'd probably be a Boston Celtics fan if not for the Pacers, so I'd try following them via League Pass and see how it goes. If I get into that, then I'm set. If not, then I don't know how much I'll continue to watch the NBA.

One thought Hicks, you could always bring back the News and Politics board. ;) Don't hit me, don't hit me, I am just kidding .

idioteque
03-13-2009, 09:07 AM
I would probably still root for the Pacers, although I don't know if I would be as big of a fan or not. Even though the Pacers never left me, I did sort of leave the Pacers by moving to another city so I am kind of disconnected from them right now as it is. So my fanhood would most likely hover at around the same level, although if by some sort of miracle they ended up in Baltimore I would probably become even a more hardcore fan since it is so close to DC.

That being said, I would never want the Pacers to leave Indiana. I had so many great experiences that were Pacer-related when I was a kid and I would want current Hoosier kids to have those same experiences.

BKK
03-13-2009, 09:10 AM
I'd keep watching NBA just because having been a Spurs fan for so long but losing our pro ball team in Indy would really hurt... After that I think the only team I can tolerate in the east is Atlanta

I guess I would still keep tabs on the Pacers but this would not have the same feeling. Pacers and Indiana are unseparable in my mind. There is a huge symbol linked with an NBA team representing this particular state... whatever team playing ball in Indiana has this special thing hanging with it, that's the common factor and probably the most important one

I really hope we find a way to keep the team here forever...

duke dynamite
03-13-2009, 09:13 AM
I would not be a happy camper. I am saying that to censor anything else I could possibly say.

Well, I'll go postal.

BillS
03-13-2009, 09:18 AM
I'd be so heartbroken I think I'd turn my back on the NBA.

I might root for the Mad Ants.

Even when I was away from Indiana, the Pacers were my link to home, and were a big part of my decision to come home. It would be like having my house burn down, even if everything was saved the memories would be orphaned.

sloopjohnb
03-13-2009, 09:29 AM

There's lots of us here on PD that are out of town fans of the Pacers and don't go to the games. I live in Florida and call myself a Pacers fan. In today's world it's easy to follow your favorite team. I follow the Pacers on League Pass and via this board and the Internet.

The way I see it the only thing that would be changing for a lot of fans is their ability to go to the games.

Same here. I moved to Florida and would say that if the Pacers move, I would still follow them. But I could understand those in Indy who would stop supporting the team or the NBA. When I lived in Indy and there was talk of the Colts moving, I swore I would jump ship on that team and find a new team to root for. But of course, that threat never came to fruition and now Indy has Lucas Oil Stadium to thank for the possibility of the Pacers leaving.

pacersgroningen
03-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Even though I am not from the states, nor have I ever been to a Pacers game, I would quit on the nba regular season. The only games that really interest me, are pacers games and on occasion a battle between some superstars that aren't in the western conference. Don't know why. I've been following the Pacers intense since the beginning and can't imagine loving another team. I mean, if your girlfriend had a trans-gender operation and you opposed to it, would you still stick with her afterwards?

Definite NO.

Roaming Gnome
03-13-2009, 09:47 AM
As my interest in sports in general has been waining... I'd probably give up watching sports beyond a "casual" level. The Colts are entertaining to me, but I just don't have the same passion for them as I do the Pacers.

So, I'd casually just be a fan like everyone else in Indianapolis. In it when they win, could give a damn when they're not winning at a .750 clip. That's what casual fans do, right?

Phree Refill
03-13-2009, 09:51 AM
I think the ultimate stab to my heart would be to watch them win a championship in another city, or to see Reggie's number hanging in another arena.

If they moved and won a championship in another city within the first 5 years of moving, I would be crushed. To know that we were just X number of years away from a championship. But if it was more years than that it wouldn't hurt as bad. Reggies jersey hanging anywhere but in indiana would be a travesty as well. There would be nothing more unfitting and insulting to have Reggie's jersey (a player that epitomized everything Indiana basketball was all about) hanging in a different state. Especially since his entire career was played here. His legacy was built here, and here it should always stay.

nerveghost
03-13-2009, 09:58 AM
I'd still root for the Pacers if they went to Vegas!

OakMoses
03-13-2009, 10:22 AM
I'd root for the Blazers and for ex-Pacer players that I like to do well, but I wouldn't get league pass and I probably wouldn't watch many regular season games.

xtacy
03-13-2009, 10:22 AM
since i don't live in america i wouldn't stop rooting for pacers but pacers belong to indy so it would be bad.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
The Pacers mean so much to me from my youth and really tie into my deep deep love for the city of Indianapolis. I will still love Indy and probably still get the skyline tattooed on me, but I couldn't watch the Pacers...it would hurt too much. I'd take my season ticket money over to the Indians and hope to God for an MLB team or an NHL team.

Tom White
03-13-2009, 11:53 AM
I'd root for the Cincinnati Royals! Love watching Oscar play!

OK, now back to reality.

I've always had an affinity for teams with links to IU, (Yes, I rooted for Detroit when Isiah was there.) and secondly Big Ten ties. That doesn't leave a lot of choices currently, outside of hoping Woodson's Atlanta team does well.

How many would turn their focus back to high school basketball?

Shade
03-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Nobody. If the Pacers left town, my interest in NBA basketball would leave with them.

Justin Tyme
03-13-2009, 12:22 PM
If the Pacers left, I'd cheer for 2 college teams... PURDUE and whoever was playing against IU.:D

Coop
03-13-2009, 12:26 PM
If the Pacers left, I think I would officially turn 100% of my sports dedicated time to IU. I already watch all the games, but having two basketball teams to follow kind of takes the stress away if one of the teams is doing poorly. With the Pacers leaving, I think it would most likely become an unhealthy addiction for me. I suppose it's a good thing IU is on the way up :D

On the topic of HS basketball, I don't know that there would be many that would turn to that. Granted, I'm only 19 and I don't remember single class basketball, but the way it's set up right now just isn't very exciting. I never even got into it that much in HS other than playing for/watching my school whenever we played. The whole idea of having 6 state champions is silly to me. It's like the grade school track events where no one wins. Everyone gets a ribbon because they're all "winners". You're either the best, or you're not. If the IHSAA wants high school basketball to return to higher level of popularity, they need to do away with class basketball. This topic has been beaten to death though so I'll just refrain from going any further.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a relocation of the Pacer franchise would be devastating for basketball fans across the state. Sure, we all have college basketball. The Pacers are a historic figure here though. Taking that away when basketball is, in my mind, the most popular and recognized pasttime in the state of Indiana would ruffle quite a few feathers.

Edit: It looks like a lot of us are in the same boat here. Hypothetically speaking, let's say that the Pacers do leave and end up in St. Louis, Baltimore, Louisville, etc. If 5-6 years later, the NBA decided to bring another team to Indianapolis, would you support them?

I think I would probably have a hard time being a fan of a different team in Indy. My attachment to the Pacers might even turn me away from a new team. Best case scenario, I would say it would take me at least a couple years to come around.

Kid Minneapolis
03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Tough call. It's hard to say until it actually happens, if it is going to happen... I know a lot of folks are saying they wouldn't watch 'em anymore, but I bet some of them will keep an eye on 'em in the least.

Myself... It would hurt like hell if they moved, because I'm proud of and loyal to my local teams... I probly wouldn't follow them hardcore anymore, but I'd definitely keep an eye on 'em for awhile.

I don't think I'd trade loyalties to another team, I'd probly just kinda become quasi-interested in the NBA and focus more on other things outside of basketball. I'd still have the Colts.

OTD
03-13-2009, 01:01 PM
The only reason I watch any of the NBA is because of the Indiana Pacers. So I woul most never watch another NBA again. Run and gun is not basketball to me. And the so called super stars should have to play by the same rules and rest of the team. I have never liked the NBA, and was in hopes the ABA could have made it.

PaceBalls
03-13-2009, 01:20 PM
I really just don't like any other team in the NBA. I would still be a fan of the Pacers. But it would be hard to really be into them if I couldn't watch all the games.

2minutes twowa
03-13-2009, 01:26 PM

I guess that's just the way I view sports. I root for the Colts and the Pacers because they represent my city and my state. I don't have a MLB team or a NHL team, because there isn't one in Indiana. Out of all of the NBA teams, I would want the Pacers to win most no matter where they're located, but to me they wouldn't be my team anymore. Others view it differently and that's cool, but this is just how I feel abou it.

travmil
03-13-2009, 01:29 PM
If the Pacers moved I would root for the entire NBA to implode on itself under a tidal wave of bad officiating and guaranteed salaries paid to ambivalent and injured players. Of course that might happen whether the Pacers move or not so...

DocHolliday
03-13-2009, 01:29 PM
The Colts and anyone with a clear shot at David Stern.

bellisimo
03-13-2009, 01:32 PM
i've never been to Indiana, yet I've been a Pacers fan since 1994. To me the history of the memories from the past 15 years is enough to not change my team...would it be weird? yes...would i stop supporting them? no i would not.

RamBo_Lamar
03-13-2009, 02:27 PM
http://brightstarimages.net/osc/images/Spurs_Logo_JPG.jpg

Phree Refill
03-13-2009, 02:40 PM
The Colts and anyone with a clear shot at David Stern.

Boom goes the dynamite

BillS
03-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Dynamite isn't selective enough.

Sollozzo
03-13-2009, 05:27 PM
I root for the hometown team, so I would lose all love for them immediately if they moved. I'd still like Granger, Rush, Hibbert and maybe a couple others, but I wouldn't care about the team/franchise anymore.

I love NBA basketball so it would be hard for me to quit watching it all together. But it would feel so awkward without the Indiana Pacers.

D23
03-13-2009, 05:35 PM
At first I'd probably follow the team, even though I'd be royally ticked that they left. But the more I think about it, I realize it'd be harder and harder to actually watch the games and over time the team just wouldn't have any special connection for me - especially once the leftover "Indiana" players were gone.

Spirit
03-13-2009, 05:37 PM
I'd switch to the Bucks or the Grizzlies.

Hoop
03-13-2009, 05:37 PM
If the Pacers ever leave town, I'd make it a point to never watch an NBA game again...... seriously.

Cherokee
03-13-2009, 05:40 PM
I've been a Pacer fan starting in the old ABA days, but I guess I'd have to find another team. I love NBA basketball, and I watch every night. I have League Pass HD and Fox Sports on four TVs in the house, so it is quite rare there isn't a game on. I even watch Classic games when I can. Fortunately, I work at home and there's a big TV in my office. I used to like the Warriors (my wife is from San Francisco-Oakland area), so I guess I could follow them. I'm not a big Nellie fan, though.

OT: People around Louisville here that are Kentucky fans are wanting them to fire Billy Gillespie, so I've recommended they hire JOB. They would love his style, but then they are Kentuckians (just kidding, don't go crazy on me).

CableKC
03-13-2009, 05:53 PM
I don't live in Indiana....so it doesn't matter to me....I would still be rooting for the Pacers.....whether they were located in Indy, San Diego or wherever the Simons decide to move the Team to.

Tom White
03-13-2009, 07:09 PM
If the Pacers left, I'd cheer for 2 college teams... PURDUE and whoever was playing against IU.:D

I always knew there was something wrong with you.

Unclebuck
03-13-2009, 07:40 PM
This thread oproves to me why the NBA doesn't normally do well in Indy. This is not an NBA area. Surprising how many of you die-hards "hate" the NBA

speakout4
03-13-2009, 07:55 PM
knicks and d'antoni

kester99
03-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Before the Pacers existed, I gravitated to any NBA team that had a lot of Indiana players. The Pistons, for example, could at one time put 5 players from Indiana schools on the floor at the same time.

I might end up doing that again, but it would take a long time. At first, I know I'd just feel bad every time I saw an NBA game.

JayRedd
03-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I dunno. Maybe. Maybe not. Would depend on how the whole thing played out. If it happened tomorrow and under particularly bad circumstances, I'd probably lean towards ditching the franchise since I don't really like many of our current players anyway.

Who would I root for otherwise? Probably whichever team has Dwyane Wade. He's by far my favorite non-Reggie Miller player to watch play. Or if Flash's team was particularly terrible to watch/one of the Knicks or Pistons (same thing really, right?), I would probably root for whoever has CP3. Or maybe I would jump on the local Brooklyn Nets ship provided that still happens someday. It would be nice to actually watch the team I root for play live regularly.

Then again, I might just become an NBA atheist and just be a fan of the entire League in a "devoted and enthusiastic spectator" role rather than caring about which team wins or loses (aside from the Knicks and Pistons, naturally).

It's really impossible to say unless it actually God forbid happens.

NapTonius Monk
03-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm a fan of the game. So I'd still watch the NBA. I just wouldn't have an affixed loyalty to anyone. I might pay more attention to Chicago, as they're the closest team.

YoSoyIndy
03-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Another good question is -- would you root for a new NBA franchise in Indiana? Let's say the team leaves for another city and then Indy gets a new franchise a few years later. Would that even be a part of it?

That's what the Browns faced and that's what Seattle could if they ever would get a new team. It would seem weird to me.

2minutes twowa
03-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Another good question is -- would you root for a new NBA franchise in Indiana? Let's say the team leaves for another city and then Indy gets a new franchise a few years later. Would that even be a part of it?

That's what the Browns faced and that's what Seattle could if they ever would get a new team. It would seem weird to me.

Whatever team plays in Indiana is my team, so I would root for the new team.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
03-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Whatever team plays in Indiana is my team, so I would root for the new team.

Seconded.

RWB
03-14-2009, 07:48 AM

I guess PD would become CD maybe? :devil:

jeffg-body
03-14-2009, 08:57 AM
I'd have to say Boston or Cleveland. I hope it never comes to that though.

LoneGranger33
03-14-2009, 09:41 AM
As a fan of the team, I've become a fan of the players, and I wouldn't abandon them in a move. Of course, as an out-of-towner that seems like an easy decision to make, but I really would be devastated if they left Indiana.

BlueNGold
03-14-2009, 09:43 AM
I would be finished with NBA basketball. There are too many other things to do in this world. I would probably follow the NFL or college ball more closely.

BlueNGold
03-14-2009, 10:02 AM
If the Pacers ever leave town, I'd make it a point to never watch an NBA game again...... seriously.

I think I would probably do the same actually. I was a huge Reds fan as a child, listened to every game on WLW for years...and when the MLB strike cancelled the 1994 world series (when the Reds were in 1st place)...it drove me away from the game of baseball and I've never been back. I have not looked at a MLB boxscore in 15 years now.

I believe that the Pacers moving from Indiana would result in the same thing. I think the NBA, its owners, and its players need to grow up and make some financial concessions. Fans pay the bills and they should not be mistreated like this. If that's just the way it works, I have no interest in being a fan.

Yes, Stern needs to do something about it and stop spouting off about making the NBA an international sport. It is called the National Basketball Association isn't it? I honestly think the direction of the league is out of small market venues and into the international market. Think Hong Kong Pacers, not Vegas Pacers.

Anyway, there are a lot of things to do these days with your time and entertainment dollars. If you want to support an NBA franchise after it moves, that's your choice. I will not be there for the ride...

clownskull
03-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Nobody. If the Pacers left town, my interest in NBA basketball would leave with them.

yep, me too. i said the same thing in another thread. if they leave- i leave following the league. at least the hoosiers can't pull out of town if things are not working as good as they want.

