PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How we spend our money

Putnam
03-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Recently there has been a lot of discussion about the Capital Improvements Board, the Pacers' bottom line, future changes to the collective bargaining agreement and other related topics.

I wonder if the NBA isn't going to need to adjust its balance between television and on-line access versus game attendance. I imagine one of the main reasons fans don't attend games is that League Pass and cable access is just to appealing. The league has driven its own fans away from the games.

The television is very profitable and may rightly be the leagues priority. But the league may have to rethink the balance between the two. But I'm just guessing.

This poll is about the simple question: During this NBA season, will you spend more of your own money on NBA game tickets or on TV viewing of NBA games. the latter choice would include viewing on computer as well as cable TV.

EDIT: It should be understood that some folks spend a whole lot more than others. This isn't a contest of who spends the most, but just a "follow the money" exercise.

duke dynamite
03-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Home games I attend, away games...TV.

Bball
03-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Putnam,
I think television (and other) exposure should help a team create a fanbase. The problem is the good seats, the seats that really get you into the action and feel of a game, are not exactly affordable for Joe Sixpack and his family. Especially, when you factor in fuel, parking, and concessions...

The balcony seats aren't bad but if you're sitting up there by yourself it isn't exactly creating an electric atmosphere that hooks you and brings you back.

Take away TV and you IMHO will lose much of the casual interest in the team that you ultimately need.

Of course none of what I said exactly jives with the NFL television model but then the NFL only plays 8 home games. So at worst, your local NFL team is on TV half the season for you... and that half season is only 8 games.

Also, each individual game in the NFL season generally means something to at least one of the teams whereas the NBA plays so many games that it's hard to argue the importance of any one game.

Of course I'm all for shortening the NBA season anyway.

ReginaldWayne
03-10-2009, 04:15 PM
But if you live in the home city, you get the majority of the games on tv anyway. LP will give all the other games, you cant go to anyway.

I live in south florida, so I have LP mainly so I can watch all the pacers game, though I watch a lot of the other aswell. If I lived in Indiana, and got the games on cable/satellite, I wouldnt of gotten LP.

Quis
03-10-2009, 04:23 PM
I do all of my NBA following via the Internet, so $0.

switch
03-10-2009, 04:25 PM
League Pass

I went to the Utah game last year and I remember more about how much I hated the circus acts during timeouts and between halfs than I do about the actual game being played. With League Pass I can watch the Pacers and every other team play for less than $200 for a full season.

My suggestion for the NBA to create more revenue from the tv/internet market is to increase the price of the current league pass, but also offer season subscriptions to each individual team for around $100. Then they could share the profit with each franchise.

Putnam
03-10-2009, 04:26 PM
The problem is the good seats, the seats that really get you into the action and feel of a game, are not exactly affordable for Joe Sixpack and his family. Especially, when you factor in fuel, parking, and concessions...

The balcony seats aren't bad but if you're sitting up there by yourself it isn't exactly creating an electric atmosphere that hooks you and brings you back.

Exactly. The game experience doesn't compete with the stay-at-home viewing for some (many?) serious fans.

But if you live in the home city, you get the majority of the games on tv anyway.

Not in Indy.

BillS
03-10-2009, 04:34 PM
But if you live in the home city, you get the majority of the games on tv anyway.

Not in Indy.

Actually, there are very few cities now where there is a local independent station broadcasting games over the air. Most cities smaller than LA, Chicago, and New York have gone to all- cable (usually the local Fox Sports) for their games.

dohman
03-10-2009, 06:34 PM
League Pass. But then again I only watch the pacers and I live in Dallas.

MyFavMartin
03-10-2009, 06:51 PM
League Pass

I went to the Utah game last year and I remember more about how much I hated the circus acts during timeouts and between halfs than I do about the actual game being played. With League Pass I can watch the Pacers and every other team play for less than $200 for a full season.

My suggestion for the NBA to create more revenue from the tv/internet market is to increase the price of the current league pass, but also offer season subscriptions to each individual team for around $100. Then they could share the profit with each franchise.

The league could stop blocking the free online broadcasts or get more money from the cable company and negotiate a larger amount going to the teams.

Like that tickets at games are more reasonable, but I'm in DC and no one is going to Wizard games.

:tumbleweed:

Maybe instead of $8 beers, they can raise the price to $1,000,000?