PDA

View Full Version : PSE Financial Situation - where do the Fever fit in?

RamBo_Lamar
03-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Haven't seen this discussed before, so thought I would ask for some opinions
on how much of an effect supporting the Fever has had, either positive or
negative, on Pacers Sports & Entertainment's current financial woes?

Are they so insignificant they don't make that much of a difference either
way?

It just seems to me that PSE could book events during the Pacers offseason
that would fill lots more seats in the Fieldhouse than the Fever.

Should the Fever be folded if they are adding to the current financial drain?

Please discuss.

BRushWithDeath
03-10-2009, 10:06 AM
David Stern should do the responsible thing and disband the entire league.

2minutes twowa
03-10-2009, 10:20 AM
The NBA needs to look at the the NFL's profit sharing model to save their small market franchises.

count55
03-10-2009, 10:32 AM
It's difficult to say what impact they have. You have to realize that Stephen Graham is paid more than the entire Fever roster combined, if I'm reading the below link correctly.

http://womensbasketballonline.com/wnba/rosters/salary.html

I would guess that it's possible that they are losing money, but it's probably immaterial in the grand scheme of things.

El Pacero
03-10-2009, 10:43 AM
I think the big issue is how much money they are potentially losing from not being able to book concerts and events because of the Fever schedule. (as rambo alluded) It could be a lot of money, but only PSE can estimate that.

Putnam
03-10-2009, 10:53 AM
The Pacers' fixed costs and the CIB's issues are a lot larger than the Fever are affecting. But the best decision could go either way, depending on the average variable costs.

What are the costs of turning on the lights and staffing up Conseco Fieldhouse for a Fever game? What is the average revenue from a Fever game?

If the Fever games cover the cost of operating the Fieldhouse for that day, then PS&E might as well keep the Fever going. But if the Fever games cost more than they bring in then eventually they (and the whole WNBA) must consider shutting down.

Incidentally, this goes for any events at the Fieldhouse. A few people have said there should be more events at the fieldhouse through the summer. That is reasonable, but it will help only if the events turn a profit. Are there really that many better uses of the fieldhouse?