PDA

View Full Version : Thought i'd point this out.

JB24
03-08-2009, 04:38 PM
PD and a poster called wetbob got a mention in the latest (and slightly dated) issue of dime magazine. Here's the post:

“What really bothers me is [Granger] doesn’t seem all that tough. People will point to the Celtics’ game and the broken teeth issue and what not. But does that really make him tough? Sure he plays hard, its great seeing the best player on your team diving on the fl oor for loose balls late in a blowout game, but to me that was one instance. More an anomaly then the rule. At Memphis, he leaves the game with what is called a concussion and doesn’t return. Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems to me that a ‘concussion’ that mild is nothing more then a headache. If he was tough, would he have ever left the fl oor at all? Against the Knicks he takes a knock and acts like someone shot him in the leg. Now, credit should be given where credit is due, and he fi nished the game, shot the free throws and hung in there. But, Danny is our best player!! He’s our leader. He needs to lead by example. Suck it up, don’t show weakness. Lead the team.”

I know the writer's trying to make a point, but does anyone else think this is just shoddy journalism? You can download the issue here (http://dimemagazine.epubxpress.com/wps/portal/dime/c1/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3iLkCAPEzcPIwN_UxNTA6 MwUw8zP-cQY3dLM6B8JE55AyMDArrDQfbh1w-SN8ABHA30_Tzyc1P1C3IjDLJMHBUBq_7_lg!!/dl2/d1/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnB3LzZfOFRSSDRGSDIwTzU0NTAyVjVINk 5DVDNHOTY!/)

Sorry if this has already been brought up.

Slick Pinkham
03-08-2009, 04:48 PM
almost by definition, dime magazine is shoddy journalism.

By their standards it's more coherent than usual but still falls deep into the "unreadable" category.

It's beyond crazy to judge what an athlete ought to do when apparently qualified doctors have determined that he has suffered a concussion. morons!

Lord Helmet
03-08-2009, 04:53 PM
almost by definition, dime magazine is shoddy journalism.

By their standards it's more coherent than usual but still falls deep into the "unreadable" category.

It's beyond crazy to judge what an athlete ought to do when apparently qualified doctors have determined that he has suffered a concussion. morons!
Exactly. That argument is complete stupidity.

Hmm, he's not tough, because he and the team were concerned over HIS WELL-BEING and possibility of BRAIN-DAMAGE.

Just seems like some people don't like Danny, and that is fine, but find legit reasons to knock the guy. Christ.

JB24
03-08-2009, 05:01 PM
heh, my bad guys, i think i should have elaborated a bit more. The writer was trying to emphasize the adversity that Danny's gone through his entire career ( i guess). They were running a profile on Danny so they're not looking to criticize him.

My point about shoddy journalism is that they lifted a post from a message board and used it to stress their point. That's just really poor writing imo.

ThA HoyA
03-08-2009, 05:41 PM
and also playing hurt like he has been isnt tough :rolleyes:

Dr. Hibbert
03-08-2009, 06:03 PM
LOL your standards as a publication have to be incredibly low in order to justify lifting something from a message board. On the figurative totem pole of sources, that has to be at the very bottom. What a joke of a magazine.

Anthem
03-08-2009, 06:26 PM
LOL your standards as a publication have to be incredibly low in order to justify lifting something from a message board. On the figurative totem pole of sources, that has to be at the very bottom. What a joke of a magazine.
Heh. Especially when he was rebuffed pretty well for that particular post. "A concussion is basically a headache" should become a classic PD line, up there with "parts of my foot" and "That's how I live my life now." Not one of his finer moments.

EDIT: Ah, here it is:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=43640

I wish we could modify the software for the board so if more than a certain percentage of the board had somebody ignored, then random visitors without logins wouldn't see posts by that person.

able
03-08-2009, 07:41 PM
heh, my bad guys, i think i should have elaborated a bit more. The writer was trying to emphasize the adversity that Danny's gone through his entire career ( i guess). They were running a profile on Danny so they're not looking to criticize him.

My point about shoddy journalism is that they lifted a post from a message board and used it to stress their point. That's just really poor writing imo.
Like we pull quotes or articles from them and others, they can do the same and frankly it's not that bad to be mentioned in magazines like that, seems PD has indeed a reputation of being THE Pacers board :)

and they nicely linked to the board as well, the only problem is the post they quoted, but oh well

BlueNGold
03-08-2009, 08:31 PM
There are dozens of posters on PD that write better than many journalists...some a lot better. T-Bird should probably draw a salary.

Anyway, I would consider PD to be a better source of information about NBA basketball than Dime and many other rags. The more questionable action is if a poster on PD quotes Dime. Anyway, with all its warts (e.g the arrogance and whining about other posters), PD is top notch.

Dr. Hibbert
03-08-2009, 08:55 PM
I think some of you are missing the point. It's not that people on here is stupid, it's that in the world of journalism, citing a message board as a source is incredibly lazy and looked down upon. I'm finishing up my BA in Journalism down here at IU, and if I ever turned in an assignment citing a message board (that wasn't about a message board) - even for some short assignment that has no chance of being published - I have no doubt that I would receive a failing grade.

There might be smart, well-versed people around here. That's true. If that were the case, the smart thing for any publication to do would be to message those users, ascertain their contact information and cite their real names when attributing a quote (instead of ...said PD user JoeSmith, ...said Joe Smith, Avon, Pacers fan and user at PD.)

BlueNGold
03-08-2009, 09:52 PM
I think some of you are missing the point. It's not that people on here is stupid, it's that in the world of journalism, citing a message board as a source is incredibly lazy and looked down upon. I'm finishing up my BA in Journalism down here at IU, and if I ever turned in an assignment citing a message board (that wasn't about a message board) - even for some short assignment that has no chance of being published - I have no doubt that I would receive a failing grade.

There might be smart, well-versed people around here. That's true. If that were the case, the smart thing for any publication to do would be to message those users, ascertain their contact information and cite their real names when attributing a quote (instead of ...said PD user JoeSmith, ...said Joe Smith, Avon, Pacers fan and user at PD.)

I don't think people are missing your point at all. I think people are just trying to make their own points.

Yes, on the surface it is laughable that anyone paid to write for a magazine would quote a poster on a message board. That's too obvious. However, as laughable as that may seem to be, I tend to value substance over form...maybe to a fault. That is, the fact PD is a message board does not make me devalue the information here or consider it a less credible source than one of the many NBA rags.

In fact, I think politics is so injected into media outlets and the bigger publications, I seriously believe you will find more accurate and credible information in sources like PD. The information here has to stand up to other viewpoints in a true marketplace of ideas. The information in the media is often filtered through a small group of like-minded individuals who serve their opinion up as truth. I guess you can quote that too, but I seriously question the quality of that information too.

Los Angeles
03-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Of all the posts in the world on this fine forum, THAT's the one that gets attention?

Shoot me now.

WetBob
03-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Of all the posts in the world on this fine forum, THAT's the one that gets attention?

Shoot me now.

Excellence can't be ignored forever.

Los Angeles
03-08-2009, 10:21 PM

:D

BlueNGold
03-08-2009, 10:24 PM

So...are you going to seek royalties or copyright infringement?

Kemo
03-08-2009, 10:57 PM

Shoot me now.

HAHAHAHA !!!

A-MEN !!

I remember that post too, and thought to myself .. " Is this guy foreal?"

I mean I understand what he was saying... But anyone who knows ANYTHING about a concussion , will tell you they are nothing to fool with PERIOD... Heck look at Chris Benoit , the man had several brain lesions from multiple concussions over his wrestling career... When they cut his brain open to study it , they could not believe it ...They said his brain looked like that of an 80- or 90-year-old suffering from a type of dementia.

I SERIOUSLY suggest everyone take a look and read this article on concussions in sports..

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/fighttothedeath/concussions.html

Kemo
03-08-2009, 10:58 PM

:D:D
lol

Trader Joe
03-08-2009, 11:47 PM

Have you considered a career in the medical field? I'm sure there are some med schools who are dying to have someone with in depth knowledge of mild concussions, or excuse me, head aches.

JayRedd
03-09-2009, 12:38 AM
I'm finishing up my BA in Journalism

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck.

Bball
03-09-2009, 03:47 AM

Best. Comeback. Ever.

:D

Naptown_Seth
03-09-2009, 04:36 AM

Especially when that point was ripped to shreds right here in the first place. Talk about cherry picking, treating that post as if it were remotely representative of informed or casual Pacers fans is ridiculous.

It can if ignorance is drowning it out.

Roaming Gnome
03-09-2009, 10:42 PM

Shoot me now.

That was my first thought, too! :computer:

I guess if Sports Talk Radio can survive the uninformed caller, we will survive the notion of a poster stating a concussion as nothing more then an over-grown headache.

croz24
03-09-2009, 11:33 PM
SLAM was always my favorite. only PLAYBOY ranked as a better magazine imo.

Mourning
03-10-2009, 02:37 AM

Shoot me now.

So...are you going to seek royalties or copyright infringement?

Have you considered a career in the medical field? I'm sure there are some med schools who are dying to have someone with in depth knowledge of mild concussions, or excuse me, head aches.

:spitout: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This topic is developing into a hilarious direction :nod: