PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Williams cut by Golden State

maragin
03-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Posting this, as Williams was a hot topic during our PG search last year.

----------

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3967710

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Golden State Warriors (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=gsw) released seldom-used guard Marcus Williams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3039) on Tuesday.
Williams played in nine games with the Warriors, averaging 1.3 points and 1.4 assists after Golden State acquired him in a summer trade with New Jersey.
The club hoped he would win their starting point guard job, but the former first-round pick never gained the favor of coach Don Nelson.
Williams hadn't played in a game since Jan. 25.

Hicks
03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Remember before it was all "We could have had Rondo!" when it was often "We picked the wrong Williams!" ?

Anthem
03-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Remember before it was all "We could have had Rondo!" when it was often "We picked the wrong Williams!" ?

Not very often. Most of us didn't want the Pacers rolling the dice on a kid who stole laptops.

Doddage
03-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Looks like the Warriors just wasted a first-round pick. Good for New Jersey to get some value out of him before it was too late.

Naptown_Seth
03-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Not very often. Most of us didn't want the Pacers rolling the dice on a kid who stole laptops.
It was more than nothing, there was definitely some griping out there, maybe almost as much as the Bayless/Rush thing at times.

And remember when the Pacers blew it by not tanking down to 10th so they could draft Acie Law to solve their PG problems.

Boy, there's been some crap fan demands for PG solutions the last 4-5 years. I guess Tinsley can do that to a fanbase.

Golden State, where potential Pacers PG saviors go to die. At least 2 of them so far.

Coop
03-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Seth is right. There was definitely a lot of demand for Williams. At the same time though, a lot of us saw Tinsley v.2 in him. I think a lot of people just got caught up in the potential and didn't really sit back and analyze what was going on with Marcus. He had gotten in trouble before and had a lot of questions about his work ethic. I'm glad that Larry and Donnie didn't fall for the potential card like a lot of PD posters did.

Hopefully, Jack can keep improving and can turn into a starting PG for us. After all, he's still only 25. That would allow us to finally focus on other aspects of the team that need to be addressed.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. I have a hard time believing a team will offer MW much to play for them. With the state of the economy coupled with Marcus' inability to get playing time for a mediocre team, and his reported poor attitude, I don't see many people willing to pony up the money to sign him.

d_c
03-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Looks like the Warriors just wasted a first-round pick. Good for New Jersey to get some value out of him before it was too late.

The pick is heavily protected and if the Warriors never make the playoffs in the near future, the pick doesn't get conveyed. For NJ to get the pick, they need to hope the pick falls somewhere between 12-14 (or lower) about 2-3 years from now.

Pacersfan46
03-12-2009, 01:32 AM
I was one who wanted Marcus more than Shawne on draft day that year.

Either way, it apparently didn't matter which Williams it was. You weren't going to get much out of either of them.

-- Steve --

Anthem
03-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Maybe my memory's faulty, but I thought MW's biggest booster was DK.

Do I have that wrong?

BillS
03-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Golden State, where potential Pacers PG saviors go to die. At least 2 of them so far.

:signit: