PDA

View Full Version : New Murphy blog is up ..

Kemo
03-09-2009, 08:11 PM
http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5800021885

The plane truth about road trips
Mar 9, 2009

I've been wondering what to write about for my next entry. As I write this I'm on the plane heading out to Sacramento for the beginning of our three-game West Coast trip. Sitting here I look around and realize the amount of time that we spend on planes during the season.

We have a charter plane which is extremely comfortable. The whole first section is made up of 12 first-class seats that recline all the way back so you can really stretch out. Also in the first section is a table with four big chairs connected to it. The middle section has two tables and about four chairs that are basically set up the same way. The back section is set up with 10 rows of normal seats.

The players sit in the front with the coaches in the middle and our training staff and people involved with the media in the back section. We have three flight attendants and two pilots along with John Gray, our director of security, to make sure everyone is on their best behavior.

I go to look out the window and there is a foot draped over my seat by the person behind me. I turn the other way and notice another foot about 3 inches from my ear. This is not a normal foot, mind you, it's about the size of a roll of paper towels. I turn around and see Roy with his feet on my chair and one of those neck pillows that is the shape of an inflated horseshoe around his neck. On his head is a Phillies cap that is 2 seconds away from falling off.

He's sitting next to Travis, which I find very interesting. You have to watch Travis because he can be very tricky on flights. Roy has an expensive bag he uses as a carry-on and on our last flight from Boston, Travis thought it would be a good idea to hide a meatball in it.

Now, this was not a meatball in tin foil or anything but a meatball with pasta sauce and parmesan cheese on it. Roy was not amused, to say the least. He looked like he was going to stuff Trav in an overhead compartment for the flight.

This was not this first time Travis has struck (and, unfortunately, probably not the last).

Earlier in the season he got Jeff with a related prank. I can't remember exactly what kind of food he doctored up that Jeff was going to eat but he got him pretty good. The retaliation was even better. One plane ride the flight attendant served fish (needless to say most of us passed on that one) but Jeff got a platter to go.

He got out to Travis' car and put the fish under his back seat. It was so cold out that Travis had no idea that the fish was there until the next day. His car smelled like the kitchen of Bonefish Grill. Since then they have called a truce.

At the table next to me, some of the guys are playing a friendly game of cards. Danny is a couple rows behind me singing. It's not quite at the top of his lungs but it's close. The songs he sings are the type of songs you listen to late at night with your lady -- which is unexpected in this atmosphere.

The funny thing is that he's really not that bad. I should have added him as a good thing for men to do for Valentine's Day: hire Danny Granger to sing to you and your valentine.

T.J. is across the aisle and a couple rows back. What is amazing about him is he has every movie you could possibly want to watch -- Slumdog Millionaire, The Wrestler, even old favorites like Wild Things.

He has the most current one which make the flights go by very smoothly. The rest of the guys sleep, which is a talent I wish I possessed because when we hit turbulence these guys are out cold and I'm ready to put the pilot in a headlock.

I'm still waiting for my favorite part of the ride, the cookies. A little more than halfway through, the flight attendants make chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies. Now these cookies are either cooked to perfection and the best things you could eat or they are the texture of pudding and fall apart in your lap and stain up your clothes. It makes no difference if the flight is long or short, you can find both kinds.

Before each flight I go up and ask the pilot how the flight is going to be, either smooth or bumpy, and I've found that no matter what they say the flight is nothing like they say.

Here are a few of my favorites:

# "Light chop:" we are going to have a few intermittent bumps but nothing to really worry about.
# "Uneven pockets of air:" the flight is going to be smooth the all of a sudden all hell is going to break loose.
# "Smooth:" Supposed to be no bumps but it's probably my definition of a light chop.
# "Consistent chop:" good night nurse, you'd better pack a lunch with this one (only about three or four a year are like this).

So that's pretty much our plane. We supposedly are an hour and 45 minutes away from Sacramento and the cookies have been delivered and I'm going to need to have some dry cleaning done tonight.

duke dynamite
03-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I read this earlier. I like chewy cookies.

Kuq_e_Zi91
03-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Oh man, that's good. Had me laughing through multiple parts. I love this team and the characters on it!

Keep 'em coming Murph.

rexnom
03-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Fantastic. I hope they let him bring a camera on a plane at some point.

pacerfreak
03-09-2009, 09:14 PM
i like me some humor like that.:laugh:

'freak...out

jhondog28
03-09-2009, 09:17 PM
This guy cracks me up. Seriously I hope we keep him just so we can have the pleasure of reading his blogs constantly.

Anthem
03-09-2009, 09:45 PM
TJ makes 8 million dollars a year and pirates movies. That's hilarious.

rexnom
03-09-2009, 10:16 PM
TJ makes 8 million dollars a year and pirates movies. That's hilarious.
I was definitely wondering about that. So we're settled on pirating? It's not like he gets advanced screeners or something?

travmil
03-09-2009, 11:08 PM
I was definitely wondering about that. So we're settled on pirating? It's not like he gets advanced screeners or something?

