PDA

View Full Version : The NBA MVP

MSA2CF
06-27-2004, 02:09 PM
[I'm not sure if this has ever been debated before so let me know if you guys have done this.]

I was sitting here at the computer yesterday staring at the paper shredder and trash can when I came up with the idea that perhaps there should be 2 MVP awards, like MLB does.

There would be an Eastern Conference MVP and a Western Conference MVP.

A benefit:
It may make the decision easier and allow for less controversy, but I don't remember it ever being a problem. (Tim Duncan over Jason Kidd was talked about recently, but it wasn't really a problem, was it?)

A con:
It may lessen the importance/honor of the award because two are given out, not just one.

I was just speculating & wondered what you guys would think about this. I'm willing to bet that this has been discussed some time in the past, but I wasn't there in the past. :death:

Anthem
06-27-2004, 02:16 PM
I'd rather have just one. It means more, IMO.

SpADeD
06-27-2004, 03:26 PM
I like the idea to have 2 MVPs.

Anthem
06-27-2004, 03:29 PM
I also don't like class basketball. :arrgh:

Hicks
06-27-2004, 04:03 PM
I suppose to make it more of a competition:

Have the voters decide an East MVP, and West MVP, release the winner, then after the Finals vote for which is THE MVP (in other words which was ultimately the better player this year, and assuming both MVP's teams are in the playoffs, you can use the playoff results to help decide).

Just to spice it up a big.

Unclebuck
06-27-2004, 09:42 PM
I like only having one

Kstat
06-27-2004, 09:50 PM
why dont we have an east coach of the year, a west? How about a central division MVP and an atlantic division MVP? How about an award for the best power forward from a mid-major college?

Or maybe we could have just one MVP.:sarcasm:

There's a reason why baseball has two MVPs: they have two different LEAGUES, they play against DIFFERENT competition every year. Guys can go entire careers without facing each other. In the NBA everybody plays everybody at least twice.

And Hicks, the MVP doesnt always play on the best team. Deciding it by the playoffs is irrational.

I've never understood class basketball. I mean, why would anyone want to play in a crap system to win a second-rate award and fool yourself into thinking you've won something meaningful when in fact you havent. If you dont want to play the BEST, you have no buisness in sports.

MSA2CF
06-27-2004, 10:37 PM
You bring up a good point, Kstat. What if they altered the schedules so that they didn't play the other conference during the regular season?

Kstat
06-27-2004, 10:39 PM
well then you'd have two seperate LEAGUES, and it would be prudent to have 2 different sets of awards.