PDA

View Full Version : 3pt Makes countdown

Naptown_Seth
03-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Well you always have to preface this with Reggie having 2 seasons on the list from the shorter arc years (229 and 195), but he leads the list in makes from the true deep arc with 180 (01-02).

Danny jumped to 2nd on the list (barring short arc years) with his 171 last year and was on pace to blast past that till his injury.

With 16 games left if Danny can return to his pace instantly (not likely) he could still get to 180, tying him for Reggie for makes from true deep in a season.

Meanwhile Troy is right behind and on pace himself to get to 173, making him the new 2nd place guy unless Danny can hold him off. Troy has been much hotter lately and if he goes 5 makes a night the rest of the way he would crush all but Reggie's best short year. Again, not likely, but the guy has had several first halves with 3-4 or more makes so it's not completely nuts either. He's averaging 4.2 makes in March and averaged 2.3 last month (of course Danny's absence may be a big factor there). 3 a night gets him to 185, the new top Pacer from true long range ever and without sacrificing PCT for quantity (nearly 45% right now).

As a reminder, Dun finished with 165 bombs last year on a 42.5 rate. All 3 drop the hammer effectively in this system, that's for sure.

duke dynamite
03-11-2009, 04:24 PM
So the race is on...

Coop
03-11-2009, 09:31 PM
I wonder what kind of 3pt numbers Reggie would have put up in JOB's system. I don't remember a whole lot of his career other than the later years with Artest and JO, but it seems like he probably would have gotten to 200 pretty consistently.

Naptown_Seth
03-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Maybe, but it's so hard to say. The Pacers called Reggie's number quite a bit running out of a half court. He had the 3 all over the place, but that 3 fading off the curl from a double baseline screen was his money shot and he'd NEVER EVER see that in this system. They don't typically put two bigs down along the baseline like that and don't run long developing plays either. Lots of mini-plays sometimes get strung together which can look nice, but that traditional stuff isn't very common.

But Reggie was the king of the breakaway 3. The dude could run to the corner on a 2 on none fastbreak and people wouldn't complain. :D

MyFavMartin
03-11-2009, 10:46 PM
It's the system.

Pacersfan46
03-12-2009, 02:39 AM
I think Reggie's numbers would remain unchanged in the system other than maybe a couple more shots per game caused by the pace of the game. Reggie always seemed content to score when it was needed, or when asked. He never seemed preoccupied with being an elite scorer in the NBA regular season.

However in the playoffs he wanted, and demanded the ball. Nobody ever argued ... wonder why?

-- Steve --

NuffSaid
03-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I think Reggie would have thrived in JOB's system for one reason and one reason only - his ability to adapt!

It didn't matter if he was coming off screens, curls, fastbreaks or was the trailor. Reggie always found a way to score the deep ball. He was very good at it in part due to his work ethic, but also because he played for at least 3 different coaches - Larry Brown, Larry Bird, Rick Carlisle - all of whom did more to incorporate this prolific long-range shooter into their offense than to exclude him.

I think under JOB, Reggie Miller would have been more clutch and we'd have seen alot more game winning shots in these close 3-6 pt nail bitters.