Yeah I wouldn't say it was definitely pirating. I had a high school teacher who had connections at Warner Bros. We were always watching advanced screeners while they were still at the theaters on Fridays. All you gotta know is one guy.

El Pacero
03-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Yeah I wouldn't say it was definitely pirating. I had a high school teacher who had connections at Warner Bros. We were always watching advanced screeners while they were still at the theaters on Fridays. All you gotta know is one guy.

I met TJ at Bob's Cellphone Express, or something like that in Westfield. Unfortunate incident that maybe I'll someday have the guts to share. Anyway, I mentioned PD and he had never heard of it, and asked me to type it in to the computer he was on at the cell phone place. He was sitting right there looking at espn.com, so I got the impression he wasn't very good with computers or something if he wanted me to type in pacersdigest. He scrolled through PD which was pretty quiet during preseason, and said "I don't get much into blogs."

If they are pirated, my guress is he has his smart computer friend dropping them off, and maybe he gives him a little cash to help with rent or something. That's just my imagination at work.

Troy is hilarious.

Kemo
03-10-2009, 12:34 AM
I don't necessarily fault him for it.. LOL We are all human ..

I mean heck..over at the Daleville outlet mall.. I went in there once and a guy had a booth set up selling , not only bootleg movies , but bootleg playstation 1-3, xbox 1-2 games and pc games .. RIGHT OUT IN THE OPEN, without a care in the world... Matter of fact I have seen policemen there buying movies before on more than 1 occasion lol .. I don't think someone would necessarily be "busted" having a personaly copy , I think the law is more oriented in going after those who make it available to others and making profit from selling it ..
Which is why I am baffled to this day , that that guy at the Daleville outlet mall was getting away with it .. CRAZY..

But aside from physical dvd's of movies (that are still in theatres) , if T.J. had a laptop with wi-fi , all he would have to do is go to one of the many streaming movie websites..

Thing is those websites are perfectly legal, since they are basically link-sites and nothing copywritten is stored on servers by them..

So ya , you could legally stream movies at any time of about anything you can think of new and old on your computer , without having to physically download or make a hard copy of anything, thus breaking your isp's user agreement or more importantly the law ...lol

But ya it "would" be funny that a guy making millions of dollars , having a bunch of bootleg movies .. haha ...

But ya , as someone else said, it is entirely possible he gets advanced screeners... Being an NBA player, I'd imagine it would be real easy for him to get inside connections ...

BRushWithDeath
03-10-2009, 12:46 AM
The movies are definitely pirated. No doubt.

And if I know anything about the NBA, "friendly game of cards" is code for heated gambling.

El Pacero
03-10-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm probably partly at fault, but let's not disect this blog post so much that it makes Murph feel like he can't be his goofy self! We need this funny inside stuff to keep coming . . .

travmil
03-10-2009, 01:18 AM
The movies are definitely pirated. No doubt.

And if I know anything about the NBA, "friendly game of cards" is code for heated gambling.

Would you please add something like "In my opinion" to your statements. You don't know about TJ's movies any more than I know what you had for supper. There are many ways (especially if you're famous) to legally obtain copies of movies that are still in theaters. To say you have "no doubt" that TJ is pirating movies is a bit much.

In my opinion, you are probably right about the cards.

imawhat
03-10-2009, 01:38 AM
Great blog by Troy.

He's a darn good writer. I think he has a potential post-NBA career if tanning doesn't work out.

skyfire
03-10-2009, 05:36 AM
I wonder how NBA players always seems to be able to "access" their teammates cars when they want to pull a prank on them. The one where a vet filled a rookie's car up with popcorn made me laugh.

BRushWithDeath
03-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Would you please add something like "In my opinion" to your statements. You don't know about TJ's movies any more than I know what you had for supper. There are many ways (especially if you're famous) to legally obtain copies of movies that are still in theaters. To say you have "no doubt" that TJ is pirating movies is a bit much.

In my opinion, you are probably right about the cards.

No I won't. And I had chili. You knew that.

flox
03-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Haha please you don't know what's really going on with any of these players.

Since86
03-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I wonder how NBA players always seems to be able to "access" their teammates cars when they want to pull a prank on them. The one where a vet filled a rookie's car up with popcorn made me laugh.
I would bet that the players leave their keys with some type of a parking service at the airport they leave from. I imagine they're cars are on and warmed up before the plane ever touches the ground.

Rooks always get bad treatment, i.e. carrying other players lugage off the plane and such, so they would just make them do a few extra chores while they filled up the car.

IMO that is.:)

Dr. Hibbert
03-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Never was a Murph fan before this year, but he's really shown a lot both as a player and teammate this season.

tde3000
03-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Never was a Murph fan before this year, but he's really shown a lot both as a player and teammate this season.

same here.