Bball
03-14-2009, 06:59 PM
If the Pacers moved that would be the final straw with the NBA for me. No Indiana Pacers... no NBA as far as I am concerned.

The NBA has become too much WWF versus pure basketball for me as it is. I don't like 'star no calls' and 'rookie calls'. I don't like guaranteed contracts (at least how they are currently utilized in the NBA). Absolutely multi-year guaranteed contracts need abolished ASAP. I think Stern has worn out his welcome and the NBA is in dire need of new leadership with a vision towards making the games more about team basketball first and foremost and not star marketing. I don't like rampant team relocations and it sure seems to be encouraged a little too much by the front office of the NBA.

I don't like so many player moves based more on salary dumps and cap flexibility than two teams trying to improve their team via the actual pieces in the trade.

Ticket prices (current Pacer trends not withstanding) are not tied to creating and cultivating fanbases thru thick and thin. Parking... concessions... etc... all conspire to make games too pricey.

Players make way too much for absolutely no financial risk on their part. Especially, when those salaries have taxpayer funds propping up the business and ticket prices that aren't sustainable outside of .750 winning percentages and deep playoff runs.

No Indiana Pacers... no NBA.

Like Travmil, I'd be fine with then watching the NBA go out of business. I'd only hope a better ran league could spring up in its place.

MrSparko
03-14-2009, 08:09 PM
I agree about the contracts and what not.

It's not like the star thing is a new invention though. I mean there was a sign way back when that read George Mikan vs the Knicks. I wouldn't blame Stern for that.

aero
03-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Pacers for life. simple as that.

JonnyB83
03-14-2009, 09:27 PM
I have a pacers tattoo. so if they moved and didnt leave the name records etc. for a new pacers, i dont think i'd have a choice.

PacersRule
03-14-2009, 09:42 PM
I have a pacers tattoo. so if they moved and left the name records etc. for a new pacers, i dont think i'd have a choice.

Nice tattoo!!

Isaac
03-14-2009, 09:49 PM
I have a pacers tattoo. so if they moved and left the name records etc. for a new pacers, i dont think i'd have a choice.

I have one also, quite a large one on my forearm for all to see. If the Pacers moved my tattoo would represent the team I grew up watching and putting all my heart in to rooting for. I wouldn't have a current favorite team to me, my passion for an NBA team would be a thing of the past. I hate all this type of talk anyways, I refuse to believe that its an actual possibility.

PacersRule
03-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Probably the Heat, but not enough for me to buy their accessories. The NBA just wouldn't be the same without the "Indiana" Pacers from my perspective. They always broadcast games on TNT and ESPN on Thursdays and Fridays, but frankly, I've seen no more than five this season so far.

Basketball Fan
03-15-2009, 12:24 AM
I agree about the contracts and what not.

It's not like the star thing is a new invention though. I mean there was a sign way back when that read George Mikan vs the Knicks. I wouldn't blame Stern for that.

Not the same back then George Mikan didn't make nearly half the money the NBA players of today make and he pretty much revolutionized the game so him getting top billing made sense back then. However there were no Mikan shoes, products etc. However you always knew he was a Laker and part of those Lakers teams.

Now all these NBA players are mini corporations all on their own. Stern seems to focus on them and forget the teams involved and the rivalries they used to have.

YoSoyIndy
03-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I have a pacers tattoo. so if they moved and didnt leave the name records etc. for a new pacers, i dont think i'd have a choice.

When did you get that tattoo?

plutarch
03-16-2009, 12:12 AM
i wouldnt root for the pacers because i would be too pissed if they moved

Brad8888
03-16-2009, 09:28 AM
I would just watch a few games now and then of whatever team / matchup / players happen to catch my attention at the time. If none do, oh well. I just wouldn't have the same emotional attachment for an individual franchise that I have for the Pacers.

Pacerized
03-16-2009, 10:11 AM
I haven't lived in Indiana since 1991 so I'm used to being a Pacers fan from long distance.
It's nice to know there's a home, and nice to know the Pacers are there. I think I would still follow the team for a while if they left, but it would depend on if the City kept the rights to the name or not, if I would be a long term fan of the existing team, follow the new Pacers eventually, or possibly become a Nuggets fan. I hope they never leave, and I don't think the Simons are trying to make it so.

Unclebuck
03-16-2009, 10:20 AM
I'd be just as big a fan, although I wouldn't be able to go to as many games

ChicagoJ
03-16-2009, 02:06 PM
If the Pacers moved that would be the final straw with the NBA for me. No Indiana Pacers... no NBA as far as I am concerned.

The NBA has become too much WWF versus pure basketball for me as it is. I don't like 'star no calls' and 'rookie calls'. I don't like guaranteed contracts (at least how they are currently utilized in the NBA). Absolutely multi-year guaranteed contracts need abolished ASAP. I think Stern has worn out his welcome and the NBA is in dire need of new leadership with a vision towards making the games more about team basketball first and foremost and not star marketing. I don't like rampant team relocations and it sure seems to be encouraged a little too much by the front office of the NBA.

I don't like so many player moves based more on salary dumps and cap flexibility than two teams trying to improve their team via the actual pieces in the trade.

I generally agree with this. Although I could be persuaded to watch a team like the Spurs, I would not do so with passion or loyalty.

I used to bleed blue-and-gold, but that's a bit tarnished now.

I can find a D-III team down the street to support.

Unclebuck
03-16-2009, 02:45 PM
I think the more interesting question for those that live in Indianapolis is what if the pacers left and a new team eventually was brought in. What would you do then???? I'm not sure what I would do

count55
03-16-2009, 02:47 PM
I think the more interesting question for those that live in Indianapolis is what if the pacers left and a new team eventually was brought in. What would you do then???? I'm not sure what I would do

I wouldn't worry about that.

The NBA would be done in Indianapolis.

Unclebuck
03-16-2009, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't worry about that.

The NBA would be done in Indianapolis.

Certainly looks that way now, but name the last NBA city where a team moved out and another one didn't eventually move in. (certainly Seattle is that way now, but we'll see) Do we have to go back to San Diego, Buffalo? Baltimore. it has been awhile - or am I missing one

Mourning
03-16-2009, 03:26 PM
IF the Pacers would move then I would have a problem really following them. My interested in the NBA as a whole would take a pretty big hit, even though I'm not from Indiana or the United States or have a direct connection to Indiana myself. Difficult to explain I guess.

IF a new team would come to Indiana after the Pacers left there would be a pretty good chance I would start follow that franchise from that point on and I would very, very likely stop following the Pacers, wherever they went, all together.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

count55
03-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Certainly looks that way now, but name the last NBA city where a team moved out and another one didn't eventually move in. (certainly Seattle is that way now, but we'll see) Do we have to go back to San Diego, Buffalo? Baltimore. it has been awhile - or am I missing one

Kansas City would be the last.

Charlotte is the only one that I can think of that backfilled, but that was a screwy situation given the fact that whatshisname was such a scumbag.

Unclebuck
03-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Kansas City would be the last.

Charlotte is the only one that I can think of that backfilled, but that was a screwy situation given the fact that whatshisname was such a scumbag.

I forgot about K.C - how could I forget, as our own LaSalle Thompson was a proud member

chrisjacobs7
03-16-2009, 04:23 PM
If the Pacers ever left Indy I would turn my back on the team and stop watching the NBA alltogether. If another team were to come into Indy, I'd be a fan of the team but it would never be the same.

Twes
03-16-2009, 04:29 PM
What would the locals on this board do with all of that cash that would be back in their lives.

Thousands of dollars every year.

Well hell... we could all get new tractors.

kellogg
03-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Probably would casually follow the closest team (or San Antonio, where I used to live), but again it would never be the same for me.

Probably would warm up to the new team about as much as old Baltimore Colts warm up to the Indy Colts.

Chewy
03-16-2009, 07:01 PM

Vancouver?