Anthem
03-10-2009, 05:08 PM
I've always liked him as a person, I've just never liked the idea of big men camped beyond the 3-point line. Part of that is the negative experience with Austin.

But Troy is the player that Austin should have been. Austin never spent the kind of energy on rebounding that Troy does, and that wins him points in my book. I don't believe in "tough rebounds" vs "easy rebounds." If you get a rebound, you get a rebound. And Troy gets a lot of rebounds.

Do I wish his man and help D was a little better? Sure. Would I love it if he blocked 2 a game? Absolutely. But the dude is playing ball at a very high level, even if it's not the type of ball that I usually expect from a power forward. At the beginning of the season I was calling for him to come off the bench behind Foster, but Troy's made me look like an idiot for even considering that. He's clearly our best big man right now.

I don't know how you can look at what he's doing and not appreciate him. And that's coming from a guy who would have given him away for free before the season began.

travmil
03-10-2009, 05:11 PM
No I won't. And I had chili. You knew that.

Well in my opinion, your ASSumption that TJ is pirating movies makes you appear arrogant and foolish. It might make it appear that way to everyone else too. But if that doesn't bother you, then by all means keep on keepin' on...

Naptown_Seth
03-11-2009, 12:06 AM
I've always liked him as a person, I've just never liked the idea of big men camped beyond the 3-point line. Part of that is the negative experience with Austin.

But Troy is the player that Austin should have been. Austin never spent the kind of energy on rebounding that Troy does, and that wins him points in my book. I don't believe in "tough rebounds" vs "easy rebounds." If you get a rebound, you get a rebound. And Troy gets a lot of rebounds.
Obviously I do, but I still like him as a person. He's the one that took out the full page add about being happy to be here after the trade.

I'm not mad at him for getting whatever rebounds he gets, as long as FANS and the team keep it in proper perspective. Forget tough vs easy, how about just getting a few offensive boards or keeping the opponent off an offensive board late in a close game. That's something you count rather than being opinion and the totals aren't as much in his favor as his raw rebounding numbers are.

But forget that. He's shooting like a beast, he's hustling his butt off, and he and Quis are both playing their best ball yet. Troy's not even in a contract year or anything.

And he's putting up blogs like this which is really cool. Talk about selling the team, this is how you do it.

As for TJ's movies, the dude was sporting the Wrestler and Slumdog, so no matter how he got them (and those are probably awards screeners given which films they are) it's cool that he's going for award winning stuff instead of sugar coated fluff crap.

Even Wild Things is a great caper-thriller even if it's popular for the nudity.

Thinking TJ has great taste in film makes me like him a lot more.

rexnom
03-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Well...Murphy is the one who fondly recollects that Wild Things is an "old favorite." I wonder why. :laugh:

El Pacero
03-11-2009, 12:25 AM
During pregame on WIBC, Conrad praised Murph for writing one of the best and insightful blogs in the NBA with his current post. He also admitted that Murph wrote the entire post on his Blackberrey on the airplane. Which considering his big fingers and I assume lack of spell check, makes it even that much better of a post.

BRushWithDeath
03-11-2009, 10:50 AM
During pregame on WIBC, Conrad praised Murph for writing one of the best and insightful blogs in the NBA with his current post. He also admitted that Murph wrote the entire post on his Blackberrey on the airplane. Which considering his big fingers and I assume lack of spell check, makes it even that much better of a post.

Blackberry's have spell check. But I don't have the patience that he apparently does to type an e-mail of that length.

BRushWithDeath
03-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Well in my opinion, your ASSumption that TJ is pirating movies makes you appear arrogant and foolish. It might make it appear that way to everyone else too. But if that doesn't bother you, then by all means keep on keepin' on...

It doesn't bother me. And it can't make me appear foolish because I'm not wrong. If I'm ever wrong feel free to call me foolish.

And I couldn't care less about appearing arrogant. I am arrogant. But only because I'm awesome.

duke dynamite
03-11-2009, 10:59 AM
It doesn't bother me. And it can't make me appear foolish because I'm not wrong. If I'm ever wrong feel free to call me foolish.

And I couldn't care less about appearing arrogant. I am arrogant. But only because I'm awesome.
No, I'm awesome.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G0S6uZ0Tme8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G0S6uZ0Tme8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kid Minneapolis
03-11-2009, 04:23 PM

I hear ya, brother. You're 22, and by that age, you've figured out EVERYthing. It's not arrogance, it's confidence. If you're awesome, then you can just be yourself, being right most of the time and everyone else can deal with it if they don't like it. I know. I've been there. It's fun being 22, knowing everything, and making sure everyone else knows that you know everything, especially if they just realize that they are most likely wrong in light of our 22 years of awesomeness. I mean, we're 22! And by all means, we're ahead of that curve even, in terms of worldly awesomeness! I mean, I was 22, but more like 35, you know?

At 22, you know so much more than when you're 16, or some noobie age like that.